PDA

View Full Version : Top Gear USA?

ferrarifreak013
07-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Does anyone know what channel it will be, on and when it starts, and what time it will be on at? Sorry if this information is somewhere else i searched and couldn't find anything about it...

Alastor
07-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Does anyone know what channel it will be, on and when it starts, and what time it will be on at? Sorry if this information is somewhere else i searched and couldn't find anything about it...

Looks like NBC:

Top Gear (U.S. TV series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_(U.S._TV_series))

And if you have cable you might already get the UK version on BBC America.

scottie300z
07-07-2008, 07:27 PM
I don't think a date has been released yet.

This is all I know:
Adam Carolla - Presenter
Tanner Foust - Presenter
Eric Stromer - Presenter

And that's why I don't have high expectations.

baddabang
07-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Adam Carolla from The Man Show?

scottie300z
07-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Adam Carolla from The Man Show?

The same one. I saw him on test drive, I think it was the G8 episode. I wasn't too impressed w/ him and cars.

Tanner Foust will most likely be used to fling cars sideways more often than Clarkson which is a dramatic visual but I saw part of an episode of Supercars with him and well, I didn't finish the episode.

The other guy I recognize from a home designing commercial. So while I don't really know how he'd be I'm not expecting much.

Rockefella
07-07-2008, 08:01 PM
This show is going to suck so hard. I bet they hardly know cars, apart from the drifter guy, and they won't be critical in reviews.

07-07-2008, 08:05 PM
this will undoubtly fall short of the UK version, wonder if they're going to use the american version of the stig

pimento
07-07-2008, 08:15 PM
For all your Top Gear needs (http://www.finalgear.com/). Keep an eye on the news feed for anything breaking about the colonial Top Gears in development, and.. anything else interesting that pops up there. Dig through the categories on the right to find what you need.

ScionDriver
07-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Wow that doesn't make for a promising start. I guess hardcore TG fans will continue to download them off the internet. The ones they show on BBC America are ridiculous because there are those pesky commercials that just ruin the flow and they put them right in the middle of the films sometimes too. They also cut out the hilarious news a lot.

Viper007
07-07-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm really interested. Heres an article thats a good read if you have 2 minutes.
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/article4187575.ece

Zytek_Fan
07-08-2008, 12:22 PM
I hope this show falls flat on its face.
The only Top Gear should be the current Top Gear.

Jay Leno, who originally turned down offers to host the show, expressed concern over whether or not a show like Top Gear could be successful in America. In a column published by The Sunday Times, Leno expresses concern that an American version could lack the critical reviews the British version is known for. The British show is produced for the BBC with public funds while the American show will air on commercial television. Leno believes that the show may have to worry about offending current and potential sponsors by giving their products poor reviews, leading to a compromise in the journalistic integrity and freedom of the original show.

Jay has it right.

rallyswift75
07-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Since when does Adam Carolla know anything about cars.

Rockefella
07-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Since when does Adam Carolla know anything about cars.

Apparantly he knows a bit about cars, but I fear it's not enough. The pretty boy host probably knows a tad too. If they got someone like Leno, an American touring car driver/open wheel racer, and a random shmuck who knew his stuff and happened to be funny.. this show could be a success. The character line-up they have now isn't very promising.

Viper007
07-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Tanner Foust has had his fair share of experience. He has been a stunt man on a bunch of films and has won the gold medal in x-games rally and a championship on the drift series. Sure its not that prestigious, but it shows he has something to bring to the table.

As for Carolla, I think he should be replaced with Samuel Hubinette. Oh and replace the other guy also with Leno. That would be a show worth watching.

Zytek_Fan
07-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Who will be The Stig? Tony Stewart? Juan Montoya? :p

Of course they will try to appeal to the Average Joe and will test average cars :(

andrewj7
07-09-2008, 12:55 PM
So they have chosen some funny people who think they know about cars. But they're just never going to pull off the same "chucklehead" behavior of Jezzer and friends.

web-> Save Top Gear USA | Save TopGear, the worlds most popular motoring television program from being ruined by NBC trying to change it from the British (http://www.savetopgearusa.com)

Rockefella
07-09-2008, 01:38 PM
So they have chosen some funny people who think they know about cars. But they're just never going to pull off the same "chucklehead" behavior of Jezzer and friends.

web-> Save Top Gear USA | Save TopGear, the worlds most popular motoring television program from being ruined by NBC trying to change it from the British (http://www.savetopgearusa.com)

Oh no.. the website features an 'aftermarket performance product of the week' for every Top Gear episode. On top of that it tells you to tune in for 'tricked out hot rods'.

NSXType-R
07-12-2008, 02:36 PM
I seriously am not looking forward to Top Gear USA.

They will probably show NASCAR news for 55 minutes of the time.

Real motorheads will look at the British one anyway.

Viper007
07-12-2008, 02:41 PM
I like most of you, don't expect a miracle show, but at the same time I don't think it will be pure crap. Carolla was on Leno the other night and was funny. I'll judge it when it comes out.

RacingManiac
07-12-2008, 03:11 PM
I never found Corolla to be much of a comic though, unlike Clarkson(who is a writer first, it has to be said, and he writes well) who is witty kind of funny, who sometimes tries to be an idiot, Corolla's jokes seems to revolve around him being retarded thus looks funny.....

Zytek_Fan
07-13-2008, 12:16 AM
I seriously am not looking forward to Top Gear USA.

They will probably show NASCAR news for 55 minutes of the time.

Real motorheads will look at the British one anyway.

Well said.