PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Auto Show drop outs.

Dino Scuderia
11-25-2008, 05:22 AM
Cobo Hall is becoming Catacombs Hall as some auto makers dodge the premier North American show.

Nissan pulls out of Detroit, Chicago auto shows

Excerpt:

Suzuki, Ferrari, Rolls-Royce, Land Rover and Mitsubishi also will pass on the show, once considered the most important in the world. Porsche dropped out last January and said it would stay out in 2009.

In addition, Nissan said it would not participate in the Chicago Auto Show in February. No other carmakers have dropped out of that show.

Nissan pulls out of Detroit, Chicago auto shows - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-nissan25-2008nov25,0,3658433.story)

IBrake4Rainbows
11-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Not really a surprise. Automotive shows have been dwindling over the past couple of years. Particularly in the US but also in Australia.

Tightening of the belt & the fact you can do most reveals online these days......

Ferrer
11-25-2008, 05:32 AM
Not really a surprise. Automotive shows have been dwindling over the past couple of years. Particularly in the US but also in Australia.

Tightening of the belt & the fact you can do most reveals online these days......
European shows still seem to be going strong though.

Well at least so far.

NicFromLA
11-25-2008, 06:13 AM
That's sad.

I wonder if LA isn't going to become the preeminent North American auto show now? I mean it has better weather and in the world's largest car market. I mean North America NEEDS a true international auto show.

NSXType-R
11-25-2008, 08:10 AM
I wonder how this will affect the NY International Auto Show?

ScionDriver
11-25-2008, 11:07 AM
I hope Chicago keeps most makers. I go to that show every year and I always look forward to it. It's also the largest (spatially) in North America so with so much room maybe they can take over the true international show for America. This is also sad for Detroit's economy, they have been hit so hard as it is with the auto industries troubles but now even something that stimulates local tourism like an auto show is dying.

mclaren_crazy
11-25-2008, 11:46 AM
man I have already paid for a weekend trip through my school program, hopefully its not a let down now

teatako
11-25-2008, 01:12 PM
European shows still seem to be going strong though.

Well at least so far.

The Frankfurt & Paris shows are in a whole different league.

Ferrer
11-25-2008, 02:38 PM
The Frankfurt & Paris shows are in a whole different league.
I'd add Geneva too.

zeppelin
11-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Hopefully this doesn't spread north of the border. Toronto's auto show has been improving almost exponentially year after year so far. With the GTA being Canada's biggest market for well, everything, perhaps our show will become more important on a large scale. I can only hope, as we've been getting record attendance numbers.

LeonOfTheDead
11-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Tokyo autoshow is a very good one too, too bad it's only every to years.

Kitdy
11-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Hopefully this doesn't spread north of the border. Toronto's auto show has been improving almost exponentially year after year so far. With the GTA being Canada's biggest market for well, everything, perhaps our show will become more important on a large scale. I can only hope, as we've been getting record attendance numbers.

I've been a couple times and it's good and I went to Detroit for the first time this year and it was fun but I think it's a shame it is dwindling but I guess Detroit doesn't have the market of LA or NY or even TO for that matter.

Drachen
11-26-2008, 08:57 PM
I'm not surprised that Nissan dropped out, considering they showed the new Z-car and the Cube in LA earlier this month.

Why lay out the kind of dough needed to participate in an auto show if you know you won't be getting any media coverage.

Besides, does anyone really want to be in Detroit in January?