PDA

View Full Version : Best American Mass Market Car (2008)

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 02:52 AM
Vote for the best American mass market car.

wwgkd
12-02-2008, 03:57 AM
I'd think the Mustang GT goes here. It's over 300hp, but it's not exactly a super car, right? Same goes for the Camaro.

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 04:00 AM
I'd think the Mustang GT goes here. It's over 300hp, but it's not exactly a super car, right? Same goes for the Camaro.
It's exactly on the limit I set, so technically it could go in both :)

It's best suited here though. It isn't a supercar, you're right, nor a high-end car.

Bleeding Heart
12-02-2008, 05:25 AM
I'll go for the Ford Mustang GT...

blingbling
12-02-2008, 05:32 AM
best for what? overall? then in that case its going to be hard

if it is just dry condition performance then yeah there are tonnes of pony car variations to choose from.

wwgkd
12-02-2008, 05:43 AM
best for what? overall? then in that case its going to be hard

if it is just dry condition performance then yeah there are tonnes of pony car variations to choose from.

I think it's just whichever one you want the most. Unless you're a masochist, that's the car you consider best for what you do or want to do.

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 05:48 AM
I think it's just whichever one you want the most. Unless you're a masochist, that's the car you consider best for what you do or want to do.
Bingo.

Kitdy
12-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Well, the press seems to think that the Chevrolet Malibu and Cadillac CTS are both quite good cars - I am not overly versed in either and not an expert in mass market cars but I shall nominate them as I think overlooking them would not be appropriate. The CTS has 300+ hp but I conferred with one of the demigods (mods that is - it was Lt. Lulz's alternate personality) and he deemed that it was mass market so I have holy communion of whatever.

Let's not overlook the Challenger which I think should be considered. I shall also nominate the Pontiac G8. That is all I can think of for now.

So: G8
Challenger
CTS
Malibu

jump15vc
12-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Camaro

Mr-Supercar
12-02-2008, 08:14 AM
mustang is a great car but the dodge viper acr is better this year after all it has the fastest lap time on nuremberg.

ruim20
12-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Cadillac CTS

blingbling
12-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Bingo.oh well in that case i'll take the most expensive one and sell it

ahhh im just being a lawyer-style buzzkill now.

henk4
mustang is a great car but the dodge viper acr is better this year after all it has the fastest lap time on nuremberg.
that is being nominated under a different category.....(and btw the Nuerburgring is completely different from the city of Nuernberg (or Neuremberg...)

jump15vc

The Viper ACR has been nominated in the supercar thread im sure no one can consider it mass market by any stretch of chrysler's imagination,

Rockefella
12-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Dodge Challenger

Ferrer
12-02-2008, 12:39 PM
More controversy...

Chevy Volt?

Rockefella
12-02-2008, 12:41 PM
More controversy...

Chevy Volt?

This may be better suited in the concept category. I'll let David make the final decision.. he's taking the forefront for (S)COTY.

Sledgehammer
12-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Chevy Colbalt SS. From everything that I have read, it is an excellent car.

wwgkd
12-02-2008, 12:46 PM

No kidding. That lap it turned for Car and Driver was great. I'd have preferred that the Neon SRT4 had stayed alive, but ths works.

Ferrer
12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
This may be better suited in the concept category. I'll let David make the final decision.. he's taking the forefront for (S)COTY.
Well wasn't the production version presented some weeks ago?

Dino Scuderia
12-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Well wasn't the production version presented some weeks ago?

The Volt is a marketing gimmick to help pull GM's arse out of the fire...make them look like they're in the game. If the Volt was a production car it'd be on the showroom floor right now.

baddabang
12-02-2008, 01:25 PM

True but there are not that many compared to the Cobalt XFE which is selling well. So is the new Malibu.

BTW no lift shift ftw.

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 02:45 PM
More controversy...

Chevy Volt?
Well okay. So far it is only a concept, and it IS intended for production, so according to my own rules it is eligible.

It's a bit of a stretch though as its going to enter production in 2011. But fine, Albert "Loophole" Ferrer ;)

digitalcraft
12-02-2008, 03:10 PM
So what counts as American? Do Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, Scion count?

If those don't because they were owned by JP companies, does Mazda count since until very recently it was controlled by Ford and made the American cars in the U.S., even sharing chassis and engines with Fords?

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 03:16 PM
So what counts as American? Do Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, Scion count?

If those don't because they were owned by JP companies, does Mazda count since until very recently it was controlled by Ford and made the American cars in the U.S., even sharing chassis and engines with Fords?
Let's not make it overly complicated shall we.

I'd say Acura/Lexus/Infiniti and Scion count as American brands.

Mazda remains Japanese.

Ferrer
12-02-2008, 03:17 PM
I'd say Acura/Lexus/Infiniti and Scion count as American brands.
They are japanese owned with japanese engineering and in some cases with japanese production.

I'd say that despite the fact some are eminently US-focused, doesn't make them American.

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 03:18 PM
They are japanese owned with japanese engineering and in some cases with japanese production.

I'd say that despite the fact some are eminently US-focused, doesn't make them American.
Try to find an Acura in Japan.

Ferrer
12-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Try to find an Acura in Japan.
You can. For instance it's called Honda Accord.

