PDA

View Full Version : Check this out

willysjeep
01-01-2009, 07:18 AM
This must have been the greatest era in the history of Rallying. Listen to those carburetted engines. Look at the driving in the dying moments of the video...........macnificent

YouTube - Group B - Pure sound (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Mag3kA2J8)

Bleeding Heart
01-01-2009, 09:03 AM
I have to agree with you their...

Those cars sound fantastic...

And the driving was incredible...

Specially the last scene, the driver almost brushed the spectators with his car...

Awesome driving, I have to agree...

drakkie
01-01-2009, 09:24 AM
Such a pity I was born too late..

Bleeding Heart
01-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Such a pity I was born too late..

Me too... it must be really awesome to see those cars as they speed on the roads almost hitting spectators...

I am still amazed by the level of precision of their driving...

baddabang
01-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I have to agree with you their...

Those cars sound fantastic...

And the driving was incredible...

Specially the last scene, the driver almost brushed the spectators with his car...

Awesome driving, I have to agree...

I...
Agree...
That...
Was...
Epic...

coolieman1220
01-01-2009, 11:36 AM
and then people died......

f6fhellcat13
01-01-2009, 01:00 PM
I...
Agree...
That...
Was...
Epic...

wat u did there, i c it.

Zytek_Fan
01-01-2009, 01:23 PM
The problem wasn't necessarily the cars (though Toivonen's shocking death probably didn't help...), but it was the fans. It became way too popular and there were too many stupid fans putting themselves at risk.

Ferrer
01-01-2009, 01:54 PM
This must have been the greatest era in the history of Rallying. Listen to those carburetted engines. Look at the driving in the dying moments of the video...........macnificent
They had actually discovered fuel injection by the 80's... :)

And the best sound car to ever have turned a wheel in anger on a special stage is the Lancia Stratos HF. No argument.

willysjeep
01-01-2009, 02:29 PM
They had actually discovered fuel injection by the 80's... :)

And the best sound car to ever have turned a wheel in anger on a special stage is the Lancia Stratos HF. No argument.That is 1 car that we've never seen in Africa. The Stratos, but those Audi's and the Chevairs were all carbs in South africa :cool:
And we never had a spectator problem as rallying was not such a great sport in those days. Remember......Africa is a soccer country

nota
01-01-2009, 03:53 PM
And the best sound car to ever have turned a wheel in anger on a special stage is the Lancia Stratos HF. No argument.
Is this as good as it gets? :confused: I tried to like it, really I did ...

#1 YouTube - LANCIA STRATOS RALLY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpoEgDOJI-s&feature=related)
#2 YouTube - Rally Del Corallo 2007 - Lancia Stratos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psXJQyY1k70&feature=related)

You'll probably try and reach through the monitor to rip my head off for saying this :p but geez imo GTR XU-1 Toranas make a better sound (as far as 6 cyls go) than what's coming at me from youtube

Maybe have a listen to this (gets a good racing hum up to it @ 0.35~0.43) with the old Holden 3.3 litre Tri-carb OHV I-6

YouTube - XU1 Torana (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCCTSWMvbbE)

Sonically its a typical representation of these cars (XU-1s got our AU national rally championship four times: 1971, 72, 73, 74)

Ferrer
01-01-2009, 04:01 PM
I think that the problem with sound is that you have to hear it on the mountains to really apreciate it.

Trust me, the V6 in the back of a Stratos produces such a sound that gives me goose bumps every time I hear it.

Your Holden sounds nice too. :)

Matra et Alpine
01-01-2009, 04:15 PM
The spectators were a majpr issue, but were controllable seperately.
GroupB from the start were much faster than expected and errors meant accidents.
There were many MANY near misses before the sad loss of Toivanen
The speeds were far in excess of what could be allowed in forests and on tarmac events.
So the deaths just hastened the termination of the class :( It was coming anyway.

re the sound ... YouTube mp3 encoding means a lot of loss of deep bass. Then you've got the puny mic used to record it and the even punier speakers you're playing it back on. As Ferrer says, you had to hear one of these on full chat through a forest where it echoes from a mile away :)