PDA

View Full Version : Aussie driver secures beer at expense of his child

Matra et Alpine
05-13-2008, 04:03 PM
http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/y1plBcvTpw51GJHyo5ASuJV8d8fvn4D4eFmliJ8vxh4dMPif8-MbVQxFz6R4eCQUZwJ9hdaSqwtC3A?PARTNER=WRITER (http://tkfiles.storage.msn.com/y1plBcvTpw51GIr95Yzi4OaW_njaHewPp7Jja6WDPWETVeWbVM 04Wswt1M6t7D5rCiAKBvHeKsD3JU?PARTNER=WRITER)Angry police in Australia have fined a driver after discovering he had used a seatbelt to secure a 30-can crate of beer while his young child was left unrestrained on the vehicle’s floor.

The driver was handed a fine of 750 Australian Dollars (approx £362) for failing to ensure a child was wearing a seatbelt as well as driving an unregistered and uninsured vehicle.

Police said they were "shocked and appalled" when they pulled over the car south of Alice Springs in Australia's Northern Territory. Despite the popularity of beer down under, Constable Wayne Burnett revealed that, in his experience, the incident was the first time that beer had taken priority over a child.

Gotta love you aussies :) Its official then. . . . . . . . Australians REALLY dont give a XXXX for anything else!

whiteballz
05-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Its in the northern territory, that explains it..

Zytek_Fan
05-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Its in the northern territory, that explains it..

Lots of incest in that area? :p

Matra et Alpine
05-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Craziness from elsewhere in the world ---- go the Dutchies :)

Caught by cops at 137kph - on his arse
By Visordown News

Sliding biker snapped by speed camera at over 80mph

http://www.visordown.com/news/images/speed.jpg

What a way to get a speeding ticket

THIS DUTCH biker has just clocked a new record in the Netherlands, for getting caught speeding by the cops on camera at 137kph - while sliding along on his backside.

The unnamed 50-year old suffered a broken hand in the spill, but wasn't charged because when the picture was taken he was not technically riding his bike.

Caught by cops at 137kph – on his arse - Visordown Motorcycle news : General news (http://www.visordown.com/motorcyclenews/view/caught_by_cops_at_the_137kph_on_his_arse/4590.html)

Matra et Alpine
05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
THIS DUTCH biker ...... unnamed 50-year old

hmmmm, when was henk4's last post ??

Sledgehammer
05-13-2008, 04:28 PM
...but wasn't charged because when the picture was taken he was not technically riding his bike.

Made me laugh today, which is a rarity considering I have Mono.

Jack_Bauer
05-13-2008, 04:35 PM
So is this the random road/beer related tomfoolery thread?

If so, hows about this; turning a beer crate into an automobile and driving it on the highway...

Driving a beer crate on Yahoo! Video (http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/1130691/4109544)

:D

NicFromLA
05-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Kids can be annoying. And beer is beer. So there you go.

ScionDriver
05-13-2008, 04:49 PM
There was a guy at a baseball game last week who caught a home run while holding his kid which he just about dangled over the edge of the wall while snatching the ball.

whiteballz
05-13-2008, 05:14 PM
The northern territory is little known for its smarts, I'll just say that.

clutch-monkey
05-13-2008, 05:46 PM
i don't get why he was booked? anyone can make kids. getting beer right, however..

kingofthering
05-13-2008, 07:39 PM
There was a guy at a baseball game last week who caught a home run while holding his kid which he just about dangled over the edge of the wall while snatching the ball.

...or that woman who killed a man with her car because he insulted her sports team.

henk4
05-13-2008, 11:38 PM
hmmmm, when was henk4's last post ??
in this case the biker hit the brakes when he noted the (permanent) speed camera, and lost control. Therefore an unfit driver, as he could have also met with a road crossing dog or cat...

A couple of weeks ago we almost got involved in a mass collision in Germany, when people noted a battery of non- speed cameras along the Autobahn south of Frankfurt in a 100 km zone and people abruptly started breaking. In other words, if you are not sticking to the law, speed cameras are dangerous...

and no, I have never ever driven a motorcycle...

