PDA

View Full Version : what law students do when they get a day off

roosterjuicer
11-26-2008, 07:42 PM
thought I'd share what me and some law buddies did on our day off.

YouTube - PB260005.AVI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXKkLjfMQFY)

YouTube - PB260007.AVI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp5cL9BubBA)

Henk4...can you honestly say that doesn't look like fun?

coolieman1220
11-26-2008, 08:47 PM
why arn't you suing some poor bastard?

roosterjuicer
11-26-2008, 09:12 PM
haha. law student sir...just a student. not to mention, shooting is much more fun than lawyering

Turbo.Jenkens
11-26-2008, 10:11 PM
http://images.saimatkong.com/blog/christmas/zparc/chicken-wing.gif

lol

roosterjuicer
11-26-2008, 10:16 PM
what is that supposed to mean? it looks like a turd haha

f6fhellcat13
11-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Inventive names for your movies. ;)

roosterjuicer
11-26-2008, 10:25 PM
haha i was in a big hurry when i posted them, ive never used you tube before

Turbo.Jenkens
11-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Not meant to be an insult, just joking with you...... I'll let you figure it out

Turbo.Jenkens
11-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Looks like good fun, I'm getting together with some of my best friends Fri to shoot skeet. I'll bring along the AR too. 2 of my friends are marines, so hopefully I'll learn something.

For some reason I've gotten in the habit of posting in the car threads of the gun forums and visa versa.:confused:

roosterjuicer
11-26-2008, 10:37 PM
yeah we shot about 200 clays today. good fun. a buddy of mine who came is a captain in the marine corps and gave me a sling for the AR. then he started bragging a bit about how good of a shot he was with the AR...so i had to take him to school with the 12 gauge haha good times.

wwgkd
11-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Looks fun. Went shooting with my dad yesterday and today. Blew a ton of ammo and a good time was had by all. Yesterday here was a guy with a HK 416 that was pretty sweet. He was swat, so it was full auto with a sound supressor on it and some upgrades to the barrel. Today I took advantage of their rental program where you pay $7 to rent a caliber, and you can shoot any of their rental or used guns in that caliber. So I went for .45 acp and shot 2 Kimbers, a Nighthawk and a Custom Carry, a Para ordinance Warthog and 3 Glocks, a 21 and two little suckers, one single stack and one double. As well as shooting some of our own guns. Fun times.

clutch-monkey
11-27-2008, 01:33 AM
200 clays? lol that's a lot of ceramic flying around
i hate cleaning the bloody rifles after, probably why i use .22LR so much.

roosterjuicer
11-27-2008, 08:21 AM
yeah ive only cleaned the AR so far. luckily, my shotgun is a over/under so thats really easy to clean

my porsche
11-27-2008, 10:29 AM
You appear to be a terrible shot in the bowling pin video. :p

roosterjuicer
11-27-2008, 10:33 AM
haha i was thinking the same thing. i wasn't trying super hard, just havin fun screwing around...i still got em though!

clutch-monkey
11-27-2008, 02:57 PM
how long on average does it take you to clean a centrefire (non stainless barrel)? like my old .303 seems to take forever.

Turbo.Jenkens
11-27-2008, 08:32 PM
how long on average does it take you to clean a centrefire (non stainless barrel)? like my old .303 seems to take forever.

Forever. I'm certainly guilty of cleaning more than I need too. I usually throw an old towel over my coffee table, turn on the TV, and spend 30min-1hr thoroughly scrubbing and oiling every nook and cranny. Edit: for a bolt action more like 15 min.

On the opposite end of the spectrum I know a guy who puts his Glock in the dishwasher and uses mobile 1 synthetic (fresh;)) to oil his weapons.

whiteballz
11-27-2008, 08:36 PM
is that healthy for a gun?

Being in a dishwasher i mean

clutch-monkey
11-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Forever. I'm certainly guilty of cleaning more than I need too. I usually throw an old towel over my coffee table, turn on the TV, and spend 30min-1hr thoroughly scrubbing and oiling every nook and cranny. Edit: for a bolt action more like 15 min.

