PDA

View Full Version : Honda to ax the S2000

teatako
01-06-2009, 11:50 AM
The restructuring of Honda’s new model programme that led to the death of the new Honda NSX is much more extensive than previously thought. Honda is completely dismantling its plans for the next two years as it attempts to deal with the rapid collapse in new car sales across the world.(read the whole thing here (http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle.aspx?AR=236796))

I for one am sad for the S2000. It covered a niche between the MX-5 and the more expensive German offerings. It is a very capable sports car as well as one of the most reliable cars money can buy, at least according to Top Gear´s surveys.

Soloracer
01-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Does anyone remember the pre-S2000 era/ Fast and Furious era of Honda? It was dull and reliable. I'm sorry to here that especially considering the NSX is officially off meaning Honda will go back to what its good at making boring old reliable gas sippers...

acuSI
01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
NOOoOOOOOO i wanted to get one after i graduated college... and preferably a new one:(
Im so sadddd

RacingManiac
01-06-2009, 12:19 PM
not surprising I guess since S2000 was built in the same plant as the NSX, and probably not much on that plant was interchangable with other Honda model...

acuSI
01-06-2009, 12:28 PM
what a joke tho!

Soloracer
01-06-2009, 12:42 PM
oh they did have one fun car pre-nsx and S2000 in the States that I know of, the CRX SI. My autocross friend would appreciate it if I gave his car some recognition. After all they're over 15 years old and are still one of the best handling cars ever built... if you put sandbags in the back for traction. :)

Ferrer
01-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Well the S2000 was certainly a bit long in the tooth...

acuSI
01-06-2009, 01:29 PM
well i mean i drive an Si and its quite alot of fun but the s2000 was still amazing

Sledgehammer
01-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Although I have never driven one, it was a very able sports car and although not the most practical car, a definete daily driver. Im sure we will see it again in another iteration years down the road.

coolieman1220
01-06-2009, 01:51 PM
NOOoOOOOOO i wanted to get one after i graduated college... and preferably a new one:(
Im so sadddd

buy it now! a new one will hold value very nicely!

acuSI
01-06-2009, 02:05 PM
haha I totally would If I had more money, I just got a new Si before I started school which was just this past semester lol

Niko_Fx
01-06-2009, 02:12 PM
A new S2000 is ridiculous, my friend got one for around $35k, too much money...

Here's a used one, 13k miles (practically new) for US $19k - And it's a 2005, so it comes with the 2.2L engine.

Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=256115796&dealer_id=42237201&car_year=2005&rdm=1231276240264&model=S2000&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2004&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=100&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&sownerid=573575&showZipError=n&make=HONDA&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=d&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=33436&advanced=&end_year=2010&doors=&transmission=&max_price=25000&cardist=27&rdpage=thumb)

henk4
01-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Here's a used one, 13k miles (practically new) for US $19k - And it's a 2005, so it comes with the 2.2L engine.

It is one of those cars that under current economic climate is one of the first things to get rid of.

acuSI
01-06-2009, 02:14 PM
thanks man that ones in fl but its a solid deal w only 13 k miles on it. i bought my Si almost a yr used for that much lol and it had more miles.... dangit lol

Auxin
01-06-2009, 02:21 PM
A sad sad day for car lovers everywhere. If a huge company like Honda is having to do this, then what about smaller less stable companies ???

NSXType-R
01-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Not really news, they were going to do so anyway.

How come Honda goes nuts and cancels all of their sports cars all of a sudden? It's not doing all that horribly.

See, imagine if a company like Porsche did that?

Seems more like a knee jerk reaction. I mean, Nissan's not worried and they unveiled the 370Z lately.

I do admit that the S2000 is old and should be replaced (but the basic formula be untouched, just advanced), but seems like a bad idea, especially with no halo car for Honda.

Matra et Alpine
01-06-2009, 06:40 PM
It is one of those cars that under current economic climate is one of the first things to get rid of.
NO, sadly the resale values on performacne sports cars are so bad it's now as well to keep it.
You can get UK RX-8s one year old for less than £8K !! GULP !!

