PDA

View Full Version : Just a few cars

charged
08-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Just a few cars... no valiants or corollas though, mustnt be a real car collector:p

Sports Car Market Magazine (http://www.sportscarmarket.com/content/aussiebarnfind)

clutch-monkey
08-02-2008, 07:27 PM
sweet jesus...how much to restore a few :D

Blue Supra
08-02-2008, 10:35 PM
:eek: thats insane.

henk4
08-03-2008, 12:50 AM
a 3200CS and 124 Coupe, an 850 coupe, a 130 coupe...all RHD I suppose:(

nota
08-03-2008, 03:28 AM
a 3200CS and 124 Coupe, an 850 coupe, a 130 coupe...all RHD I suppose:(
Been listed on local ebay three times now - receiving not one single bid

Fiat 850 Sport coupe 1969 - eBay 1940 - 1970, Collector Cars, Cars, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 04-Aug-08 10:40:32 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fiat-850-Sport-coupe-1969_W0QQitemZ300246175656QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10189 5QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Henk (& others) I'm curious how this would compare against approx prices in Europe?

henk4
08-03-2008, 04:04 AM

Fiat 850 Sport coupe 1969 - eBay 1940 - 1970, Collector Cars, Cars, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 04-Aug-08 10:40:32 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fiat-850-Sport-coupe-1969_W0QQitemZ300246175656QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10189 5QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Henk (& others) I'm curious how this would compare against approx prices in Europe?

prices in Europe for goods ones would be between 3-4000 Euros, so this is comparable price.

nota
08-03-2008, 04:52 AM
Thank you Henk :)

SlickHolden
08-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Our old VB might be in there:D.

motorsportnerd
08-04-2008, 09:36 PM

It now has a bid, so someone wants it.

henk4
08-04-2008, 10:41 PM
It now has a bid, so someone wants it.

not a?;)

motorsportnerd
08-05-2008, 02:44 AM
Now sold according to Ebay. Looks like a Fiat enthusiast bought it. Wonder if its someone from this forum?

henk4
08-05-2008, 04:23 AM
Now sold according to Ebay. Looks like a Fiat enthusiast bought it. Wonder if its someone from this forum?

as I said: not a????

clutch-monkey
08-05-2008, 04:49 AM
as I said: not a????

he doesn't need any more cars? :D not that that would stop him..

nota
08-05-2008, 06:14 PM
not a?;)
not me :p

Was sorely tempted by a '73 DS 23 5-speed on ebay being wholesaled last weekend. I've always wanted one .. was proportedly 'not rusty' and in VGC mech via deceased estate (ex mechanical engineer) but tired body/paint .. in retro purple with green interior! I chucked in a few bids and it eventually went for around $2200 - but you'd be mad to buy one of these without personal inspection, and the Snooker was located 1,000 miles north of me :(

There's also a low-km Xantia VSX CT near me .. maybe $4k or so (?) .. but the tales of exploding suspension does cause one to pause

henk4
08-05-2008, 11:20 PM
There's also a low-km Xantia VSX CT near me .. maybe $4k or so (?) .. but the tales of exploding suspension does cause one to pause

I don't know but then probably only in Oz the suspension was fitted with explosives. I have heard many stories, but never this one. And the turbo version should be nice too.

nota
08-06-2008, 02:10 AM
I don't know but then probably only in Oz the suspension was fitted with explosives. I have heard many stories, but never this one. And the turbo version should be nice too.
Yes they are nice and good value too .. but the concept of 'bang for your buck' takes on a whole new dimension :eek:

So I replaced the clutch in the Xantia over the weekend,

Jan was very pleased to have it back & going after weeks of a slipping clutch..........
I set off for town with Jan this morning..........
dropped her off at school, did a few things around town, had a bit of driving around here & there to get a few things.
About 11.00am the mobile rings..... pull over......turn the car off..... answer phone..... its Darryl from Tassie, so we have a chat...... after about 10 minutes of chatting in the stationary car.......

