PDA

View Full Version : Ford considers selling Mazda stake

Dino Scuderia
10-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Ford and GM keep saying bankruptcy is not an option....it's damn near mandatory at this point.

TOKYO -- Ford Motor Co. is exploring the sale of its controlling stake in Mazda Motor Co. as part of an effort to shore up the U.S. auto maker's finances amid a downturn in global auto sales and questions about the company's liquidity position, according to a person familiar with the matter.

It was unclear how much of the Dearborn, Mich. company's 33.4% controlling interest in Mazda would be up for grabs, but the person said that Ford is looking at a broad range of asset sales in advance of substantial losses expected to be announced when the auto maker releases its third-quarter results later this month.

A spokesperson for Ford Asia Pacific declined to comment, saying that the company does not talk publicly about possible asset sales.

Mazda said it was not aware of any plans by Ford to sell its stake in the company. "We have not announced anything, and nothing has been decided," Mazda said in a statement. "We have nothing to disclose."

The tie up between the two auto makers dates to 1979, when Ford acquired a 25% stake in Mazda. In 1996, as Mazda foundered in debt amid declining sales, Ford increased its share to 33.4%, giving it effective control of the company under Japanese law.

Mazda and Ford operate a number of joint ventures around the globe, including the Auto Alliance International plant in Flat Rock, Mich., where Mazda produces its Mazda6 sedan and Ford makes the Mustang.

In its current four-year business plan, Mazda had set a goal of deepening its "strong and enduring partnership" with Ford by sharing personnel, platforms, dealership operations, the research and development of hybrid cars and joint manufacturing operations in China and Thailand as well as the U.S.

Since suffering huge losses in 2001, Mazda, Japan's fifth largest auto maker by sales volume, has made a comeback, posting record profits in recent years. Ford, by contrast, has lost $24 billion since 2006. Worries that slumping auto sales around the world and reduced access to credit may mean that auto makers do not have enough cash to survive the economic downturn have hammered shares of Ford and General Motors Corp. this week. People familiar with the matter say that GM has recently been in discussions about acquiring Chrysler LLC, in another dramatic sign of the pressures mounting on the U.S. auto industry to restructure. (See related article).

In an interview Friday, Ford Chief Executive Alan Mulally reiterated that bankruptcy is not an option for the struggling auto maker though there is no clear indication about when it might return to profitability.

Wall Street Journal

scottie300z
10-11-2008, 01:11 PM
I'd rather see them sale something else. Mazda has gotten their stuff together and while that means they may get a good price if I were them I'd rather keep it.

NSXType-R
10-11-2008, 01:52 PM
If selling Mazda means that Mazda can be independent again, I'm all for it. That means that we can see the return of the RX-7, maybe even to racing again.

The only issue is, it will only hurt Ford. Ford has never pulled a profit, but Mazda has. How will it benefit Ford?

I don't give a crap about Ford, but this can only be a bad decision, for the survival of Ford.

f6fhellcat13
10-11-2008, 02:00 PM
If selling Mazda means that Mazda can be independent again, I'm all for it. That means that we can see the return of the RX-7, maybe even to racing again.

The only issue is, it will only hurt Ford. Ford has never pulled a profit, but Mazda has. How will it benefit Ford?

I don't give a crap about Ford, but this can only be a bad decision, for the survival of Ford.

I doubt this will help Ford, Mazda makes money so Ford makes money (not enough to keep them out of the sh*thole) but selling Mazda will hurt even more in the long run.

Ferrer
10-11-2008, 02:43 PM

Well they owned only 33% of Mazda so I doubt the Ford sale would affect much their "independence".

However I wonder how that could affect all the technology both companies share currently.

EDIT Having read the first post they would regain independence.

NSXType-R
10-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Well they owned only 33% of Mazda so I doubt the Ford sale would affect much their "independence".

However I wonder how that could affect all the technology both companies share currently.

EDIT Having read the first post they would regain independence.

