PDA

View Full Version : BMW Z4 (E89) 2009-2016

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 05:11 AM
THE NEW BMW Z4 ROADSTER

• First BMW Roadster with a retractable hardtop. The new model is the successor to both the BMW Z4 Roadster and the BMW Z4 Coupe. Two-piece electrohydraulically retractable hardtop in lightweight aluminum shell construction. The hardtop opens and closes fully automatically in each case within 20 seconds; the roof elements coming to rest in the roof compartment to give the car a low-slung rear-end design reflecting the traditional proportions of a roadster as well as a large luggage compartment. The high-quality interior lining finished in an extra-light color as well as large windows including the heated glass window at the rear ensure an exclusive ambience and optimized all-round visibility.

• Long hood, large wheel arches, long wheelbase and small overhangs.

• Head and elbow room as well as the degree of comfort in entering the car have been significantly enhanced over the former model. The low seating position near the rear axle guarantees the driving experience typical of a BMW Roadster. High-quality materials, first-class quality of finish and driver-oriented design of both the instrument panel and the center console guarantee an emotional driving experience in a particularly refined ambience.

• Wide range of storage options within the passenger compartment including a spacious crosswise storage compartment behind the seats.

• First use of the BMW iDrive control system in the BMW Roadster. In conjunction with the optional navigation system the new generation of BMW iDrive comprises an ergonomically optimized Controller for the selection and control of functions by turning, pressing and tipping the Controller, function buttons on the Controller for direct menu entry, freely programmable favorite buttons for even easier operation, as well as a folding 8.8-inch display with high-resolution graphic presentation and an optimized menu structure. Enhanced navigation system with an even wider range of functions in entering destinations, planning trips and presenting maps. Optional audio system with hard disc memory.

• Introduction of the new BMW Z4 with a choice of straight-six power units ranging in output from 255 hp to 300 hp. Both versions offering an optimum combination of acceleration and fuel economy in their respective classes. BMW EfficientDynamics featured as standard with specific highlights tailored to each model: variable VALVETRONIC valve management or, respectively, High Precision Injection direct petrol injection technology, Brake Energy Regeneration, on-demand management of ¬ancillary units, variable oil pump, gearshift point indicator, all-aluminum or, respectively, composite magnesium/aluminum crankcase, optimized aerodynamics, and s with reduced rolling resistance. Both engine variants fulfilll the future EU 5 emission standard.

• Seven-speed sport automatic with double clutch as an option on the BMW Z4 sDrive35i. Shifting gears without the slightest interruption of power, the transmission provides a unique combination of the extra comfort of a BMW automatic transmission with maximum performance. Acceleration and efficiency improved over the manual gearbox models. Six-speed sport automatic with optimized gearshift dynamics, direct connection to the engine and minimized converter slip available as an option on the BMW Z4 sDrive30i. Both sport automatic transmissions feature gearshift paddles on the steering wheel.

• Outstanding driving dynamics thanks to near 50/50 weight distribution, rear-wheel drive and lightweight aluminum suspension with a double-joint tiebar front axle and centrally guided rear axle. Electromechanical power steering, high-performance brakes, latest generation of Dynamic Stability Control. Dynamic Drive Control featured as standard allows the driver to set up the car in three stages at the touch of a button. Dynamic Drive Control acts on the gas pedal control map, engine management, DSC response, the power steering control map, the dynamic gearshift on the optional sport automatic transmission and, on cars fitted with the optional Adaptive M Suspension, the control map for Electronic Damper Control.

• Comprehensive safety concept with extremely stiff body structures, defined load paths, specific use of high-strength steel and special deformation elements, head/thorax airbags integrated at the front and at the side in the seat backrests, three-point inertia-reel seat belts with new belt tightening technology, massively reinforced A-pillars and roll bars behind the headrests, runflat tires and a Tire Pressure Monitor fitted as standard, headlights with standard bi-xenon adaptive light technology.

• Engines:

BMW Z4 sDrive35i

Straight-six gasoline engine with Twin Turbo and direct fuel injection (High Precision Injection)
Capacity: 2,979 cc, max output: 300 hp at 5,800 rpm,
Max torque: 300 lb-ft from 1,400–5,000 rpm
Acceleration 0–60 mph: 5.1 sec
(seven-speed sport automatic with double clutch: 5.0 sec)
Top speed: 130 mph (150 mph with Sport Package) (electronically limited)
CO2 emissions to EU standard: 219 g (210 g)/km.

