PDA

View Full Version : Alfa Romeo MiTo at the dealer

M_M
09-10-2008, 05:00 AM
Hi everybody... I thought it would have been nice to post these pictures I took when i went to an AR dealer in July. Yeah, I know, I'm a bit lazy... and I almost forgot I had these pics stored in the HD -.-
So here they are... (I had to resize them)

MiTo #1

EDIT: ok, I've got some problems with the upload... sorry, this might be my first thread with pics

M_M
09-10-2008, 05:06 AM
MiTo #1

M_M
09-10-2008, 05:17 AM
MiTo #2

M_M
09-10-2008, 05:22 AM
MiTo #3

M_M
09-10-2008, 05:27 AM
MiTo #4

LeonOfTheDead
09-10-2008, 05:29 AM
hey, thanks for the images.
which is this dealer?

M_M
09-10-2008, 05:33 AM
MiTo #5

M_M
09-10-2008, 05:39 AM
MiTo #6

M_M
09-10-2008, 05:45 AM
MiTo #7

And that's all! I didn't choose what pics to uploade, I simply uploaded the whole set (apart from the pics I deleted back at the dealer...).
To be honest, you can tell there's a certain difference between official pictures from Alfa Romeo and mine/real life. The car looks a bit too... bubbly/bulbous, especially from behind. But what really annoys me is that the rims (215/45 17") look enormous in the official pics! Almost like 20" rims! But, as you can see, they look ridicolous when fitted inside those wheel arches.
Luckily, when I got out of the dealer there was a couple of Brera which cheered me up!:D

M_M
09-10-2008, 05:48 AM
hey, thanks for the images.
which is this dealer?

You're welcome :)
The dealer is located in Pordenone, next to a Fiat dealer. Back to July when I took the pics (I think it was Saturday 5th) already 6-7 people had ordered a MiTo - that's what the dealer said to us.
I remember the date quite well because the day before I took my new car home.
A thread is coming...

LeonOfTheDead
09-10-2008, 05:49 AM
MiTo #7

And that's all! I didn't choose what pics to uploade, I simply uploaded the whole set (apart from the pics I deleted back at the dealer...).
To be honest, you can tell there's a certain difference between official pictures from Alfa Romeo and mine/real life. The car looks a bit too... bubbly/bulbous, especially from behind. But what really annoys me is that the rims (215/45 17") look enormous in the official pics! Almost like 20" rims! But, as you can see, they look ridicolous when fitted inside those wheel arches.
Luckily, when I got out of the dealer there was a couple of Brera which cheered me up!:D

it's quite a common problem these days. Even the rims of the two Brera (like the white one) seem under-dimensioned looking at the whole car, but they still are 17" and 18". even speaking about other cars, rims always seem too little, even in supercars like the 599 Fiorano, the 20" rims weren't impressing me as the 17" of the F40 parked aside.

do you know if the Brera are the '08 my or the old one?

M_M
09-10-2008, 05:54 AM
I remember the date quite well

... I forgot that I can tell it was the 5th of July also because all I need is to right-click a pic and then "Properties"...

it's quite a common problem these days. Even the rims of the two Brera (like the white one) seem under-dimensioned looking at the whole car, but they still are 17" and 18". even speaking about other cars, rims always seem too little, even in supercars like the 599 Fiorano, the 20" rims weren't impressing me as the 17" of the F40 parked aside.

Funny, when I quote your message your last sentence "You missed..." is not quoted... but a new sentence appears, the one referring to the Brera's MY
Anyway, I answered to your question, just look above :D

LeonOfTheDead
09-10-2008, 05:56 AM
... I forgot that I can tell it was the 5th of July also because all I need is to right-click a pic and then "Properties"...

Funny, when I quote your message your last sentence "You missed..." is not quoted... but a new sentence appears, the one referring to the Brera's MY
Anyway, I answered to your question, just look above :D

EDIT button ftw ;)

M_M
09-10-2008, 05:58 AM
Ok, maybe you edited your message while I was quoting it...

Unfortunately you're right...