On the opposite end of the spectrum I know a guy who puts his Glock in the dishwasher and uses mobile 1 synthetic (fresh;)) to oil his weapons.
well my U/O shotgun takes 15-30 min max. but all my centrefires that aren't stainless steel seem to take forever to clean the barrels. the patches keep coming out blue/green for ages, although when i'm using the bore-safe solvent i just let the barrel soak overnight sometimes.
it just seems inordinate, and i imagine it would be worse if i was into benchrest.
also, fixed barrel air rifles - how the fudge do you clean those? i've not touched the barrel on that. maybe those foam cleaning pellets, who knows.

can't be worse than the glock test :D

Turbo.Jenkens
11-27-2008, 09:14 PM

I'd be more worried about eating off the dishes.

CamNismo
11-27-2008, 10:44 PM
looks fun...

wwgkd
11-27-2008, 11:27 PM
well my U/O shotgun takes 15-30 min max. but all my centrefires that aren't stainless steel seem to take forever to clean the barrels. the patches keep coming out blue/green for ages, although when i'm using the bore-safe solvent i just let the barrel soak overnight sometimes.
it just seems inordinate, and i imagine it would be worse if i was into benchrest.
also, fixed barrel air rifles - how the fudge do you clean those? i've not touched the barrel on that. maybe those foam cleaning pellets, who knows.

can't be worse than the glock test :D

Yeah, benchrest or serious target rifles tend to take a while. I recomend TJs method of cleaning, but I find it pretty relaxing so it's not really a chore. Just don't spill solvent on your homework, for some reason people have no sense of humor about that.

I've never actually cleaned an air rifle, but what about foaming bore cleaner?

clutch-monkey
11-28-2008, 04:11 AM
Yeah, benchrest or serious target rifles tend to take a while. I recomend TJs method of cleaning, but I find it pretty relaxing so it's not really a chore. Just don't spill solvent on your homework, for some reason people have no sense of humor about that.

I've never actually cleaned an air rifle, but what about foaming bore cleaner?

i think because i'm using barrel friendly solvent - might take longer. i dunno, don't want to risk the stronger stuff. just wanted to see how others fared

as for the air rifle, it's not how to clean it - it's how to access the barrel. if i clean from the muzzle the debris gets pushed into the action, and i can't clean from the breech because it's a fixed barrel air rifle :confused:

wwgkd
11-28-2008, 07:24 PM
i think because i'm using barrel friendly solvent - might take longer. i dunno, don't want to risk the stronger stuff. just wanted to see how others fared

as for the air rifle, it's not how to clean it - it's how to access the barrel. if i clean from the muzzle the debris gets pushed into the action, and i can't clean from the breech because it's a fixed barrel air rifle :confused:

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer for their advice?

clutch-monkey
11-28-2008, 07:28 PM
no, because they're spanish.

rallyswift75
11-28-2008, 07:35 PM
I wish I could shoot guns. The closest range is in the middle of a desert, but they do have a machine gun festival.

wwgkd
11-28-2008, 07:48 PM
I wish I could shoot guns. The closest range is in the middle of a desert, but they do have a machine gun festival.

California is kind of rough for that. Part of why I decided to go to UI.

roosterjuicer
11-28-2008, 08:13 PM
big part of why i decided to go to nebraska

rallyswift75
11-29-2008, 03:41 PM
California has all the fun stuff banned. No .50 cal sniper, no fully automatic weapons, no magazines more that 10 rounds, no suppressors , and no Desert Eagle .50AE.

LotusLocost
11-29-2008, 08:32 PM
California is kind of rough for that. Part of why I decided to go to UI.

big part of why i decided to go to nebraska

Maybe I am to drunk to see the pictuer..

