PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Classic racecars

willysjeep
10-12-2008, 12:21 AM
South Africa was full of unusual racecars in the older days.A couple of oneoff specials were built and raced. I will post some here.......but what about the rest of the worlds unusual race cars. Post them :D:D This was the Oliver special from somewhere in the 60's

f6fhellcat13
10-12-2008, 12:40 AM
This isn't particularly unusual, but I find the size difference between the Falcon and the Mini entertaining. :)
http://www.classicrallies.com/img/pictures/5919_mid.jpg

nota
10-12-2008, 03:10 AM
You would have missed my 2005 posting of THIS (http://aussieroadracing.homestead.com/index.html) fabulous site which has heaps of classic-era Oz racing pics, also vintage & veteran

In it you will find everything from basic home-builds to the Centaur coupe and mighty Maybach GP racers

I'm sure you'd enjoy taking time to wade through the 'collections' list and you'll find a 'next' link on the bottom of every page :)

willysjeep
10-12-2008, 04:15 AM
You would have missed my 2005 posting of THIS (http://aussieroadracing.homestead.com/index.html) fabulous site which has heaps of classic-era Oz racing pics, also vintage & veteran

In it you will find everything from basic home-builds to the Centaur coupe and mighty Maybach GP racers

I'm sure you'd enjoy taking time to wade through the 'collections' list and you'll find a 'next' link on the bottom of every page :)This is absolutely fabulous....i'll take time tonight to work this through. Thanx for the link :D:D

willysjeep
10-12-2008, 12:14 PM
Here is also a famous South African car in the 60's. I dont think the rest of the world often raced these cars!!!

nota
10-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Here is also a famous South African car in the 60's.
Great old photo!

I dont think the rest of the world often raced these cars!!!
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/686265-post291.html !!!

Click the studebakerracing.com link in my above post for photos of 100% stock-standard Studies racing at Phillip Island 500 mile enduro (precursor to Bathurst) and Bathurst 500 itself. I particularly like the charismatic final pic .. nose up, foot down (http://www.studebakerracing.com/austr19682L.jpg) ;)

willysjeep
10-14-2008, 06:41 AM
The Mpiti Renault. The car was built for the 1967 9hr, by Terry Townsend with financial help from Lawsons Motors and using a 1100 Gordini engine. It lasted for the first 4 hours when a clutch broke and Townsend parked at the track side. Ben Pons Porsche in avoiding another car, hit the Mpiti and virtually destroyed it.

In 2002 Townsend decided to rebuild the car using new moulds for the body etc as he thought the original had been damn ugly. He replaced the Gordini engine with a 16TS motor and R12 gearbox.

This car is still widely appreciated at motorshows in South Africa

faksta
10-14-2008, 06:49 AM
In 2002 Townsend decided to rebuild the car using new moulds for the body etc as he thought the original had been damn ugly. He replaced the Gordini engine with a 16TS motor and R12 gearbox.

Not so smart for him, unfortunately. The original one looked better, in my opinion.

willysjeep
10-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Not so smart for him, unfortunately. The original one looked better, in my opinion.
I am in the process to try to get better pic of Mpiti after the rebuild, but Terry Townsend is not too co operative......i've send him 6 emails and everytime a different answer or excuse......:confused::confused::eek::mad: and as i am in the same leaque as a political reporter....i wont give up trying. So watch this space............................................. ....

willysjeep
11-30-2008, 04:58 AM
The Kyalami 9 hr revival was held last weekend and i managed to missed it somehow. The Mpiti Renault in its new livery came out for practice, and this pic was taken by a professional racecar photographer, which he posted on his site. Here's a link to his site. Very nice pix there as well

MotoPrint - Quality Original Prints (http://www.motoprint.co.za)

GumballRunner
11-30-2008, 10:30 AM
There is a bunch of freaky racecars; my favorite is the BMW Isetta (I don't want to know about its crash-test ratings)

henk4
11-30-2008, 11:03 AM
There is a bunch of freaky racecars; my favorite is the BMW Isetta (I don't want to know about its crash-test ratings)

that's nice, you think the ratings would be worse than those of a 695 Esseesse?

MartB
11-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Nice pictures. This link shows ice racing in the fifties. I think there are some really cool cars there. The race takes part on a lake in my home town in Sweden. YouTube - Isracing 1954 i Hudiksvall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md11yaWDBl0)

GumballRunner
11-30-2008, 12:19 PM
that's nice, you think the ratings would be worse than those of a 695 Esseesse?

