PDA

View Full Version : First Corvette ZR1 in Europe + shakedown

monaroCountry
09-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Corvette ZR1 Autobahn shakedown - ABHD auto video’s (http://www.abhd.nl/video/corvette-zr1-autobahn-shakedown/)

fisetdavid26
09-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm going to abuse my moderating power in this thread.

Yes. On post #2, which is indeed the first reply.

Thou shall read and respect my commandment:

Anybody who mention the GT-R in this thread will unleash the mysterious yet heavily powerful Threadlock.

Thanks.

baddabang
09-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Gtr sucks!!!

whiteballz
09-10-2008, 03:39 PM
I'd hit that corvette repeatedly. hard. With my love meat.

lul, GTR* *for purposes of amusement only

fisetdavid26
09-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Gtr sucks!!!
Have you ever met Banuser? He's a good buddy of Threadlock.

Matra et Alpine
09-10-2008, 03:40 PM
nice ... but now 100% detest that cheap looking plastic bubble on the bonnet :(

baddabang
09-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Have you ever met Banuser? He's a good buddy of Threadlock.

I cannot say we are acquainted.

This video is epic. He buried that needle way too easily.

baddabang
09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
nice ... but now 100% detest that cheap looking plastic bubble on the bonnet :(

That is why you buy this hood.
http://www.katechengines.com/street_performance/images/shows/Grand%20Prix%20Party%202008/katech%20Edel%20gpp%20'08-164.JPG

digitalcraft
09-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Yeah that hood is so gimicky. For how much I like the ZR-1 I hate that hood.

There's a million cars I'd probably buy 1st, but if I somehow ended up with a ZR-1 first thing to go would be that hood.

digitalcraft
09-10-2008, 04:09 PM
"So ya after a little driving, everything looks good, so we will speed up for the next couple of kilometers."

My mouth goes XD

Niko_Fx
09-10-2008, 04:34 PM
This video is epic. He buried that needle way too easily.

Agreed, it almost touched 200mph like it was nothing.

kingofthering
09-10-2008, 05:10 PM
The ZR1 sucks because it cannot run Crysis like the GT-R does...oh wait, wrong forum.

Anyway, if this car were any more powerful, it would be a God in certain nations.

Or a viable write-in candidate for the 2008 election.

coolieman1220
09-10-2008, 06:16 PM
that thing is a beast......

f6fhellcat13
09-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Agreed, it almost touched 200mph like it was nothing.
That speedo is in metric! It's a ringer! GTR is a million bazilion times faster around the 'ring! It is a small naval warship! etc etc... :p
It's awesome

cmcpokey
09-10-2008, 07:46 PM
It is a small naval warship!

and what, pray tell, do you mean by that exactly?

f6fhellcat13
09-10-2008, 08:42 PM
A corvette is a type of warship IIRC. I was being sarcatic

Roentgen
09-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Gtr sucks!!!

Let me guess, you're either drunk when you said that, or you're insanely rich, therefore consider the GTR as too cheap. :p

DFH
09-10-2008, 10:57 PM
holly crap i didn't expect the corvette to be this fast amazing it is but i'd still have the Viper SRT10 because that car will kill you

clutch-monkey
09-10-2008, 11:22 PM
i bet they don't make it RHD. fail.

hellooo GTR.. :D

henk4
09-11-2008, 12:00 AM
In the USA all ZR1s will come together with a special driver training. Haven't heard about that for the deliveries to Europe (maybe not required:)).
Interesting comment in the latest issue of Motor Trend. Any change to engine control chip to run more boost will result in serious overheating problems, which would require a larger cooling circuit plus a hood protruding intercooler.....

monaroCountry
09-11-2008, 01:41 AM
In the USA all ZR1s will come together with a special driver training. Haven't heard about that for the deliveries to Europe (maybe not required:)).
Interesting comment in the latest issue of Motor Trend. Any change to engine control chip to run more boost will result in serious overheating problems, which would require a larger cooling circuit plus a hood protruding intercooler.....

European buyers have their driver training at Paul Ricard circuit in France.

Like most cars designed to run FI there is a very good margin of error, running more boost would be OK. Like everything else if you want to go over the top (IMO 800hp and above) then of course you should toughen up other components. The performance market would have already looked at cooling issues and would have solved it. The LS9 is similar to other SC LSx engines and this type of setup is already a well trodden path.

henk4
09-11-2008, 01:57 AM
Like most cars designed to run FI there is a very good margin of error, running more boost would be OK. Like everything else if you want to go over the top (IMO 800hp and above) then of course you should toughen up other components. The performance market would have already looked at cooling issues and would have solved it. The LS9 is similar to other SC LSx engines and this type of setup is already a well trodden path.

The comments by ZR1 team in Motor Trend are not in line with what you are saying. For the time being I have more trust in them than in you. Well trodden for the first supercharged engine????

Ferrer
09-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Unlike us they are not used to go above 55mph... :D

henk4
09-11-2008, 02:30 AM
the great state of Washington allows 70 mph.....

