PDA

View Full Version : 370Z

Wtf
01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Alright so, I just got a 370Z and LOVE it. Handles well, speed woops ass. Looking to make it better, but being so new having trouble finding parts for it. And was thinking of doing lambo doors, but doubting that very much from the bad things i hear from it. If anybody can give opinions/help, sites or places, recomendations and why, help me out.

Bad pictures, but here's my car as of now

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/Jsqueezy/370Z4.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/Jsqueezy/370Z.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/Jsqueezy/370Z2.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/Jsqueezy/370Z3.jpg

Horrible picture taker lol might take more some other time

One thing i do hate about this car is, the HUGE blind spot in the rear right.

baddabang
01-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Dont do lambo doors please.

Edit: Put it on GTR wheels.

LTSmash
01-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Do not:

Put on wing doors (technically they are not supposed to be called "Lambo" doors)
Put a single sticker on it (especially a NISMO sticker, this is not a racing car)
Put on a super loud exhaust
Put on a massive rear wing with no performance enhancement
Put on ridiculous looking wheels
Put in some exotic and loud stereo system
Put in NOS (boost... really?)
Put on tasteless aftermarket body kits
Put on a splitter (I've seen one on a road going 350 before... strange looking for the road)
Tint the windows to the extreme

Do:

Make it tastefully awesome.

Wtf
01-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Only thing i'm really looking to put into is it the performance parts under the hood. I like it how it is on the outside, the NISMO edition of the 370Z that the JP boys hooked up is nice i have to say though. Could do some other things, breaks, the new exhaust later this year that's coming out maybe...will look into that as a possibility. I think you'd be surprised of the racing car it could be, but lay the opinions down, always helpful

cmcpokey
01-15-2009, 12:13 AM
as i said in the other thread, i have a G35, so i am pretty up on the scene. check out stoptech or AP racing for the brakes. the nismo r-tune is a pretty good exhaust that can be installed by your dealer if you are in to the whole warranty, i think the magnaflow will get you the biggest gains, at least on the VQ35, although it looks like the only exhaust system currently available is an HKS system. nice but expensive.

one thing that shoudl factor in your upgrading decisions is do you want the car for looks or are you going to drive it. do you autox? do you have intentions on driving it on a track? these things will all affect what you shoudl upgrade. i agree almost completely with LTSmash, only disagreements is the exhaust if it gives you a lot of power. the stock one is already really loud, so you may just want to hold off on getting too loud. your neighbors may not approve. also i kinda disagree with the tint thing, my car is white (see avatar) and the dark tint i have helps the look.

either way, congrats on the purchase. and i cant wait to see more. i really need to find a local dealer with one so i can climb through it and drive it.

oh, and LTSmash, the splitter on the 350 came on the nismo z, and i think even some of the 'track' level specification cars.

edit: check out mynismo.com for a great selection of parts. 370Z isnt on there yet, but the g37 is, so it can give you an idea of whats available. also check out my350z.com or zdriver.com or the370z.com, these are all Z forums where you can get with other Z drivers and get some good, more specific advice.

btw where are you at, and do you have a Z specialty shop nearby?

LTSmash
01-15-2009, 12:25 AM
do you have intentions on driving it on a track? these things will all affect what you shoudl upgrade. i agree almost completely with LTSmash, only disagreements is the exhaust if it gives you a lot of power.

Yes, I should have specified if you (Wtf) were going to do some on-track driving. If that were the case "track based" (anything to improve lap times) customization would be approved.

oh, and LTSmash, the splitter on the 350 came on the nismo z, and i think even some of the 'track' level specification cars.

Funny you should bring that up because after I wrote that I went on to do some research on other 350Z's and found what closely resembles the one I saw.

clutch-monkey
01-15-2009, 01:20 AM
lol lambo doors. that would look funny on a track car, especially if you had a rollcage etc. imagine trying to get out in an accident
imo don't bother with adding power, try to get more out of what you have.

mj9977
01-15-2009, 05:32 AM
sweet Z dude, very nice. congrats

cmcpokey
01-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Yes, I should have specified if you (Wtf) were going to do some on-track driving. If that were the case "track based" (anything to improve lap times) customization would be approved.

Funny you should bring that up because after I wrote that I went on to do some research on other 350Z's and found what closely resembles the one I saw.

yeah thats the nismo. there was one at the dealer here, and i took a look at it. mostly an appearance package, but it does have some of the underhood nismo goodies. i think if it were on its own the splitter would look silly, but the whole package has a nice, albeit slightly rice, appearance.

lambo doors on a track car would look funny. can't say i have ever seen one. does the murcielago r-gt have the scissor doors? or did it go for conventional ones?

coolieman1220
01-15-2009, 08:28 AM
upon futher review, it doesn't not look like it has a sport package because of the rims and brake size. (correct me if i'm wrong) it might have touring do to the interior color. hmmm.

i wanna know how synchro revmatch downshifting feels!