I really can't tell you, I didn't lift the cars so I could not tell about the 45 kilos less :D

LeonOfTheDead
09-10-2008, 06:06 AM
I really can't tell you, I didn't lift the cars so I could not tell about the 45 kilos less :D

well, according to the plate of the black one, that is from 2007, while the white one is unknown, but I doubt it's the new one.

so far, probably the first and only "only Italians UCP's thread" :D

I hope too see the MiTo in the wild very soon, I need to figure out if it resembles the Fiat Punto or not.

M_M
09-10-2008, 06:16 AM
well, according to the plate of the black one, that is from 2007, while the white one is unknown, but I doubt it's the new one.

so far, probably the first and only "only Italians UCP's thread" :D

I hope too see the MiTo in the wild very soon, I need to figure out if it resembles the Fiat Punto or not.

You're right :) so, we can talk in Italian, nobody will care :D
Don't hurry, you will probably regret your curiosity :D as far as I can remember, the frontend looked higher than the one of the Punto. But maybe that was because the car wasn't on a road... or maybe because I tend to compare the MiTo with the 8C -drools-

teatako
09-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Alfaīs official pics feature a car with 18" rims. I think so anyway.

M_M
09-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Alfaīs official pics feature a car with 18" rims. I think so anyway.

The fact is... the only 5 holes rims are the one I photographed, only available as 17"...

cmcpokey
09-10-2008, 08:30 AM
so what did you think of it... was the interior good? plastics feel nice? were the seats good?

what were your overall impressions?

teatako
09-10-2008, 08:37 AM
The fact is... the only 5 holes rims are the one I photographed, only available as 17"...

you make it sound like itīs uncommon. I just pointed out THAT was the reason they looked tiny. maybe theyīre saving them 18"s for the GTA version.

LeonOfTheDead
09-10-2008, 09:08 AM
you make it sound like itīs uncommon. I just pointed out THAT was the reason they looked tiny. maybe theyīre saving them 18"s for the GTA version.

the 18" rims are already available with the "Distinctive" version, but are completely different from these

the rims of the pics are available only in 17" size, on all Alfa's models, apart from the 8C of course, which we could say it's something quite different from the rest of Alfa's cars...

M_M
09-10-2008, 09:30 AM

No, you got me wrong - I think... What I meant is that in the official pics the rims (the 5 holes which comes only as 17") look HUGE but in real life... you understand there's something wrong... also, the car in AR official pics is lowered...

M_M
09-10-2008, 09:38 AM
so what did you think of it... was the interior good? plastics feel nice? were the seats good?

what were your overall impressions?

Well... sincerely... I don't remember quite well... :rolleyes: maybe because it wasn't that impressive :D
I think the interior was... average... the plastic seemed to be taken straight from a Bravo (more or less) but the upper part of the dashboard seemed well-made. The radio was made by Blaupunkt, seats were sort of bucket-style, and seemed to be "appropriate". Anyway, this week-end the MiTo will be officially shown in every dealer, so I think I might go and make a much more detailed analysis...

Street_Dreamer
09-10-2008, 12:13 PM
The press pictures show that the car is on 17" wheels. If you zoom in fully, you can see.
I believe they have lowered the car for the press pictures or maybe even put spacers on the make it look less bulbuous and large.

Either way, it looks really good in person imo and i like the 18" wheels. Interior was also nicer than the Mini i think, which has a horrid interior.

M_M
09-10-2008, 12:23 PM
The press pictures show that the car is on 17" wheels. If you zoom in fully, you can see.
I believe they have lowered the car for the press pictures or maybe even put spacers on the make it look less bulbuous and large.

That's for sure...

Either way, it looks really good in person imo and i like the 18" wheels. Interior was also nicer than the Mini i think, which has a horrid interior.

Yeah, I think 18" rims looks quite good - especially because usually 3 spokes rims are rivolting... (ok, MiTo's 18 are not "truly" 3 spokes rims...)
About the interior, are you talking about quality or design? The Mini is really well-built, but, as I said, I don't remember the MiTo's interior quite well. If you're talking about interior, well, that's a personal opinion: Mini's interior is a bit too special here and there, but MiTo's one is even too normal, even a bit boring. They could have a done a better job, imo.

