PDA

View Full Version : 2008 "Dream, cars of the future since 1950" exposition, Turin, December 23rd 2008

LeonOfTheDead
01-17-2009, 02:51 PM
So, after a long time trying to fix all the pictures I took because I messed up with the ISO (1600 isn't exactly the right figure when you are in a very enlightened and white painted building), I'm ready to present you my coverage of the event. Thanks to John Tawley for some tips he gave me.

The exhibition's theme where the cars mainly since the 1950 that represented the view of the future trough cars, mainly concept cars, one-off or limited editions.

I visited the 23th of December, because previously I was busy at university, with the last exam the 22th of December (passed, yay!), and that represented a problem, because the show was on since September (I didn't know), and was going to close the doors the 28th of December, so some cars were already missing.
I don't even know which were missing for sure, but looking at another coverage from SwissCarSightings (http://www.swisscarsightings.com/dreams.html), I can say these cars weren't there, and who knows what else: a 1929 Fiat 525S, the 2008 Fioravanti Hydra Concept, the 2008 Italdesign Quaranta Concept (which I personally saw leaving the show on its own wheels in Turin's traffic) and the real 2004 Italdesign Volta Concept (grey car) , since the red unit you are going to see in this thread is just a fake car, with the brake's discs made of paper...
I don't understand why they allow such a fact, if the show is on until a certain day, there shouldn't be some features missing in the last days.
the same happened to a friend of mine which went to Geneva last year for the auto show on the final days, and one of the main cars, the red Audi R8 V12 TDI Le Mans, was missing because, I later discovered, it had been sent to the States for some reviews.

apart from that, I have to say the exhibition was excellently organized, the light was perfect and even the disposition of the cars, with a lot of space between each other, so to give visitors the opportunity to take picture from the angle they want.
I had a previous experience at the 2006 "Mitomacchina" exhibition in Rovereto, TN, Italy, where the lights where too yellow if not almost orange and the various stands were too overcrowded by cars.

there was a lot of text posted on the walls, some pictures and schemes too, but in most cases I forgot to take pictures of them, sorry for that.
I would still post those I have, like the first posted on the wall at the entrant:

The history of cars in Turin has developed along two lines. Our region has been mass-producing cars for a century, yet has never stop fuelling hotbeds of creativity, craftsmanship and technology expressed in one-off vehicles, prototypes and dream cars.
There are many powerful car districts in the world, in the United States, Japan, Korea, Germany and France, but never has there been an entrepreneurial and socio-economic phenomenon as Turin.
Alongside the manufacturing and mass-production tradition, all the brands and the great masters, some who have disappeared, some forgotten, most not known to the younger generations, have offered their vision of pure beauty, free of the restrictive standards demanded by the production chain.
This search for new style categories of future cars that designers have driven forward since the Second World War shows how their formal proposals have been underpinned by ingenious technological insight, often proceeding and provoking change.

some pics of the building's roof, and the view from the outside.

LeonOfTheDead
01-17-2009, 03:05 PM
The first car is a wooden replica by Italdesign, scale 1:1, build in 1986, and resembling the 1928 Voiture Maximum by Le Corbusier.

Le Corbusier it's the pseudonym of Charles-Edouard Jeanneret (1887-1965), artist, painter, sculptor, urbanist and architect, a true member of the futuristic tendency.
he was very attracted by the urbanization and cars, considered as the main and more representative product of the 20th century.
This was his only project of a car, and was revamped in 1935 in order to participate to a concurs of the Société des Ingénieurs de l'Automobile, asking to design an economical two seaters, costing less than 8000 Francs, and with a top speed of 80 km/h.
103 entries were present, but his was considered the more innovative and at the same time realistic, with its main points being the comfort and a design process from the inside to the outside (form following function).
in order to optimise the use of space, a monocoque was adopted, with the wheels included in the main volume, a rear engine, an aerodynamic shape for the front and a spacious cockpit.
all these themes are present in cars at least 30 years older if not more.

LeonOfTheDead
01-17-2009, 03:14 PM
this is a Frech carriage from the end of the XVII century.

The classic definition of a carriage is a four-wheeled horse drawn private passenger vehicle with leaf springs (elliptical springs in the 19th century) or leather strapping for suspension, whether light,smart and fast or large and confortable.
Some horsecarts found in Celtic graves show hints that their platform was suspended in a frame, elastically. The Romans in the first centuries BC used spring wagons for overland journeys.
With the decline of the antique civilizations these techniques almost disappeared. In the Middle Ages all travellers who were not walking rode (save the elderly and the infirm).
A trip in an unsprung eart over unpaved roads was not lightly undertaken. closed carriages began to be more widely used by the upper class in the 16th Century.

don't blame me for the poor English, I'm just copying.

LeonOfTheDead
01-17-2009, 03:21 PM
second part

In 1601 a short lived law was passed in England banning the use of carriages by men, being considered effeminate. Better sprung vehicles were developed in the 17th Century. New lighter and more fashionably varied conveyances, with fanciful new names, began to compete with one another from the mid-18th Century.
Coachbuilders cooperated with carvers, gilders, painters, lacquerworkers, glazers and upholsterers to produce not just the family's state coach for wedding and funerals but light, smart, fast and comfortable vehicles for pleasure riding and display.
At the end of the 19th Century they were little by little abandoned just as automobiles came into use, an coaching became an upper-class sport in Britain and America.

I just noticed the Italian is completely different, so I will post it in a couple of minute.