THUD!!!!! and the left side of the bonnet suddenly bulges upward about 6 inches.

I'd heard about this....... but I'd expected it might happen one day while driving over a bumpy track, or tearing around a corner......
But 10 minutes after pulling up from 50km/h on a straight smooth road.

So I got my neighbour to bring my car trailer in......

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow ?
I'll take a couple of pics just to scare all the Xantia owners.

Bob

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z125/nota_photo/1180564255.jpg

Could be worse! Here's a double plugger from the UK :eek::eek:

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z125/nota_photo/Xantia.jpg

just keep an eye on the Fowles auction sites. whenever you see a Xantia looking like this (yes I know it's an XM, it's the only photo I could find in my 30second search). You'll know it's due to strut failure.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z125/nota_photo/MVC-222F.jpg

UGLY isn't it:eek::eek:

Dom, they don't do it at a certain mileage, they just do it when the rubber perishes. So, go out there NOW, and check your car.
The replacement rubbers that citroen now supply have been modified so they won't do this in future, so replace them as a pair.
Just doing one is a FALSE ECONOMY

john s
_______

Hi John,

And yes I agree, do NOT just replace one side, even though they are quite expensive down under I would NOT feel happy driving a car that had just popped one strut top and only had the one replaced - the other one is almost certainly close behind....and the result of it happening when hitting a bump at high speed could be fatal... (I'm surprised people havn't been KILLED by these god awful pieces of design, which surely merited a recall for modified strut tops)

Regards,
Simon
Aussiefrogs info threads

Thud!!!!! (http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48924&highlight=thud)

Do your Xantia struts explode?? (http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49332)

Xantia struts - aussiefrogs (http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13798)

(my mother-in-law drives a smooth green Xantia turbo-diesel .. should I tell her?) :confused:;)

henk4
08-06-2008, 02:16 AM
I have never seen that here, or being mentioned, I am scheduled for a visit to my workshop this afternoon and I'll ask about it. Form what I read it seems to be matter of worn out rubbers and has little to do with the hydropneumatic system as such.

motorsportnerd
08-06-2008, 02:22 AM

So, you weren't the bidder on the Fiat. However, are you still thinking about replacing the S-Class?
Xantia is certainly a rather different car to the S-Class.

nota
08-06-2008, 02:41 AM
So, you weren't the bidder on the Fiat. However, are you still thinking about replacing the S-Class?
Xantia is certainly a rather different car to the S-Class.
Well Mercules has hydropnuematic on the rear so its kinda sort-of only half-different ;)

Mercs have really addicted me to the smooooth ride. V6 Xantia might be nice (reputedly quite punchy) but they were all autos here in Oz and I'm not dumb enough to buy a French automatic (!) so that's what got me thinking about the 'low blow' CT (turbo 4) which also gets you the strengthened manual box

Wonders if its feasible to LPG a CT?

[edit] fuggetit, ad removed for the CT which means I left it too late anyway (seller going OS next week) was a local car with 130,000km

nota
08-06-2008, 03:03 AM
I have never seen that here, or being mentioned, I am scheduled for a visit to my workshop this afternoon and I'll ask about it. Form what I read it seems to be matter of worn out rubbers and has little to do with the hydropneumatic system as such.
Just the strut mount, so yeah hardy anything to do with it!

From a cursory look it appears that the tower mount rusts in high-humidity areas (causing similar issues) while the mount itself is also prone to failure - vehicles include BX, Xantia, XM, and CX?

XM aftermarket repair kit for your interest
Front Strut Kit for Citroen XM (http://w1.431.telia.com/~u43116231/index2.htm)

motorsportnerd
08-06-2008, 03:04 AM
How about a Peugeot 406 V6 or Turbo-diesel instead of the Citroen? Not sure the prices however.
I assume you're willing to forgive the Citroen its FWD layout for the ride qualities it should offer?

nota
08-06-2008, 03:13 AM
re Aussiefrogs post #1

About 11.00am the mobile rings..... pull over......turn the car off..... answer phone..... its Darryl from Tassie, so we have a chat...... after about 10 minutes of chatting in the stationary car.......

