PDA

View Full Version : Fords Geelongs engine plant not closing

syko
11-20-2008, 01:53 AM
Its been annouced that the Ford engine plant in Geelong will not be closing. Instead the current engine in the Falcon the I6 will engineered for euro 4 standards plus with a added $21 million to be invested in upgrading the plant.

It would appear that Ford Australia finally has good news.

clutch-monkey
11-20-2008, 02:48 AM
YES! great news imo.

P4g4nite
11-20-2008, 03:26 AM
I thought BMW was going to be lonely as the only maker of straight sixes remaining, but yeah good news for Aussies we love our local big six ...particularly in turbo form.

Ferrer
11-20-2008, 03:32 AM
I thought BMW was going to be lonely as the only maker of straight sixes remaining, but yeah good news for Aussies we love our local big six ...particularly in turbo form.
There's Volvo too. And GM in some SUVs.

I guess then that the Falcon won't receive a V6...

P4g4nite
11-20-2008, 04:19 AM
There's Volvo too. And GM in some SUVs.

I guess then that the Falcon won't receive a V6...

Indeed you are correct, I had forgotten about Volvo...I wonder why they persist with that layout..

Ferrer
11-20-2008, 04:24 AM
Indeed you are correct, I had forgotten about Volvo...I wonder why they persist with that layout..
Probably a natural evolution of their inline 5.

fpv_gtho
11-20-2008, 06:33 AM
Its almost damning how much extra determination a local brings to the company compared to someone transfered in. Polites had it, now Burela seems to have it. I was confident by 2010 the V6 wouldve been fine, but this is the right decision given the likely engineering effort required to get the best out of the V6 given Falcons history of running naturally balanced (I6) or easily balanced (V8) engines.