PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Diesel

henk4
06-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Porsche has just ordered 15.000 V6 TDi engines from Audi. They will be put into the Cayenne (240 BHP about 500 NM Torque). The model will be put on the market sometime during 2009.
Probably not a bad decision, taking into account that in Germany 95% of all Q7 sales concerns diesel versions...
Mr. Wiedeking must have had some sleepless nights regarding this decision, but it is always nice to see common sense prevail over "Prinzipien Reiterei"

Ferrer
06-16-2008, 07:30 AM
I was thinking about caring and then realised they make the Cayenne.

faksta
06-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Ehh.. I supposed the diesel engine would have something to do with a 911...

fpv_gtho
06-16-2008, 07:41 AM

Or a boxer for that matter.

I suppose a diesel Cayenne was inevitable though. Any idea if all the current markets will get it alongside the petrol models.

henk4
06-16-2008, 08:03 AM

for this purpose Porsche has approached Subaru.....

pimento
06-16-2008, 08:11 AM
It's been pretty silly for it not to have a diesel available, they can't argue the performance thing when the base model is a V6 that's slower than a (V6) people carrier anyway...

henk4
06-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Mr. Wiedeking in the past has been quoted as saying: Diesel engines only exist because of the European subsidies for diesel fuel....and were not for Porsche.

NicFromLA
06-16-2008, 09:21 AM
I don't really consider the Cayenne a Porsche anyway, certainly not the V6s.

NicFromLA
06-16-2008, 09:24 AM
for this purpose Porsche has approached Subaru.....

I hope you're joking. If not this goes right to the top of the list of Stupid Thing Porsche is Spending Money On Instead of Racing.

Wouter Melissen
06-16-2008, 09:42 AM
I hope you're joking. If not this goes right to the top of the list of Stupid Thing Porsche is Spending Money On Instead of Racing.

I believe Porsche just scored a 1-2 in class at Le Mans, while one of their subsidiaries took the overall win.

Ferrer
06-16-2008, 10:13 AM
I believe Porsche just scored a 1-2 in class at Le Mans, while one of their subsidiaries took the overall win.
LOL at "one of their subsidiaries". :D

pimento
06-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Mr. Wiedeking in the past has been quoted as saying: Diesel engines only exist because of the European subsidies for diesel fuel....and were not for Porsche.

Myea, when they only made sports cars I'd agree with him. With an SUV in the line-up, and with the leaps and bounds diesel tech has made in the last five years in regards to performance, that comment smacks of appeasing the fanboys more than anything else.

Diesel sports car = fail

Diesel SUV = ...still fail, but less fail than petrol SUV.

[For the purposes of the above anti-SUV trolling, SUV is being used in the most disdainful, mumsey way possible. Actual off-road vehicles that are actually used off road are exempt.]

:D

McReis
06-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Porsche has just ordered 15.000 V6 TDi engines from Audi. They will be put into the Cayenne (240 BHP about 500 NM Torque). The model will be put on the market sometime during 2009.
Probably not a bad decision, taking into account that in Germany 95% of all Q7 sales concerns diesel versions...
Mr. Wiedeking must have had some sleepless nights regarding this decision, but it is always nice to see common sense prevail over "Prinzipien Reiterei"
Now you have an excuse. Go and buy it! :D

crisis
06-16-2008, 05:12 PM
If Henk sees this I screwed but I would seriously consider a twin turbo diesel V8 Cruiser next time around if the fact that it wouldn’t take 10 years to recoup the extra outlay in fuel savings.

Just saying.

Ps I am surprised there isn’t a Cayenne diesel anyway.

kingofthering
06-16-2008, 05:15 PM

Why? It's better that they stick in a diesel flat-6 in a 911 than a V(insert number.)

NicFromLA
06-16-2008, 07:02 PM

I believe I heard Porsche was "virtually uncontested" in LMP2, a weak class to begin with. Further more are you saying that Audi is now Porsche's racing division? Finally, Porsche used to own the smaller GT Class (currently GT2, formerly GT3), now they're getting completely worked by Ferrari.

The_Canuck
06-16-2008, 07:54 PM
now they're getting completely worked by Ferrari.

If it weren't for superior numbers and an unlucky crash...

fisetdavid26
06-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Yes, because we all know how much Pieter loves SUV's!

henk4
06-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Diesel sports car = fail

Auid R10: Fail
Peugeot 908: Fail......(in a way yes)

henk4
06-17-2008, 12:09 AM
If Henk sees this I screwed but I would seriously consider a twin turbo diesel V8 Cruiser next time around if the fact that it wouldn’t take 10 years to recoup the extra outlay in fuel savings.

Just saying.

Ps I am surprised there isn’t a Cayenne diesel anyway.