EDIT: here is the Italian text (freely) translated (by me)

The carriage born in Hungary during the XV Century,
Previously, during the whole Middle Ages, light wheeled carts were present, but the actual cart and the wheels were directly connected, without any kind of suspensions.
Italy and Germany were the areas where the carriages were mostly diffused, in the mid-15th Century only three were present in Paris. the first carriage in England appeared in the 1580, while a renowned person of Brandenburg (D) owned 36 carriages, each with six horses. The diffusion in Italy was so high that in 1936 the first garage specialized in the refurbishment, repair and built of carriages was created in Ferrara (near Modena).
A few year later, from 1554 in Mantova, Bologna, Milan and in the whole Republic of Veneto the first decrees were emitted for limiting and ruling not only the use of the carriages, but also the rank of the people allowed to drive one, or even stating the level of luxury allowed for the carriages themselves.
Regardless of these decrees, the comfort of those new vehicles and their important in the social life were so high, that in Milan, at the end of the 17th Century, there were 1500 carriages.
A hundred years before, Italian coatchbuilders substituted the system of chains and straps used as suspensions in the original Hungarian project, with elliptical springs, an innovation that got improved on the following Century with better techniques in the surgery of steel.

LeonOfTheDead
01-17-2009, 03:43 PM
1796 Cugnot's Car

Steam-powered vehicle, model on scale 7:10.

This is the first self-propelled vehicle.

The fardier, designed by Nicholas Joseph Cugnot, had the purpose of transporting heavy loads in the military arsenal in Paris.
the two vertical cylinders were powered by steam generated in a boiler.
These transmitted movement to the front wheel, which also provided steering.
The original is in the Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers in Paris

LeonOfTheDead
01-17-2009, 03:48 PM
1891 Tricycle by Enrico Pecori

Steam-powered tricycle. Vehicle built by the inventor Enrico Pecori. The horizontal twin-cylinder motor is powered by a boiler-generator with a concentric fire box. Chain-driven on the rear axle.
Steam power did not manage to rival the combustion engine, but vengeance is best served cold.

LeonOfTheDead
01-17-2009, 03:54 PM
1935 Monaco-Trossi racing car

Revolutionary radial engine

Made by the engineer Augusto Monaco and Carlo Felice Trossi, who tested it in the trial of the Italian Grand Prix at Monza in 1935.
The 16 cylinders of the two-stroke engine are arranged in a double star pattern with a single combustion chamber for each pair of cylinders.
The motor is front mounted and air-cooled, as on aeroplanes. It has front-wheel drive to avoid the necessity of a long drive shaft.

Engine size: 3982 cc
Power: 250 hp at 6000 rpm
Top speed: 200 km/h[quote]

LeonOfTheDead
01-17-2009, 03:56 PM
1935 Monaco-Trossi racing car

LeonOfTheDead
01-17-2009, 04:05 PM
1954 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint

Bodied in series by Bertone, it's a very representative model of the Italian style and engineering of the fifties.
Gifted with brilliant performance, it was produced between 1954 and 1966. An year after the introduction of the Sprint coupe, the sedan, a spider bodied by Pininfarina and other performance oriented versions followed, until the Giulia family was unveiled, mainly distinguishable for a larger displacement.

Engine: 4I, 1.290 cc
Power: 80 hp at 6.300 rpm
Top Speed: 165 km/h

LeonOfTheDead
01-17-2009, 04:08 PM
1954 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint

LeonOfTheDead
01-17-2009, 04:15 PM
1970 Pininfarina Modulo

The Modulo is considered an icon of Italian design for what it expresses and evokes. Bearing witness to the creativity of our country in dozens of shows around the wrold.
It won more than 20 international prizes. An experimental one-box model, it was fitted on a chassis housing a rear mid Ferrari engine 60° V12.

"We have always aimed to combine form and function with our idea-cars. In this sense, the Modulo is unusual in its own way, closing a particular period of research, often exaggerated, into pure forms. Still today they represent the seed of innovative aesthetics, heralding formal and philosophical ideas that are now more current than ever. More than could have been imagined then, in 1970."

Sergio Pininfarina.

LeonOfTheDead
01-17-2009, 04:18 PM
1970 Pininfarina Modulo

LeonOfTheDead
01-17-2009, 04:34 PM
2006 Swarovski Crystal Aerospace by Ross Lovegrove, Swarovski an Sharp

Investigation of the potential of crystal to increase the exploitation of the solar energy used by this space vehicle.

LeonOfTheDead
01-17-2009, 04:44 PM
2006 Swarovski Crystal Aerospace by Ross Lovegrove, Swarovski an Sharp

Since I can First remember the shape of the cars developed from the Trans Australia Solar Car Race have fascinated me. This (is) a world where nature and technology fuse with man's ambition to achieve ultimate performance levels and create a true sense of a sustainable future for us. The forms that have evolved from this particular science embody logi and beauty and stimulate visionary dreams of lighter structures, advanced material innovation, ecologically harmonized transportation system and a life of silence and clear air.
Such scientifically engineered entities are art forms of the highest order, and now that we have entered the 3rd Millennium with all our collective hopes and fears, they for me symbolize the potential man's creative thinking and helps us refocus our collective ambition. Instinctively I present this as a concept which converges the intelligence of solar innovation with the optical scientific arm of Swarovski in order to investigate the potential of using crystal to amplify light. Polycrystalline Photovoltaic cells embody the word crystal in their original definition so the legitimacy of their correspondence in this project to evaluate discovery and performance is the key to my work in this field.
Currently we are collaborating with Sharp Solar Europe and Swarovski Optial laboratories for the cell/crystal research. We are also consulting with Anthony Lo, designer of the Hy-Wire Concept for GM, now based in Sweden, and with Coggiola of Turin, Italy, on the fabrication of the car. This is my first realized project since receiving The World Technology Prize for Design in San Francisco recently, awarded by the World Technology Network, (WTN)

Ross Lovegrove

more (a lot) to come tomorrow

f6fhellcat13
01-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks, Leon. :)
Interesting stuff.
That Monaco-Trossi is quite simply awesome.