Well for one thing, they won't be sharing platforms anymore. Does Ford still own Volvo?

f6fhellcat13
10-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Well for one thing, they won't be sharing platforms anymore. Does Ford still own Volvo?
Yes, but they want to sell them.

cmcpokey
10-11-2008, 03:54 PM
i cant decide how into this i am. as much as im not really into ford owning mazda, they do have a lot of resources that mazda uses. since i own 2 of them, i like mazda having as many resources as possible.

and mazda has had a lot of freedom to decide their own fate in the last few years, so i dont think it will really free up their idea pool.

digitalcraft
10-11-2008, 04:06 PM
If Ford sells anything, it won't be their stake in Mazda.

LeonOfTheDead
10-11-2008, 04:49 PM
since the situation is very bas since so many years, I wouldn't be surprised if Ford ended up selling both Mazda and Volvo. they desperately need money. soon.

10-11-2008, 05:25 PM
ford seems to be trying awfully hard to get rid of all assets that may earn them future profit

cmcpokey
10-11-2008, 08:58 PM
ford seems to be trying awfully hard to get rid of all assets that may earn them future profit

thats true, but to get rid of the money losing brands, ford woudl have to sell... well, ford. (lincoln and mercury too.)

so woudl the answer be to stop making all cars in the US with the exception of the trucks, since they make money. just concentrate on their overseas interests.

if they did that, then imported the euro fords, i may be interested in a ford.

h22a
10-11-2008, 09:29 PM
dont know about mazda but volvo has been a huge money maker for ford in recent years. it would be very sloppy if they sold off volvo....when i finished up with volvo 6 month ago volvo had about a 33% increase every year in sales since 2003 placing them
5th in the prestige market.

scottie300z
10-11-2008, 09:56 PM
thats true, but to get rid of the money losing brands, ford woudl have to sell... well, ford. (lincoln and mercury too.)

so woudl the answer be to stop making all cars in the US with the exception of the trucks, since they make money. just concentrate on their overseas interests.

if they did that, then imported the euro fords, i may be interested in a ford.

I agree. They think they know what they're doing by giving the US cars made specifically for the market but they apparently aren't good at knowing the market. The mondeo and the new fiesta over here would be nice, w/o them lifting a finger.

Lincoln and mercury need complete overhauls in my opinion. Mercury may not be needed and lincoln needs to look at cadillac

digitalcraft
10-11-2008, 10:42 PM
There was a time when they could have made mercury successful because it was sort of the sports version of ford, but they absolute killed it with things like the sable.

Honestly, the sable isn't a horrible car, but its like Lamborghini coming out with a four-door or something... oh wait. How about Porsche... no that's not it. Anyways, you get the idea, if you're going to build a brand image, you should stick to that image and not put cars in it that directly compete against your main brand in the extremely short-sighted notion the sporty brand might make that car sell better.

IBrake4Rainbows
10-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Isn't Mazda pretty much the ONLY profitable arm of Ford Mo Co?

Why would you kill the golden goose of your portfolio? especially when you've assisted in helping with It's debts.

f6fhellcat13
10-12-2008, 12:15 AM
The genuises who want to sell Mazda are probably the same geniuses who got Ford into their current financial cluster**** in the first place.

digitalcraft
10-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Probably the same people who thought it would be an awesome idea to just drop all their established (read millions upon millions of advertising down the drain) and have all the models now start with 'F'!! Five Hundred! Freestyle! Fusion! Focus! ...Fmustang! And then 10 minutes later when they sobered up realized how colossally stupid an idea it was(after a few million more in advertising) and then switched them right back to the old brands.

Seriously. Do not sell marijuana to motorcompany CEOs, please.

Honestly I'm expecting the European branch of Ford to secede in a violent civil war any day now.

f6fhellcat13
10-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Maybe they should get those emergency cyanide pills that spies have, instead.

pimento
10-12-2008, 02:34 AM
Mazda's their best bet for selling, because they need the large pile of cash that will bring in for the short term. Having an arm that offsets losses over a long term is all well and good, but it's more important to rid the core sections of those losses. Apparently the new Fiesta is planned as a world car, so it'll get to the US market if they can stay afloat long enough.