BMW Z4 sDrive30i

Straight-six gasoline engine with magnesium/aluminum composite crankcase, VALVETRONIC and double-VANOS
Capacity: 2,996 cc, max output: 255 hp at 6,600 rpm,
Max torque: 220 lb-ft at 2,600 rpm
Acceleration 0–60 mph: 5.6 sec (sport automatic: 6.0 sec)
Top speed: 150 mph (with Sport Package) (electronically limited)
CO2 emissions to EU standard: 199 g (195 g)/km.

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 05:17 AM
Bmw z4 (e89) #2

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 05:22 AM
Bmw z4 (e89) #3

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 05:29 AM
Bmw z4 (e89) #4

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 05:35 AM
Bmw z4 (e89) #5

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 05:40 AM
Bmw z4 (e89) #6

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 05:46 AM
Bmw z4 (e89) #7

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 05:51 AM
Bmw z4 (e89) #8

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 05:56 AM
Bmw z4 (e89) #9

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 06:01 AM
Bmw z4 (e89) #10

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 06:03 AM
Bmw z4 (e89) #11

EDIT Almost forgot, I attach the specs.

LeonOfTheDead
12-14-2008, 06:12 AM
first thoughts:
new BMW names are silly.
post 7 pic 5, that's something I would try to hide.

the car looks fatty, and larger and shorter. I can't see why I would want a folding top in BMW's roadster (I will repeat that, Roadster).
But I also can0t see why I should buy an SUV from BMW, what do I know...

Considering they are offering the 3.0 biturbo engine since the beginning, Im wondering, which would be the smaller engine available?
or bettere xpressing myslef, how much power would it require to be moved?

Dino Scuderia
12-14-2008, 06:24 AM
BMW have realized that people who want true sports cars are not buying Z4's...it's just a badge status symbol type car.

LeonOfTheDead
12-14-2008, 06:27 AM
BMW have realized that people who want true sports cars are not buying Z4's...it's just a badge status symbol type car.

people who want true sports cars are realizing BMW are not creating that cars anymore

Dino Scuderia
12-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Meanwhile BMW's M division sales are up 50% over 2007...so where they convey that they still care about performance they can do well.

But I've seen as many Gallardo's on the road as I have the Z4 Coupe and BMW's are very popular in my region.

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 07:15 AM
the car looks fatty, and larger and shorter. I can't see why I would want a folding top in BMW's roadster (I will repeat that, Roadster).
It's actually quite a lot bigger and fatter than the old Z4.

This car is just the BMW California.

LeonOfTheDead
12-14-2008, 07:40 AM
It's actually quite a lot bigger and fatter than the old Z4.

This car is just the BMW California.

but unfortunately it won't go that fast (I still remember that black mule flying on that small an ruined country road).

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Apparently in Europe there will be a 204bhp entry level version.

So definitely not as fast as a Ferrari.

Dantera22B
12-14-2008, 07:53 AM
I actually always liked how the old Z4 looked. I'm not sure about this version. A shame.

LeonOfTheDead
12-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Apparently in Europe there will be a 204bhp entry level version.

So definitely not as fast as a Ferrari.

that's quite a lot for an entry level though.
more weight, more power...going green who!?

Pando
12-14-2008, 08:15 AM
post 7 pic 5, that's something I would try to hide.I was thinking post 10 pic 1...

LeonOfTheDead
12-14-2008, 08:19 AM
I was thinking post 10 pic 1...

hiding him would not be enough;)

MRR
12-14-2008, 09:41 AM
No manual either? WTF!?!

LeonOfTheDead
12-14-2008, 09:43 AM
No manual either? WTF!?!

post 11, technical data's pdf, take a look.

coolieman1220
12-14-2008, 10:10 AM
looks smaller and why not keep the 3.2 I6 M3 motor in it? thats much more roadster like!
this way the M roadster could get the V8? although an I6 is a roadster engine! hmmm BMW surprise us!

Street_Dreamer
12-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Much, much better looking than the current one.
That's not saying much, and it doesn't mean it's a good looking car, but it's nothing like as horrid.