Timothy (in VA)
01-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Some awesome stuff there, good job.

1981 Tricycle by Enrico Pecori
Are you sure you've got that date right?

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 04:05 AM
Thanks, Leon. :)
Interesting stuff.
That Monaco-Trossi is quite simply awesome.

thanks, I like the car too :9

Some awesome stuff there, good job.

Are you sure you've got that date right?

wops, fixed :p

more to come, copying some text at the moment.

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 05:19 AM
According to the positivist anthropologists of the late 19th Century, humanity became aware of its own conscience through dreaming. Transported by this intangible vehicle, and invisible part of man, the soul, could split from the body, travel beyond the limits of time and space and live another life, in a superhuman dimension, parallel to the earthly one. Generations of shamans, studied for thousands of years to extract substances that could expand the dream dimension until hallucinatory substances and practices became themselves vehicles toward the unexplored territories of the mind. Men of old observed creatures that moved by walking, running, sliding, flying and swimming, and the mysterious presences that moved in the skies: the sun, the moon, the stars, the shooting meteors and flashes of lightning that shot across the sky. To give an explanation to the phenomena, out forefathers imagined that they were manifestations of supernatural beings that they called gods. Gods of a pantheon in continuous movement, not only across the heavens but towards the world of men, transported but flying chariots and winged horses. The idea of chariots and vehicles in general, developed from ancient times in opposing directions. On one hand, one part remained associated with the world of mythology, becoming the iconographic reference for gentlemen's carriages and boats until the Renaissance and later, the allegorical place of their presumed divine relations, their magnificence and power.
On the other hand, scientific thought appropriated the idea of the vehicle, replacing decorative glitter with down-to-earth gears, seeking the driving force not in the illusion of magic but in water pressure, in the weight of sand, the tension of ropes or the elasticity of leaf springs. In the 1st Century AD Heron of Alexandria designed an hour-glass mechanism to exploit the weight of the sand. In 1200 Roger Bacon (?) wrote prophetically: "We will manage to construct machines capable of pushing great ships at speeds faster than the entire formation of rowers and needing only a pilot to direct them. We will give carriages incredible speed without the help of animals. We will manage to build winged machines, capable of rising up to the air like birds". In 1400 Leonardo designed deadly tanks and a machine that moved autonomously driven by leaf springs. While art had dedicated itself to the celebration of the magnificence of the lords of the time, it was science that tackled the invention of terrible machines to ensure their supremacy. It was the century the Enlightenment that produced the first vehicle capable of moving on land without being dragged by muscular force but by the pressure of steam: this was the cart designed by Nicolas Cougnot in 1769, conceived to transport gun carriages inside an arsenal. But 19th Century man was not satisfied with the idea of a vehicle condemned to land by the force of gravity, but wanted to explore the heavens and water that had been the territory of Aurora, the Hippogriffs and Sirens. He returned with new scientific fantasy and imagined interplanetary submarine vehicles: Jules Verne's commander Barbicane directs his bullet-vehicle towards the moon, hurled by the formidable cannon Columbiade, while Captian Nemo dived into the depths of the seas in the Nautilus. Those who had instead stayed with their feet on the ground wanting to conquer th realm of speed, a few years later had to deal with pistons and petrol. Conscious of challenging the laws of nature they arrogantly baptised their vehicles with the most high-sounding names like a simply Torpedo, which means Siluro. Years later, an unstoppable process of evolution and experience enabled the creation of masterpieces of engineering and form, the offspring of a team of designers or a sole creative genius, often forgotten. In extreme cases, some of these masterpieces turned out to be difficult to use as vehicles, but perfectly suited to the category of works of art. Man has always dreamed of possessing an object endowed with independent movement, able to transport him, overcoming the friction of the air, the gradient of the terrain, the force of gravity and the pressure of the water, but but for that dream to be perfect man wanted the object of his desire to be unique and uniquely his, a projection and representation of his ambitions. This metaphorical object is all-encompassing of cultures, ages and social conditions. the Hippogriff, the Nautilus, the stationary firetruck the we all drove on a merry-go-round, the surreal cars tuned by amateurs and artists, the Indians cabs completely covered by decorations, the coloured buses that are driven on the dusty roads in Africa, the huge lorries decorated with chrome on the American highways, the shuttles decorated with crystal details and sofas upholstered in faux leopard, the perfect one-offs of the fifties, the most beautiful car of the latest show, all these things are different faces of the same dream, Today the borders of this dream have been moved towards still to be explored and conquered territories, so that the infinite dream can live forever. These new territories are called New Energies and Zero Emissions.

Text slightly modified due to a poor original English and the fact that the English text was lacking of almost a third of the Italian correspondent text.

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 05:58 AM
1945-1959

Shells
An entirely metal bearing body covers the mechanics, enveloping wheels, engine and interiors in a soft and supple shell.
The organic roundness also serves to give rigidity to the body sheet, the openings and windows are still small with thick pillars, Jaray's studies inspired the tear drop shapes from which a low and streamlined tail grew.
This is the third box, that housed luggage or the engine.

Rockets (gilda)
The conquest of the skies and space was the collective dream of the 1950s inspired by this, the futurologists predicted the era of flying cars. The space rocket style was applied to cars: panoramic domes, odd wings, and turbine air intakes sprung out on fusiform shells.