How come Honda goes nuts and cancels all of their sports cars all of a sudden? It's not doing all that horribly.
I woudl suspect it's their highest production cost, lowest revenue and possibly lowest profit line vehicle and so gets itself into the firing line for what to cut regardless of what type of car it is.
SHame but no point having halo cars and going bust :)

coolieman1220
01-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Not really news, they were going to do so anyway.

See, imagine if a company like Porsche did that?

Seems more like a knee jerk reaction. I mean, Nissan's not worried and they unveiled the 370Z lately.

I do admit that the S2000 is old and should be replaced (but the basic formula be untouched, just advanced), but seems like a bad idea, especially with no halo car for Honda.

what many car companies do that honda seems not to is that they share parts designs engines and all that good stuff. The 370 is on the same platform as many of nissans models and variations of others. (G sedan and coupe, M sedan, maxima, fx.) honda had a different engine and chassis for the nsx and the s2000. they do share some parts with the accord and civics. gm platform shares as well of course they do it incessantly . porshce also shares a lot. its much more cost effective!

Sledgehammer
01-06-2009, 09:14 PM
NO, sadly the resale values on performacne sports cars are so bad it's now as well to keep it.

Just what JC said, something like "the last twenty years we have all been plaing musical chairs with our cars, but now the music stopped and everyones stuck with what they got."

TVR IS KING
01-07-2009, 02:44 AM
They're doing the Toyota thing. Axing their sporty models (Celica, Supra, etc.) and replacing them with nothing but a boring image.

P4g4nite
01-07-2009, 03:33 AM
have they not also killed the successor to the S2000?

Ferrer
01-07-2009, 04:19 AM
I woudl suspect it's their highest production cost, lowest revenue and possibly lowest profit line vehicle and so gets itself into the firing line for what to cut regardless of what type of car it is.
SHame but no point having halo cars and going bust :)
Hmmm... Next thread is bye bye Corvette... :D

P4g4nite
01-07-2009, 04:43 AM
I know Monaro Country and Co. have been championing the ZR1 but it is really an embarrassing indulgence of a bankrupt company, The base model Corvette will of course survive but it will have to cope with market more interest in value/mile than value/HP.

coolieman1220
01-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Hmmm... Next thread is bye bye Corvette... :D

NEVER!!! AMERICA IS NO PUSSY!!!!

our open roads need sports cars!

toyota isn't doin too bad though after they axed their sports cars....

RacingManiac
01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
what many car companies do that honda seems not to is that they share parts designs engines and all that good stuff. The 370 is on the same platform as many of nissans models and variations of others. (G sedan and coupe, M sedan, maxima, fx.) honda had a different engine and chassis for the nsx and the s2000. they do share some parts with the accord and civics. gm platform shares as well of course they do it incessantly . porshce also shares a lot. its much more cost effective!

Thats what I suspect too. In Honda's lineup those 2 stands as the odd ones out. No other Honda shares their chassis or drivertrain(and they don't share that between them either), I am sure it costs relatively high to supply those 2 models and having to maintain the lines that does not produce anything else.

LeonOfTheDead
01-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Thats what I suspect too. In Honda's lineup those 2 stands as the odd ones out. No other Honda shares their chassis or drivertrain(and they don't share that between them either), I am sure it costs relatively high to supply those 2 models and having to maintain the lines that does not produce anything else.

wasn't the 2.0 liter from the S2000 the same you could find in a Civic Type R?

RacingManiac
01-07-2009, 12:24 PM
With the installation being different I'd imagine most of the other parts other than the engine itself is not interchanable. Such that S2000 would probably need its own tranny, intake/exhaust manifold, and probably other supporting auxiliary....

Also later S2000 having the 2.2 liter engine makes it unique again, since I don't believe it is the same 2.2 as used by Prelude before...

LeonOfTheDead
01-07-2009, 01:12 PM
With the installation being different I'd imagine most of the other parts other than the engine itself is not interchanable. Such that S2000 would probably need its own tranny, intake/exhaust manifold, and probably other supporting auxiliary....

Also later S2000 having the 2.2 liter engine makes it unique again, since I don't believe it is the same 2.2 as used by Prelude before...

