PDA

View Full Version : Chinese cars in chilean car show

juanelo242
11-07-2008, 07:10 PM
I took these pics in the Autoshow of santiago, i think the chinese part was very interesting. Ther were some very nice cars, and others were very ugly.
1.Brilliance coupe, 2.Brilliance splendor, 3.BYD F0 (they had to change the name from F1 to F0 to avoid some problems. I dont know whether is a copy or not), 4.BYD F3, 5.BYD F3R, 6.Changan CV7

juanelo242
11-07-2008, 07:14 PM
1.Changan CV8, 2.Changfeng Kylin, 3.Changfeng Liebao CS6, 4.Chery Destiny, 5.Chery Face, 6.Chery M11.

juanelo242
11-07-2008, 07:18 PM
1.Geely CK GL, 2.Geely MK5, 3.Great Wall Florid (yaris + SX4), 4.Great Wall Hover CRDi, 5.Great Wall Peri (fiat panda), 6.Hafei Saibao

juanelo242
11-07-2008, 07:25 PM
1.JAC A137, 2.JAC Benjoy C24, 3.MG 550 D, 4.SMA Maple R51 Sport (horrible, notice that says "sport"), 5.ZX Auto Grandtiger, 6.ZX Auto Landmark GL.

Roentgen
11-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Chinese car makers just see what other car makers make, take pictures of them, make them, then re-badge them.

... like what they do to Louis Vuitton handbags, and Rolex Watches... and chicken eggs...

Don't worry, I'm Chinese, I can say this.

f6fhellcat13
11-07-2008, 07:55 PM
I'll say it and I'm not Chinese. :)
Could somebody change the thread title to "Chinese" cars from "Russian" cars.

11-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Chinese car makers just see what other car makers make, take pictures of them, make them, then re-badge them.

... like what they do to Louis Vuitton handbags, and Rolex Watches... and chicken eggs...

at least they changed the badges, they don't change the handbag and rolex brands...

Roentgen
11-08-2008, 12:44 AM
lol, yea, too true.

But then the badges are probably copied from some other brands as well...

Zytek_Fan
11-08-2008, 12:54 AM

The cars are great forms of population control.

Ferrer
11-08-2008, 08:23 AM

Except for the MG 550.

faksta
11-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Nice, but where are 'Russian cars' actually? :)

Bleeding Heart
11-08-2008, 09:01 AM

I'm not out here to offend you but, does china always have to re-badge things... Somewhat unfair to the designers and car makers of the original cars...

Even chicken eggs from China has melamine...

LeonOfTheDead
11-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Except for the MG 550.

I would say I like that, pending on "in the wild sighting not going to happen" though
is it a Roewe 550 though? IIRC it's sold as an MG just in some markets as Chile for example

Roentgen
11-08-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm not out here to offend you but, does china always have to re-badge things... Somewhat unfair to the designers and car makers of the original cars...

Even chicken eggs from China has melamine...

No offense taken.

I, myself, really despise my own culture, for their cheapness, and corruptness. I do believe that it's very unfair for the original car's maker, but the obsession with money in China forces some people to ignore their conscience and carry out this "cheap" act.

However, there are some good people :p. The Chinese car manufacturer, Hong Qi (Red Flag) does make their own designs... although one does look dangerous close the the Rolls Royce Phantom...

Ferrer
11-09-2008, 06:39 AM
I would say I like that, pending on "in the wild sighting not going to happen" though
is it a Roewe 550 though? IIRC it's sold as an MG just in some markets as Chile for example
Yep it is the Roewe. AFAIK the company which makes it and the company which owned the MG rights merged. And as result it is badged an MG in those markets were MG has a higher value image (i.e. most of the world).

faksta
11-09-2008, 08:31 AM
AFAIK they didn't merge, but Roewe has appeared after some Chinese company has acquired MG and Rover. Thus, MG's should be just sporty Roewe's now, I guess.