1953-1969

Lines
In the years of the economic boom, cars grew, their bodies became horizontal, stretched and streamlined, as if symbolising social dynamism. The concept of the line was born.
The belt separated the window from the roo, and the character defining line marked the side, the tail was flat and short. Inspired by Yves Saint Laurent's fashion, lines moved from round to the trapezium.
Design was rationalised and standardised, the enlarged radiator grille incorporated the headlights.

Baroque
The sparkling American life style became standard and was translated into exaggerated characterisation of cars. Popular luxury was born. streams of moulding and chrome, two-tone paints, the wings, fins, bumper, air intakes: the automobile Baroque contaminated the bodywork.

1969-1989

Boxes
The International Style embraced the car, celebrating and aesthetic standard rationalised, standardised and made socially compatible.
Bodies rose and became more compact in the two-box line, short or streamlined. pillars became thinner, leaving more space for glass.
Lines became geometries, the headlamps rectangular or pop-up, cancelled and standardised personality, chrome was replaced by matt black.

Wedge
Pure aerodynamics inspired by nature was countered by brutal effect of the spoiler and the wedge, gluing the car to the ground at speed. Low, moulded front end, inclined belt line, short high-cut tail.
The wedge shape becomes first a fad and then symbol of car dynamism.

1984- tomorrow

Bodies
Taste becomes globalised and uniform while the desire for individuality rows. Brand image brings a new expressive stability.
Breaking away from the angular, static nature of the boxes, the computer generates bodies first smoothed and then increasingly fluid and complex. The trend is towards the on-box. Headlights, bumpers and grilles are integrated into hyperbolic and heavy-built bodies, lines and forms lose their basis, becoming decorative.

Retro
With the Post-modern era, the recovery of styles and emotions lost in the globalisation process is celebrated. Brands rediscover or invent tradition. the front end is the strong element, chrome curves return. Applied to inappropriate dimensions and proportions, the classic line comes back.

New edge
The desire to generate a new, anarchic, hypermodern aesthetic marks the work of young computerised designers who ignore all rules. Rotundity and angles alternate with cross-bred forms in bodies strongly modelled, fragmented and recomposed in a 3D cubist collage.

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 06:23 AM
The modern car was born in the 1930s and became a mass product in Europe in the post-war period. The evolution of design stems in equal parts from technical development and aesthetic acceleration.
In a comparative analysis, thousands of models from 1945 to today can be grouped in four major families, that include twenty styles. Reconsigning them helps to understand the past of car design and where it is going.

1945 Fiat 1500 C

Style by Mario Revelli di Beaumont
Two seater coupe, one-off
Engine: 6 cyclinder, 1.500 cc
Top speed: 115 km/h

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 06:29 AM
1947 Fiat 1100 S

Two seater sport saloon, 401 units
Length: 3,9 m
Engine: 4 cylinder, 1.100 cc
Top speed: 150 km/h

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 06:35 AM
1947 Fiat 1100 S

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Fiat 8V: one car, many bodies.
While factories struggled to turn out mass-production models to satisfy the growing demand for mobility, the design of the Fiat 8V appears as an open-eyed dream. In two years only 114 example of this exclusive racing berlinetta were built. While the results from Fiat Carrozzerie Speciali (Fiat Special Bodies) were seductive, the coachbuilders proposals left the public speechless. Even the names like "Red Devil" or "Supersonic" evoke unharnessed creativity. On the other hand transparent roofs, fins and mock jet engines were more for effect than substance. Yet, in their diversity, they evoke all the optimism and the touch of healthy madness of those years.

1954 Fia 8V "Vetroresina"
Two seater berlinetta
Length: 4.03 m
Engine: V8, 2.000 cc
Top speed: 200 km/h

The fiberglass-reinforced plastic body (fiberglass = vetroresina) weights only 48 kg
Production cars had a metal body
114 units produced

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 06:48 AM
1954 Fia 8V "Vetroresina"

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 06:56 AM
1954 Vignale Fiat 8V "Demon Rouge"

This interpretation of the 8V is equipped with a transparent roof

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 06:59 AM
1954 Vignale Fiat 8V "Demon Rouge"

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 07:05 AM
1960 Abarth 1000 Pininfarina record car

Holder of many international records at Monza
Aluminium body by Pininfarina on Fiat mechanics, tuned by Abarth. One-off model.
Engine: 4 cylinder, central-rear mounted, unit derived from a Fiat 600 one
2 overhead camshafts
Power: 105 hp at 8.000 rpm

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 07:10 AM
1992 Morelli Romboidale

The engineer and researcher Alberto Morelli used to design gliders.
The theme is that of conceiving a car "nose" as similar as possible to that of an aeroplane to cut air resistance. This explains the rhombus-shaped arrangement of the wheels, two on the central axis and two on the longitudinal central line, making it possible to taper the nose considerably and provide a minimal steering radius. The curving system is very curious: a selector for the steering ratio between the front and the rear wheel is installed behind the second seat.

One-off model

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 07:15 AM
1956 Morelli M-1000

The evident advantages of the model in aerodynamic terms: the rounded nose, the drop shape on the side view, the stabiliser tails.
VW chassis and Fiat 1000 mechanics.