Borla exhausts sound awesome! Stainless steel brakes are nice because they fade a lot less. the stock brakes are gonna give you sooo much dust which is annoying. go with Hawk Pads or Green Stuff i hear is good. other then that, happy modding!

kennyknoxville
01-15-2009, 08:48 AM
keep it stock. the only think i would put on it are offical nismo parts. congrats man

oh and if you cant find modifications you like, just wait, it just came out and pretty soon therell be a bunch of cool doodads you can slap on it. just keep it subtle and classy. dont rice it out

LTSmash
01-15-2009, 09:35 AM
lambo doors on a track car would look funny. can't say i have ever seen one. does the murcielago r-gt have the scissor doors? or did it go for conventional ones?

Looks like they went with the scissor doors.

Quiggs
01-15-2009, 10:31 AM
The first mods you should do with a brand new car is to the driver and the loan.

LeonOfTheDead
01-15-2009, 10:57 AM
The first mods you should do with a brand new car is to the driver and the loan.

this man, he has the truth.

Ferrer
01-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Looks like they went with the scissor doors.
And yet the Koenigsegg which competes in GT1 has regular doors, instead of the complicated ones in the road going version.

Cyco
01-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Koenigsegg could have kept their doors, but when they open they cover the front wheel.

This would mean much longer time for pit stops, so it was changed. Not often on the road are you after a racing front tyre change time...

digitalcraft
01-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Those are pretty nifty look. Definitely a nod back to the datsun era. With a car like that, if I wanted to use it for sports, I'd go for making it lighter first and power second, that's just what type of car it strikes me as.

cmcpokey
01-15-2009, 04:51 PM
Those are pretty nifty look. Definitely a nod back to the datsun era. With a car like that, if I wanted to use it for sports, I'd go for making it lighter first and power second, that's just what type of car it strikes me as.

i agree with the nod to the 240, does it perfectly. although the tail lights and rear deck are a bit wonky to me.

unless you are going to strip the interior, you arent going to get a whole lot lighter. its just a heavy car, no real way to get around it. it would be nice to drop a few hundred pounds though. and it does have plenty of power for most purposed, but i have been craving a bit more, and mine is 30 down on the 370/G37.

clutch-monkey
01-15-2009, 07:31 PM
i agree with the nod to the 240, does it perfectly. although the tail lights and rear deck are a bit wonky to me.

unless you are going to strip the interior, you arent going to get a whole lot lighter. its just a heavy car, no real way to get around it. it would be nice to drop a few hundred pounds though.
wonder what a CF hood/bootlid would do. on my friends STi the boot assembly went from 32kg to 9kg

maybe quick change doors :D

Zytek_Fan
01-15-2009, 08:56 PM
wonder what a CF hood/bootlid would do. on my friends STi the boot assembly went from 32kg to 9kg

I have a feeling a lot of weight is going to be in the doors along with the boot.

cmcpokey
01-15-2009, 09:45 PM

i have halfway looked at that, but i really want to have a nice car and not a stripped out racecar looking car. i think if i could get the carbon painted to match, i would. but def not for the doors. i really like having a nice luxurious car with power heated seats, nice stereo, and all the ammenities you expect in an infiniti.

Blue Supra
01-16-2009, 12:09 PM
You arent commited enough then. Until you have a road going Nissan/Inifiniti with only a drivers carbon seat, twin 044 fuel pumps buzzing in your ear and no sound deadening in the cabin you havent lived. :D

wwgkd
01-16-2009, 12:14 PM
He's an old man, cut him some slack. We're lucky he's not driving a Continental or something. ;)

cmcpokey
01-16-2009, 01:28 PM
He's an old man, cut him some slack. We're lucky he's not driving a Continental or something. ;)

how old do you think i am?

and i would like a racecar, just not this car while it is my DD

wwgkd
01-16-2009, 02:03 PM

According to your profile, about a month younger than me. And since I feel like such an old man most of the time...

Actually, it was just a stupid joke about old men driving comfortable cars. I didn't actually think you were that old, even before I checked your profile.

cmcpokey
01-16-2009, 03:45 PM
According to your profile, about a month younger than me. And since I feel like such an old man most of the time...

Actually, it was just a stupid joke about old men driving comfortable cars. I didn't actually think you were that old, even before I checked your profile.

its not really that comfortable of a car. with 35 series 19s and very stiff suspension, it can be a bit harsh (although much better than my mini). i want a car that i can drive to professional events, or have colleagues ride in, and not feel a bit silly. i would rather take the sacrifice at the track than every day. i also dont want to have the appearance of a heavily modified car. i like my new brakes showing through the wheels, but its not going to be something the average person sees. i dont even have the wing on the back that most Gs have, and i prefer it that way. with the mini i liked standing out with the white roof and the stripes, with this i like being stealthy. white with blacked out windows. i would like to get the suspension done on it, but i dont want it much lower than it currently is. and the only aftermarket wheels i even want are the nismo LMGT4, so still stock looking. basically, i want a sleeper that is still comfortable to drive.

edit: just so im clear, all of this comfort midedness is while the car is my DD. if i end up keeping it and not trading it in on my next car, then i may strip it down, and turn it into a trackday toy. (which would be fricken awesome)

wwgkd
01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
I understand, really. I'm kind of keeping my Jeep reasonable, too, as long as it's my daily driver. If it weren't, I'd still try to keep it street legal, but I'd definitely do more to it, especially with the tires. I don't mind the noise, but I don't like replacing tires literally every 10,000-15,000 miles like you do with swampers. Especially with what they cost to start with.

