PDA

View Full Version : F-SAE UNIMET Car

Niko_Fx
05-05-2004, 09:20 AM
This car was just finished by a Venezuelan team of college students who are going to be representing their car in some competitions in the US.

I've never seen this before. They're supposedly going to be presenting the car the 19th of this month in Michigan...Does anybody know if they actually race or is it just to show the cars?? This one has been tested for racing so I guess it would be up for any race.

Info on the car:

The engine is a HONDA CBR 600 F4i which develops around 70hp.
The weight is less than 300kilos (no pilot)
Racing suspension
Disc brakes on the 4 wheels

Just so we have an idea of how fast this car might be:

Lotus Exige S2 has 189HP and weights 875Kilos which would mean that every 1HP the car has 4.62Kilos.
The F-SAE UNIMET Car has 70HP and weights 300Kilos so every 1HP there are 4.28Kilos.

So probably its 0-60Mph time is less than 5 secs...But might increase with the pilot's weight.

I'm sorry that the pics are so small... I'll try to get some better ones.
Any info on this kind of stuff?

Niko_Fx
05-05-2004, 09:30 AM
Found some info about it :)

What is F-SAE?

The Formula SAE competition is for SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) student members to conceive, design, fabricate and compete with small formula style race cars. The restrictions on the car frame and engine are limited so that the knowledge, creativity and imagination of the students are challenged. The cars are built with a team effort over a period of 10 months and are taken to the annual competition for judging and comparison with other vehicles from universities in Australia and around the world. the end result is a great experience for young engineers in a meaningful engineering project, as well as the opportunity of working in a dedicated team effort.

For the purpose of this competition, the students are to assume that a manufacturing firm has engaged them to produce a prototype car for evaluation as a product item. The intended sales market is the non-professional weekend autocross racer. Therefore, the car must have very high performance in terms of acceleration, braking and handling qualities. The car must be low in cost, easy to maintain and reliable. In addition, the marketability of the car is enhanced by other factors such as aesthetics, comfort and use of common parts. The manufacturing firm is planning to produce four cars per day for a limited production run and the prototype vehicle should actually cost below US$25,000. The challenge to the design team is to design and fabricate a prototype car that best meets these goals and intentions. Each design will be compared and judged with other competing designs to determine the best overall car.

UK CARS
05-05-2004, 09:32 AM
YEAHH!!! mini f1 car....... :D

Niko_Fx
05-15-2004, 09:06 PM
I just found out that there's another Venezuelan university competing. "Universidad Simon Bolivar" which is supposed to be the hardest university academicallywise (It even has arrangements with Stanford to give scholarships to the best students since they're kind of in the same level)

I don't have info regarding the engine and other specs of this one, just some pics.

Niko_Fx
05-16-2004, 09:52 AM

AndyP
09-08-2004, 03:59 AM
Hi, nice car by the way, much better looking than our ugly mutt!!!!! Have you seen some of the top uni`s at the UK and US, they events claim 0-60 in around 3.5 seconds. This sort of performance is acheived using a single cyclinder engine as opposed to the 4 cylinder CBR ...... and of course by removing the restrictor!!!!!! ;)

whiteballz
09-08-2004, 04:07 AM
cool, i think the ANU (australian national uni) has something like that, its bleeding quick, i think i took some photos at the local track day (where they test). i will try find some.

Ferrari Tifosi
09-08-2004, 11:39 AM
My school participates in F-SAE, i'll find some pictures of my schools car and post 'em. Once talked to one of the guys on the team and he said their car went 0-60 in 4.2 seconds....in the wet, because it was raining at the last competition. My school would have placed in the top 10, but on the endurance event they burnt too much fuel, and points we're deducted.

AndyP
09-10-2004, 02:30 PM
The endurance event cost us big time last year, all for the sake of a £70 fuel pump. we used an old second hand one to save money and guess what? ..... it broke. RMIT won the uk one this year with toronto runners up.

Which competition are you`s in .... UK or US????

Andy