One-off prototype for road test

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 07:17 AM
1956 Morelli M-1000

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 07:27 AM
1955 Ghia Gilda Streamline X Coupé

Heroism and eroticism blend in a turbine

Streamlined two seater coupé
Turbine engine, originally it mounted an OSCA engine of 1.500 cc
Top speed: 225 km/h
One-off

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 07:34 AM
1955 Ghia Gilda Streamline X Coupé

The Gilda Streamline X Coupé returns to Torino for the exhibition DREAM dedicated to dream cars

For Dream, the exhibition dedicated to the allure and seduction of cars, organised by Torino 2008 World Design Capital (opening on 19 September), the car that stunned the public with its spectacular shape in 1955, the most innovative of the fifties, returns to Torino from Chicago. Presented as "a body with highly aerodynamic features", the Gilda is an all-fin model, as technically sensational as it is aesthetically provocative, whose name refers to the character played by Rita Hayworth in the film of the same name. Gilda appears as an emblem of the freewheeling optimism of the time that arrived from across the Atlantic through cinema and literature.
These were the years when Elvis Presley launched rock'n'roll, setting the musical agenda for the years to come, while in Italy, Domenico Modugno won first prize at the national song festival with Nel blu dipinto di blu (perhaps better known as Volare). RAI national television began broadcasting in 1954 and for fashion these were years of great luxury: "the Golden Age" as Dior defined it, the period of grandiose stars like Grace Kelly, Marilyn Monroe and Liz Taylor.
Designed by Giovanni Savonuzzi, the Ghia Gilda astounded the public at car shows with its extraordinary architecture which over time brought it praise and inevitable doubts. It is said that its shape was moulded in the wind tunnel at the Politecnico di Torino but there were many sceptical comments about its declared maximum speed: 225 km/h (140 mph). Some claim that out of caution it never raced at that speed. After the presentation at the Salone di Torino of 1955 and in other European shows, the Gilda left for the USA as a guest at the Henry Ford Museum of Dearborn. It has passed its life on the catwalks as the queen of styling and elegance competitions. Conceived as an exercise in style and with ambitions of high performance, it has a tail that was made to house a turbine engine. Its latest owner - Scott Grundfor - has in fact satisfied this aspiration.
Gilda will not be the only dream car on show: Dream, one of the main events of Torino 2008 World Design Capital, will provide an overview of almost 60 years of creativity spent convincing the automotive world - and consumers - to accept new styles, to demand new levels of performance and safety, and to conceive formats able to adapt the interior to the varied professional and leisure uses requested. Fifty-four cars and hundreds of exhibits (scale models, sketches, outlines and designs) tell the story of the incessant changes in tastes, aesthetic parameters and technical features from the post WW2 period to today.

http://www.torinoworlddesigncapital.it/file/image/DSCN0459_989.jpg http://www.torinoworlddesigncapital.it/file/image/gilda03_989.jpg http://www.torinoworlddesigncapital.it/portale/en/view(210-400)_gilda02_a_989.jpg

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 07:42 AM
1956 Politecnico di Torino, pure form model

The simulation of a body that moves close to the ground with minimal air resistance. produced by Alberto Morelli at the Politecnico di Torino, it reached a minimum Cx of 0.055

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 07:45 AM
1978 Pininfarina CNR

The CNR, the Italian National Research Council, developed with Pininfarina a study of the ideal car shape for minimum aerodynamic resistance.]

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 07:53 AM
1970 Bertone Stratos Prototipo 0

The wedge-shaped body sublimes in a stratospheric triangle

Two seater sport saloon
Length: 3,5 m
Engine: 4 cylinder, 1.600 cc

One-off

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 07:56 AM
1970 Bertone Stratos Prototipo 0 #2

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 08:02 AM
1970 Bertone Stratos Prototipo 0 #3

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 08:08 AM
1970 Bertone Stratos Prototipo 0 #4

faksta
01-18-2009, 08:13 AM
That's a great thread - can't wait to see more of these! And that Trossi-Monaco car - I thought it was never performed and just remained a project. Is it that actual car or a modern replica? How could it be that there are just no people on your photos?

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 08:14 AM
1963 Bertone Corvair Testudo #1

The Testudo prototype, developed in 1963 is one of Bertone’s most significant prototypes.A concentration of highly innovative technical and aesthetic solutions. For many designers the Testudo together with the Canguro of the following year were a basis of inspiration for a number of sports models. The choice of the mechanical unit was original. At the time the CORVAIR was the American Porsche. In fact, the engine of the Testudo is a 6-cylinder, air-cooled Boxer fitted at the rear. Curiously and singularly, Nuccio Bertone actually drove the Testudo himself from Turin to Geneva (March 1963). In those days S. Bernardo and Mont Blanc tunnels linking Italy to Switzerland had not yet been built.

source: Carstyling.ru (http://www.carstyling.ru)

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 08:20 AM
1963 Bertone Corvair Testudo #2

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 08:23 AM
1963 Bertone Corvair Testudo #3

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 08:32 AM
That's a great thread - can't wait to see more of these! And that Trossi-Monaco car - I thought it was never performed and just remained a project. Is it that actual car or a modern replica? How could it be that there are just no people on your photos?

Thanks a lot!:)
the Monaco-Trossi car is the original afaik (if the cars exhibited were replica it was written).
there aren't many people around because, as stated in the first post, it was one of the last days after 3 months of opening. The back of the medal is that some cars were already missing, check the gallery at swisscarsightings (http://www.swisscarsightings.com/dreams.html)for comparison. I also think some more cars were missing, because there were some images on the wall about some concept from Pininfarina and Ferrari, including the Dino series, which weren't featured when I visited, neither when Matteo "TT" Stucchi (SCS) visited, judging by his picures.

tbh, I think the cars had been rotated, meaning some were remouved and other added (as if I could visit more than one time, more than 4 hours of train...), because in his reportage, in the place the Italdesign Volta was exhibited I found the Vad.ho concept, which isn't featured in his site. At the same time where the Quaranta was present (which I saw leaving Turin on the road) I found a mock-up of the Volta, and so on.:confused:

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 08:37 AM
1968 Bertone Carabo

Colours, power and magic of a revolutionary shape

Two seater sports saloon
Chassis: Alfa Romeo Tipo 33.2 Stradale
Engine: Alfa Romeo V8, 2.000 cc
Top speed: 260 km/h

One-off

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 08:40 AM
1968 Bertone Carabo

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 08:44 AM
1966 Italdesign Manta

The circle closes in the first one-box sports model

Chassis: Bizzarrini
Engine: Chevrolet small block V8, 5.400 cc
Top speed: 325 km/h

One-off

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 08:48 AM
1966 Italdesign Manta

Considering the relevance of this car, I though it was a good occasion to quote our almighty Wouter :):

A racer at heart, Giotto Bizzarrini set out to expand his line-up with a mid-engined racing car for the 1966 season. His production based GT racers had been mildly successful, but they could achieve class wins at best. It was a very ambitious project as the small company challenged the big boys Ford and Ferrari, who were engaged in their epic war for Le Mans glory.