70cuda88
01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
And yet the Koenigsegg which competes in GT1 has regular doors, instead of the complicated ones in the road going version.

dihedral synchro-helix actuation

Ferrer
01-16-2009, 04:44 PM
(although much better than my mini)
A bed of nails would be more comfortable than a Mini. :)

By the way, if you wanted to turn it into a track car, wouldn't it be better to start with a more focused car?

cmcpokey
01-16-2009, 05:14 PM
A bed of nails would be more comfortable than a Mini. :)

By the way, if you wanted to turn it into a track car, wouldn't it be better to start with a more focused car?

probably so... but i really do like this car and the way it drives. not as good for autoxing as the mini was, but on track, and even on the highway, it is so vastly superior. i would consider doing a Z for a track car, but this is only marginally heavier.

clutch-monkey
01-17-2009, 06:30 PM
i have halfway looked at that, but i really want to have a nice car and not a stripped out racecar looking car. i think if i could get the carbon painted to match, i would. but def not for the doors. i really like having a nice luxurious car with power heated seats, nice stereo, and all the ammenities you expect in an infiniti.
yeah, the bonnet/boot lid would help, but isuspect as with the soarer the doors would be hefty. was actually looking if there was some way to swap the doors out quickly and easily for an associates RS4 but with modern cars it's too hard :(

any chance of turning your RX-7 into a track hack?

P4g4nite
01-17-2009, 09:34 PM
WTF, Is that how it looks from the factory or have you put low profile rubber onto small wheels?

cmcpokey
01-17-2009, 10:47 PM
yeah, the bonnet/boot lid would help, but isuspect as with the soarer the doors would be hefty. was actually looking if there was some way to swap the doors out quickly and easily for an associates RS4 but with modern cars it's too hard :(

any chance of turning your RX-7 into a track hack?

the rex is so well preserved from 1981 that i feel really reluctant to deviate from stock at all. i have thought about it, but it would really break my heart.

i'll have a real track car in the future. not super worried about it now.

(i love how this thread has so completely deviated from the original intent. and P4G4, who are you talking to, the original poster?)

f6fhellcat13
01-17-2009, 10:57 PM
i'll have a real track car in the future. not super worried about it now.

a 510 perhaps? You seem to like them.

I've always wanted to make a 914 track car. Crazy '70s colors and bodywork with some sort of equally crazy turbo-6.

cmcpokey
01-17-2009, 11:05 PM
i do like the 510s, but theres just something peculiar about them that turns me off. i cant really identify it.

an rx-5 would be cool. the guy that put my brakes on has plans to build a rotary 510, which suprisingly is not that uncommon, and that may be cool. he has a sr20det powered 510, check the i just saw a thread. really though, a 350Z or my current car, stripped down would be fantastic on the track. especially if i went the forced induction route.

f6fhellcat13
01-17-2009, 11:12 PM
i do like the 510s, but theres just something peculiar about them that turns me off. i cant really identify it.

an rx-5 would be cool. the guy that put my brakes on has plans to build a rotary 510, which suprisingly is not that uncommon, and that may be cool. he has a sr20det powered 510, check the i just saw a thread. really though, a 350Z or my current car, stripped down would be fantastic on the track. especially if i went the forced induction route.
I think I would go the older route just for simplicity's sake. That and it seems like it would be easier to add power to a light car than to lighten a pwerful one.
For some reason I gues I couldn't bring myself to buy a new (or relatively new) car and strip it out. It seems like I would miss the interior, mechanicals etc... of an old car less than a new one's.

This should all be take with an oceanful of salt though as I have never bought nor modified a car. :p

clutch-monkey
01-18-2009, 12:22 AM
I think I would go the older route just for simplicity's sake. That and it seems like it would be easier to add power to a light car than to lighten a pwerful one.
For some reason I gues I couldn't bring myself to buy a new (or relatively new) car and strip it out. It seems like I would miss the interior, mechanicals etc... of an old car less than a new one's.

This should all be take with an oceanful of salt though as I have never bought nor modified a car. :p

heh, i'm looking for a starlet GT engine to plant into my original mini clubman, uber-simple car.
lot of people use old datsuns and civics and stuff, simply because they're small and simple. even seen an R31 ute

whiteballz
01-18-2009, 02:59 AM
Was following an SR20DET powered gemini on the way home tonight.

Skinniest tyres evar.