THUD!!!!! and the left side of the bonnet suddenly bulges upward about 6 inches.
Only the French could produce a car that self-destructs when parked by the side of the road, and even with the engine switched off! :D

nota
08-06-2008, 03:40 AM
How about a Peugeot 406 V6 or Turbo-diesel instead of the Citroen? Not sure the prices however.
I assume you're willing to forgive the Citroen its FWD layout for the ride qualities it should offer?
Yes and mate I see where you're coming from with the Peugeot .. but they share a Citroen platform and lack the teriffic exploding suspension - and sporting nature - and hold their value much better (too much to tempt me). Auto-only Renault Laguna's 'intelligent' auto gearbox is dumb-as, reputedly a nightmare. Apparently the Citroen suspension cure is somewhere under $1k, and you know how lousy their resale is

I'll probably end up sticking with what I've got, but you know the feeling when 'the itch for change' hits you :)

The little Fiat interested me but verging on too much $$, despite seeming market undervalue of a mini-Ferrari. I was even looking at a Renault 10 for gawd sake! :D

IBrake4Rainbows
08-06-2008, 05:31 AM
I think i might have seen that Xantia you were looking at, nota. It seemed in fairly good nick. For someone who knows what they are doing & is willing to put in the time, by all means it'd be worthwhile. that was a very good condition vehicle considering some of the other ones I've seen of a similar vintage.

EDIT: I've found a C5 V6 on Carpoint.com.au. It's more expensive but similar KM. V6 though :)

charged
08-06-2008, 06:39 AM
I heard the early C5 were a bit of a POS, henk may know more... I had a run in with Pug 406 Coupe owner the other day in the city, he thought he needed 2 1/2 loading zone bays, I pulled up behind him and gave him a beep to move up so I could park in the loading zone... he gets out his car and comes to my window and tells me he wants the 2 1/2 bays because his car is exotic and he wants to make sure no-one parks in front or behind him:mad: I was having a shitty day and told him in fairly colourful terms that his 15 grand Pug actually wasnt that exotic and that the commercial van I was driving was worth twice what his exotic Coupe was. End result was he moved up so I could park, I walked away with a smile and he got back in his car with a slightly dented ego:D

So dont buy a Pug Nota or you may change into a self important euro snob like the above Pug owner:p

I do like the looks of the 406 coupe though, very nicely porportioned vehichle IMHO

nota
08-06-2008, 06:51 AM
I think i might have seen that Xantia you were looking at, nota. It seemed in fairly good nick. For someone who knows what they are doing & is willing to put in the time, by all means it'd be worthwhile. that was a very good condition vehicle considering some of the other ones I've seen of a similar vintage.
It was a red one, maybe located in Garran iirc? Yes it seemed a very good example. Unfortunately I ummed and ahhed too long about it (quick & the dead, as they say) ;)

EDIT: I've found a C5 V6 on Carpoint.com.au. It's more expensive but similar KM. V6 though :)
V6 = auto :(. Will be interesting to see what this one ends up going for...

Citroen C5 V6 Exclusive -2001 Model $1 Start NO RESERVE (eBay item 300247233994 end time Aug-10-08 18:16:43 EST) (http://cars2.ebay.com.au/Citroen-C-V-Exclusive-Model-Start-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ300247233994)

henk4
08-06-2008, 07:05 AM
just came back from my Citroen workshop and the problem of penetrating front suspensions was unknown. ( Both guys I talked to have been working on Citroens for over 40 years). Mayb in OZ the rubbers dry out too easily and are not properly maintained?

I have a secret love affair with the 406 Coupe, but it is too impractical for my needs, although with the 2.2. HDi engine it is a quite attractive proposition.