But are you guys seriously deciding university on the amount of gunpower you can fire in the state/place/city you want to study in??

roosterjuicer
11-29-2008, 08:41 PM
well for me i was going to a mediocre school in california (cal state univ, chico) and I was getting really good grades so i wanted to transfer. I was pretty big into hunting/shooting/ect... so i knew right away i didn't want to stay in california anymore so then i made a list of schools that interested me academically and then checked out the hunting opportunities...

there's a lot more to college life than just studies. there are good schools all over the country, almost every state has a really good school of one kind or another so might as well tailor your choice of school to your personal wants/needs

LotusLocost
11-29-2008, 08:49 PM
well for me i was going to a mediocre school in california (cal state univ, chico) and I was getting really good grades so i wanted to transfer. I was pretty big into hunting/shooting/ect... so i knew right away i didn't want to stay in california anymore so then i made a list of schools that interested me academically and then checked out the hunting opportunities...

there's a lot more to college life than just studies. there are good schools all over the country, almost every state has a really good school of one kind or another so might as well tailor your choice of school to your personal wants/needs

That's ****ed up..

roosterjuicer
11-29-2008, 09:25 PM
That's ****ed up..

what is ****ed up?

wwgkd
11-29-2008, 09:26 PM
That's ****ed up..

Why? I was the same way. I'm not skipping out on a good educaton, I'm just going some place I respect and can enjoy. I hated california for a lot of reasons, but had to live there for a few years with my grandmother to help take care of her. Once that waasn't a concern, why go to some place like berkley where I'd stick out like a sore thumb? Where I'm going now has one of the best engineering programs in the country (undergrad anyways,) costs less, I'm surrounded by people I get along with and I love the countryside. Why not choose where you live while you get a great education?

LotusLocost
11-29-2008, 09:32 PM
what is ****ed up?

If you didn't choose it on the purpose of what gun you could shoot there it would be all fine for me..

Why? I was the same way. I'm not skipping out on a good educaton, I'm just going some place I respect and can enjoy. I hated california for a lot of reasons, but had to live there for a few years with my grandmother to help take care of her. Once that waasn't a concern, why go to some place like berkley where I'd stick out like a sore thumb? Where I'm going now has one of the best engineering programs in the country (undergrad anyways,) costs less, I'm surrounded by people I get along with and I love the countryside. Why not choose where you live while you get a great education?

If that was the reason, I wouldn't comment it, but you said that one of the main reasons was that you could shoot whatever gun you wanted.

wwgkd
11-29-2008, 09:54 PM
If you didn't choose it on the purpose of what gun you could shoot there it would be all fine for me..

If that was the reason, I wouldn't comment it, but you said that one of the main reasons was that you could shoot whatever gun you wanted.

Win-win baby. :D

roosterjuicer
11-29-2008, 09:55 PM

I dont see what the big deal is. Guns and hunting are important to me, all other things being equal, recreational stuff that you enjoy are pretty important things when making a decision on where to live for 4 or more years of your life. I know it seems like a silly thing to care about to you up there in your tower and stuff but I'm sure some things you care about seem silly to me too, everyone is entitled to maintain their own beliefs on what is important to them or not.

Im pretty happy with my decision. I went looking for a place with great hunting to go to school, I ended up falling in love with the place and I now own a home here and plan to raise my family here.

henk4
11-30-2008, 01:59 AM
do law schools in the USA teach you anything about the values of life and how to waste it?

wwgkd
11-30-2008, 02:50 AM
do law schools in the USA teach you anything about the values of life and how to waste it?

Well, I'm assuming that he's going to the Chuck Norris School of Law, and is therefore taught that a living body is really just a sophisticated moving target. As such it would be wasting that life to not shoot/roundhouse it to the face.

But I avoid our law school, so I may have to let rooster field that one.

roosterjuicer
11-30-2008, 07:53 AM

they try make us earn an education that keeps us grounded in reality, you know, something we can take to the "real world" (ever heard of it?).

Turbo.Jenkens
11-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Question for our law student:
In a hypothetical home invasion attempt, imagine the perpetrate is wounded, but manages to escape. How legally vulnerable to a lawsuit would the home owner be? In the previous thread 2 people mentioned using bladed weapons for home defense. Would these weapons, which are more likely to merely wound, leave the home owner more susceptible to a lawsuit? Also, If a wounded assailant is attempting to escape; would putting a bullet/knife in their back be considered murder in a US court?