After six months development, the first chassis was constructed late in 1965. Designed to cope with the very powerful Chevrolet V8 engine, the chassis was of a tubular design with triangle shaped tubes. With double wishbones and disc brakes added to the mix, the new Bizzarrini was a very conventional racing car. It was dubbed P538, for 'posteriore' or rear(-engined) and 5.3 litre V8. It would get a little more complex when the first customer ordered his car to be equipped with a four litre version of the Bizzarrini designed Lamborghini V12.

By January of 1966 the rolling chassis was merged with the Lamborghini engine and a fiberglass body constructed by a local boatbuilding firm. While some of the P538 cues were lifted from its front-engined road going cousins, the roadster design was somewhat unusual. The front and rear overhang were very short ending in a chopped off Kamm tail and vents were in abundance. Until this point, it had all gone very well, but fortune quickly ran out when experienced test-driver Edgar Berney flipped the prototype during one of the first test sessions.

Due to the extent of the damage, Bizzarrini decided to strip the first car of all its (usable) mechanicals and fit them to a second chassis. At the same time a third chassis was also constructed, which would serve as the Works car. Shortly after the second car was completed, with its 400 bhp Lamborghini V12, it was shipped to its customer in the United States. He briefly raced it, but with little success. All the available attention in the factory was now on the third car, which was readied for that year's 24 Hours of Le Mans race.

The hastily constructed car was shipped to Le Mans just in time for the race, but too late to do any real testing. Seven laps into the race the V8 engined P538 was brought into the pits with a vibration in the wheel. The car was jacked up to examine the problem, but in the process a water hose inside one of the triangular tubes was fatally damaged. It was raced again in the fall, achieving a fourth position in a local race. Bizzarrini returned to Le Mans with the same car in 1967, but for reasons unknown to this day, it did not pass scruteneering.

For the new season the big prototype racers, including the P538, were banned, so Bizzarrini was left with a virtually useless racing car. In an attempt to sell the P538 as a racing car, Bizzarrini had the roadster body replaced by a more practical coupe. One of his customers, the Duke of Aosta, was very interested in the car, but sadly he did not fit. Especially for the Duke a fourth chassis was constructed and fitted with a tailormade coupe body. This car was appropriately named the 'Duca d'Aosta' Coupe.

At around the same former Bertone and Ghia designer Giorgietto Giugiaro expressed an interest to build a striking show car based on the P538 chassis. The two men had already worked together on various Iso projects, so Bizzarrini was more than happy to supply the Giugiaro with a chassis. They agreed that when the car was sold, they'd split the profit. Instead of building a brand new chassis, the coupe body was removed from the Le Mans car and that was sent to Turin where Giugiaro had just formed ItalDesign.

The master designer crafted a road hugging shape somewhat reminiscent of the DeTomaso Mangusta he had designed for Ghia. Glass was extensively used to give the small cockpit an airy look. Inside the passenger sat three-abreast with the driver slightly forward in the middle. This layout allowed for the pedals to be moved further forward, freeing up a lot of space. The dials were mounted in the dash on both sides of the long steering column. Giugiaro christened his first independent design 'Manta'.

Launched to great acclaim at the 1968 Turin Motorshow, the lime-green Bizzarrini Manta was the spectacular debut of the ItalDesign company, but also one of the last appearances of a Bizzarrini at an international motorshow. Unfortunately the Manta was lost after a trip to the United States, only to resurface in the late 1970s. In the following decade, the unusual green paint scheme was replaced by a kinder-to-the-eye silver and shown at the 20th anniversary party of Italdesign in 1988.

In recent years the car found a caring owner in the United States, who restored the Manta back to the 1968 livery. With its racing history and importance for the birth of Italdesign, the Manta is no doubt one of the most important show cars in existence. It is seen here at its post-restoration debut at the 2005 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance where it won first in class.

Article by Wouter Melissen

1968 Bizzarrini Manta - Images, Specifications and Information (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/2990/Bizzarrini-Manta.html)

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 08:51 AM
1966 Italdesign Manta

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 08:55 AM
1972 Italdesign Boomerang

Brilliant faceting in metal and glass

Two seater sports saloon
length: 4,34 m
Engine: V8, 4.700 cc

One-off

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 08:58 AM
1972 Italdesign Boomerang

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 09:03 AM
1989 Pininfarina Mythos

A design of quiet beauty

Two seater roadster
Engine: V12, 4.950 cc
Top speed: 290 km/h

3 units, one prototypes + two working cars

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 09:07 AM
1989 Pininfarina Mythos #2

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 09:10 AM
1989 Pininfarina Mythos #3

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 09:12 AM
1989 Pininfarina Mythos #4

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 09:16 AM
1967 Bertone Alfa Romeo Montreal Expo Prototipo