SlickHolden
10-12-2008, 04:23 AM
Good for Mazda - but cutting off your nose to spite your face by Ford Mo.

Ferrer
10-12-2008, 04:52 AM
And angines too. There are a lot of Mazda engines in Fords currently.

dont know about mazda but volvo has been a huge money maker for ford in recent years. it would be very sloppy if they sold off volvo....when i finished up with volvo 6 month ago volvo had about a 33% increase every year in sales since 2003 placing them
5th in the prestige market.
Volvo is currently losing money.

Matra et Alpine
10-12-2008, 05:13 AM
Probably the same people who thought it would be an awesome idea to just drop all their established (read millions upon millions of advertising down the drain) and have all the models now start with 'F'!! Five Hundred! Freestyle! Fusion! Focus! ...Fmustang! And then 10 minutes later when they sobered up realized how colossally stupid an idea it was(after a few million more in advertising) and then switched them right back to the old brands.

Honestly I'm expecting the European branch of Ford to secede in a violent civil war any day now.
Interesting, as it's the Rest of the World Ford who have had the "F" names for a decade :)
I think the problem was they used "focus groups" to determine their strategy.
"here are the Ford Focus and Fiesta woudl you like these in USA"
-YES-
"OK. SO here they are. It's not the same cars as in Europe, it's an older design"
-GET LOST-

IBrake4Rainbows
10-12-2008, 05:19 AM
Ford Australia is a great example of how Directly importing European spec models can be a success.

the Ford Focus, for instance, is essentially the same as that you receive in Europe, and sells well.

The Holden Astra is another example.....

Falcon500
10-12-2008, 05:36 AM
-YES-
"OK. SO here they are. It's not the same cars as in Europe, it's an older design"
-GET LOST-

Sounded like a good plan at the time......

h22a
10-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Volvo is currently losing money.

really:confused:...they painted a different picture to us back in december 2007. sales wise their getting stronger but obviously thats not the whole story.

LeonOfTheDead
10-12-2008, 03:05 PM
really:confused:...they painted a different picture to us back in december 2007. sales wise their getting stronger but obviously thats not the whole story.

good sales doesn't mean earning money
the same is for Saab and GM (not sure it's actually selling well though)

Ferrer
10-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Ford posts $100 million Q1 profit, Volvo loses $151 million - MotorAuthority - Car news, reviews, spy shots (http://www.motorauthority.com/ford-posts-100-million-q1-profit.html)
Volvo Loses Big for Ford, While Jag and Land Rover Profit (http://volvofans.plentyplace.com/2008/01/27/volvo-loses-big-for-ford-while-jag-and-land-rover-profit/)
Volvo suffered loss in 2006 - The Local (http://www.thelocal.se/8078/20070802/)

h22a
10-13-2008, 09:59 AM
i stand majorly corrected!

fpv_gtho
10-13-2008, 06:15 PM
the Ford Focus, for instance, is essentially the same as that you receive in Europe, and sells well.

We currently dont recieve the Kinetic Focus though as the South African plant hasnt updated yet (and may not until we take their production in 2011). The only Kinetic Focus we'll see is the XR5T, as its still European built.

Dino Scuderia
10-21-2008, 05:33 AM
Jumping off the sinking Ford ship.

"Billionaire investor Kirk Kerkorian is pulling out of Ford Motor after becoming the largest individual shareholder outside the Ford family."

WSJ

IBrake4Rainbows
10-21-2008, 06:48 AM
Stupid man.

He invests incorrectly. and this is just going to lower the share price because they'll be more shares kicking around.

Is it because they didn't accept him buying the company at a discount or something? didn't he try this caper with Chrysler?

