PDA

View Full Version : New PSA/Ford Diesel engine

henk4
12-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Jaguar is the first to benefit from the uprated V6 PSA/Ford diesel engine. The engine size has been increased to 3 liters and with two turbos it now produces 275 bhp and 600 nm of torque. The engine will become available in the Citroen C6 in the middle of 2009 as well. Whether any Peugeot model will get it remains to be seen, the successor to the 607 might have to be postponed anyway.
The engine has two turbos one of which operates on a continuous basis while the second one only comes in at 2800 rpm.
ECE figures for the Jaguar are 6.7 liters per 100 km, and 179 grammes of CO2 per km, which is actually 15% less than the 2.7 liter version.

Zytek_Fan
12-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Now where's the V8 turbo diesel that's been talked about before? :D

f6fhellcat13
12-29-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm quite impressed.
It seems that mainstream turbodiesels are nearing the 100hp/L mark. Not too long ago, turboed gas mainstream production cars were just passing that boundary.
EDIT: ~35mpg is a little less than I was expecting though.

Spastik_Roach
12-29-2008, 02:52 PM
That'll absolutely rocket along! 600nm of torque. thats a proper performance engine.

wwgkd
12-29-2008, 02:57 PM
What's the weight of the engine, though? Have they found a way to get away from the cast-iron block?

NSXType-R
12-29-2008, 03:21 PM
I thought Jaguar wasn't owned by Ford anymore?

Well, any technological advance is better than none. I wonder if this engine is coming stateside.

Ferrer
12-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Jaguar is the first to benefit from the uprated V6 PSA/Ford diesel engine. The engine size has been increased to 3 liters and with two turbos it now produces 275 bhp and 600 nm of torque. The engine will become available in the Citroen C6 in the middle of 2009 as well. Whether any Peugeot model will get it remains to be seen, the successor to the 607 might have to be postponed anyway.
The engine has two turbos one of which operates on a continuous basis while the second one only comes in at 2800 rpm.
ECE figures for the Jaguar are 6.7 liters per 100 km, and 179 grammes of CO2 per km, which is actually 15% less than the 2.7 liter version.
That C6 is going to have some serious torque steer and traction troubles.

Now where's the V8 turbo diesel that's been talked about before? :D
Under the bonnet of Range Rovers.

LeonOfTheDead
12-29-2008, 04:12 PM
I'm quite impressed.
It seems that mainstream turbodiesels are nearing the 100hp/L mark. Not too long ago, turboed gas mainstream production cars were just passing that boundary.
EDIT: ~35mpg is a little less than I was expecting though.

35 mpg are a very good figure for a full size sedan with 275 bhp, trust me. I can manage to achieve 4,5 liters/100 km (so two liter less) with my mom's car, but it weights about 1250 kg (I think the Jag it's about 1800 kg) and it has just 115 bhp.

What's the weight of the engine, though? Have they found a way to get away from the cast-iron block?

Honda uses a full aluminum diesel engine since some years.

Well, any technological advance is better than none. I wonder if this engine is coming stateside.

there is still a sort of agreement going on, so Jaguar can still use that engine as Aston Martin too.

I don't think this engine is going to help the C6 selling some more units, but tbh even the Xf is not the hot cake I would like.
there aren't enough of both on the road to look at.

NSXType-R
12-29-2008, 04:14 PM
there is still a sort of agreement going on, so Jaguar can still use that engine as Aston Martin too.

I don't think this engine is going to help the C6 selling some more units, but tbh even the Xf is not the hot cake I would like.
there aren't enough of both on the road to look at.

That's a good deal for them.

Ferrer
12-29-2008, 04:19 PM
So do PSA's smallest 4 cylinder diesels and BMW's diesels as well, amongst others.

wwgkd
12-29-2008, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=LeonOfTheDead;858958]
[QUOTE]

Interesting. I don't think we've gotten an aluminum diesel here yet. I was looking on the net and it says that honda hasn't brought their diesel to the US until 2009 model year. And it's not exactly returning massive power.

Edit: Bah, Ninja'd while I was researching on the net. Thanks Ferrer, both those seem to have flown by me. So is this new one for the XF aluminum then?