Thanks in advanced

Doesn't answer your question, but I timed myself.
..........................Strip&clean...Clean Barrel...Oil and reassemble...total
M4 style carbine.....23min..........17 min..........10 min...................50 min
AUG style carbine....11 min.........34 min..........6 min....................51 min

I am somewhat baffled by the difference in barrel times. Both are chrome lined 16" and the AUG barrel is easily detachable, so it seems easier to clean. My best guess is: after I used Powder Blast on the receiver and bolt carrier group of the AR15, I shot some down the barrel while cleaning the chamber. Since the AUGs barrel detaches I cleaned the chamber separately. I can attribute the speedier cleaning of the receiver to the AUGs cleaner gas piston and relative lack of nooks & crannys.

I wasn't trying to go fast, just doing the most thorough job possible at a relaxed pace while watching a concert DVD. I'm not surprised if anyone could accomplish the same task in 1/3 the time when they were in the service. If I were cleaning Gov't owned firearms with a Gunny wearing a smoky breathing down my back I could too.

clutch-monkey
11-30-2008, 03:34 PM
thanks TJ, might try a different solvent next time, 34 minutes seems about right for me sometimes.

i didn't go to james cook university, because there are no circuits up there :confused:

roosterjuicer
11-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Question for our law student:
In a hypothetical home invasion attempt, imagine the perpetrate is wounded, but manages to escape. How legally vulnerable to a lawsuit would the home owner be? In the previous thread 2 people mentioned using bladed weapons for home defense. Would these weapons, which are more likely to merely wound, leave the home owner more susceptible to a lawsuit? Also, If a wounded assailant is attempting to escape; would putting a bullet/knife in their back be considered murder in a US court?

Disclaimer:i am a first semester law student. nobody should listen to, read, or follow anything I say.

To be honest with you, I haven't studied criminal law much so I cant tell you much on the criminal end so everything I will be talking about will be in Tort.

First of all, it depends on your jurisdiction, every state has different rules. somebody might not be held liable for something here in Nebraska that they would be held liable for in the PRC (peoples republic of california). so I'll be talking mostly about the common law.

In tort you are allowed to use reasonable proportionate force to prevent an imminent or reasonably apparent invasion of your person or property. (obviously, there is a lot of grey area and room for argument there which is why lawyers get so much $$).

so when you talk about someone breaking into my home and leaving wounded the key to liability there kind of depends on the circumstances. but generally speaking, if you use reasonable proportionate force your not going to get in trouble for hurting someone breaking into your house. also, if a reasonably prudent person under the circumstances would be fearful for their life/safety/families' life/safety you have a lot more leeway as far as what you can get away with defending your property/self.

if the guy is a 12 year old kid and you blow a 12gauge hole in the back of his head...your probably gonna be paying some damages. if the guy is an adult and armed and you challenge him (yell stop, freeze, ect) and he makes a move toward you, your probably alright shooting him. but obviously there is a big grey area in between.

also, in general, if you are in your house you have more leeway then if you are out in public.

as far as using a bladed weapon as opposed to a firearm i think it ties in with the whole "proportionate force" thing. whether you stab that 12 year old kid in the back or shoot him in the back...your screwed either way. as far as the armed adult goes, there's probably not much of a difference. but in the in between area they might be...but my gut is telling me probably not. I honestly havent learned enough about it to give you a great answer on the whole bladed weapon vs firearm when defending your home.

If the assailant is trying to escape and you shoot him or stab him you are definitely going to be held liable because when it is clear (to a reasonably prudent person under the circumstances) that the guy is running away you are no longer defending yourself from an imminent threat so you no longer have the privilege of using force against another.

clear as mud?

wwgkd
11-30-2008, 09:51 PM
To add to that a cynical point of view (I follow these cases quite a bit although I'm not an expert,) it also depends on the lawyers. There was a man breaking into a house who tripped and hurt himself and then sued the homeowner, and won. Sad but true.

Also, just to make things even more confusing, there was a case where a man came home to see a robber going out the window with his TV. He pulled him back in, trying to save his TV, started losing the fight, then pulled his gun and shot the guy in what was, by then, self defense. But if he hadn't pulled him back in and started the fight he never would have had to shoot him when he started losing.