I really dunno, it depends mostly on the kind of inclines during the race!
:cool:

Matra et Alpine
11-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Nice pictures. This link shows ice racing in the fifties. I think there are some really cool cars there. The race takes part on a lake in my home town in Sweden. YouTube - Isracing 1954 i Hudiksvall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md11yaWDBl0)
FANTASTIC :)

What tyres did they run back then ?
Did they rely on the narrowness or were the spiked ??

The specials looked fast but the "stock" cars looked fun !!

f6fhellcat13
11-30-2008, 01:06 PM

They are so controlled it seems like they would have to be spiked, but thy are scandinavs and they probably have to deal with it more than us.
The lack of tail-outedness was mind boggling.

henk4
11-30-2008, 01:27 PM
was there any sound to it?
can we start identifying the cars?
BMW 328, Allard, a Veritas?
Effiyehs at the beginning?

Matra et Alpine
11-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Good idea Pieter.

Is that an 11CV at 1:55 ? Does look as if the front wheels are driving, but the clip is short and it doesn't look long enough ?? Well ?

faksta
11-30-2008, 02:10 PM
A number of Fords I think... It is really a great video. Where could I read about that races and look some photos? Not in Swedish, preferrably :)

MartB
12-01-2008, 12:36 PM

The tyres were spiked.

During the fifties and the sixties in Sweden (as well as the rest of the Nordic countries) it was quite popular to race so called "Nordic Specials". Peoples own designs where they picked parts from here and there. Quite often these cars had V8 engines at the same time as they were very light. So they should have been quick.

I borrowed a couple of pictures from the internet. The first picture from 1960 shows a "Nordic Special" to the right. The second picture shows a surviving "Nordic Special".

MartB
12-01-2008, 12:39 PM
A number of Fords I think... It is really a great video. Where could I read about that races and look some photos? Not in Swedish, preferrably :)

I´m afraid it´s quite hard to find anything, even in Swedish.

Ferrer
12-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Good idea Pieter.

Is that an 11CV at 1:55 ? Does look as if the front wheels are driving, but the clip is short and it doesn't look long enough ?? Well ?
There's definitely a TA at 1:2X.

faksta
12-24-2008, 03:59 PM
I´m afraid it´s quite hard to find anything, even in Swedish.

Very pity... It's an interesting piece of automotive history.

kvisser
12-24-2008, 05:54 PM
How about the 19 liter, aero-motored, Rabbit. Its a 1911 Benz Mercedes with a 19 liter total oil loss motor. Its on a sister chassis to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

The car raced on the beaches of Denmark in the 20's. It was invited back to Denmark 6 years ago. The owner's son drove it to 120mph on the same beach, 80 years later!

regards

ken

faksta
12-25-2008, 05:10 AM
Well, here's another... We've come around it at another forum recently.

The Biondetti Norton 4000 has entered the only event in its life, which was a 1947 Circuito di Torino practice. From the outside you can't say what's so wrong with the car... Built and raced by Clemente Biondetti, this special had 8 (eight!) Norton 500cc engines.

faksta
12-25-2008, 11:55 AM
By the way, maybe anyone could give me some information on this car, which is believed to be a Wahlberg BMW Special built by Swedish Per Gunnar Wahlberg? Any other or better-res photos would be awesome, too. Also any similar cars would be a great addition - I'm extremely interested in any handmade specials from that era. Thank you.

Pando
12-28-2008, 09:00 AM
Interesting thread guys! More regarding the "Nordic Specials" and racing in Sweden in the 60's:

YouTube - Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUWzJ-RBlw8)

YouTube - Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PqWKAVfSiM)

There's some very nice classics in the video and I wouldn't be surprised if the royal family themselves were taking part in the racing!

MartB
11-06-2009, 02:05 AM

It was quite some time since we discussed this, but I just saw this book about the Swedish motorsport history (it's apparently been around for a while), if you´re still interested:
Speed in Sweden - A Century of Swedish Motor Sports (http://www.grandprixlegends.com/books-and-dvds/reference/history/Speed_in_Sweden_-_A_Century_of_Swedish_Motor_Sports.html)

lotusdag
11-09-2009, 02:20 AM
A racing-friend of mine ran a barge of a Tatra at the Goodwood Revival last year......No the most common choice I would guess.....:)

faksta
11-09-2009, 05:09 AM
It was quite some time since we discussed this, but I just saw this book about the Swedish motorsport history (it's apparently been around for a while), if you´re still interested:
Speed in Sweden - A Century of Swedish Motor Sports (http://www.grandprixlegends.com/books-and-dvds/reference/history/Speed_in_Sweden_-_A_Century_of_Swedish_Motor_Sports.html)

Ah..Think I missed this post. Thank you, I'll keep my eye on this book :)

A racing-friend of mine ran a barge of a Tatra at the Goodwood Revival last year......No the most common choice I would guess.....:)

This one?
YouTube- Tatra603team at GoodWood Revival 2008

henk4
11-09-2009, 06:00 AM

I have a series of shots of the car at the Revival, where the driver made extensive us of the grass along the track. He just managed to keep it going.