Ferrer
09-11-2008, 02:45 AM
That may be a scarily fast speed for them...

henk4
09-11-2008, 02:47 AM

my Town and Country felt quite at ease.....

Ferrer
09-11-2008, 02:51 AM
my Town and Country felt quite at ease.....
I wonder how it'd cope with European speeds and motorways though.

Let's say italian ones... :D

Matra et Alpine
09-11-2008, 03:04 AM
Or a viable write-in candidate for the 2008 election.
I thought it had.
After Barak's line about "lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig" :)
:D :D :D :D

ScionDriver
09-11-2008, 07:35 AM
That is a monster of a car.

cmcpokey
09-11-2008, 07:56 AM
I thought it had.
After Barak's line about "lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig" :)
:D :D :D :D

not to bring politics up, but that is a really old phrase, the media even pulled out a clip of john mccain saying it. anyone that follows US politics has heard that phrase before.

cmcpokey
09-11-2008, 08:00 AM
texas has 80 mph in places

we have a really strange blend of drivers, those that stay at/under the limit, and those like me that stay well over, usually 10-20, depending on where. and also depending on where you are, the slow drivers generally stay out of the left lanes, so you can blow right past them.

henk4
09-11-2008, 08:06 AM
and also depending on where you are, the slow drivers generally stay out of the left lanes, so you can blow right past them.\
except for women who tend to use their mirrors only to check the hair-do

cmcpokey
09-11-2008, 08:15 AM
\
except for women who tend to use their mirrors only to check the hair-do

truth.

Matra et Alpine
09-11-2008, 09:12 AM
not to bring politics up, but that is a really old phrase, the media even pulled out a clip of john mccain saying it. anyone that follows US politics has heard that phrase before.
I knew and why I thought the post woudl be humourous :)
Just LOVE how the US system so quickly becomes a slagging match with the press goading everyone. :)
We saw the McCain use last night on our political news program.
Are Republican/Democratic voters that uneducated not to see the manipulation ??????

culver
09-11-2008, 09:16 AM

Heck, these days I'm on a bike so 30mph would seem really fast!

digitalcraft
09-11-2008, 10:20 AM
I knew and why I thought the post woudl be humourous :)
Just LOVE how the US system so quickly becomes a slagging match with the press goading everyone. :)
We saw the McCain use last night on our political news program.
Are Republican/Democratic voters that uneducated not to see the manipulation ??????

Yes. Although it seems most people are seeing through the phony outrage concern trolling.

M_M
09-11-2008, 03:49 PM
I thinks yellow fits it more than blue. A loot more. Also, the whole-black roof + pillars is really appealing... but i have to admit I was a bit disappointed when the driver turned it on: I was expecting a much more brutal sound... sounds good nontheless in the other parts of the video.

monaroCountry
09-11-2008, 05:08 PM
The comments by ZR1 team in Motor Trend are not in line with what you are saying. For the time being I have more trust in them than in you. Well trodden for the first supercharged engine????

The LS7 can easily handle 638fwhp in both turbo and charger form, yet GM decided to go with the smaller displacement and thicker walled LS9 6.2L. This is because they wanted this engine to be reliable and not sacrifice the margin of error. The last thing GM wants is an engine that is close to its limit, especially when they know that some owners will be increasing power with a pulley change etc. This is the reason why GM tests at WOT for 24hr straight along with other barrage of tests.

Changes in ECU would not be enough to cause overheating problems, you really need to changes in pullies along with ECU modifications for overheating problems to crop up. Pullies and ECU changes would net you well over 800hp.

As for a hood protruding intercooler, the aftermarket IMO would relocate the intercooler for higher hp cars. Most higher HP cars would change to some form of front mounted intercooler and not stick to or restricted to a top mounted intercooler.

Falcon500
09-14-2008, 03:40 AM
The LS7 can easily handle 638fwhp in both turbo and charger form

fwhp?

Theres a front wheel drive corvette?:rolleyes:

And how can you be so sure That ECU changes wont do that?

clutch-monkey
09-14-2008, 04:47 AM
fly wheel horsepower falc...

Falcon500
09-14-2008, 04:55 AM
fly wheel horsepower falc...

Oh I am well aware of that just that particular abrreviation typically isnt used to hp at the fly.

kingofthering
09-14-2008, 09:03 AM
The LS7 can easily handle 638fwhp in both turbo and charger form, yet GM decided to go with the smaller displacement and thicker walled LS9 6.2L. This is because they wanted this engine to be reliable and not sacrifice the margin of error. The last thing GM wants is an engine that is close to its limit, especially when they know that some owners will be increasing power with a pulley change etc. This is the reason why GM tests at WOT for 24hr straight along with other barrage of tests.

Changes in ECU would not be enough to cause overheating problems, you really need to changes in pullies along with ECU modifications for overheating problems to crop up. Pullies and ECU changes would net you well over 800hp.

As for a hood protruding intercooler, the aftermarket IMO would relocate the intercooler for higher hp cars. Most higher HP cars would change to some form of front mounted intercooler and not stick to or restricted to a top mounted intercooler.

...and you know this how?