Dino Scuderia
10-21-2008, 07:25 AM
Yes, he did mess around in Chrysler too in the 90's.

cmcpokey
10-21-2008, 07:38 AM
and he tried to do it a year ago with GM

Ferrer
10-21-2008, 08:03 AM
Stupid man.
Defenitely.

Buying high(ish) selling low? Where did he learn that?

fpv_gtho
10-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Unfortunately Ford will take a hit from that in some form, so its not just some misguided stockholder losing out.

Dino Scuderia
10-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Defenitely.

Buying high(ish) selling low? Where did he learn that?

You always hope your investments will increase but they don't always. Conversely he could hold on to Ford until he loses millions more or it goes to zero. He's already down 12 billion in his MGM holdings which is where most of his money is.

These kinds of investor losses are very common right now in the midst of the sudden financial downturn. Worth billions one day, not so much the next....every day counts.

Ferrer
10-21-2008, 01:39 PM
You always hope your investments will increase but they don't always. Conversely he could hold on to Ford until he loses millions more or it goes to zero. He's already down 12 billion in his MGM holdings which is where most of his money is.

These kinds of investor losses are very common right now in the midst of the sudden financial downturn. Worth billions one day, not so much the next....every day counts.
True. But Ford? I doubt it did make much sense back in April either.

IBrake4Rainbows
10-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Any investment firm, worth there salt or otherwise, saw that Ford was not worth putting any large sum of money into if you were looking for any kind of return - long or short term.

Kerkorian does it because he can, I imagine.

LeonOfTheDead
10-22-2008, 03:12 AM
the fact is that when you are loosing money, you can gain something in taxes' reductions and other helps from the government, so it could have a sense, but a sense we can hardly understand.

(same for MB selling Chrysler at a fraction of the original price, for example)

Dino Scuderia
11-18-2008, 05:30 AM
Ford Sells $540 Million of Mazda Stock to Ease Crunch (Update1)

By Makiko Kitamura

Nov. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Ford Motor Co., reeling from plunging U.S. car sales and a sinking share price, will raise about $540 million selling part of its stake in Japanese affiliate Mazda Motor Corp. to ease cash concerns.

The automaker will sell 20 percent of Mazda tomorrow, reducing its holdings to 13 percent, Ford said in a statement today. Hiroshima-based Mazda will buy back up to a 6.9 percent stake for as much as 17.9 billion yen ($186 million), it said separately. The remainder of the shares will be bought by unidentified ``strategic business partners.''

Ford, which rescued Mazda from bankruptcy 12 years ago, will raise cash from the sale as the credit crunch makes borrowing more difficult. The Dearborn, Michigan-based automaker, General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC, are seeking a combined $25 billion in U.S. government loans.

``When the airplane is too heavy and you're losing power, you have to throw out what you can,'' said Edwin Merner, president of Atlantis Investment Research Corp. in Tokyo, whose parent company manages about $3.1 billion. ``It's a desperate, desperate situation.''

Ford's U.S. sales plunged 28 percent in October, as the industry heads to the lowest annual tally in 15 years. Ford Chief Executive Officer Alan Mulally, GM's Richard Wagoner and Chrysler's Robert Nardelli are scheduled to testify today at a Senate Banking Committee hearing.

Debt Market

Ford, along with GMAC LLC and Chrysler, has been shut out of the market for bonds backed by auto loans. Ford's last public sale of bonds backed by auto loans, a $5.3 billion offering on May 16, cost the automaker 47 times the interest it paid on a comparable sale a year earlier.

The Mazda stake sale ``allows Ford to raise capital that will help fund our product-led transformation,'' Mulally said in a statement.

Ford's sale of Mazda shares follows General Motors Corp.'s sale of its 3 percent stake in Suzuki Motor Corp. today for 22.4 billion yen.

Ford has owned a stake in Japan's fifth-largest automaker since 1979. The companies jointly own factories and Ford has based midsized models such as the Fusion sedan on the Mazda6.