Early C5s can be pigs, but I have been relatively lucky with mine so far.

nota
08-06-2008, 07:20 AM
I heard the early C5 were a bit of a POS, henk may know more...

C5 has multiplex wiring and heresay says this can be problematic .. headlights randomly switching off on the highway etc :eek:

I had a run in with Pug 406 Coupe owner the other day in the city, he thought he needed 2 1/2 loading zone bays, I pulled up behind him and gave him a beep to move up so I could park in the loading zone... he gets out his car and comes to my window and tells me he wants the 2 1/2 bays because his car is exotic and he wants to make sure no-one parks in front or behind him:mad: I was having a shitty day and told him in fairly colourful terms that his 15 grand Pug actually wasnt that exotic and that the commercial van I was driving was worth twice what his exotic Coupe was. End result was he moved up so I could park, I walked away with a smile and he got back in his car with a slightly dented ego:D

If I could relate a quick anecdote to a fellow Val fan ..

Returned to my somewhat 'roughish' CL wagon (great cheapie, 245 3-sp!) to find some Urban 4x4 idiot had positioned his brand new fully-decked-out Patrol virtually against my rear bumper, intruding muchly into my allotted space despite him having heaps of room astern, and making egress for me more difficult than it might otherwise have been. Well bugger that, two can play that game and I couldn't be stuffed craning my neck, so lets do a gentle 'touch park' reverse into his shiny & expensive high-polish alloy 'bullbar' with the soft crinkle sounds coming from my pre-dented tailgate. All of a sudden this be-suited public servant comes sprinting from over the road, yelling in obvious pain & anguish that I might possibly have scratched his pristine 4WD fashion accessory LOL! :rolleyes: :D

Sometimes its great to own a 'dont give a shit' car

So dont buy a Pug Nota or you may change into a self important euro snob like the above Pug owner:p

I do like the looks of the 406 coupe though, very nicely porportioned vehichle IMHO
I like 205 but the newer or bigger Pugs dont really do it for me. However that model does look the goods alright. Mrs nota has driven one in euroland at 200 km/h

henk4
08-06-2008, 07:24 AM
All of a sudden this be-suited public servant comes sprinting from over the road, yelling in obvious pain & anguish that I might possibly have scratched his pristine 4WD fashion accessory LOL! :rolleyes: :D

Paris would be a permanent nightmare for him...

nota
08-06-2008, 07:26 AM
just came back from my Citroen workshop and the problem of penetrating front suspensions was unknown. ( Both guys I talked to have been working on Citroens for over 40 years).
Probable explanations are canvassed within those threads I listed, maybe worth a closer gander? :) It does seem a known problem in the UK, and there's even a Govt inspection-directive in New Zealand

Mayb in OZ the rubbers dry out too easily and are not properly maintained?

Tell me please, I'd love to know .. how do you maintain a strut-mount rubber? :confused:

henk4
08-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Probable explanations are canvassed within those threads I listed, maybe worth a closer gander? :) It does seem a known problem in the UK

Tell me please, I'd love to know .. how do you maintain a strut-mount rubber? :confused:

no idea, do I have to ask the workshop again?

Edit: Maybe it is a problem for RHD cars????

IBrake4Rainbows
08-06-2008, 07:28 AM
The 406 Coupe is one of the most pleasureable vehicles to look at of the modern era. one of my school friends families used to own a moon silver example. Delicious.

However i think people do get a little too protective over there new & shiny vehicles, then drive like absolute retards so as not to have people crash into their beloved "Baby". I remember when I used to drive Claudia I wasn't fussed about where I parked - just so long as it was in the lines. that car suffered at the hands of an 8 year old with a run away trolley & I just sort of shrugged it off.

Then, when I get Ingrid & some one tries to kick in her door, I go mental.