Street_Dreamer
09-10-2008, 12:33 PM
About the interior, are you talking about quality or design? The Mini is really well-built, but, as I said, I don't remember the MiTo's interior quite well. If you're talking about interior, well, that's a personal opinion: Mini's interior is a bit too special here and there, but MiTo's one is even too normal, even a bit boring. They could have a done a better job, imo.Mainly design, but apparently the quality of the Mito is as good as the Mini's at least.
It's a hideous interior though, especially that speedometer. The Mito one looks better with the 6.5" Nav, which is an option here. I much prefer it to the normal dash, but i suspect mine will come with the blue & me nav.

Ferrer
09-10-2008, 01:23 PM
You're right :) so, we can talk in Italian, nobody will care :D
I can almost understand italian, so go ahead. :)

Concerning the Mito I think its main problems are the front (too sort of bulbous) and the interior (too sort of rubish). But considering it's a Punto developed on a shoestring, not bad.

LeonOfTheDead
09-10-2008, 03:04 PM
I can almost understand italian, so go ahead. :)

and I can almost understand Spanish ;)

Concerning the Mito I think its main problems are the front (too sort of bulbous) and the interior (too sort of rubish). But considering it's a Punto developed on a shoestring, not bad.

agree about the front, but I like the interior up to know, need to touch tough.

teatako
09-10-2008, 03:35 PM
No, you got me wrong - I think... What I meant is that in the official pics the rims (the 5 holes which comes only as 17") look HUGE but in real life... you understand there's something wrong... also, the car in AR official pics is lowered...

so weīre saying the same thing at each other... yeah i think i got you way wrong. my bad

anyways, a shame the interior isnīt that great. i remember getting in a 147 (which nobody likes but i still think itīs the best looking hatchback ever made) TI and the interior was nothing short of an experience.shortly after, I even bought a pair of sneakers just cos they were dark gray suede and had red stitching like the car. thatīs my idea of an AR interior.

M_M
09-10-2008, 04:45 PM
and I can almost understand Spanish ;)

Dae me parti se parla el diaeto veneto che l'č/sč/xč simile ao spagnolo :D

agree about the front, but I like the interior up to know, need to touch tough.

I agree too... it's not a bad front end, especially if you think AR had to work on a GPunto, so they couldn't make huge changes. But it's not so... well... sexy...

M_M
09-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Mainly design, but apparently the quality of the Mito is as good as the Mini's at least.
It's a hideous interior though, especially that speedometer. The Mito one looks better with the 6.5" Nav, which is an option here. I much prefer it to the normal dash, but i suspect mine will come with the blue & me nav.

A friend of mine has a Mini Cooper R56. I got used to the huge speedometer, even though that lonely revcounter still looks a bit too lonely... My friend also had an R53, and in that one the speedometer was placed next to the revcounter, behind the steering wheel. Much better.

So are you going to buy a MiTo? Don't forget to buy it with AT LEAST 18" rims :) ... and I think the nav does not come as standard here too.

M_M
09-10-2008, 04:52 PM
so weīre saying the same thing at each other... yeah i think i got you way wrong. my bad

anyways, a shame the interior isnīt that great. i remember getting in a 147 (which nobody likes but i still think itīs the best looking hatchback ever made) TI and the interior was nothing short of an experience.shortly after, I even bought a pair of sneakers just cos they were dark gray suede and had red stitching like the car. thatīs my idea of an AR interior.

I like the 147 :) but not the restyled one, AR managed to ruin a pure design with the restyling. And I know what you mean, interiors like that are sensational :cool:

cmcpokey
09-10-2008, 07:55 PM
A friend of mine has a Mini Cooper R56. I got used to the huge speedometer, even though that lonely revcounter still looks a bit too lonely... My friend also had an R53, and in that one the speedometer was placed next to the revcounter, behind the steering wheel. Much better.

mine had the tach all by its lonesome. and i miss it. there is nothing you need to pay more attention to than the tach in that car, and it was always in plain sight. not hidden behind your hands, or small next to the speedo.

worse are the audis that have the big screen in between. you cant see either.

M_M
09-10-2008, 11:58 PM
mine had the tach all by its lonesome. and i miss it. there is nothing you need to pay more attention to than the tach in that car, and it was always in plain sight. not hidden behind your hands, or small next to the speedo.

worse are the audis that have the big screen in between. you cant see either.

