PDA

View Full Version : 1968 Cadillac Eldorado Burnout

Fleet 500
01-11-2009, 08:26 PM
This is kind of fun to watch... a 1968 Cadillac Eldorado in a burnout video. It looks strange (to me) to see smoke coming from the front tire. I've seen front-drivers burning rubber before, but it still looks strange to me.
YouTube - 1968 Caddy Cadillac Eldorado 472 Big Block Burn Out Launch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip7rJ4_WKU0)

f6fhellcat13
01-11-2009, 08:38 PM
You're right, it's kinda odd to see.
I'm always amazed that big block Eldos and Toronados didn't (don't) just torquesteer into the nearest obstacle.

digitalcraft
01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Since I know nothing about it, does front wheel work worse for drag racing? You always see rear-wheel cars.

I know once you get moving the weight shifting to the back will put more load on the back tires for grip, but it seems like the front wheels would have more initial load to resist losing your grip in the first place for quicker starting.

Fleet 500
01-11-2009, 10:38 PM
You're right, it's kinda odd to see.
I'm always amazed that big block Eldos and Toronados didn't (don't) just torquesteer into the nearest obstacle.
Maybe they removed all the obstacles? :D

Fleet 500
01-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Since I know nothing about it, does front wheel work worse for drag racing? You always see rear-wheel cars.

I know once you get moving the weight shifting to the back will put more load on the back tires for grip, but it seems like the front wheels would have more initial load to resist losing your grip in the first place for quicker starting.
Yeah, I would guess that rear wheel drive would be better for drag racing. You could always add weight to the luggage compartment to help with traction on a RWD car. Of course the engine weight over the front wheels would be a help, too.

f6fhellcat13
01-11-2009, 10:55 PM

The weight transfer make RWD more suited to the strip, but there are NHRA classes for "sport compacts" like this: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/1666/Pontiac-FWD-Drag-Racing-Sunfire.html and "Pro FWD" cars. (not sure if Pro FWD is the right name.)