LeonOfTheDead
12-29-2008, 04:34 PM
So do PSA's smallest 4 cylinder diesels and BMW's diesels as well, amongst others.

didn't know about those

Interesting. I don't think we've gotten an aluminum diesel here yet. I was looking on the net and it says that honda hasn't brought their diesel to the US until 2009 model year. And it's not exactly returning massive power.

well, it was unveiled some years ago, it's not brand new anymore, but it has a good torque curve, and it was even kinda silent when it came out.

Ferrer
12-29-2008, 04:35 PM
You've got at least two. BMW's twin turbo straight six and Merc's 3 litre V6 engine.

LeonOfTheDead
12-29-2008, 04:36 PM
You've got at least two. BMW's twin turbo straight six and Merc's 3 litre V6 engine.

are those full aluminum?

Ferrer
12-29-2008, 04:37 PM
are those full aluminum?
Block and heads according to the specs.

f6fhellcat13
12-29-2008, 04:42 PM
35 mpg are a very good figure for a full size sedan with 275 bhp, trust me. I can manage to achieve 4,5 liters/100 km (so two liter less) with my mom's car, but it weights about 1250 kg (I think the Jag it's about 1800 kg) and it has just 115 bhp.

IIRC, in TG, Clarkson got 40mpg in a twin-turbo Jag diesel without hypermiling it, so I guess I was expecting about that from this.

Ferrer
12-29-2008, 04:47 PM
IIRC, in TG, Clarkson got 40mpg in a twin-turbo Jag diesel without hypermiling it, so I guess I was expecting about that from this.
Don't believe everything you see on TG... :)

EDIT The XJ is also aluminium (the XF is steel) and has a smaller and less powerful engine.

Zytek_Fan
12-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Under the bonnet of Range Rovers.

That's not putting it to good use.

wwgkd
12-29-2008, 05:03 PM

What? Blasphemy. ;)

This is cool stuff, I'm glad to see diesels making this much progress. Getting all aluminum engines to work (if it works for the R10 no amount of power is going to be a problem) and reducing the emissions while increasing mileage and specific power by this great of a margin.

henk4
12-30-2008, 01:32 AM

probably the plans to put the new engine into the Jaguar were part of the Tata deal. That we only hear about it today does not mean that things were unknown at the time of the sale.

henk4
12-30-2008, 01:35 AM
That C6 is going to have some serious torque steer and traction troubles.

there will also be a 235BHP/500NM version of the engine....might also be useful for the C5.

Ferrer
12-30-2008, 02:38 AM
there will also be a 235BHP/500NM version of the engine....might also be useful for the C5.
I'm sure the C5 will also eventually get the new 3 litre.

It will be one lairy Citroën... :)

SlickHolden
12-30-2008, 04:58 AM
When do we get it and who at ford does IB4 need to sleep with so we can have it :p.

IBrake4Rainbows
12-30-2008, 05:15 AM
I didn't volunteer myself for this.

I'm not that attractive to the average Ford engineer anyway - far too few moving parts :D

Clivey
12-31-2008, 06:28 AM

EDIT The XJ is also aluminium (the XF is steel) and has a smaller and less powerful engine.

The 2.7D is exactly the same in the XF as it is in the XJ - both very good cars though and the new engine will hopefully mean that the diesel will be comparable to the 5-series.

Ferrer
12-31-2008, 08:07 AM
The 2.7D is exactly the same in the XF as it is in the XJ - both very good cars though and the new engine will hopefully mean that the diesel will be comparable to the 5-series.
I meant smaller and less powerful than the new 3 litre.

You should post more though. :)

Clivey
01-01-2009, 10:27 AM
I meant smaller and less powerful than the new 3 litre.

You should post more though. :)

Ah, I see...but surely both the XF & XJ will get the upgraded 3.0-litre engine in lieu of the 2.7?

I know I should post more lol; I'm just generally a busy person!

Ferrer
01-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Ah, I see...but surely both the XF & XJ will get the upgraded 3.0-litre engine in lieu of the 2.7?

I know I should post more lol; I'm just generally a busy person!
Probably the 3 litre won't replace the 2.7, just add another option to the range.