IBrake4Rainbows
05-14-2008, 03:37 AM
If we're being honest, considering how people drive in the Northern Territory, this kid is safer on the floor.

clutch-monkey
05-14-2008, 04:01 AM
clearly lowering the speed limit would help, you know, like it did on the highways up there

henk4
05-14-2008, 04:24 AM
If we're being honest, considering how people drive in the Northern Territory, this kid is safer on the floor.

on the other hand, I think there is a global surplus of children and a shortage of beer;)

IBrake4Rainbows
05-14-2008, 04:27 AM
Maybe Beer IS children

</soylent green>

clutch-monkey
05-14-2008, 04:28 AM
taken from another forum:

I know the copper that caught him. We used to work in traffic together in Alice Springs. Apparently there were two passengers in the back with a case of beer strapped in between them. The kiddy was sitting on the transmission tunnel. He also got done for unreg and uninsured. I'll give you one guess as to their ethnicity.

IBrake4Rainbows
05-14-2008, 04:33 AM
Having lived in Alice Springs for 7 years you would not believe some of the deathtraps that emerge from the desert.

however there is some ingenious stuff that comes out of the world of the Tanami.....

Bush Mechanics (http://youtube.com/watch?v=H-tsKPlDn7U)

drakkie
05-15-2008, 02:08 AM
in this case the biker hit the brakes when he noted the (permanent) speed camera, and lost control. Therefore an unfit driver, as he could have also met with a road crossing dog or cat...

A couple of weeks ago we almost got involved in a mass collision in Germany, when people noted a battery of non- speed cameras along the Autobahn south of Frankfurt in a 100 km zone and people abruptly started breaking. In other words, if you are not sticking to the law, speed cameras are dangerous...

and no, I have never ever driven a motorcycle...

Offcourse there immediately was the discussion if this speed camera should be removed because it endangers traffic and everything..

In the case you describe I would probably not have survived. My brakes are working allright, but compared to those in modern cars they are nothing. I have had multiple times that I almost crashed into the back of somebody because they slammed their brakes full. Admitted though I do sometimes drive a little less than 20 metres behind somebody on the "snelweg" or autobahn. A car like for example the C5 shouldnt have a problem with a braking force of 10m/s^2 and mine perhaps just a guessed 5m/s^2... It was one of the things my driving teacher noted as something I often forgot, looking in the mirror before braking. I now always do it, but apparently many forgot it..

Matra et Alpine
05-15-2008, 05:02 AM
Drakkie, if your brakes are that bad then don't waste time looking in rear mirrors .. please spend it observing ahead of you and maintaining a SAFE distance given the standard of your vehicle.

IBrake4Rainbows
05-15-2008, 06:00 AM
Drakkie drives a white van - i highly doubt he's looking at his rear view or side mirrors that often.

As bad as it sounds it's the person hitting you in the ass' fault if they hit you. It's your fault if you hit the guy in front. Defensive driving will teach you to look where you need to go - not what you are trying not to hit.

And if you know the car is bad....buy some new brake pads? better tyres? take a defensive driving course?

henk4
05-15-2008, 06:08 AM
take a defensive driving course?

state in this case which of those five words is redundant...

IBrake4Rainbows
05-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Apologies.

*Offensive.

Lagonda
05-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Lol, that's a low fine. Driving around in an unregisterd and uninsured car without seatbelts would probably end in confiscation of the vehicle, a revoked drivers license and a fine. If not jail time for driving around with no insurance.

drakkie
05-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Drakkie drives a white van - i highly doubt he's looking at his rear view or side mirrors that often.

As bad as it sounds it's the person hitting you in the ass' fault if they hit you. It's your fault if you hit the guy in front. Defensive driving will teach you to look where you need to go - not what you are trying not to hit.

And if you know the car is bad....buy some new brake pads? better tyres? take a defensive driving course?

In the van the rear mirror is completely useless anyway. All you see is coal dust and some tiny windows that are way too small anyway. I am the only one that kind of drives normally of my colleaugues anyway.

Offcourse I always look for it to remain safe. Safety first ! Especially with passengers !

Brake pads and everything else has all been replaced already by me. It is a cheap-ass car though and it will always remain to be.. Thinking ahead is the trick, but in some cases you just get distracted or something and it gets tough.