Mazda Management

Mazda named Takashi Yamanouchi as its new president as of tomorrow, replacing Hisakazu Imaki. The company cited Ford's stake sale for the change in management. Chief Financial Officer David Friedman and board member Daniel Morris will also leave the company. Mazda named Kiyoshi Ozaki as the new chief financial officer.

Ford's shares have tumbled 74 percent this year. They slid 8 cents, or 4.4 percent, to $1.72 yesterday in New York Stock Exchange composite trading.

Mazda, which has slumped 67 percent this year, rose 6.4 percent to close at 184 yen today on the Tokyo Stock Exchange.

Ford in May retreated from a goal of a 2009 profit and hasn't set a new target. It has also withdrawn estimates of how much cash it will use from $23.4 billion it borrowed in 2006 to pay for cutting jobs, plant closings and new-model development.

The carmaker sold its Jaguar and Land Rover luxury units to India's Tata Motors Ltd. for about $2.4 billion in June.

Ford formed an automatic-transmission joint venture with Mazda in 1969 and acquired a 25 percent stake in the Japanese automaker in 1979. Ford took effective control of Mazda in May 1996, raising its stake to 33.4 percent. Suffering from debt and excess capacity, Mazda lost 102 billion yen in the three years through March 1996.

To contact the reporter on this story: Makiko Kitamura in Tokyo at [email protected].

Bloomberg.com: Asia (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aCfhpjH__de0&refer=asia)

IBrake4Rainbows
11-18-2008, 05:41 AM
Mistake.......

Although they need to free up some cash, Mazda are pretty much the only thing that keeps Ford cars interesting - they have the R&D know how to make the average exciting.

I see bad things in Fords Future....I really do.

fpv_gtho
11-18-2008, 05:43 AM
They can still leverage Mazda's resources though.

LeonOfTheDead
11-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Mistake.......

Although they need to free up some cash, Mazda are pretty much the only thing that keeps Ford cars interesting - they have the R&D know how to make the average exciting.

I see bad things in Fords Future....I really do.

agree, the near term future is going to be safe, maybe, but after that, say hi to boring cars.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-18-2008, 05:52 AM
Thats exactly the point - for nearly 30 years now Ford US have been consistently selling vehicles that underwhelm or merely complete their alloted tasks adequately. There are a few blips of a pulse but for the most part they are simply flatlining product wise.

The biggest problem, as I see it, is because they often try to build to American standards, if that makes sense - what they consider the American consumer is willing to tolerate, in Interior quality, reliability, styling.....

Make vehicles that are of a world quality.

The other major problem, and this has been touched upon a few times, is that Ford means different things in different parts of the world, whereas a company like Mercedes Benz has the same brand strategy worldwide. Because of this muddled business model it is difficult to create vehicles to appeal to every market. However it is not difficult to revise what a brand stands for in the publics mind - get the advertising & product right, and people will buy it.

I'm just fearful, for many of these behemoth companies, that evolution will be too great a task to take on, and they'll simply collapse under their own weight.

LeonOfTheDead
11-18-2008, 05:56 AM
Thats exactly the point - for nearly 30 years now Ford US have been consistently selling vehicles that underwhelm or merely complete their alloted tasks adequately. There are a few blips of a pulse but for the most part they are simply flatlining product wise.

The biggest problem, as I see it, is because they often try to build to American standards, if that makes sense - what they consider the American consumer is willing to tolerate, in Interior quality, reliability, styling.....

Make vehicles that are of a world quality.

The other major problem, and this has been touched upon a few times, is that Ford means different things in different parts of the world, whereas a company like Mercedes Benz has the same brand strategy worldwide. Because of this muddled business model it is difficult to create vehicles to appeal to every market. However it is not difficult to revise what a brand stands for in the publics mind - get the advertising & product right, and people will buy it.

I'm just fearful, for many of these behemoth companies, that evolution will be too great a task to take on, and they'll simply collapse under their own weight.

don't forget that MB seels the A/B-Klasse somewhere

IBrake4Rainbows
11-18-2008, 06:01 AM
It still fits into the brand strategy though.