Like the rear view, though.

f6fhellcat13
12-14-2008, 11:04 AM
The !@$%@ roof ruins the lines that I think are much nicer than the original.
Except for the front, it's way too blunt. Should be more sloped.
EDIT: Wheels too small.

teatako
12-14-2008, 11:22 AM
ITT: All aboard the facepalm.jpg boat!

Seriously though, this is a return to the Z3´s hairdresser´s car roots. Which is probably not a bad decision as there´s a worldwide economic crisis where you should try and sell cars to the lowest common denominator.

That said, the pic is my face when I saw that car:

cmcpokey
12-14-2008, 11:42 AM
with the top down i really like it. i think the lines of the Z4 were updated well, and it looks rather nice. with the top up however, i think it is horrible. this car shoudl not have a hard top. it takes away the simplicity that a roadster is supposed to have. it depresses me that BMW is straying so far from the ethos that they profess. the odd and sometimes unsuccessful styling i can understand, but things that truly take away from the driving experience, like adding the weight of a hard top, mystify me.

Niko_Fx
12-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Looks pretty good, powerful as well. 0-60 in 5 seconds, must be a blast to drive!

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 12:33 PM
that's quite a lot for an entry level though.
more weight, more power...going green who!?
Imagine what would be the fuel consumption (and performance) if this weighted about the same as its predecessor...

NSXType-R
12-14-2008, 01:25 PM
This looks pretty good.

I'm satisfied.

How much weight did it gain?

Ferrer
12-14-2008, 01:31 PM
How much weight did it gain?
About 100kg.

NSXType-R
12-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Wow, that's like an extra fat passenger sitting next to you.

Spastik_Roach
12-14-2008, 03:36 PM
Its horrible! They've completely ruined it. Old one looked fantastic.

ok so not completely ruined. but old one looked better.

wwgkd
12-14-2008, 07:02 PM
I like the looks of the new one better than the old one (never really did like the old one. But that folding hardtop annoys me as does the extra 100kg. Extra power doesn't really compensate for weight.

silverhawk
12-14-2008, 09:15 PM
i like it. its much better than the old one.

NicFromLA
12-15-2008, 12:21 AM
I love the looks, however it's much more SLK than Boxster.

Bleeding Heart
12-15-2008, 04:50 AM
Looks a little better than the previous z4...

Rockefella
12-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Looks quite good imo.

IBrake4Rainbows
12-15-2008, 05:04 AM
The top is seriously the most horrid thing about this car.

other than that, I'd rock it.

NicFromLA
12-15-2008, 07:27 AM
The top is seriously the most horrid thing about this car.

other than that, I'd rock it.

I agree. Word for word.

ruim20
12-15-2008, 08:31 AM
I really wanted to like it, but i don't, thoose headlight are wrong, the back, i'd just chop it of, it's a mini 6, i don't even want to go to the inside, utter crap, just bits and pieces put together, that BMW badge does wonders to the eye.

A used Z3 will do nicely.

mclaren_crazy
12-15-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't mind the changes they have made, but it still just seems like one of the world's more obvious phallic images

NSXType-R
12-15-2008, 02:22 PM
I don't mind the changes they have made, but it still just seems like one of the world's more obvious phallic images

How you can think of the Z4 is that, I have no idea.

clutch-monkey
12-15-2008, 02:47 PM

lol, i don't see it.
you must have the world's oddest shaped dick if you think the Z4 looks phallic? lol

teatako
12-15-2008, 02:58 PM
lol, i don't see it.
you must have the world's oddest shaped dick if you think the Z4 looks phallic? lol

Long hoods are considered "male" for a reason.

BarneyBoy
12-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Looks about as attractive as a bucket of smashed crabs ;-)

NSXType-R
12-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Looks about as attractive as a bucket of smashed crabs ;-)

Okay, now two of the weirdest car descriptions have been said about the Z4....:confused:

I know, perception is everything, but seriously? :p

12-15-2008, 06:53 PM
the Z4 looks so average

Spastik_Roach
12-15-2008, 08:18 PM
How can people actually seriously like this. It looks like a Vanden Plaas version of the old Z4!

