PDA

View Full Version : Thread of the Year (2008)

Rockefella
12-02-2008, 03:01 PM
UltimateCarPage.com must have had over 1,000 threads this year, but who's counting? Out of those, which thread wins the 2008 lottery?

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 04:59 PM
VWs are gay.

cmcpokey
12-02-2008, 05:05 PM
seconded.

coolieman1220
12-02-2008, 05:12 PM
which vw gay thread? we have like 3

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 05:13 PM
which vw gay thread? we have like 3
The one I renamed from "Maseratis are gay" to pwn Quiggs.

coolieman1220
12-02-2008, 05:17 PM
The one I renamed from "Maseratis are gay" to pwn Quiggs.

lols got my vote!

wwgkd
12-02-2008, 05:42 PM
Well, for something different there was just a thread that got 130 or so replies in just a few hours. Any idea which one that was?

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Well, for something different there was just a thread that got 130 or so replies in just a few hours. Any idea which one that was?
This? http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/car-comparison/37997-pontiac-g8-gt-mitsubishi-lancer-evolution-x.html

cmcpokey
12-02-2008, 05:55 PM
thats a sunday after thankgiving post though. some of the heaviest traffic of the year on that day.

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 05:56 PM
thats a sunday after thankgiving post though. some of the heaviest traffic of the year on that day.
Today is active as hell as well.

cmcpokey
12-02-2008, 05:57 PM
its rather crazy... i need to do homework, and i will once i get a new posts screen to come up with nothing new.

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 05:58 PM
its rather crazy... i need to do homework, and i will once i get a new posts screen to come up with nothing new.
I hope you plan to go to bed late!

cmcpokey
12-02-2008, 05:58 PM
paper due on thursday... im less than half done. there will be some late nights

wwgkd
12-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Oh, I was looking right at it and missed it. Yeah, I'll nominate that just because quantity has a quality all of it's own.

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 05:59 PM
paper due on thursday... im less than half done. there will be some late nights
Good, that's how I always rolled.

Shenanigans right until I have one or two day left. Then panic.

It's more exciting.

cmcpokey
12-02-2008, 06:00 PM
it got me through undergrad. masters shouldnt be that much different.... right?

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 06:01 PM
it got me through undergrad. masters shouldnt be that much different.... right?
Yeah I suppose.

Maybe. :p

wwgkd
12-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Good, that's how I always rolled.

Shenanigans right until I have one or two day left. Then panic.

It's more exciting.

I find I actually work better that way. Desperation inspiration.

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 06:10 PM
I find I actually work better that way. Desperation inspiration.
True. I've always managed good grades working that way.

Much to the despair of my parents.

f6fhellcat13
12-02-2008, 06:31 PM
All 6 million of the threads dedicated to that video of the tuned Imperza (or was it an Evo?)

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 06:33 PM
All 6 million of the threads dedicated to that video of the tuned Imperza (or was it an Evo?)
Ken Block's STI?

(no pun intended)

f6fhellcat13
12-02-2008, 06:34 PM
That's the one.

Spastik_Roach
12-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Drakkie's thread about his super high powered Alto, the fail it contains, and the ultimate pwn and win that result from the ownage.

whiteballz
12-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Does it have to be made in 2008? or just active?

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Does it have to be made in 2008? or just active?
There are no strict rules... submit one and we'll see.

whiteballz
12-02-2008, 08:38 PM
I'd suggest the gallah thread - its one of the longest continually active threads...

And more international involvement has occured this year.

fisetdavid26
12-02-2008, 09:04 PM
I'd suggest the gallah thread - its one of the longest continually active threads...

And more international involvement has occured this year.
I'll see what Rocke thinks.

Cyco
12-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Hello (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/miscellaneous/36196-hello.html)

f6fhellcat13
12-02-2008, 11:59 PM
I take back whatever I nominated before and second this.

Spastik_Roach
12-03-2008, 12:07 AM
ditto

IBrake4Rainbows
12-03-2008, 04:36 AM
Nominated for Quality as well as quantity of posts in a very short space of time, I see.

henk4
12-03-2008, 04:43 AM

this is the sort of thread that makes me wonder what I am actually doing here.

IBrake4Rainbows
12-03-2008, 04:49 AM
Where else would you go?

henk4
12-03-2008, 04:51 AM
Where else would you go?

to car related forums where mods get rid of the irrelevant stuff immediately.....

IBrake4Rainbows
12-03-2008, 04:52 AM
Thus why there is a Miscellaneous Forum.