Cotterik
05-15-2008, 03:14 PM
i'm surprised he didnt go for the easier option of drinking the entire crate then driving his son home!

clutch-monkey
05-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Lol, that's a low fine. Driving around in an unregisterd and uninsured car without seatbelts would probably end in confiscation of the vehicle, a revoked drivers license and a fine. If not jail time for driving around with no insurance.
could well be a double standard for aborigines. that and police are pretty easy out there.

however there is some ingenious stuff that comes out of the world of the Tanami.....

Bush Mechanics (http://youtube.com/watch?v=H-tsKPlDn7U)

that show is built of win. i love the solutions they come up with! using the roof as a trailer ftw

IBrake4Rainbows
05-16-2008, 07:44 AM
And trust me - having an Uninsured car is not illegal in Australia. Just highly inadvisable.

As for mirrors being useless drakkie......god damn it.

Clutch - We (my family) got a puncture in our Honda City Pro we had in Alice springs about 35km out of town.....we actually used the Spinifex trick to get us into town. my dad was SO pleased with himself :p

2ndclasscitizen
05-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Kids can be annoying. And beer is beer. So there you go.

I do hereby confer upon the Nic the title of Australian. Welcome aboard.

And trust me - having an Uninsured car is not illegal in Australia. Just highly inadvisable.

You sure about that one? I thought Compulsory Third Party insurance was so called because it was Compulsory.

Blue Supra
05-16-2008, 01:12 PM
in the ACT its built into your rego but in NSW its seperate (green slip)

That only covers PEOPLE damage, not physical damage. Obviously though if youre driving without rego you dont have insurance...

john14
05-16-2008, 02:39 PM
Oh well, at least the 30 cans of beer were not hurt or killed... which is the most important thing. :D

Matra et Alpine
05-16-2008, 02:57 PM
best of all

He has four ex wives and a foster child

:)
boom-boom

whiteballz
05-16-2008, 04:38 PM
best of all

boom-boom

:rolleyes: How proud of that joke are you?

monaroCountry
05-16-2008, 08:34 PM

Right because evrything in NT is within walking distance like in Belgium.

By the way I do agree that the fine should have been far harsher. Every other Australian states and territory would have thrown the book. In New South Wales and many other states in Australia you could have two people without belts and there goes your wallet and driving previlages.

Matra et Alpine
05-17-2008, 01:42 AM
:rolleyes: How proud of that joke are you?
ashamed actually, but posted it here while I was still groaning from hearing it first :)

Lagonda
05-17-2008, 04:03 AM
Right because evrything in NT is within walking distance like in Belgium.

What do you mean ? :confused:

Blue Supra
05-17-2008, 08:37 AM
The NT is roughly the size of england (if not bigger) but has about 300,000 people in it...

Thats a lot of area to patrol for not many people.

2ndclasscitizen
05-17-2008, 09:29 AM
in the ACT its built into your rego but in NSW its seperate (green slip)

I am aware of that. But I thought you needed to have a green slip to get rego. We're so lucky that CTP is still built in to our rego.

stadev
05-17-2008, 01:31 PM
best of all

boom-boomWaa, that joke. I keep hearing it but I don't get it! Could you explain it pleeeease? :)

Matra et Alpine
05-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Australian beers :

XXXX
and
Fosters

so "4X wives" and "foster child".

It's nto that funy :)

fpv_gtho
05-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Australian beers :

XXXX
and
Fosters

so "4X wives" and "foster child".

It's nto that funy :)

Nobody here drinks those 2, that must be why we didnt get it

john14
05-17-2008, 09:48 PM
Nobody here drinks those 2, that must be why we didnt get it

I understood Matra's joke and I had a laugh. fpv_gtho is correct though, nobody drinks XXXX and Fosters in Australia. :D

IBrake4Rainbows
05-18-2008, 12:39 AM
Thats an NSW thing, off the top of my head.

It's added to Rego in the ACT, so it's not sif you purchase it separate.

it's definately not in the NT - and sif these cars are registered.

fpv_gtho
05-18-2008, 05:25 AM
Either way,

Registered car =/= Uninsured car.