Albeit In an Egg-Shaped fashion.

Dino Scuderia
11-18-2008, 06:08 AM
I don't think having Mazda on the team has helped Ford much lately. Whether they have squandered the relationship or not...you be the judge.

Wrapping the ugly Fusion body around the Mazda 6 chassis was bad enough and on top of that they offered no performance editions..for example.(North America)

IBrake4Rainbows
11-18-2008, 06:37 AM
In europe & Australia having mazda on the team has lead to some great successes.

I think Mazda has been mishandled in the US, for sure. the lack of a proper Performance wing (with the exception of the MX-5 & RX-8) has damaged the credibility of the "zoom-zoom" branding they were so keen to push everywhere else.

Ferrer
11-18-2008, 08:55 AM
In europe & Australia having mazda on the team has lead to some great successes.

I think Mazda has been mishandled in the US, for sure. the lack of a proper Performance wing (with the exception of the MX-5 & RX-8) has damaged the credibility of the "zoom-zoom" branding they were so keen to push everywhere else.
European Ford engineers aren't too shaby either.

They could use them instead of Mazda.

Matra et Alpine
11-18-2008, 02:16 PM
The buy in to Mazda was an odd thing to start with.
Ford USA got carried away dick-waving to show their "superiority" in partnering with Mazda.
If they had only looked properly at the European design and production then they could have ahd all they wanted without the expense :)
BUT, rather than see the problem was the way Ford oeprate in the US market, they decided what they "Needed" was Japanese "success" -- after all Honda and Toyota were kicking their asses. Ford USA management would do well to just go-away and let the rest of the world Fords run the business properly ;(

Sledgehammer
11-18-2008, 03:20 PM

Mazdaspeed3 and 6 can be considered performance.

I had heard this morning that mazda had purchased a small portion of ford as well.

culver
11-18-2008, 07:48 PM
agree, the near term future is going to be safe, maybe, but after that, say hi to boring cars.

Not at all! The Mustang is non-Mazda. The Focus SVT was a Focus ST170. The Contour was a great car because it was a Mondeo. Really, I think it could be great for us US buyers because we could get more Euro-Fords instead of good but not as good Mazords. In my experience Ford of Europe seems to know as much about chassis turning as anyone at Mazda.

fpv_gtho
11-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Ford US was already going down the path of recieving Euro Fords through platform ratification before selling stock in Mazda first crossed Mulally's mind.

LeonOfTheDead
11-19-2008, 05:14 AM
I don't think having Mazda on the team has helped Ford much lately. Whether they have squandered the relationship or not...you be the judge.

Wrapping the ugly Fusion body around the Mazda 6 chassis was bad enough and on top of that they offered no performance editions..for example.(North America)

The new Fiesta is just a Mazda2, and it's supposed to be the best seller in Ford's lineup here in EU

Not at all! The Mustang is non-Mazda. The Focus SVT was a Focus ST170. The Contour was a great car because it was a Mondeo. Really, I think it could be great for us US buyers because we could get more Euro-Fords instead of good but not as good Mazords. In my experience Ford of Europe seems to know as much about chassis turning as anyone at Mazda.

I wasn't considering just sporty models, but I found Mazda's approach to new cars more interesting. right now Ford just makes cars. perhaps the new Mondeo is a good car, but I can't say it's intriguing. the new Ka is developed by Fiat basically, the Fiesta as mentioned is a Mazda2, and the new Focus, besides being very good, it's somehow a downturn thinking of the first Focus (speaking of that, the ST170 was not that great here). the C-Max is nothing special, the S-max is considered a great achievement being a sporty-van, but I can't really say it's a good car, or I should admit that also of an X5, you know...
I don't know directly NA Ford's product obviously, but I feel the situation is not so different, besides the quality of some cars.