Innovative details on traditional proportions

Two seater couoé
Engine: 4 cylinder, 1.600 cc
Two units produced

Production model:
Engine: V8, 2.600 c
Produced since 1970 in 3.925 units

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 09:20 AM
1967 Bertone Alfa Romeo Montreal Expo Prototipo

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 09:26 AM
1971 Pininfarina Alfa Romeo P/33 Cuneo

New wedge-shape makes a clean cut with tradition

for non-Italian speakers, cuneo means wedge :)

Two seater roadster
Engine: V8, 2.600 cc
One-off

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 09:32 AM
1971 Pininfarina Alfa Romeo P/33 Cuneo

The car is based on the 1967 Alfa Romeo P/33 prototype, see in-line picture:

http://www.carstyling.ru/resources/studio/68pinin_ar_p33_roadster.jpg

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 09:40 AM
1967 Bertone Lamborghini Marzal

A new way to look at the car inside and out

Four seater sports coupé
Engine. 6 cylinder, 2.000 cc
Two units

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 09:45 AM

I had quite a difficult time trying to take decent pics of this bloody white car in that bloody white setting.
still an awesome piece of art.

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 09:48 AM

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 09:53 AM

Featuring also a couple of drawings (with my shadow included :p)

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 11:28 AM
2000 Bertone Filo

Evolution of the driving system, "Drive by Wire" makes it possible to eliminate pedals, gear lever, hand brake, column steering and much more.

One-off model

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 11:37 AM
2000 Lancia Nea

Power to electronics.
A series of monitors on the dashboard displays the results of the electronic equipment to aid driving and increase the safety.

One-off

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 11:38 AM
2000 Lancia Nea

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 11:42 AM
2007 Italdesign Vad.hò

Hydrogen supercar.
Joystick to drive in a aeroplane cockpit, BMW engine and hydrogen propulsion equipment

One-off

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 11:45 AM
2007 Italdesign Vad.hò

the car reminded me a lot of the 1988 Aztec Concept by Italdesign

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 11:47 AM
2007 Italdesign Vad.hò

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 11:53 AM
1994 Bertone Zer

With the Zero Emissions Record car, Bertone tested the extreme limits of the potential of electric power.
36 Batteries, Cx of 0.115, top speed of 303.977 km/h.
In record tests, an auxiliary parachute braking system was used.[/quote]

One-off

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 12:02 PM
1954 Fiat Turbina

Experimental car driven by an internal combustion gas turbine. profect headed by Dante Giacosa, design by Fabio Liugu Rapi.
Aerodynamic coefficient of 0.14, power of 300 hp, 22.000 rpm, top speed of 250 km/h

one-off

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 12:07 PM
1954 Fiat Turbina

LeonOfTheDead
01-18-2009, 12:17 PM
2008 Vision VDS

M.I.T, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, programme with the Politecnico di Torino, the Innovation Department of Regione Piemonte and Torino Design in connection with many universities around the world to create a six seats ecological vehicle for India.
This is the experimental prototype of the first phase

Ferrer
01-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Excellent thread. :)

Kitdy
01-18-2009, 12:58 PM
I love the back "window" on the Marzal. IT reminds me of the Cube City I saw in Montreal.

LeonOfTheDead
01-19-2009, 04:18 AM
Excellent thread. :)

thank you Sir :)

I love the back "window" on the Marzal. IT reminds me of the Cube City I saw in Montreal.

I found it stunning too, their recent concepts are nothing even remotely comparable to this. the details were amazing, the proportions excellent...Estoque who?

there are a lot more to come, as much as I already posted I guess.

LeonOfTheDead
01-19-2009, 04:24 AM
2006 Stola Molino's record car Replica

Commissioned by the Museo Casa Molino, Stola produced a full-scale model based on Carlo Molino's design.

LeonOfTheDead
01-19-2009, 04:55 AM
2006 Stola Molino's record car Replica

A dream made reality
The story of Carlo Mollino's speed car is a dream in itself. It only existed in his head and in a few pencil drawings, and certainly never achieved the precision that the provisional and working tables fr the Bisiluro did, which were indispensable for discussions with his project partners, Mario Damonte and Enrino Nardi.
With the exhibition "Carlo Mollino, arabeschi" to be mounted at GAM in September 2006, Fabio and Napoleone Ferrari, the curators at the Museo Casa Mollino, handed ober to Stola - the historic car-body buildind firm founded in 1919 that today is more oriented towards providing highly professional services and technological plants - a scale model of the vehicle made during 1950s that belongs to the museum.
The aim was to produce a full-scale model of the design that had been halted during its embryonic stage. This principle was the same as the onen that, prompted Giorgetto Giugiaro and Italdesign to build in wood the model of Le Corbusier's "rational" car - the Auto maximum - that did not progress past the planning stage in 1928, and which today belongs to the Museo dell'Auto in Turin and exhibited at the entrance. As Mollino's model was not made properly in scale and had to be interpreted, the designers at Stola began with the size of the wheels to give the machine a plausible proportion (in the usual scale of 1:8).
The result is one of great originality because Stola utilised the most modern procedures to produce the model: they carried out the outlines and deduced the mathematics. In 5 weeks they passed from construction of the tubal metal chassis to filling it with polystyrene, applying an outer "skin" made from epowood (epoxy resin) 4 cm thick, and automatically milling the shape (using a sophisticated, multi-axis numerically controlled milling tool). After a little manual touching up and paint, the dream had come true

