PDA

View Full Version : Symmonds Plains rejoins V8 Supercars after 5 year absence

fpv_gtho
05-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Ambrose Delighted At Home State Race

Release Date: 06/05/2004

Defending V8 Supercar Champion Marcos Ambrose is delighted at today’s announcement that the V8 circus will be returning to his home state of Tasmania at the end of this year.

The Pirtek Falcon driver was on hand in Hobart today to help announce that the V8 Supercars will race at Symmons Plains near Launceston from November 12-14 as a replacement for the scheduled China race which has been postponed until June next year.

The deal has been supported by the Tasmanian government to the reported tune of $3 million over the next three years.

Despite growing up in Tasmania and having the nickname of the “Devil Racer”, Ambrose has never raced a car at the Symmons Plains circuit and cannot wait for his Stone Brothers Racing Falcon to be rolled off the truck.

“To race in my home state of Tasmania is going to be a huge thrill,” said Ambrose.

“Tassie is only a small state, but it has some passionate sports fans and motor racing fans in particular. I have no doubt that we will see the biggest crowd ever at Symmons Plains in November.

“The event is also going to come at a vital stage of the season with just one round remaining before the season finale at Eastern Creek. Of course it would be fantastic to win my first ever V8 race in Tasmania, but then again, I would like to win anywhere.”

The only car race Ambrose has contested in Tasmania was at the Baskerville circuit in his father’s Targa road car – this allowed him to gain his National Level license and compete in the Australian Formula Ford Championship.

The only time he has driven on the Symmons Plains circuit was during a test in the Alcorn Racing Commodore in 1997, which was being campaigned in the Australian Touring Car Championship by fellow Tasmanian Greg Crick.

The car was owned by John Alcorn and the test was overseen by engineer Bob Tindle, who passed away at the beginning of this year.

“I guess it is pretty amazing that I have raced on some of the greatest race tracks in the world, but never on the one where I grew up just 20 minutes away,” said Ambrose.

“The test with Alcorn Racing was more of a nice gesture than a full-blown test. I think I only did about half a dozen laps, but it was a great experience.

“I guess that gave me a bit of a taste of V8 Supercars, but then I went off to Europe for a couple of years and when I finally joined the V8 Supercar ranks in 2001 Symmons Plains was off the calendar.”

While he might not have raced there previously, Ambrose has no shortage of memories attending races meetings at Symmons Plains.

“I remember some great races out there in the early 90s when guys like Colin Bond were running their Ford Sierras out there,” said Ambrose.

“I remember chatting to ‘Bondy’ as a kid. Ironically, if I am ever chatting to Bondy now it means I am giving evidence in a stewards hearing because he is the Driving Standards Observer for the series.

“It was also the first place that I met Ross Stone. It is quite amazing that we have since won a championship together and are now heading back to Symmons Plains to contest a V8 Supercar round.”

The next round of the 2004 V8 Supercar Championship Series will be held in Darwin on May 21-23.

fpv_gtho
05-06-2004, 01:08 AM
Tasmanian Deal Takes V8 Supercar Championship Series National Again

Release Date: 06/05/2004

Australia’s premier Motorsport category and third most popular sport is national again following a deal with the Tasmanian Government to race at Symmons Plains for the next five years.

Tasmanian Premier Paul Lennon and Australian Vee Eight Supercar Company (AVESCO) Chairman Tony Cochrane announced the signing of a heads of agreement in Hobart today. AVESCO Events is the official promoter of the event.

“This is a fantastic coup for the state – one I’m sure will be welcomed by Tasmanians who are passionate about their Motorsport,” Mr Lennon said.

“It will also generate unprecendented exposure for Tasmania, given that each event in the series is televised live to 500 million people in 70 countries.

“Tasmania will truly be on show to the world.”

Mr Cochrane said Tasmania’s inclusion in the series was a boon for the sport.

“We know it’s going to be a tremendous weekend of racing as it’s no secret how big the fane base is in this state,” he said.

“We are once again a truly national series that visits every state in Australia. Tasmania has been a lost link since we were last here in 1999 but not any more.”

The Symmons Plains circuit was chosen ahead of Phillip Island as the venue to replace Shanghai as the venue for Round 12 in this year’s championship series. Round 12 of the 2004 series was scheduled for China until delays meant the race had to be postponed until next June.

As it turned out, the rescheduling of Round 12 proved a tremendous boon for the V8 Supercar Championship Series and Tasmania. So good was the proposal from the Tasmanian Government and Tasmanian Events that a deal was reached to return to the venue for five years.

Under the terms of the agreement upwards of $2 million will be spent on upgrading facilities at Symmons Plains. It has been five years since the V8 Supercar Championship has raced at the track.

Current V8 Supercar champion Marcos Ambrose is a born and bred Tasmanian. He was ecstatic about being able to return to his home state and race.

“It’s an absolute dream for me,” Ambrose said.

“To race with the No.1 on the side of my car at my home track is incredible. I’m a very proud Tasmanian and I’m going to enjoy every moment of it.”

Symmons Plains is a 2.4km circuit located 30 minutes to the south of Launceston. It is a 170km trip from Hobart meaning people can travel to and from the capital in a day to take in the race action.

The permanent facility has been a Tasmanian icon for 44 years. It is a fast circuit with a long sweeping back straight where V8 Supercars can be expected to reach speeds of around 300 km/h.

“It’s a circuit that is very conducive to tight racing,” Ambrose said. “It has good straight and good braking corners that makes for a spectacular event.”

The last winner of a V8 Supercar championship round at Symmons Plains was Mark Skaife in 1999.

Names such as Bob Jane, Allan Moffatt, Norm Beechey, Ian Geoghegan, Jim McKeown, John Harvey, Peter Brock, Colin Bond, Allan Grice, Jim Richards, Alan Jones, Larry Perkins, Glenn Seton, John Bowe and Mark Skaife have all raced at Symmons Plains.

Falcon500
05-07-2004, 06:28 AM
Its good tosee the return of simmonds plains it hasbeen a part of australian motorpsort for so long....and is the home state of so many v8 drivers...

fpv_gtho
05-08-2004, 05:31 AM
well i think its safe to say Ambrose wont be holding back for Rnd 12, he's ecstatic at the chance to impress his home crowd. Isnt John Bowe also tasmanian, i thought ive seen it some where he was

Falcon500
05-08-2004, 06:53 AM
John Bowe and Greg Crick also is (although hes no longer in v8s....) there are more but i cant think of them...

fpv_gtho
05-08-2004, 07:00 AM
well considering the speed advancements made in the past 5 years, it will be interesting to see the 36 odd car field go around the 2.4km track. its under half the length of Bathurst, yet the same top speed is possible on both so there may be alot of attention payed to being able to get the power down out of the hairpin through the 3.25 diff and get the lead down the back straight and up to 300km/h. no doubt Lowndes lap record in the HRT VR will be broken