PDA

View Full Version : Vauxhall SS Coupe

willysjeep
08-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Anyone got pix/ specs on this car. Also the South African made Ranger SS. It was equipped with a 2,5 litre Chevy engine. Someone on another forum is looking for detail. Please help

digitalcraft
08-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Do you mean the Vauxhall Monaro VXR or the Holden Monaro SS?

basically the same thing, little differences. I don't know much about this car, I've never been a big fan of GM save the corvette. I guess it's the Pontiac GTO too.

Daz27
08-14-2008, 11:11 PM
with a 2.5 litre chevy motor??? Me thinks not.

willysjeep
08-15-2008, 12:36 AM
The car in question looks like this. Pity its the only pix i can find.

sproggly
08-15-2008, 02:09 AM
maybe like this one?

opel SS Fiera 1970 (http://www.evisos.com.mx/autos-motos-usados/autos-antiguos/opel-ss-fiera-1970)

go.pawel
08-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Looks like it was a badge-engineered Opel Commodore A Coupe. The original German car was equipped with 2.2, 2.5 and 2.8 six-cyl. engines. The 2.5 was equipped with single carb. in the basic version, double carb. in GS trim and Bosch D-jetronic fuel injection in the top-of-the-range GS/E model. I have never heard of them being badged as Vauxhalls, but it's quite possible considering the extent of badge engineering between various GM makes. I don't know if it was a Chevy engine though. I don't think GM used the same engines in European and American cars.

As for the Ranger, that was a name used for Rekord/Commodore B cars, assembled from CKD kits and sold in various countries outside Europe with a different front treatment and trim.

AERO_HDT
08-15-2008, 03:42 AM
No such thing as a Monaro SS.

What I am thinking that he is perhaps referring to something similar to the Holden Torana SS, or perhaps the Opel Monza? Was there ever a Vauxhall Monza SS?

go.pawel
08-15-2008, 05:21 AM
What I am thinking that he is perhaps referring to something similar to the Holden Torana SS, or perhaps the Opel Monza? Was there ever a Vauxhall Monza SS?

Nope, at least not in the UK. The Opel Monza was produced in UK as a Vauxhall Royale Coupe.

nota
08-15-2008, 06:13 AM
willysjeep,

Could be worth a look through this SA site? There are some SA car brochures in it as well. A brief squiz found minor details on Ranger SS and 1970-71 Opel Reckord Sprint 2.5...

General Motors in South Africa 1965 - 1979 Timeline (http://www.moby302.co.za/general_motors/gmsa.html)

No such thing as a Monaro SS.

Close enuff :D

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachments/classic-cars/261080d1197491926-classic-australian-muscle-cars-specs-pics-chevrolet_ss.jpg

Daz27
08-15-2008, 10:08 PM
I am certain there was such a thing as the ss monaro, back in the 70's, it was a hx or something. As for the pic, that looks like a hk monaro with the south african spec front end. Holden and Ford Australia sent cars over there in the 60's and 70's. I recall there being something in Australian Muscle Car magazine about them.

nota
08-16-2008, 03:55 AM
I am certain there was such a thing as the ss monaro, back in the 70's, it was a hx or something.
Daz you'd be thinking of the HQ SS sedan, a budget-spec competitor to Valiant Pacer and precursor to Monaro GTS/4 (sedan). They were all 253-4speed and based off the stripper model Belmont (no armrests!). The SS name did not reappear on full-size Holdens until 1st-gen Commodore, the VH series iirc

willysjeep
08-16-2008, 09:44 AM
In South Africa we had the Holden Monaro GTS, with the Chevvy 308 motor and the Chev SS with the Chevvy 350 motor. Basicly it was the same car, just engine diffs

willysjeep
08-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Daz you'd be thinking of the HQ SS sedan, a budget-spec competitor to Valiant Pacer and precursor to Monaro GTS/4 (sedan). They were all 253-4speed and based off the stripper model Belmont (no armrests!). The SS name did not reappear on full-size Holdens until 1st-gen Commodore, the VH series iirc
This car was called the Chev Kommando in South Africa. It came in a 4,1 six and 308 V8 engines

nota
08-16-2008, 02:32 PM
This car was called the Chev Kommando in South Africa. It came in a 4,1 six and 308 V8 engines
Yes and you guys in SA certainly got some (for us) unusual-spec Holdens. For example your 1967 Holdens with the big Chev 4.1 inline six, and resultant recessed firewall - while Oz versions maxxed with a comparatively puny 3.1 (186cid) Holden six. We feel robbed!