I think so too, just want to be sure about the engine.

roosterjuicer
01-07-2009, 01:14 PM
To be honest, the s2000 was the only Honda i wouldn't immediately turn around and sell if it was given to me for free. That thing was a pretty unique car, a really sharp looking small convertible that wasn't feminine at all. It was relatively fast, it was pretty, it used to not have much competition, and it had a sweet motor. I especially liked the old 2.0 litre one, I feel like it lost some of its personality with the bigger motor.

I dont think Honda is making a mistake getting rid of it, but I do think the world is loosing a good car

Vanishing Boy
01-07-2009, 04:15 PM
-> ...

Im so sadddd
^ All hope is not lost, you can get a decent used one. ;)

A new S2000 is ridiculous, my friend got one for around $35k, too much money...

^ Mine is also one of the great few examples:
- Sebring Silver
- 37K mi
- one owner
- has tinted windows
- Skunk2 exhaust
- K&N CAI
- USD$ 17.5K

:D

A sad sad day for car lovers everywhere. If a huge company like Honda is having to do this, then what about smaller less stable companies ???
^ I'd bet this will be only a short period only, once the market comes back...who knows?

have they not also killed the successor to the S2000?
^ Yes for now.

They're doing the Toyota thing. Axing their sporty models (Celica, Supra, etc.) and replacing them with nothing but a boring image.
^ Um, was the Civic Si boring? I don't think so compared to the tasteless Corolla XRS.

wasn't the 2.0 liter from the S2000 the same you could find in a Civic Type R?
^ No. The Honda 2.0L found on the Civic/Integra Type-R is the K20. While the S2K is powered by the epic F20C. The K20 is transverse-mounted (side to side), while the F20 is longitudinal (front to back). The K20 is suited for engine swaps to the Atom, S1/2 Elise/Exige, and the MR-S/MR-2 Spyder. The F20 and be fitted on any AE86's, E30/E36 3-series, and older FR-cars.

^ You're right the two engines are not the same or even related. The Prelude is powered by the Honda H22, the S2000 (USDM AP2) is powered by the Honda F22C.

I think so too, just want to be sure about the engine.
^ Although back in the late '90s, along with other older Accord's and Prelude's, they do powered by the same F-engine family. It is pretty complicated to explain here. But in in the shortest term, the F20C/F22C are a different engines.

To be honest, the s2000 was the only Honda i wouldn't immediately turn around and sell if it was given to me for free. That thing was a pretty unique car, a really sharp looking small convertible that wasn't feminine at all. It was relatively fast, it was pretty, it used to not have much competition, and it had a sweet motor. I especially liked the old 2.0 litre one, I feel like it lost some of its personality with the bigger motor.

I dont think Honda is making a mistake getting rid of it, but I do think the world is loosing a good car
^ Word up to your words! Since the F20 delivers more smiles per rpm than the F22. But on an everyday mulling, the F22 is more rewarding. :)

roosterjuicer
01-07-2009, 04:41 PM
^ Word up to your words! Since the F20 delivers more smiles per rpm than the F22. But on an everyday mulling, the F22 is more rewarding. :)

no doubt about it...nobody has ever accused me of being practical. I was mad as hell when lotus put a v8 in an esprit.

Kitdy
01-10-2009, 01:47 PM
The V8 RWD "Tier 1" program may yet be alive according to Temple of VTEC (http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=808157).

Heartening for Acura fans.

NSXType-R
01-10-2009, 06:36 PM
The V8 RWD "Tier 1" program may yet be alive according to Temple of VTEC (http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=808157).

Heartening for Acura fans.

Yeah, I heard about it too.

The plot certainly thickens.

Kitdy
01-10-2009, 07:13 PM
The current RL is not acceptable as a competitor for it's stalemates from the Luxury German Three or Lexus. I am actually not sure Honda/Acura should bother trying to get a V8 in the RL as I dunno if they will see return on their investment but maybe the program is too far in and given some years, people may accept a premium Acura as well as they do the medium Acura (the TL) of which the North American public have heartily approved.

clutch-monkey
01-11-2009, 11:04 PM
shame. would have loved a coupe version.