Isn't speedometer a synonym of tachometer? :confused: Maybe you meant the revcounter is the most important thing to pay attention to? If so, I agree... Even though I almost never look at the rev when I drive relaxed, because I got used to shift gear as soon as possible to keep fuel consumption low. But when I want to go near the red line (result: a lot of noise... full stop :D) then the revcounter is almost everything I care about.
But then, when you're driving fast and there's the police somewhere near you, getting a look at the tacho would be useful methink :D

LeonOfTheDead
09-11-2008, 12:49 AM

that's why I understand Spanish...but not only...

The Nav should be optional, and of the "tom tom" style, so you can take it with you when you exit the car,

M_M
09-11-2008, 01:53 AM
that's why I understand Spanish...but not only...

Never had a doubt about that :cool: :rolleyes:

The Nav should be optional, and of the "tom tom" style, so you can take it with you when you exit the car,

A la 500? Aren't there any other options?

Ferrer
09-11-2008, 01:59 AM
So it might be similar, but I can speak catalan as well.

One day I'll learn italian properly. :)

Concerning the Mini we had the new old one, with both the revcounter and the speedo behind the wheel and I've never had any visibility problems. I love that car.

M_M
09-11-2008, 02:43 AM
So it might be similar, but I can speak catalan as well.

One day I'll learn italian properly. :)

Concerning the Mini we had the new old one, with both the revcounter and the speedo behind the wheel and I've never had any visibility problems. I love that car.

Good luck with learning Italian! :)
As i said, I like your tacho-configuration more than the standard one, but that's also a matter of taste. Anyway I never said the Mini's tachometer/revcounter is not visible (especially the standard tacho :D)

cmcpokey
09-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Isn't speedometer a synonym of tachometer? :confused: Maybe you meant the revcounter is the most important thing to pay attention to? If so, I agree... Even though I almost never look at the rev when I drive relaxed, because I got used to shift gear as soon as possible to keep fuel consumption low. But when I want to go near the red line (result: a lot of noise... full stop :D) then the revcounter is almost everything I care about.
But then, when you're driving fast and there's the police somewhere near you, getting a look at the tacho would be useful methink :D

speedomether=speedo=speed, tachometer=tach=rev counter.

the mini is a bit different than normal cars, it is very sensative to what rpm it is in. i used to watch it like a hawk to make sure i was above 3000 rpm, at pretty much all times. there was also a digital speedo on the tach, so you didnt have to look to the big fricken one in the middle.

Ferrer
09-11-2008, 08:47 AM
the mini is a bit different than normal cars, it is very sensative to what rpm it is in. i used to watch it like a hawk to make sure i was above 3000 rpm, at pretty much all times. there was also a digital speedo on the tach, so you didnt have to look to the big fricken one in the middle.
Really? I always thought that the Mini was very good in terms of low-rev punch. Certainly in the motorway I just leave it in 6th all the time and I always have good acceleration.

teatako
09-11-2008, 09:09 AM

is this a cooper or an S? R53, i suppose?

the R56 Cooper S will pull strongly from 1600RPM, and if youīre not careful youīll smell tyre smoke pretty soon from there. you can wear them out in 9000 km if youīre as badass a driver as I am.

or are normal cars=big block chevyīs to you?

M_M
09-11-2008, 09:44 AM

Oh really? Well when I asked you that question I also searched tachometer and speedometer in an online dictionary and this told me they are synonym... :confused:

I didn't know about the digital speedo, I don't think the r56 have it (well, I haven't noticed it, maybe it has to be selected?).
I don't think you had to watch the tacho like a hawk in an r56, considering that the torque is available from really low rpm. But then I don't know which is better, a constant push or a kick at a certain rpm. Some days ago I sat as a passenger in a 1st gen r53 Cooper S. It hadn't the JC Works kit but, thanks to some tricks (I don't think too legal...) it produced more than 200-210hp. That Mini reminded me what "torque" is - you know, I quite forgot it driving the Corsa :p oh, and it also had a lovely sound...

teatako
09-11-2008, 10:39 AM
The r56 has a digital speedo and it has to be selected, yes. Iīd say "the best" is a naturally aspirated engine that is not way too protected (like the Civic Si,in which you step on the gas and then quickly take your foot of it and nothing happens, throttle response is nonexistent) but i think you have to pay GT3 money to get that. (i havenīt driven an s2000)

