PDA

View Full Version : 1889 Dollar Coin

Niko_Fx
06-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Somebody paid in my store with this coin, so I decided to exchange it for a $1 bill and take it home to see how much is worth. We usually get a lot of Half-Dollar (US does not have half-dollars anymore) and Dollar coins from the 1970s, which are worth pretty much nothing, but this one captured my attention since it was so old.

Works out that it sells for an average of $30 on ebay. It's not worth a lot of money, but why would someone use it to pay for something? Meh, it's mine now :)

I took a picture of it next to a quarter to show its size, is a pretty big coin.

The_Canuck
06-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Ill give you a loonie for it...

NSXType-R
06-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Question is, why did the person not notice that it was such an old coin?

aiasib
06-12-2008, 03:55 PM
because it is a fake?

i'm not mocking, but that would be a logical explanation

you should go to a numismatist and check it out.

Niko_Fx
06-12-2008, 04:51 PM
because it is a fake?

i'm not mocking, but that would be a logical explanation

you should go to a numismatist and check it out.

What would be the point of creating such a big and heavy coin that shines like Silver and is heavy like Silver so that you can only get US $1 out of it?

Counterfeiters go for the big bucks, I'll have second thoughts the day I get to see a $100 coin, but this is definitely real.

aiasib
06-12-2008, 06:04 PM
you have a point, but here in sweden we've been getting fake 10 kronor coins (approx. 1.5 dollars) from the ukraine, don't ask me why i think its ridiculous. it could just be a pet project, I myself have a couple of 1799 dollars and when i scavenged them (from the flea market) i saw another coin that said "United States of Maxxico" on it, it turned out they were made in china in the 1980s. but don't take my word, i'm more of an asian coin hobbyist.

that being said, I hope it is real because it is a good find and in very good condition, the luster is fantastic, and there no tiny flecks and dents.

christ your coin has sold for $6,000 in some auctions!

whatever you do don't buy a chilidog with it :P

fisetdavid26
06-12-2008, 06:49 PM
I would enter either pic #2 or #3 in the next general photo comp. I don't know, there's a feeling about them...

Very interesting find. So well preserved...

Niko_Fx
06-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Well I did polish the living hell out of it before taking the pictures.... I should have taken a before / after picture.

baddabang
06-12-2008, 07:39 PM
I have a few from that year. Want to polish mine?

ldaragos
06-13-2008, 02:25 AM
if its real it should be silver! it looks in good nick but do not polish it !!!!

ruim20
06-13-2008, 02:41 AM
Amazinh find, such a weird thing using that coin to buy something... that's got to have a story behind it, lol.

Klemmel
06-13-2008, 03:28 AM
Isn't it a bit shiny to be 119 years old?

aiasib
06-13-2008, 03:39 AM
if its real it should be silver! it looks in good nick but do not polish it !!!!

true, if you polish it, you might actually devalue it.

teatako
06-13-2008, 02:37 PM
you have a point, but here in sweden we've been getting fake 10 kronor coins (approx. 1.5 dollars) from the ukraine, don't ask me why i think its ridiculous. it could just be a pet project, I myself have a couple of 1799 dollars and when i scavenged them (from the flea market) i saw another coin that said "United States of Maxxico" on it, it turned out they were made in china in the 1980s. but don't take my word, i'm more of an asian coin hobbyist.

that being said, I hope it is real because it is a good find and in very good condition, the luster is fantastic, and there no tiny flecks and dents.

christ your coin has sold for $6,000 in some auctions!

whatever you do don't buy a chilidog with it :P

you saw it and thatīs it right? its not like i could ask for a picture or anything like it? ill look it up on ebay or something right after i hit submit reply but just in case. that coin sounds like a lot of fun!

#1 Mustang Fan
06-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Well I did polish the living hell out of it before taking the pictures.... I should have taken a before / after picture.

Isn't it a bit shiny to be 119 years old?

He polished it, It's best to read before you post anything.

Niko_Fx
06-13-2008, 02:52 PM
I just wanted to see how good it could look, I didn't really know it would lose value by doing that... I barely know anything about coins. I plan on keeping it, at least for now, so it doesn't really matter.

#1 Mustang Fan
06-13-2008, 03:49 PM
It's looks better polished, I think. Sentimental value ;)