They are only cars after all :p

Public servants are the best to watch but worst to deal with in a car park - when I have to pick my Parents up from their office block the jostling & driving is beyond belief. And you've never seen so Many Subaru Liberty's in your life!

nota
08-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Paris would be a permanent nightmare for him...
I will never forget seeing those parked Parisian vans (and even cars!) with the full-length aftermarket wooden-plank armour bolted down the sides as skid plates!

nota
08-06-2008, 07:43 AM
no idea, do I have to ask the workshop again?

Edit: Maybe it is a problem for RHD cars????
You sure its not a cultural or language problem? :D

Thing is, that unless you have fitted the 2nd of the two redesigned strut-mount updates, there's always the genuine risk of the mount randomly failing, possibly leading to a BIG CRASH. Obviously getting them inspected at every six-monthly service interval is not neccasarily going to catch the problem. Some prudent Citroen enthusiasts are talking about regular owner-inspections every 1000 miles

henk4
08-06-2008, 08:14 AM
You sure its not a cultural or language problem? :D

Thing is, that unless you have fitted the 2nd of the two redesigned strut-mount updates, there's always the genuine risk of the mount randomly failing, possibly leading to a BIG CRASH. Obviously getting them inspected at every six-monthly service interval is not neccasarily going to catch the problem. Some prudent Citroen enthusiasts are talking about regular owner-inspections every 1000 miles

I see your point but I am puzzled that two very experienced Citroen mechanics in Holland never came across the problem and quite a few Xantias were sold here. (I regret I cannot blame the US for this:D)

nota
08-06-2008, 09:37 AM
I see your point but I am puzzled that two very experienced Citroen mechanics in Holland never came across the problem and quite a few Xantias were sold here. (I regret I cannot blame the US for this:D)
Perhaps its due to those very experienced Citroen mechanics being in Holland, and their experience being in Holland conditions with those beautifully maintained ultra-smooth roads? :confused:

Anyway it appears obvious that there's clearly a problem, and one that has been encountered (and recognised) for some years now in countries ranging from the UK a mere 20 miles distant from the Netherlands, to the far away wilds of Nuw Zulland

On a wider overview you might also say that this problem (and low sales) is symptomatic of a good deal of other 'problems' which have and still are being encountered in markets where ostensibly 'tested & proven' european marques have escaped their soft Continental environs for an altogether harsher habitat abroad

henk4
08-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Perhaps its due to those very experienced Citroen mechanics being in Holland, and their experience being in Holland conditions with those beautifully maintained ultra-smooth roads? :confused:

Anyway it appears obvious that there's clearly a problem, and one that has been encountered (and recognised) for some years now in countries ranging from the UK a mere 20 miles distant from the Netherlands, to the far away wilds of Nuw Zulland

On a wider overview you might also say that this problem (and low sales) is symptomatic of a good deal of other 'problems' which have and still are being encountered in markets where ostensibly 'tested & proven' european marques have escaped their soft Continental environs for an altogether harsher habitat abroad

fortunately the UK is a little bit further away:D
but yrs, our roads are good, but I assume that if such things would have happened in France or Germany, Citroen Holland would know about it...I checked the website of the Dutch Xantia club and all sorts of problems with the front struts were mentioned, but there was one interesting remark. Apparently during the annual MoT one driver was advised to replace the rubbers of the front carrying arm....as they looked worn out.

nota
08-06-2008, 10:58 AM
fortunately the UK is a little bit further away:D
but yrs, our roads are good, but I assume that if such things would have happened in France or Germany, Citroen Holland would know about it...I checked the website of the Dutch Xantia club and all sorts of problems with the front struts were mentioned, but there was one interesting remark. Apparently during the annual MoT one driver was advised to replace the rubbers of the front carrying arm....as they looked worn out.
To replace those bushes on early Xantias it seems you have to replace the whole arm $$

Anyway I've waded in and found this for you (with apologies to charged for comprehensively jacking his thread)

Hi all
I could write the book on this [Xantia] topic.So here goes with concise version

1 Can buy mount separate (its called the 'sphere bracket') The strut is a separate part.

2 keeping spheres well gassed goes along way towards preventing problem

3.Inspect sphere bkt rubber from underneath every service- pull gaiter off. What a pain! And they can have very tiny edge cracks and crease lines which are probably OK. What the devil the dividing line is between OK and about to die beats me.