Ferrer
09-11-2008, 11:11 AM
The r56 has a digital speedo and it has to be selected, yes. Iīd say "the best" is a naturally aspirated engine that is not way too protected (like the Civic Si,in which you step on the gas and then quickly take your foot of it and nothing happens, throttle response is nonexistent) but i think you have to pay GT3 money to get that. (i havenīt driven an s2000)
If you want a N/A engine with good throttle response then the easiest way is to get more cubes. :)

Street_Dreamer
09-11-2008, 11:16 AM
So are you going to buy a MiTo? Don't forget to buy it with AT LEAST 18" rims :) ... and I think the nav does not come as standard here too. I am indeed, and i will be getting the 18" 3-spokes. Not sure which colour though, still... When i inevitably wreck my first set of wheels (it will be my first car, so i'm sure the odd scrape will happen with the wheels) i would like to get some black 19s, especially if i get a black Mito (afraid of swirl marks though)

teatako
09-11-2008, 11:56 AM
If you want a N/A engine with good throttle response then the easiest way is to get more cubes. :)

even easier if I get a bike, and i get even higher revs!. seriously though, thatīs not even half the civicīs issue, if you leave in neutral and stab the throttle, youīd normally expect the revs to climb dramatically in a vtec engine designed for high revs. not the case.

LeonOfTheDead
09-11-2008, 12:56 PM
even easier if I get a bike, and i get even higher revs!. seriously though, thatīs not even half the civicīs issue, if you leave in neutral and stab the throttle, youīd normally expect the revs to climb dramatically in a vtec engine designed for high revs. not the case.

it's not that easy. required emissions levels influence a lot the engine's response, and performance engines like Honda's ones suffer it quite heavily, it changed a lot their behavior compared to older models.
electronic controlled throttle doesn't help neither.

teatako
09-11-2008, 02:09 PM
it's not that easy. required emissions levels influence a lot the engine's response, and performance engines like Honda's ones suffer it quite heavily, it changed a lot their behavior compared to older models.
electronic controlled throttle doesn't help either.

If itīs for environmental reasons, thatīs different. Wonīt complain then. treehugging FTW :D

cmcpokey
09-11-2008, 04:14 PM
i had an R53 S. and i just liked having the power available to me. didnt like the 'lag' that was there below 3k. like teatako said about the civic, the engine just failed to climb with out keeping your foot burried. i think Ferrer's mini might not have has as much problem with it, since the fuel you get in europe is a significantly higher octane than it is here. and the higher octane really helps.

normal cars for me are not big V8 camaros and such. i have had small 4 cyls up until my current G35. that does have the torque that i didnt really have with the mini.

LeonOfTheDead
09-12-2008, 01:00 AM
i had an R53 S. and i just liked having the power available to me. didnt like the 'lag' that was there below 3k. like teatako said about the civic, the engine just failed to climb with out keeping your foot burried. i think Ferrer's mini might not have has as much problem with it, since the fuel you get in europe is a significantly higher octane than it is here. and the higher octane really helps.

normal cars for me are not big V8 camaros and such. i have had small 4 cyls up until my current G35. that does have the torque that i didnt really have with the mini.

I knew that US fuels have less octane than here, but how much less? average octane in US?
here is 95, and 98 with "premium" fuels.

clutch-monkey
09-12-2008, 01:33 AM
isince the fuel you get in europe is a significantly higher octane than it is here. and the higher octane really helps.

I knew that US fuels have less octane than here, but how much less? average octane in US?

iirc there is no difference, but merely a different rating system..if anything the US equivalents are more consistent than europe.

M_M
09-12-2008, 01:45 AM
iirc there is no difference, but merely a different rating system..if anything the US equivalents are more consistent than europe.

Oh really? I once read that in the U.S. average fuel octane was something like 91 or even less...

Ferrer
09-12-2008, 01:48 AM
I always put 95 in it. And it's always been fine.