You take the internets far too seriously.

Ferrer
12-03-2008, 04:54 AM
to car related forums where mods get rid of the irrelevant stuff immediately.....
Don't enter those threads, if you aren't interested. That's what I do.

henk4
12-03-2008, 04:55 AM

You take the internets far too seriously.
if this nonsense gets elected as thread of the year I am out of here. I would consider that a disgrace.

henk4
12-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Don't enter those threads, if you aren't interested. That's what I do.
I actually never saw it before, and judging from the number of posts from people on my ignore list, rightly so. But nominating this as thread of the year.....

IBrake4Rainbows
12-03-2008, 04:57 AM
I will hold you to such a claim.

mostly because I've no doubt you will do it.

For someone so well versed in it, you have trouble interpreting sarcasm & good humour sometimes.

Ferrer
12-03-2008, 04:59 AM
I actually never saw it before, and judging from the number of posts from people on my ignore list, rightly so. But nominating this as thread of the year.....
Well try to ignore the bad things of this forum and enjoy the good ones, of which there are a lot. That'd be my advice.

You'd be a big loss to this forum.

henk4
12-03-2008, 04:59 AM
I will hold you to such a claim.

mostly because I've no doubt you will do it.

For someone so well versed in it, you have trouble interpreting sarcasm & good humour sometimes.

I failed to detect such elements there. Guilty.

Kitdy
12-03-2008, 05:05 AM
As serious as I've become since I graduated high school there is pretty much always a time for silliness and irreverence and UCP on average seems to have a decent level of it. Every once in a while there's a thread that pretty much is concentrated madness and why is that so bad? Is it against the UCP rules? Not if I recall. I don't see Wouter taking action or instructing the Mods to so it's all good I think.

EDIT: What do you think thread of the year is henk? You can nominate something.

Anyway, I think people are gonna chose a thread they thought was fun for thread of the year. Maybe not your kind of fun or mine, but many people enjoy the madness in threads like that.

henk4
12-03-2008, 05:11 AM
As serious as I've become since I graduated high school there is pretty much always a time for silliness and irreverence and UCP on average seems to have a decent level of it. Every once in a while there's a thread that pretty much is concentrated madness and why is that so bad? Is it against the UCP rules? Not if I recall. I don't see Wouter taking action or instructing the Mods to so it's all good I think.

People may do what they want. I think last year we selected the thread on the Lotus Elan as the thread of the year which is a worthy representation of what some people here are trying to achieve. This current nomination is a slap in the face.

Kitdy
12-03-2008, 05:19 AM
No it was some What bashing last year. (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/awards/35700-ucp-awards-2007-best-thread-voting.html)

The 4 threads nominated all had huge conflict and drama - that is why they were chosen; they were memorable, and they were wars.

IBrake4Rainbows
12-03-2008, 05:21 AM
The winner descended into Cat posts last year.

Sorry to disappoint......

henk4
12-03-2008, 05:22 AM
No it was some What bashing last year. (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/awards/35700-ucp-awards-2007-best-thread-voting.html)

The 4 threads nominated all had huge conflict and drama - that is why they were chosen; they were memorable, and they were wars.

the Elan must have been a year earlier then....and any of those threads for last year are infinitely better than this "hello" nonsense.
EDIT (apart from this chop thread, but no surprises here that is an area of the forum that I have always managed to avoid visiting) I don't see my name on the voting list either, so I might have been traveling or, otherwise I would have certainly come up with similar remarks as I do now.

Kitdy
12-03-2008, 05:23 AM
Look at 2006. (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/awards/30481-ucp-awards-2006-post-thread-year-voting.html)

So you got the Elan thread and the rest are goofball I think.

fisetdavid26
12-03-2008, 05:56 AM
if this nonsense gets elected as thread of the year I am out of here. I would consider that a disgrace.
It would be very, very childish of you.

Not the attitude a man who is about to turn 60 should have. There are 35,257 threads on this forum. If you are not pleased by one, ignore it. The end.

henk4
12-03-2008, 06:02 AM
It would be very, very childish of you.

Not the attitude a man who is about to turn 60 should have. There are 35,257 threads on this forum. If you are not pleased by one, ignore it. The end.