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 03:22 PM
You can. For instance it's called Honda Accord.
Oh god, you really wanted to make my life a misery today huh? :rolleyes:

I think you haven't quite grasped the fact I am sorting out manufacturers according to their badges, I ruled Acura as American and Honda as Japanese. It doesn't matter if the car is produced in various markets with a different badge. For example, Opel/Vauxhall Astra = European, Saturn Astra = American. It may be entirely European, but it is sold in America, and branded as an American brand.

I'm just trying to avoid loopholes, and you seem quite incline to find all of them. :(

henk4
12-02-2008, 03:23 PM

I think you haven't quite grasped the fact I am sorting out manufacturers according to their badges, I ruled Acura as American and Honda as Japanese. It doesn't matter if the car is produced in various markets with a different badge. For example, Opel/Vauxhall Astra = European, Saturn Astra = American. It may be entirely European, but it is sold in America, and branded as an American brand.

I'm just trying to avoid loopholes, and you seem quite incline to find all of them. :(
Shall I PM Damian that we need a thread for the most obnoxious member of 2008?

Rockefella
12-02-2008, 03:27 PM

They call me Captain Cquick.

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Haha :p

Monaro will win that...

Ferrer
12-02-2008, 03:30 PM

Do what you want (and I'm thankful you take the time to organise the whole awards thing). But Lexus is being sold worldwide and Infiniti is starting to expand as well. On that basis we could consider them European.

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Do what you want (and I'm thankful you take the time to organise the whole awards thing). But Lexus is being sold worldwide and Infiniti is starting to expand as well. On that basis we could consider them European.
Right. Toyota was incorporated in Japan first, right? They expanded a lot over the years and now they have factories everywhere on the globe. They are still a Japanese company though. It doesn't make them Japamerieurocan because they are a worlwide corporation.

Lexus, Infiniti, Acura and Scion all share the same thing in common: they were first launched in the US. That makes them American brands.

digitalcraft
12-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Ferrer might make a good beta tester.

Oh here's another question. Where do cars like the Ford Focus (the real one) belong? Its only available in Europe but from a U.S. company.

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Ferrer might make a good beta tester.

Oh here's another question. Where do cars like the Ford Focus (the real one) belong? Its only available in Europe but from a U.S. company.
In this case that's an exception. It's designed by the Ford Europe subsidiary of Ford, and sold in Europe.

f6fhellcat13
12-02-2008, 05:50 PM
CTS (or is that too pricey?)
G8

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 06:03 PM
Cobalt SS Turbo.

Not biased. At all.

cmcpokey
12-02-2008, 06:05 PM
lame...

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 06:07 PM
lame...
Indeed.

I admit I quite like the Malibu though.

kingofthering
12-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Pontiac G...oh wait, that's Australian....

Well, the Chevrolet Cobalt SS hasn't disappointed anyone yet.

Spastik_Roach
12-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Dodge Challenger

zeppelin
12-02-2008, 08:06 PM
So far I'm thinking either the Chevrolet Cobalt SS, or the Saturn Astra. I'm leaning Saturn though, because as a brand, talk about a great turnaround.

roosterjuicer
12-02-2008, 08:16 PM
GMC acadia

70cuda88
12-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Cobalt SS

Kitdy
12-03-2008, 01:11 AM
Acura is American? The world is ending.

Ferrer
12-03-2008, 04:25 AM
So far I'm thinking either the Chevrolet Cobalt SS, or the Saturn Astra. I'm leaning Saturn though, because as a brand, talk about a great turnaround.
You can't nominate a 4 year old Opel.

You just can't. Go for the turbocharged car.

fisetdavid26
12-03-2008, 06:07 AM
Acura is American? The world is ending.
Why? When is the last time you have seen an Acura somewhere else than in North America? It recently entered the Chinese and Hong Kong markets, 20 years after selling cars exclusively in North America. They haven't even entered the Japanese market yet.

Kitdy
12-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Why? When is the last time you have seen an Acura somewhere else than in North America? It recently entered the Chinese and Hong Kong markets, 20 years after selling cars exclusively in North America. They haven't even entered the Japanese market yet.

Well, Acura is headquartered in Tokyo, the chassis are Japanese as far as I know, the engines are Japanese designs, the cars are designed in Tokyo I'd imagine, the parent company is Japanese. They are just built in America. The BMW X6 is built in America but is it an American car? I don't think so. If Acuras are designed in the States, then maybe, but I don't believe that they are.

Quiggs
12-03-2008, 10:15 AM

The Astra has been a sales figure failure.

roosterjuicer
12-03-2008, 12:16 PM
yeah the aura has done ok, the astra has done assy

NSXType-R
12-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Nothing!

Nah, just kidding.

Maybe the Chevy Malibu.

f6fhellcat13
12-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Well, Acura is headquartered in Tokyo, the chassis are Japanese as far as I know, the engines are Japanese designs, the cars are designed in Tokyo I'd imagine, the parent company is Japanese. They are just built in America. The BMW X6 is built in America but is it an American car? I don't think so. If Acuras are designed in the States, then maybe, but I don't believe that they are.
Thank God. :p
I agree with Kitdy that Acura is Japanese, there is too much Japanese hardware in them not to be.