LeonOfTheDead
11-09-2009, 06:15 AM
pics, or it never happened. :)
Now I'm curious.

henk4
11-09-2009, 06:31 AM
pics, or it never happened. :)
Now I'm curious.
my upload facilities in the Democratic Repblic of Tajikistan are somewhat restricted...but it did happen. You'll have to wait another week

LeonOfTheDead
11-09-2009, 06:33 AM
my upload facilities in the Democratic Repblic of Tajikistan are somewhat restricted...but it did happen. You'll have to wait another week

Still there?
Admit it, you're having a hell of a time there.:D

henk4
11-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Still there?
Admit it, you're having a hell of a time there.:D

approaching the Dushanbe runaway in the evening in the rain and squeezing between the mountains is not really funny at all....

henk4
11-17-2009, 08:38 AM
as promised, here is the Tatra sequence, I left out a couple, but the picture is clear, and well driven too, no panic, just going wide.

LeonOfTheDead
11-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Nice sequence, especially the first/second shot with the light oversteer and the last one.

nota
11-17-2009, 05:22 PM
#1: Shown leading the 1965 Bathurst 500 mile Production Car endurance race is a Studebaker Commander entered & driven by the Victorian Police Motor Sports Club! The car was loaned free of charge by the Vic Police.

#2: Pre-race picture of the car with one of the Police drivers. All the Victorian Police cars in those days wore this then-very distinctive pale blue paint colour.

#3: A series of broken wheels (all right-front) and cracked brake drum ended an otherwise promising run for the cops. They finished four laps down in 13th outright and 6th in Class D. In this car the Police also came 3rd outright in the '65 Sandown Six Hour race held one month before Bathurst.

#4: This particular Studebaker was a well-known vehicle before it ever hit the race track. Here's a newspaper photo of it being used earlier that year as a road barrier near Sale in Victoria during a prison escape attempt. Two officers are crouched behind it for protection with, appropriately, one of them sitting on a drum marked BP RACING FUEL :D !!

jaromull
11-22-2009, 12:28 AM
as promised, here is the Tatra sequence, I left out a couple, but the picture is clear, and well driven too, no panic, just going wide.

Here are several "at their time" images taken during Grand Prix Brno 6 Hours race in 1966 and 1967 - sorry for Czech captions, I was too lazy to translate them at the images themselves.

1 - 1966, driven by Vermirovsky and Hajdusek
2 - 1966, driven by Mark and Stiborek, 2nd place
3 - 1967, driven by Mark and Cechmanek
4 - 1967, driven by Chovanec
5 - 1967, driven by Vermirovsky and Hajdusek
6 - 1967, same cars as No.3, note the effect of very soft springs ideal for racing, indeed, and open engine hood to improve engine cooling.

henk4
11-22-2009, 01:20 AM
Nice indeed and no traces of vicious oversteer, probably a matter of NOT abruptly lifting at any time.

Ferrer
11-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Nice indeed and no traces of vicious oversteer, probably a matter of NOT abruptly lifting at any time.
Yes, just go flat out all the time... ;)

I've always liked Tatras.

willysjeep
12-27-2011, 11:35 AM
I think this unusual racecar was on UCP before but its still a looker.
Anybody got some history on the car???

henk4
12-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Well, I have seen SLCs in race trim, but not as extreme as this one. Were the shots taken in SA?

csl177
12-27-2011, 07:21 PM
From the looks of the facility, maybe Germany? Anyway, yuck. Maybe a tribute the 1978 Lufthansa LeMans car, with unfortunate
modern DTM style modifications. The real one ran the Nürburgring Oldtimer Grand Prix in 2007, selling shortly afterwards for $195,000.

Pics from the ad:

willysjeep
12-28-2011, 02:14 AM
Well, I have seen SLCs in race trim, but not as extreme as this one. Were the shots taken in SA?

Not SA, somewhere in Europe i suppose..

forza_autodelta
12-29-2011, 03:54 AM
Hi,

it is in the Nurburgring, probably during a VLN meeting or the 24 hours race

henk4
12-29-2011, 04:53 AM
Hi,

it is in the Nurburgring, probably during a VLN meeting or the 24 hours race

thanks, you are right about the Ring, the Mercedes tribune is visible in one of the shots. Any more info on the car?