PDA

View Full Version : BMW F01 7 series

Kooper
07-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Only two words so far: "oh dear..."

First few pics courtesy of Autoblog.

orne
07-05-2008, 03:58 PM
That double kidney is a bit too, how shall I say, exuberant...

Other than that it's not too bad but this isn't my kind of car anyway. :)

Kooper
07-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Next batch

Kooper
07-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Three more...

LeonOfTheDead
07-05-2008, 04:13 PM
I already studied these pics, and I don't like it. It's simplyugly, banal, and disproportioned in the front, especially because of the air intake in the lower part I guess. probably the fourth pic in post 1 is the only view I can like. but I am disappointed. I used to like the previous model, at least it was original.

Kooper
07-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Some things come to mind:

The rear view reminds me a lot of a Lexus. I know the lights resemble the M1 Hommage's units, but come on!
The side "vents" would've worked if they didn't split it up into two pieces. To make matters worse it doesn't appear to be matching up... And extending it to the door makes it nothing more than a visual afterthought.
The grille could've worked, but then the headlights should've been positioned a bit lower IMO. It just doesn't appear to come together.
On the whole, it actually doesn't look all that different to the outgoing car. Sure, the clamshell boot is gone, but the headlights, window line and bonnet seem to be able to fit on the old car.

I do like the line along the bottom of the sides, but that's pretty much it at this stage.

And does this car look too narrow to anyone else? It probably is a lot wider than it appears, but couldn't they give it something more somewhere along the wheel wells?

Spastik_Roach
07-05-2008, 04:29 PM
God its awful!

Really is...can't BMW just keep things simple and not go overboard anymore?! The front of it makes it look like its going to be a fastback..its really quite odd

Rockefella
07-05-2008, 04:32 PM
I think BMW took the DNA of cars that had successful ideas, like the Lexus rear, Mercedes CL headlights, French? character lines, etc. Problem is that when it was put together it came out kind of shitty.

Zytek_Fan
07-05-2008, 04:56 PM
The front end says Buick.

07-05-2008, 04:59 PM
it's sprouted some hideous nostrils and aweful tail lamps

pimento
07-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Looks like I'm the only one that doesn't think it's all that bad at all then... I think it's kinda handsome, and a definate improvement over the old one.

Roentgen
07-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Clear indications of the CS concept. In fact... it looks exactly the same except for it being slightly taller!

Zytek_Fan
07-05-2008, 08:31 PM
It's not bad really. It doesn't have the ridiculous buldge for the boot lid anymore.
And the 7 series has always been the "executive" car, not a performance, or driver's car. That's where the 3 and 5 series come in.

Smithy
07-05-2008, 11:44 PM
Nothing exciting that's for sure. From the side it just looks like a stretched 3 series.

LeonOfTheDead
07-06-2008, 03:19 AM
It's not bad really. It doesn't have the ridiculous buldge for the boot lid anymore.
And the 7 series has always been the "executive" car, not a performance, or driver's car. That's where the 3 and 5 series come in.

thinking about it's competitors (LS, S class, A8) it isn't the more "executive" though, but the sportier neither, (Quattroporte). the second gen A8 lost its lightweight appearance, the S-Class is fatting continuously especially from and aesthetic point of view (but I think I kinda like it), the LS is reported to be simply banal and a copy-paste work from other cars (but I like this too). the 7 series now it's....could'nt define yet, but it's true, it too much similar to the old one but without the criticized parts which in a way isn't a good thing, now the car lacks of personality...The luxury sedans are in a bad moment imo.
But fortunately, the Quattroporte is here to save us all :D

EDIT: and I can't see all these resemblances to the CS Concept, too bad.

Kitdy
07-06-2008, 03:52 AM
I just realized that BMW has finally gone form model designations in the E's to the F's.

Madness!

Does anyone know why they started with E in the first place?

silverhawk
07-06-2008, 03:57 AM
post 1 pic 3, the nose lookes chopped off. the rear lights are from the Z4

in the first pic it lookes just like the 5 series. I love the interior though.

Spastik_Roach
07-06-2008, 04:21 AM
From some angles its growing on me. I just wish they could've kept the grille in proportion with the rest of the car! Why can't they just let it look normal!

All these big exec cars are getting too fat and full looking too. The original Audi A8 and the mid late 90's 7 Series look much better than anything since in my opinion.

LeonOfTheDead
07-06-2008, 06:53 AM
All these big exec cars are getting too fat and full looking too. The original Audi A8 and the mid late 90's 7 Series look much better than anything since in my opinion.

sadly true:(

Vindesh17
07-06-2008, 09:37 AM
All it needs is a smaller grill and last years tail-lights and it would be perfect IMO.

Ferrer
07-06-2008, 11:09 AM
I, for once, am going to be positive. I prefer this to the previous one.

Does anyone know why they started with E in the first place?
"E" stands for Entwicklung, German for development or evolution.

NicFromLA
07-06-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm not sure about the side vent-thing. I think I need to see it in person before I pass judgement.

Clear indications of the CS concept. In fact... it looks exactly the same except for it being slightly taller!

I disagree, there's a few hints of the CS Concept, but over all it doesn't really look much like the CS Concept. The CS Concept might be the best looking four-door I've ever seen, this I'm still on the fence on.

ruim20
07-07-2008, 07:53 AM
Ugly, to ugly to even be given the aprovall from drawing, it's really ugly, like the old one this POS will never grow on me, i'd take an A8 over this ny time, it's hideous period. i'm amazed that they pay ppl to draw and develop such things.

The front profile is Volvo, the back profile is Lexus, the back is Citroën... really, what's there to like in this? any other of the luxury barges looks better than this. Talk about stiking a bmw badge into a dead cat!

Kitdy
07-07-2008, 08:25 AM
I, for once, am going to be positive. I prefer this to the previous one.

How unusual of you.

"E" stands for Entwicklung, German for development or evolution.

How interesting.