IMO Mazda is one of the more interesting car makers, especially considered it's not selling exotics, luxurious limousine or niche vehicles. it creates cars for the average Joe, but more appealing. something quite lacking among nowadays market. I would have keep Mazda if I was a Ford's big-head, but I understand they did it just to raise money now, nothing else.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Mazda is, for the most part, run with both the head and heart in unison. They have the beancounters, sure, making sure components aren't running over cost, but there are also the engineers & designers in there, having a say and creating what could be the most exciting mix for Run-of-the-mill vehicles on the market today.

In Australia Mazdas have quite a sporty image - thats despite them not competing in anything particularly racy for a very long time. And it's not entirely undeserved either.

Fords problem is similar to that of Mazdas a while back - albeit on a much larger scale. They have too much product that no one wants, and owe a bucketload of money.

Solution? It might be time to start culling brands like dead wood. Mercury? female oriented, but it doesn't offer a whole lot other than nicer looking Fords.

That'd be the first thing I'd axe, personally.

LeonOfTheDead
11-19-2008, 05:43 AM
Solution? It might be time to start culling brands like dead wood. Mercury? female oriented, but it doesn't offer a whole lot other than nicer looking Fords.

That'd be the first thing I'd axe, personally.

perhaps stop just re-badging a car and pretend it's another one, with a different image just because of the new grille (Mercury), or with an up-class image just because of leather seats and again a new grille (Lincoln).
but that's a problem of GM, Ford and Chrysler too.

Ferrer
11-19-2008, 05:54 AM
I wasn't considering just sporty models, but I found Mazda's approach to new cars more interesting. right now Ford just makes cars. perhaps the new Mondeo is a good car, but I can't say it's intriguing. the new Ka is developed by Fiat basically, the Fiesta as mentioned is a Mazda2, and the new Focus, besides being very good, it's somehow a downturn thinking of the first Focus (speaking of that, the ST170 was not that great here). the C-Max is nothing special, the S-max is considered a great achievement being a sporty-van, but I can't really say it's a good car, or I should admit that also of an X5, you know...
I don't know directly NA Ford's product obviously, but I feel the situation is not so different, besides the quality of some cars.

IMO Mazda is one of the more interesting car makers, especially considered it's not selling exotics, luxurious limousine or niche vehicles. it creates cars for the average Joe, but more appealing. something quite lacking among nowadays market. I would have keep Mazda if I was a Ford's big-head, but I understand they did it just to raise money now, nothing else.
Well Ford's are bread and butter cars, you can't expect the sort of interestingness you'd find in a Honda for instace. And yet many recent Fords have been interesting. Cars like the original Focus or the original Ka, they were great to drive and really stood out.

Ford has currently decided to play it safe, but their chasis are still acknowledged to be amongst the best in the bussiness. We'd probably struggle to find a more driver orientated generalist manufacturer.

kennyknoxville
11-19-2008, 12:28 PM
obama drives a mazda

cmcpokey
11-19-2008, 02:24 PM
obama drives a mazda

he actually drives a Chrysler 300.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-19-2008, 10:36 PM
I somehow doubt he's allowed to drive at all now.

Matra et Alpine
11-20-2008, 04:49 AM
I somehow doubt he's allowed to drive at all now.
He was before ??

DWB :(

IBrake4Rainbows
11-20-2008, 04:53 AM
No, just a man in his position as a president elect generally doesn't drive themselves.

Matra et Alpine
11-20-2008, 05:33 AM
No, just a man in his position as a president elect generally doesn't drive themselves.
I still reckon the risk of being stopped for Driving While Black crime is the reason ... :p

IBrake4Rainbows
11-20-2008, 05:35 AM
"License & Registration please, sir."

"I'm the president of the United States...."

"Yep....but you've got a busted tail light there sir. And according to our rego check this car belongs to the US Taxpayer. Step out of the vehicle....."

Matra et Alpine
11-20-2008, 05:43 AM
"sir" ?

Yeah that'll work in Washington DC, but in the states south of that it woudl be "boy" surely :)