In South Africa we had the Holden Monaro GTS, with the Chevvy 308 motor and the Chev SS with the Chevvy 350 motor.
A few Holden models were equipped with 307, 327 and 350 Chev V8s. But the 1969-debut 308 V8 was a Holden designed/built engine and Oz also got a related 253 V8 intended to bridge the gap to our small Holden six, which never grew beyond 3.3 litres or 202cid

Sorry to highjack your South African SS coupe thread and hope you find what you're looking for :)

willysjeep
08-17-2008, 01:23 PM
No need for sorries, this keep the topic alive. There was a vast difference between the SA cars and the Ozzie one's. We also had a compact Chev/ Holden equipped with a 3,8 and a 4,1 engine. The latter bring the luxury version.....great cars

nota
08-17-2008, 01:37 PM
I forgot about the 3.8, that must have been the engine in the '67 Holden I mentioned

In my city there's a lime green '73 Constantia 350 (our HQ Statesman DeVille) its probably an ex-Embassy car

I was amazed to learn that SA actually manufactured the 383 Chrysler engine! :eek:

willysjeep
08-18-2008, 01:35 PM
I was amazed to learn that SA actually manufactured the 383 Chrysler engine! :eek:Nope, never heard of that.......but i will find out soon, i'l keep you posted. We had the luxurios Chev De Ville in SA also. Chev 350 engine

Ranger ss
12-29-2008, 03:40 AM
Hi willysjeep

I just read about the thread you had going aboit 2 years ago, keep your eye on the next few issues of TopCcar in S.A. and look at what they are featuring, among them my broher's Ranger SS.

willysjeep
12-29-2008, 10:36 AM
Please post some pix of your boet's Ranger here. These cars are very hard to find. Most of the forum members here cannot access these magazines. :D:cool::D

Ranger ss
12-30-2008, 03:01 AM
Hi There I will as soon I get them downloaded at this point I have a few on my phone, and then my boet has the rest with him in Durb's, but I'll get them posted A.S.A.P.

God bless

willysjeep
12-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi There I will as soon I get them downloaded at this point I have a few on my phone, and then my boet has the rest with him in Durb's, but I'll get them posted A.S.A.P.

God bless
Thanks mate :D:D

Ranger ss
12-31-2008, 03:11 AM
Hi willysjeewp

As promised her are a few photos, but the nice ones are still with my boet, enjoy. I've uploaded them, although I'm not sure where they are.

I'm going on leave for 3 weeks.

God bless to all, and may you all be truly Blessed by His Grace.

Ranger ss
12-31-2008, 04:57 AM
Hey willysjeep

I've also got a manual on the car, care to have it coppied?

God bless

willysjeep
01-01-2009, 06:39 AM
FORGET about the Ranger.............whats in the background. That Gunston Capri, is that the ex Koos Swanepoel car or is it a copy????

Where is this picture taken??? I see the company name is in Afrikaans.

Have you got some history on the other cars in the background. I see a yellow Capri as well. Is it also a Perana???

The area looks like Bloemfontein??

That Ranger is looking good. Nice car... remember to post the detailed pix

Ranger ss
01-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Hi wylisjeep Sorry for spelling working off my cellphone. The Gunston Capri is a replica, and the other is a Genuine Perana. They belong to father and son Andre and Tienie Venter. You are right again about the location, it was taken infront of a spares shop that I tried. There is another pic of a Chev SS, belonging to Gert van der Merwe.

willysjeep
01-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Have you got other pix on these cars as well?? :confused:

Ranger ss
01-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Hi Wiliysjeep. I'll see what I can dig up, maybe Andre'll have a fex pics on the build, and his dad's Perana as well. God Bless.

willysjeep
01-08-2009, 10:42 PM
We're waiting!!!!

Patrick.morton
09-02-2009, 03:36 PM
See the following for pics of the Monaro SS and Ranger SS
Cars in South Africa - Classic, Antique & Vintage Cars (ultimatecarpage.com)
Cheers
PS My favourite was the Little Chevvy, a Vauxhall Firenza with a small bolck Chevy V8...was called the Chev Can-Am - 300 built for homolgation purposes.

Edmund
12-05-2009, 05:38 AM
;)
Anyone got pix/ specs on this car. Also the South African made Ranger SS. It was equipped with a 2,5 litre Chevy engine. Someone on another forum is looking for detail. Please help

I got a couple of pics.got the car to,but i need a front windscreen if anyone could help.:)

AERO_HDT
12-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Interesting to note that the car looks a lot like an Aussie Monaro, but it clearly is a lot different. It appears that the roof is longer and the front windscreen is set at a lower angle than the Australian car. The front seems to have a heavier inward rake and there is no W-styling at all - much more reminiscent of a US Chev (Malibu SS?) front end.

I'm fascinated with the picture, it is a gorgeous looking car (those wheels have to go though) and makes the HK look rather frumpy by comparison.

Anyone got any more pics?

willysjeep
01-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Here is some more pix of some cars been advertised here in South Africa

willysjeep
01-06-2010, 03:05 PM
OOPs sorry for the double post on some pictures..........

Commodore GS/E
04-17-2010, 03:07 PM
I didn't know that GM sold a rebadged version of the Commodore Coupe in South Africa (since Opel models were sold there, too). Could anyone post some links to site where i could get further information?