You miss the point. This thread in itself is harmless, and as you said I ignored it, actually I had never seen it before. But, if this thread gets selected as the thread of 2008, as the prime example of what goes on on the UCP forums, then I don't want to be part of a group of people that makes such a choice. I don't think I can tell it in a clearer way.

fisetdavid26
12-03-2008, 06:04 AM
You miss the point. This thread in itself is harmless, and as you said I ignored it, actually I had never seen it before. But, if this thread gets selected as the thread of 2008, as the prime example of what goes on on the UCP forums, then I don't want to be part of a group of people that makes such a choice. I don't think I can tell it in a clearer way.
Don't vote for it then. This is a democracy. I hate the people in power in Canada right now, I didn't vote for them, and they still run the country, and dear god do I don't want to be associated with them.

But democracy made them win and I have to live with it. Sorry, it's the way things are run.

henk4
12-03-2008, 06:17 AM
I hate the people in power in Canada right now, I didn't vote for them, and they still run the country, and dear god do I don't want to be associated with them.

But democracy made them win and I have to live with it. Sorry, it's the way things are run.

like so many analogies, flawed....

fisetdavid26
12-03-2008, 06:18 AM
like so many analogies, flawed....
Explain.

henk4
12-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Explain.
no, you do the thinking this time.

btw I nominate the Driver's Republic thread on the GT2 and the GTR.

IBrake4Rainbows
12-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Sour grapes much.....

As a nomination, I'll have to put Zytek_Fan's Car Search Continues (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/user-s-rides/36355-zytek_fan-s-car-search-continues.html)

For equal amounts Epic Adventure & Fail.

fisetdavid26
12-03-2008, 06:27 AM
no, you do the thinking this time.

btw I nominate the Driver's Republic thread on the GT2 and the GTR.
Okay. I went out and voted for the party I wanted to win, but in the end the party I despise won. Consider that I nominated something and voted for it here, but something else won.

Same thing. It may not be a perfect analogy but I have yet to find something in this world that isn't relatively flawed in some way.

henk4
12-03-2008, 06:44 AM
Okay. I went out and voted for the party I wanted to win, but in the end the party I despise won. Consider that I nominated something and voted for it here, but something else won.

Same thing. It may not be a perfect analogy but I have yet to find something in this world that isn't relatively flawed in some way.

if you want to make a comparison with politics, the correct analogy would have been that you (voluntarily) joined a political party, but at some moment in time this party would either be represented by somebody you don't like (but selected by a majority), or would promote points of view (again supported by the majority of the party members) that you don't like and that you therefore no longer feel represented by that party and subsequently give up your membership. If you care about politics, you would probably find more to your interest in another party. If you don't care about politics any more you stop being active in this area. Here there are what we call alterntive options, in your analogy there are not.

Quiggs
12-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Hello (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/miscellaneous/36196-hello.html)This!!!

You take the internets far too seriously.This.

if this nonsense gets elected as thread of the year I am out of here. I would consider that a disgrace.Peace out.

Kitdy
12-03-2008, 08:51 AM
Leaving for people that vote that thread of the year seems silly. Leaving because the people piss you off otherwise makes sense.

wwgkd
12-04-2008, 09:58 PM
The Flaming Chariot of Ra vs. Nissan GTR

For recapping the year with such epicness and lullz

LeonOfTheDead
12-05-2008, 02:58 AM
I'm going to fight for some honor voting myself and the huge quantity of work it required me:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/events/36521-mille-miglia-storica-modena-2008-a.html

Ferrer
12-05-2008, 04:18 AM
I'm going to fight for some honor voting myself and the huge quantity of work it required me:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/events/36521-mille-miglia-storica-modena-2008-a.html
Yep, that was brilliant.

fisetdavid26
12-05-2008, 04:40 AM
Actually I shall use my dictator powers to rule this thread the only one eligible.

Kitdy
12-05-2008, 08:44 AM
The Flaming Chariot of Ra vs. Nissan GTR

For recapping the year with such epicness and lullz

Good call.

henk4
12-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Good call.
do you really think so? Grow up please...
Good threads have added value for the serious UCP forum visitor. Jokes are nice but not what should be seen as representative for UCP.

Ferrer
12-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Good threads have added value for the serious UCP forum visitor. Jokes are nice but not what should be seen as representative for UCP.
And it wasn't even particularly funny in my opinion.

Kitdy
12-05-2008, 09:23 AM
In all honesty, it probably isn't the best of the year but I think it's a good summary of a lot of this year on UCP - that being the GT-R vs everything and that is part of why it can have a nomination.

Why do you limit good threads to being those that add value to the "serious UCP forum visitor"? Why does the serious contributor deserve a special class above that of the non-serious?