4. Early Aust owner manual supplement didn't mention sphere gas or sphere bkts as service items! If mine died due to ignorance, I would ask Citroen Aust for help- and experiment with a small claims court claim if the reply was no.
I think 'merchantable quality' and 'fit for purpose' Trade Practices Act provisions come into play here. We have a long long tradition in Australia that suspension stays in the car for the life of the car, and does not elect to leave its post without notice. Would most magistrates agree? Maybe.
And lets be clear about this- there is no sub text here- a magistrate is simply a formal arbitrator.This is a serious issue, and a formal airing of pros and cons re responsibility would be interesting.

5. Later owner manual supplements did mention the service issues- pretty fine print though!

6. Ive taken matter up with Aust Transport Safety bureau- no luck

7.What happens if one of these dies when cornering hard at speed on a good sealed road in the mountains? Extra down load on the corner of the car could be more than the bonnet hinge and adjacent sheet metal can take.

8. I think Citroen should make avilable at nominal charge some high tensile straps of some kind to go between the 4 bolts, over the sphere bkts.

9. Series 2 cars have larger flange on metal inner (I've compared them- this is certainly the case) to try and stop strut exiting if rubber fails. Should allowinspection to pick up failure before bonnet is lost. I wonder though, if nothing is done, whether over time the strut can still punch its way through?

Cheers
Martin.

And this

aussiefrogs - View Single Post - Thud !!!! (http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showpost.php?p=482911&postcount=36)

Some Citroenists from overseas, who are not using the internet as much as the Australian Citroën fraternity, are denying that this strut mount problem ever happens. Well, the proof is in the strut mount guys.
which includes this

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/publications/infosheets/infosheet-2-07-200310.pdf

henk4
08-06-2008, 11:08 AM
I believe what you are saying. However I think "we" (overseas Citroenists) are not denying the problem. To assume that "we" do not use the internet so much is a bit crass. Obviously it has not occurred. Is it known in which factory the Aussie Xantias are made?

nota
08-06-2008, 11:38 AM
I believe what you are saying. However I think "we" (overseas Citroenists) are not denying the problem.

I don't know but then probably only in Oz the suspension was fitted with explosives.

To assume that "we" do not use the internet so much is a bit crass.

Not my words but hey, here's me informing a 25-year Citroen enthusiast and internet veteran about the reality of exploding Citroen suspensions

Obviously it has not occurred. Is it known in which factory the Aussie Xantias are made?
Yeah the crap factory :D

Boiled down it seems - at least from what I interpret - to be as much an initial design & engineering problem, as for any strut rubber 'maintainance' issues .. if the strut rubber was not, by design, imposed with such distortion from high loadings in the first place, then it would be far less prone to wear & fail, even forgetting its 'not designed to be failsafe' shortcomings

charged
08-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Most strut towers have a steel insert in them for strength , the forces on the top of a strut tower in incredibly high, it would be scary seeing one fly through the bonnet.

IB4R, the 406 is one of the nicest looking coupes, there bloody cheap to buy s/h also. The brother and nephew get a few in the workshop though with electrical issues at about 100,000 kays and the fixs on the electrical side are far from cheap:eek:.

Used PEUGEOT 406 D9 1999 - New South Wales - CarPoint Australia (http://carpoint.com.au/used-car/PEUGEOT/406/New%20South%20Wales/csn6036929.aspx)

Used PEUGEOT 406 D8 1999 - Victoria - CarPoint Australia (http://carpoint.com.au/used-car/PEUGEOT/406/Victoria/csn5940980.aspx)