View Full Version : Hartge Z4 going sideways vid

Rijoh
05-05-2004, 03:40 AM
400 hp in a Z4, what do you want more:
http://www.autovisie.nl/download/cliparchief/20040505_bmw.mov

Matra et Alpine
05-05-2004, 03:56 AM
400 hp in a Z4, what do you want more:
For him to be able to drive it properly and quicker by doing what it is deseigned for - goind round corners on a line.
Showboating is for wannabees :)

Coventrysucks
05-05-2004, 05:53 AM
Anyone can get in a car and drive it straight through corners, but I doubt there are as many who can skillfully drift through them.

True, it isn't useful in any form other than showing off, but surely winning any motor race is just another form of showing off at how you can drive the fastest. ;)

Matra et Alpine
05-05-2004, 06:58 AM
Anyone can get in a car and drive it straight through corners, but I doubt there are as many who can skillfully drift through them.
100% wrong conventry, sorry :)

To take the fastest line in a corner means to have the car right on the edge of grip, slip and stability.

To drift a car is dropping the speed and replacing the balancing on an edge with balancing on a huge plank. Holding a drift is easy in front engine, RWD. Mid engine RWD next and the hardest is rear engine RWD. You don't see many old 911s drifting becuse the difference from being in control in a drift and going off backwards is tiny.

Drifting has a huge area of 'safety' in the amount of leaway in throttle input, steering ( and occasionaly clutch/handbrake ). So the skill necessary is different and lower than doing the fastest line.

At the peak of drifting on tracks the Japanese are taking it WAY up to the level where the safety margins are lower, but sorry they're still below the peak of racing.

True, it isn't useful in any form other than showing off, but surely winning any motor race is just another form of showing off at how you can drive the fastest. ;)

See your point but don't agree on the scope of it.
Winning a race is competing, drifting is showing off.
Is NHL the same as Olympic ice dancing ?
Hey it's ice skates and 'winning' so it should be.
Obviosuly not and neither is showmanship the same as racing.
Each has their place and audience but they're way different :)

Do you think WWF is 'real' and as much a sport as full contact karate ??

[ Hmmm, I kinda like the idea of a cross-over sport of NHL and ice-dancing. Just seeing those pretty dancers bounced off the walls would be worth it :) ]

added: - I like the skill shown in drifting and it is an interesting 'sport'. It's re-invented by the Japanese into an art-form from the scandinavians who just did it for fun and to win rallies :)

350hp_civic
05-05-2004, 07:05 PM
drifting is fun :)

Matra et Alpine
05-05-2004, 07:31 PM
drifting is fun :)
I agree.
The question is over the skill and the sense in doing it on the street.
Here's me doing a wee bit for fun :)
http://www.iwsconsultants.com/cars/a610 movie.wmv

Rijoh
05-06-2004, 01:39 AM
The guy drifting the Z4 also races with a Clio V6 so he's a proffesional

Matra et Alpine
05-06-2004, 01:43 AM
The guy drifting the Z4 also races with a Clio V6 so he's a proffesional
I'm surprised at that,
I'd not expect a pro to do that with "road furniture" on the exit.
The traffic sign.
That is why I questioned it. Even so the driving wasn't the best :) :) :)
Is he a 'pro' or a club racer with money ??
There is a whole diffrence in attitude when you earn your living racing a car !!