CHEESE-TACULAR
06-17-2009, 12:07 PM
Thought I might share these

BMW Z4 (e89) #12

cargirl1990
06-17-2009, 10:30 PM
this generation is nice but the last generation coupe Z4 was sexy. i never liked how its a hardtop and a convertible in one.

DesmoRob
06-18-2009, 01:00 AM
imo this is a significant improvement over the design of the first Z4. The last car didn't work for me nearly as well as the outgoing Z3 did. At least this one doesn't have any of the odd angles that made the previous car so awkward to look at from the side. In all honesty I do miss the design of the Z3 though. That was a pretty little car, even if it was a bit more on the feminine side. It was still a great experience to drive on windy roads with the top down. I consider it a German built Miata.

clutch-monkey
06-18-2009, 01:53 AM
meh.. i sort of get the feeling BMW is trying to look different, but is sacrificing, you know, actually looking good to do it.

cargirl1990
06-18-2009, 08:44 AM
imo this is a significant improvement over the design of the first Z4. The last car didn't work for me nearly as well as the outgoing Z3 did. At least this one doesn't have any of the odd angles that made the previous car so awkward to look at from the side. In all honesty I do miss the design of the Z3 though. That was a pretty little car, even if it was a bit more on the feminine side. It was still a great experience to drive on windy roads with the top down. I consider it a German built Miata.

meh.. i sort of get the feeling BMW is trying to look different, but is sacrificing, you know, actually looking good to do it.

this Z4 was designed by two women. one for the interior and one for the exterior. i'll always miss the last generation though. and the Z3.

clutch-monkey
06-18-2009, 08:58 AM
this Z4 was designed by two women.
that explains everything! :p

cargirl1990
06-18-2009, 09:11 AM
that explains everything! :p

i guess so! :D :p

DesmoRob
06-18-2009, 10:21 AM
this Z4 was designed by two women. one for the interior and one for the exterior

Chris Bangle brought his wife and daughter to work?

cargirl1990
06-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Chris Bangle brought his wife and daughter to work?

no, the exterior designer is Juliane Blasi and the interior designer is Nadya Arnaout. i feel that they killed it.

Ferrer
06-18-2009, 11:15 AM
no, the exterior designer is Juliane Blasi and the interior designer is Nadya Arnaout. i feel that they killed it.
I dont think the styling is the car's main problem.

I'd even say it looks better than the old one.

cargirl1990
06-18-2009, 11:45 AM

really? i like the old one better. i like how its long and then it curves where the roofline is and the duck tail just curves upright. i hope thats big enough and looks good.

Kitdy
06-18-2009, 11:58 AM

Looks like they will release a Z2 to be a true replacement for the Z3/last Z4.

I've heard that this Z4 is too compromised and isn't really like last generations one - it's more a cruiser as opposed to a hard sports car. That doesn't make it bad necessarily, but people like Ferrer will be upset - at least until the rumoured Z2 comes into being - if it comes into being at all.

Ferrer
06-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Looks like they will release a Z2 to be a true replacement for the Z3/last Z4.

I've heard that this Z4 is too compromised and isn't really like last generations one - it's more a cruiser as opposed to a hard sports car. That doesn't make it bad necessarily, but people like Ferrer will be upset - at least until the rumoured Z2 comes into being - if it comes into being at all.
I've read the same, and it does annoy me indeed. I mean if you want a cruiser, why not buy a 1er or a 3er convertible? They are more practical and almost surely the 1er is cheaper than the Z4.

Altough you may very well be right with this not being the true successor to the old Z4. That's what I thought too.

cargirl1990
06-18-2009, 10:24 PM
I've read the same, and it does annoy me indeed. I mean if you want a cruiser, why not buy a 1er or a 3er convertible? They are more practical and almost surely the 1er is cheaper than the Z4.

Altough you may very well be right with this not being the true successor to the old Z4. That's what I thought too.

you do have a point there Ferrer.

clutch-monkey
06-18-2009, 10:27 PM

because the lines are compromised imo, like all sedans/coupes converted into convertible, any car designed from the ground up as a convertible has better flowing lines,... just look at the 911 cabriolet aka the hump backed whale haha. nothing like cruising in a purpose built convertible :)

actually given the Z4's looks that's probably not an issue.. :D

DesmoRob
06-19-2009, 02:15 AM
nothing like cruising in a purpose built convertible :)

The best of those being the car in my avatar :).

clutch-monkey
06-19-2009, 02:18 AM
if it wasn't a ferrari that wouldn't qualify rob :p hacked up a fixed roof car... shaaame on you :p

IBrake4Rainbows
06-19-2009, 06:20 AM
It's strange but the Z4 original always worked better as a Coupe. Perhaps it was designed as such from the start....

the new Z4 works tremendously well in my eyes. yes the front sits a little high but the proportions and stance are incredibly lithe and beautifully executed.