My favourite threads are like yours actually - the ones with good debate and information.

Telling me to grow up? We need more of that behaviour on UCP - people like hostility and being looked down on I hear.

Insults and pettyness "are nice but not what should be seen as representative for UCP."

roosterjuicer
12-05-2008, 01:45 PM
kennyknoxville-"is there any way to accurately smell your own breath"

Rockefella
12-05-2008, 03:51 PM
As henk has brought up, I think it would be good for the Best Thread award to go to a deserving automotive thread. The lulz stuff can go to humiliation or something.

Kooper
12-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Just a suggestion to ponder:

I think as long as the thread in question is about a car, it's good.

Imagine if Topgear didn't include funny stuff in their show every once in a while. Would it have been as successful? No methinks.

LeonOfTheDead
12-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Just a suggestion to ponder:

I think as long as the thread in question is about a car, it's good.

Imagine if Topgear didn't include funny stuff in their show every once in a while. Would it have been as successful? No methinks.

that's exactly the reason why I don't watch TG since quite some time. it's just a show with cars, not a cars' show.

Kooper
12-05-2008, 04:36 PM
that's exactly the reason why I don't watch TG since quite some time. it's just a show with cars, not a cars' show.

Point taken.

I think it would be a bit of a stretch to not include a particular thread just because it contained some entertaining bits to go along with the car discussions and/ or presentations.

Any which way is fine though.

On that note, I'll nominate either one of these Hi-Res hideout threads:

Mazda Furai (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/matt-s-hi-res-hide-out/35337-mazda-furai-concept.html?highlight=2009)
Ferrari California (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/matt-s-hi-res-hide-out/36400-ferrari-california.html?highlight=2009)

Both have loads of technical detail, stunning pics, opinions galore, differing points of view and even some funny comments.

Actually any thread from the Hi-Res Hideout or any other thread containing technical info, pics and anything else would be fine by me.

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered the Racing Forums. Not much pics, but still excellent content. I'll withdraw my nominations as I can't single out any particular thread I enjoyed more than another one.

Rockefella
12-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Point taken.

I think it would be a bit of a stretch to not include a particular thread just because it contained some entertaining bits to go along with the car discussions and/ or presentations.

Mazda Furai (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/matt-s-hi-res-hide-out/35337-mazda-furai-concept.html?highlight=2009)
Ferrari California (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/matt-s-hi-res-hide-out/36400-ferrari-california.html?highlight=2009)

Both have loads of technical detail, stunning pics, opinions galore, differing points of view and even some funny comments.

Actually any thread from the Hi-Res Hideout or any other thread containing technical info, pics and anything else would be fine by me.

I agree. I would happily take one of those over something like 'how to accurately smell your own breath' as the best thread of the year.

LeonOfTheDead
12-05-2008, 04:47 PM
Point taken.

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered the Racing Forums. Not much pics, but still excellent content. I'll withdraw my nominations as I can't single out any particular thread I enjoyed more than another one.

so, the "thread of the year (2008)" title goes to...UCP forum itself!!!:D

Kooper
12-05-2008, 04:50 PM
so, the "thread of the year (2008)" title goes to...UCP forum itself!!!:D

Yeah, I kind of made no point in that particular post with the addendum at the bottom :o

I just can't help myself, I just enjoy the whole darn site. But to justify me posting in this thread I'll re-nominate one of my nominations:

henk4
12-06-2008, 01:12 AM
As henk has brought up, I think it would be good for the Best Thread award to go to a deserving automotive thread. The lulz stuff can go to humiliation or something.
I haven't yet made a nomination for favourite moderator;)
This is a good proposal. If the "hello" thread goes the "lulz section" I will be happy.

wwgkd
12-06-2008, 02:11 AM

Well, I think it was a joke, but did have some seriousness to it. Of this years car magazines, that was a major theme for quite a bit of the year. This was a way to put that into perspective. Sarcasm and humor aren't necessarily childish, they can often be a fun way of making your (serious) opinion known.

Honestly, if it weren't for the jokes a car forum would resemble an engineering handbook.

henk4
12-06-2008, 03:53 AM
Honestly, if it weren't for the jokes a car forum would resemble an engineering handbook.

one more time then. I have nothing against joke threads, but to nominate them as thread of the year is a joke in itself.

LeonOfTheDead
12-06-2008, 08:26 AM

I wouldn't mind (almost ;))