PDA

View Full Version : Knockhill Motorfair - GT40 kit

Matra et Alpine
05-06-2004, 06:46 PM
an awesome kit.
Visually identical to the original Mk1 and a BIG Ford V8 :)
Nice sound, but was skittish on those BIG rubber rears in the wet !!
This kit is 1-1/2 inch higher than the real car so at least you can fit in it :)

Matra et Alpine
05-06-2004, 06:49 PM
more to enjoy

Matra et Alpine
05-06-2004, 06:51 PM
more of this beautiful kit

Matra et Alpine
05-06-2004, 06:52 PM
last of this one

eyebrows
05-06-2004, 08:55 PM
thats a nice kit, how much does it cost?

Matra et Alpine
05-07-2004, 02:14 AM
thats a nice kit, how much does it cost?
It's an old kit, not sure if it's still made, but I'll find out at next kit car meeting.
There are still a few kit makers around offering GT40s, but they all follow the philosphy of tryin got be true to the origina; so none of them are cheap.
In case you don't know there are Ferrari 'kis' out thre that are plastic panels to bolt on tope of Fieros or MR2s.
They look nice, but don't reflect the quality, performance or handling :)

ERA in the US does one for $55K http://www.erareplicas.com/gt/gt.htm
But you still have to source discs/brakes and engine/gearbox.

Spastik_Roach
05-07-2004, 02:15 AM
Slightly Off Topic Question: Whati s the best car you have ever driven/seen at a track day?

fordfan2
05-07-2004, 03:32 AM
Beautiful just beautiful(incase you cant tell i love the GT40)

Matra et Alpine
05-07-2004, 03:57 AM
Slightly Off Topic Question: Whati s the best car you have ever driven/seen at a track day?
After my own A610 of course :)

So many.
All different, nice for different reasons.

Radical SR-3 - outright performance and handling. Did within 5 seconds of LAP RECORD with me in the passenger seat :)
Lamborghini Diablo - best going on at corners movement :) Sounded GREAT in the pits !!
Ferrari F40 - Terrible bodywork, quality and fit but ohhh what an engine :)
Caterham Superlights - a swarm of them actually. Factory were at Brands doing testing - never looked in my mirros so much as I came to brake !
Alfa Zagato SZ. Just awesomely aggresive looks and great Alfa sound. Bit heavy though :(
TVR Cerbera - the first one at Brands. It just swept along :)
Sylva Fury with Blackbird engine. Loevly sweeping lines with a hint of Jaguar, no weight and a bike eninge with 6-speed sequential. I was embarrased at the speed and handling !!
Lotus, Porsche and Ferrari don't manage to make the best list because they are so common. Crazy, huh !!!!
then the race cars which come for the setup and 'cheap practise'...

and finally the cars that surprise because they look standard and slow and then shock you :)
Honda Civic Type-R near standard, great performance out the box.
Award goes to a local who fitted a Cavalier SRi engine to a Nova, then boosted it, then replaced most of the suspension with race components and custom designed rear. From the outside it looked like his mom's car. Sooooo fast on track. I fancied it just for the fun of annoying kiddies who scorn the shape :)
Spoiled for choice.
Sorry if that sounds complacent, I DO appreciate how lucky I have been and hopefully continue once I get the engine back together :(

Matra et Alpine
05-07-2004, 04:02 AM
then there are the ones I missed....
this 'envy' usually lasts for a few weeks after an event.

From Knockhill ...
Didn't get out with the guy's Noble
MG Power SV but couldn't convince them to :(
That GT40 - he had a whole host of friends he was taking and we couldn't meet up for a quickie. He wasn't happy with the engine running so maybe it avoided a disappointment (NOT!)
GT3 RS
about 10 years back, BMW M5 with full performance upgrades and first sequential box. Got 3 laps with BTCC driver but didn't get to drive as it was the only one in the country and they wren't letting anyone in. ( Bit like the MOnar and the SV :) )

Suka
05-07-2004, 08:36 AM
Radical SR-3 - outright performance and handling. Did within 5 seconds of LAP RECORD with me in the passenger seat.
Caterham Superlights - a swarm of them actually. Factory were at Brands doing testing - never looked in my mirros so much as I came to brake !
Sylva Fury with Blackbird engine. Loevly sweeping lines with a hint of Jaguar, no weight and a bike eninge with 6-speed sequential. I was embarrased at the speed and handling !!
Lovely cars!