PDA

View Full Version : Chevron/Texaco pulling out of NASCAR.

Dino Scuderia
08-22-2008, 10:58 AM
When the deep-pockets start leaving a series it can't be good news.

"Chevron announced today that we will discontinue our NASCAR sponsorship, effective at the end of the 2008 season.

This move opens up opportunity to more effectively support the Texaco and Havoline brands with localized programs using more direct channels. Global Marketing and Global Lubricants remain committed to investing in our Texaco and Havoline brands. We are currently analyzing marketing programs that will maintain the positioning and competitive differentiation of our brands in the marketplace. More details about the program plans for 2009 will become available later this year.

We have enjoyed a long-standing history of more than 20 years with NASCAR and it has served our Texaco and Havoline brands well across the region. We appreciate the support our loyal NASCAR fans have provided over the years. Lastly, we wish Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates and their team all the best in their pursuit of the Cup."

f6fhellcat13
08-22-2008, 11:07 AM
IIRC Nascar uses leaded fuel. Could they be getting bad press because of it, so they're gonna pull out?

RacingManiac
08-22-2008, 11:27 AM
but they don't supply fuel, Sunoco does....and I believe they just switched to unleaded either this or last season....

f6fhellcat13
08-22-2008, 11:39 AM
but they don't supply fuel, Sunoco does....and I believe they just switched to unleaded either this or last season....

Oh, sorry. :)

blackcat77
08-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Montoya isn't doing very well. I'm sure that M&Ms and Lowe's has no problem at all with their sponsorships because their cars are on camera all the time. That's probably a bigger factor than anything else.

togos452
08-23-2008, 10:08 PM
This after Dario's ride was pulled?

Where is the automotive relevancy in NASCAR?

Chevron to end sponsorship of NASCAR racing (http://www.financialpost.com/related/links/story.html?id=735127)