From 1500rpm it pulls cleanly. But I thinks it's not only the engine but the short gearing that helps there too. In fact 6th can be used from about 50km/h (~30mph) and in the motorway you never need to get out of 6th gear, even if you get stuck behind a lorry doing 90-100km/h when it pulls out you can accelerate quite fast without changing down.

clutch-monkey
09-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Oh really? I once read that in the U.S. average fuel octane was something like 91 or even less...

87 and 91 MON. not RON. But Europe does have higher octanes available i think.
Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating)

LeonOfTheDead
09-16-2008, 03:05 PM
this afternoon I was out with the GF and found a black MiTo with 17" wheels at the mall
I find it way better in the flesh than in pics, and the wheels are ok imo, they look big enough. the front is curvaceous, but not as much as it looks on jpeg, and I like it. the overall look is quite impressive for a car of that segment, better than any (new) Mini or 500.
sure, the car could be lowered by one or two inches. but it still really good looking.

M_M
09-19-2008, 01:52 AM
the overall look is quite impressive for a car of that segment, better than any (new) Mini or 500.

I like the Mini or the 500 more (a lot more...).

sure, the car could be lowered by one or two inches.

Oh, that's for sure... :)

Last Sunday I went to the Alfa Romeo dealer to test the MiTo (I also took some pics, if anybody is interested).
There were two MiTo to test: a black 1.4 TB and a white 1.6 Mjet. They both had sticker on the bonnet and on the side (will post some pics). So, I had a go with the Turbo Benzina.
First of all, parking sensor are absolutely compulsory: you can almost see nothing when you turn your head to look behind the car. Windows are small... and the ass is big :D
Then I had something like a 3 minutes test drive, so I can't be too comprehensive.
The first thing I noticed was the clutch: waaay tooo soft/light, even lighter than my Corsa's clutch (and the MiTo also has double the torque...). But probably I could get used to it, after a few time spent behind the steering wheel.
Dunno what to say about comfort, the roads I drove on were not rough (can I say that?).
And now the engine: I didn't floor the pedal in the first minutes (I wanted to concentrate on something else, like the noise: not bad at all, especially when you turn the car on, but the car is maybe a bit too loud when cruising. I don't know whether Alfa's engineers did that to make the engine's roar constantly audible) but then I did... Woah, I haven't driven cars such the Mini Cooper S but... what an engine! It reminded me what torque is :D
You can put it in 4th or even 5th gear and then accelerate. If you push the pedal just to its half, the car seems to accelerate like my Corsa. Then you push it a bit more (or you floor it) and the the car accelerates brilliantly! And there were three people in the car.
Oh, and you can tell the engine was built with low/mid rpms torque in mind: when you go near 5500rpm, you can actually feel that the push start to vanish. But that's ok, I think, the engine is always a 1.4cc...
What else? I didn't cornered too violently, so I can't tell about the chassis, but a friend of mine (the one with the R56 Cooper) told me that the chassis was not as firm as the one underneath the Mini. But we both agreed on the MiTo's engine...
Last thing to add: I don't like the interior but it's nicely trimmed with quite good quality plastics. But the power windows switchers are a bit too distant from you left hand when you search them...

P.S.: I drove the car in Dynamic and Normal mode. When switching from N to D you can actually feel the engine roaring a bit more. I was driving at constant speed and switched to D: the rpms raised of about 500rpm. Dunno if I've been clear...

Street_Dreamer
09-19-2008, 02:38 PM
I like the Mini or the 500 more (a lot more...)
I can understand the 500. But the new New Mini? *shudders*. It's a monstrosity. The old New Mini was a good looking car; even if i didn't like it, i'll admit that much, but the new one is horrid.

LeonOfTheDead
09-19-2008, 02:43 PM
I can understand the 500. But the new New Mini? *shudders*. It's a monstrosity. The old New Mini was a good looking car; even if i didn't like it, i'll admit that much, but the new one is horrid.

I don't find it horrid, but being too similar to the old New Mini, it lacks of the appeal the first had, and also the new one has more banal details. I had some hard times looking at the differences between the two, and that is enough for me to say that they fail with the style.

Street_Dreamer
09-19-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't find it horrid, but being too similar to the old New Mini, it lacks of the appeal the first had, and also the new one has more banal details. I had some hard times looking at the differences between the two, and that is enough for me to say that they fail with the style.The healights and higher waistline make it look fat. That alone, makes me hate it.