LeonOfTheDead
11-09-2008, 09:11 AM
AFAIK they didn't merge, but Roewe has appeared after some Chinese company has acquired MG and Rover. Thus, MG's should be just sporty Roewe's now, I guess.

IIRC two separate companies have bought Rover's corpse and the MG company. the first, can't remeber the name, can produce Rover's cars but can't use the Rover name because Ford bought it (it has a sort of agreement since it originally bought Land Rover from BMW when the latter owned Rover too). and so Roewe was born.
The other Chinese company bought MG both as a brand and as a company, and can produce old cars and eventually new ones. Naijing, IIRC.
last month MG entered Chile's market, and among the usual MG's line-up there was also the Roewe 550, but badged as an MG, that's why there should be an agreeement between those Chienese companies.

go.pawel
11-10-2008, 05:01 AM

Actually, we're taking about two companies here:

SAIC - Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation

NAC - Nanjing Automobile (Group) Company

SAIC was in talks with MG Rover about a joint-venture since 2003. After the deal failed and MG Rover went bust in 2005, they were left with the rights to produce the Rover 25 and 75 cars, as well as the technology to produce engines, transmissions etc. They chose to use the name Roewe for the new cars, since in chinese it's pronounced the way Rover is in english.

NAC bought the remainings of the MG Rover and Powertrain Ltd (the sister company of MG Rover that was responsible for their engines, transmission etc.) after the bankruptcy. They got the rights and necessary tooling to produce the ZT and TF models and use the name of MG.

Since both companies' cars shared the same mechanical parts, the chinese government suggested a merger would be a good idea. In December 2007 the deal has been finalized (actually a takeover of NAC by SAIC, though called a merger for publicity purposes).

LeonOfTheDead
11-10-2008, 05:26 AM
Actually, we're taking about two companies here:

SAIC - Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation

NAC - Nanjing Automobile (Group) Company

SAIC was in talks with MG Rover about a joint-venture since 2003. After the deal failed and MG Rover went bust in 2005, they were left with the rights to produce the Rover 25 and 75 cars, as well as the technology to produce engines, transmissions etc. They chose to use the name Roewe for the new cars, since in chinese it's pronounced the way Rover is in english.

NAC bought the remainings of the MG Rover and Powertrain Ltd (the sister company of MG Rover that was responsible for their engines, transmission etc.) after the bankruptcy. They got the rights and necessary tooling to produce the ZT and TF models and use the name of MG.

Since both companies' cars shared the same mechanical parts, the chinese government suggested a merger would be a good idea. In December 2007 the deal has been finalized (actually a takeover of NAC by SAIC, though called a merger for publicity purposes).

they can't use the "Rover" name because it's owned by Ford, who has a right of preemption. When the whole MG Rover group was up for sale after the bankruptcy, they purchased the rights for using the name "Rover". this preemption was established in the moment Ford purchased Land Rover from BMW who in those times owned MG Rover too. as, sort of, posted above your post.

cmcpokey
11-10-2008, 09:12 AM
I'll say it and I'm not Chinese. :)
Could somebody change the thread title to "Chinese" cars from "Russian" cars.

fixed.

go.pawel
11-10-2008, 10:05 AM
they can't use the "Rover" name because it's owned by Ford, who has a right of preemption.

Not quite :) At least not anymore. Nowadays, the Rover marque belongs to Tata Motors. Ford sold it as a part of the Jaguar-Land Rover deal (together with Daimler and Lanchester marques).

But of course you're right when you're saying that SAIC and NAC started using other names, because the Rover marque was at that time owned by Ford.

LeonOfTheDead
11-11-2008, 04:39 AM
Not quite :) At least not anymore. Nowadays, the Rover marque belongs to Tata Motors. Ford sold it as a part of the Jaguar-Land Rover deal (together with Daimler and Lanchester marques).

Damn, I forgot about Ratan Tata!!!:p