The rear is somewhat bland but the sculptural aspect of new era BMW styling has been toned down in such a way as to be attractive.

The best analogy I can give is a woman with incredible bone structure. you get her too thin and a little young and you can see the potential is there, it's just raw, and often unattractive. This was the Original Z4.

Then, she matures. She puts on a bit of weight, softening her features and making her less harsh. she becomes more universally attractive. this is the New Z4.

Essentially it's Haute Couture vs Ready to Wear fashion. Has it made the experience less special, less edgy & ground breaking? certainly, but it's probably for the better.

You can't push the envelope everytime.

Ferrer
06-19-2009, 07:50 AM
It's strange but the Z4 original always worked better as a Coupe. Perhaps it was designed as such from the start....

the new Z4 works tremendously well in my eyes. yes the front sits a little high but the proportions and stance are incredibly lithe and beautifully executed.

The rear is somewhat bland but the sculptural aspect of new era BMW styling has been toned down in such a way as to be attractive.

The best analogy I can give is a woman with incredible bone structure. you get her too thin and a little young and you can see the potential is there, it's just raw, and often unattractive. This was the Original Z4.

Then, she matures. She puts on a bit of weight, softening her features and making her less harsh. she becomes more universally attractive. this is the New Z4.

Essentially it's Haute Couture vs Ready to Wear fashion. Has it made the experience less special, less edgy & ground breaking? certainly, but it's probably for the better.

You can't push the envelope everytime.
I more or less can find myself agreeing with that.

The problem is this car has gone from being a proper sportscar to a fat cruiser.

DesmoRob
06-19-2009, 11:32 AM
if it wasn't a ferrari that wouldn't qualify rob :p hacked up a fixed roof car... shaaame on you :p

Spiders are so hot they should totally qualify:D! I think Ferrari designed these super cars without their tops and just brought the coupes out first anyway, because they look too damn good to not be purpose built.:p

What's even better is you can find 360 spiders for around the same price of a new 911 ugvertible nowadays.

cargirl1990
06-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Its horrible! They've completely ruined it. Old one looked fantastic.

ok so not completely ruined. but old one looked better.

indeed it does, indeed it does.

Ferrer
12-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Moar powaaarrrr because moar.

Ferrer
12-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Some moar.

Ferrer
12-14-2009, 12:42 PM
And even moar.

Ferrer
12-14-2009, 12:47 PM
And of course no modern BMW would be complete without the quintessentially stupid M Pack.

Ferrer
12-14-2009, 12:52 PM
More M thingys.

Ferrer
12-14-2009, 12:55 PM
And finally, if anyone is really interested, there's the press release.

Kitdy
12-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Why did you go to so much effort posting all these photos for a car you don't even like?

I couldn't call it doing a public good because it's an ugly car.

henk4
12-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Why did you go to so much effort posting all these photos for a car you don't even like?

to please those who like it. This is not always such a narrow-minded community;)

Ferrer
12-14-2009, 01:48 PM

Because the hide-out should be the most comprehensive resource on high res automotive pictures. Not a selection of cars its posters like.

Wolf03
12-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Because the hide-out should be the most comprehensive resource on high res automotive pictures. Not a selection of cars its posters like.
I'm curious where the media pictures for the new Audi A8 and the updated pictures for 458 Italia are. I would post them myself if I had access to the media stuff.

Ferrer
05-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Mille Miglia Edition #19

Ferrer
05-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Mille Miglia Edition #20

Ferrer
05-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Contrasting hard top for the ultimate ghastly machine.

Kitdy
05-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Many thanks for the photo drop today!

Simi
05-27-2012, 11:16 PM
BMW is known as one of the best reputed brand all over the world. I am sure this car will rock and grab good market share and good will for BMW .