DarkPhenix
05-04-2004, 09:44 AM
2004 Rolls-Royce Phantom
Base price $325,000
Vehicle layout Front engine, rwd, 4-door, 5-pass
Engine 6.75L/453-hp V-12, DOHC, 4 valves/cyl
0-60 mph, sec 5.7 (est)
On sale in U.S. Currently

"Although BMW touches are evident inside (including pushbutton electronic engine starting and a version of the German maker's iDrive computer-screen controller), for the most part, the cabin is pure Rolls: supple leathers, hand-rubbed wood veneers, and carpets deep enough to contain undiscovered marine life. The front buckets are intentionally high off the floor to improve the view over hood; the rear bench is higher still to improve the view over heads. Each front door contains a neatly integrated umbrella that pops out for dashes through the rain or smacking paparazzi silly. Back-seat passengers enter through a rear-hinged opening that on anything but a Rolls we'd call a "suicide door." Once seated, outboard rear passengers will find that their faces are discreetly shielded by extra-wide C-pillars, a design element sure to please dignitaries and Hollywood celebrities awaiting trial."

"On the road, the Phantom proves it's very much a new Rolls-Royce. Dip into the throttle, and the car romps with an eagerness and intensity that belie its outsized dimensions. Handling, despite a fair amount of body roll, is surprisingly good, and the brakes are reassuringly powerful. The Phantom, for all its regal bearing and luxurious appointments, is a fun car to drive hard.

Yes, Winston: The British-car tinkerers from Munich have scored again. Next thing you know, they'll be drinking warm beer."

Motor Trend (www.motortrend.com/roadtests/luxury/ 112_0307_frst_rr/index2.html)

Coventrysucks
05-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Having had the oppertunity to have a bit of a poke around in one, I have to say, that on the whole I was very impressed.
The level of quality in the wood, and leather is just stunning.
The seats are immensly comfortable, and there is enough room for a quick game of polo in the back. :)

There were a few dissapointments: The light covers in the back look like they are supposed to be frosted glass, but they are really rather poor quality plastic. I don't suppose it would have been that expensive to have made them out of glass.
Also, there wasn't much for you to do in the back, however, I am sure you can order a DVD player and screens and etc.
I suppose if you are going to have a showroom car costing £250,000, you'd want to keep the options list short.

I think it is a credit to the designers that it looks much smaller than it is, unless you see one in the flesh. It is HUGE, you have to step up into the cabin, more like an SUV than any other car I have seen.

Unfortunately, due to the smallness of the showroom, and the largeness of the car, it was difficult to get many exterior shots, and also I was running out of pics and battery on my camera :(

If I had to pick between this and the Maybach, I would definately take the Rolls, it may not be as fast, but I'd rather have the quality, and peace of mind that i hand't bought an enlarged S Class.

PS Sorry for the fuzzy pics, I forgot that it doesn't seem to focus when you have the flash turned off. (how pissed off was I when I downloaded them to the computer?) :rolleyes:

byronleehk
05-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Fixed that interior pic for you :D

Coventrysucks
05-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Whats wrong with tilting your head? ;)