If I needed an offroad vehicle such a car or a V6 Discovery would probably be my choice. If I would need a Chelsea Tractor you can call a doctor.

henk4
06-17-2008, 12:10 AM

available only by mid 2009....

drakkie
06-17-2008, 02:43 AM
Diesel sports car = fail

More or less all competitive cars in the WTCC use Diesels...:rolleyes:

Wouter Melissen
06-17-2008, 02:45 AM
More or less all competitive cars in the WTCC use Diesels...:rolleyes:

Thanks Mr Engineer. I don't think the rest of us consider the Seat Leon a sports car though.

pimento
06-17-2008, 07:26 AM
Auid R10: Fail
Peugeot 908: Fail......(in a way yes)

My friend, you misunderstand me. I mean sports cars in the ilk of the 911, or F430. Insofar as the current covered wheel racing rules allow, diesel is the future. In fact, diesel is the reason Audi and Peugeot combat each other.

Road legal sports cars that have world-wide advertising bumpf require petrol. Diesel is still regarded as the fuel of the outback and the economist.

henk4
06-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Road legal sports cars that have world-wide advertising bumpf require petrol. Diesel is still regarded as the fuel of the outback and the economist.

it now seems very likely that the R8 Diesel (not with a V12 but with a V8) will become available for the economists....

pimento
06-17-2008, 07:36 AM
it now seems very likely that the R8 Diesel (not with a V12 but with a V8) will become available for the economists....

When that's a success, I shall praise the intellegent sports car driver. Until then, I'll remain an impartial observer.

henk4
06-17-2008, 07:37 AM
When that's a success, I shall praise the intellegent sports car driver. Until then, I'll remain an impartial observer.

well, you may want to promote intelligence among sports car drivers.....

pimento
06-17-2008, 07:53 AM
well, you may want to promote intelligence among sports car drivers.....

I'd love to. Unfortunately, my application to the Aussie Top Gear series went ignored and my blog site is both non-specific to cars and mostly ignored anyway. However, in my small way I try to influence my people to the adnvances in the world of diesel as much as I can.

henk4
06-17-2008, 08:09 AM
However, in my small way I try to influence my people to the adnvances in the world of diesel as much as I can.

good man...

clutch-monkey
06-17-2008, 08:10 AM
actually myself and a few other porsches used diesel today, just not in the way you'd prefer, henk :)

henk4
06-17-2008, 08:11 AM
actually myself and a few other porsches used diesel today, just not in the way you'd prefer, henk :)

it is a multipurpose commodity.

clutch-monkey
06-17-2008, 08:12 AM
ha! that is true.

NicFromLA
06-17-2008, 08:50 AM
If it weren't for superior numbers and an unlucky crash...

. . . Ferrari would still have won because from everything I read Ferrari is dominating the GT2 Class and has been for over a year. Of the two major sports car companies, Ferrari still seems to believe "racing improves the breed," while Porsche's philosophy seems to now be, "who cares about racing, let's buy VW!"

Wouter Melissen
06-17-2008, 08:53 AM
. . . Ferrari would still have won because from everything I read Ferrari is dominating the GT2 Class and has been for over a year. Of the two major sports car companies, Ferrari still seems to believe "racing improves the breed," while Porsche's philosophy seems to now be, "who cares about racing, let's buy VW!"

Porsche was running one-two when the two cars decided to collide and jointly hit the wall. The Porsches also qualified one-two-four, which is quite impressive considering there were three of them against seven Ferraris.

Ferrer
06-17-2008, 08:55 AM
I doubt many buy a sportscar for the economy.

In my opinion a diesel shouldn't be in a sportscar.

Well they did finish one-two in LMP2, didn't they? Which is more than what Ferrari can say...

f6fhellcat13
06-17-2008, 01:22 PM
comparing the R10 and the 908 to other lmp1 cars is apples and oranges. The fia laid down different rules for the diesel cars than the gas, or petrol if you wish, cars. That said i love the pug. Also, about v-'s in a 911, i heard that back in the 70's a couple guys took the 302 v8 from a boss mustang and put it in the 911's arse, it was more powerful and,surprisingly lighter than the boxer. or were you talking about diesel v's.....?

Kultag
06-17-2008, 01:51 PM
What about this: a diesel-hybrid 911 with 20 inch rims, just to make it fashionable? :eek: :) And an 8, no 9 speed gearbox.

Ferrer
06-17-2008, 03:29 PM
What about this: a diesel-hybrid 911 with 20 inch rims, just to make it fashionable? :eek: :) And an 8, no 9 speed gearbox.
Triple clutch?

pimento
06-17-2008, 03:52 PM
Triple clutch?

Needs at least seven. Aww hell, give it one for each gear. And one more for good luck.

Ivo Malz
10-11-2008, 09:56 AM
'ere ya go. Porsche Diesel.

Porsche Diesel (http://porschediesel.stereofx.org/)

:D

There actually was a chap who caused quite a stir among Porsche enthusiasts by bolting a Porsche Diesel badge onto his freshly restoed 356 speedster.

jump15vc
10-11-2008, 10:06 PM
my friend told me about a guy in mexico who bought a ferrari back in the 90's and painted it pink, the dealership saw it and took it back, apparently pink ferraris are persona non grata