Lucid dreamer
It was how Carlo Mollino was defined, but his lucidity must be understood as an intimate, internal thought process, impenetrable and also whimsical, bored when he reached a peak and the mystery of the discipline tackled had been revealed. Among the many interests he showed, cars and races seem the most striking, almost a social event, because they put him in contact with scatter-brained patrons and dreams, real technicians and engineers, high quality coachbuilders, seasoned workshops and shrewd drivers.
Alongside the DAMOLNAR (Damonte, Mollino, Nardi) adventure of the famous Bisiluro, conceived and tested, the exploration work that has led to the posthumous reconstruction of a life-size version by Stola from a scale model (owned by Casa Molino) of this car conceived for records seems truly exceptional.
The request was made to Stola by the Casa Mollino museum in view of the exhibition "Carlo Mollino. Arabeschi" held succesfully at the GAM gallery of Turin in 2006.
A machine to fight time, space and the laws of nature was quite something else for Mollino compared to his previous contribution to the creation of racing car. The record-breaking had no steering or lights but if he had been able to built a full scale with chassis and engine, he could have gone out to test it in the dark of night, as he used to do for other (photographic) shots in the dark.
If he had achieved this, he alone would have driven and timed this expression of his much -loved hybrid - asphalt bends and spirals in the air or on snow - to reduce by a mile or a hundredth of a mile the enigmatic patch towards the solitary consecration in the absolute.

LeonOfTheDead
01-19-2009, 05:05 AM
1992 Italdesign Columbus

Conceived as a "Caravella" for the Columbus celebrations in Genoa, it is proposed as a prestgious shuttle vehicle or travelling office

One-off model.

LeonOfTheDead
01-19-2009, 05:10 AM
1992 Italdesign Columbus

LeonOfTheDead
01-19-2009, 05:17 AM
1994 Fioravanti Sensiva

The supercar get fluent, elusive and sexy

Two seater sports saloon
Length: 4,12 m
Motor: electric

LeonOfTheDead
01-19-2009, 05:19 AM
1994 Fioravanti Sensiva

LeonOfTheDead
01-19-2009, 05:27 AM
1995 Pininfarina Argento Vivo

Technological materials, and Italian curves

Two seater roadster
Engine. 5 cylinder, 2.500 cc
One-off

Four additional units build on Mercedes-Benz mechanics.

LeonOfTheDead
01-19-2009, 05:30 AM
1995 Pininfarina Argento Vivo

LeonOfTheDead
01-19-2009, 06:20 AM
1998 Fioravanti F100

A vaguely biomorphic, aerodynamic wave

Two seater sports saloon
Length: 4.39 m
Engine: Ferrari F1 V10

LeonOfTheDead
01-19-2009, 06:22 AM
1998 Fioravanti F100

LeonOfTheDead
01-19-2009, 06:27 AM
1991 Italdesign Nazca M12

Gull wings on a polished body

Two seater sports saloon
Engine: V12, 5.000 cc
Top speed: 325 km/h

One-off model (even if I had to say I thought more cars have been built for the usual Sultan)

LeonOfTheDead
01-19-2009, 06:31 AM
2001 Fioravanti Vola

The sports two seater offer a very original solution with its opening roof. The roof wheels and rests on the baggage compartement in a special housing without reducing the luggage capacity

faksta
01-19-2009, 01:52 PM
That Stola is amazing. Thank you for the pictures!

pdr
01-19-2009, 07:21 PM
1956 Morelli M-1000

This bears more than a slight resemblance to Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion of the '30s. I'm not sure any exist, otherwise one (or more) would have been a great addition to this exhibit.

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 07:09 AM
That Stola is amazing. Thank you for the pictures!

thanks, when I first saw it I thought it was from the Wipeout Fusion videogame.

This bears more than a slight resemblance to Buckminster Fuller's Dymaxion of the '30s. I'm not sure any exist, otherwise one (or more) would have been a great addition to this exhibit.

I agree, I would have like to see again the ALFA 40/60 HP Ricotti too, that was another great example:

http://www.virtualcar.it/public/media07/siluro_ricotti_.jpg

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 07:18 AM
2001 Pininfarina Osée

A brand that makes you want to dare.
A shelled body and a brave new world for Citroen

three seater sports saloon
Engine: V6, 3.000 cc
One-off

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 07:20 AM
2001 Pininfarina Osée

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 07:39 AM
2004 Italdesign Volta

Three seater sports saloon
Length: 4,358 m
Engine: V6, 3.300 and electric unit
Top Speed: 250 km/h

Mock up model

ruim20
01-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Brilliant Leon, Thank you so much, i was hoping to see a C2, i allways liked it better than the M12.

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 08:17 AM
2005 Pininfarina Birdcage 75th

The Modulo reinterpreted in an expressive key

Two seater sports saloon
Length: 4,65 m
Engine: V12, 6.000 cc

One-off

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 08:28 AM

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 08:29 AM

as you can see I have something for this car

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 08:52 AM

and even more to come

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 09:05 AM

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 09:07 AM

last four

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 09:16 AM
2007 Bertone Barchetta

Two seater barchetta
Length: 3,59 m
Based on the Fiat Panta 100HP mechanics

One-off model

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 09:19 AM
2007 Bertone Barchetta

Minimax: simple, reductive, aggressive, surprising

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 09:23 AM
2007 Bertone Barchetta

it was the level of detailing that caught my eyes. Despite the weird pr0portions, mostly due to the 22" tires and the height of the car, it was pretty intriguing and appealing, something you would really want to use in a sunny day enjoying anything but the road.

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 09:27 AM
2007 Bertone Barchetta

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 09:31 AM
2007 Bertone Barchetta

last ones

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 09:52 AM
2008 Pininfarina Sintesi

Four door saloon, four seater
Legth: 4,79 m
Propulsion: fuel cells

One-off

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 09:57 AM
2008 Pininfarina Sintesi

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 10:02 AM
2008 Pininfarina Sintesi

Liquid, transparent design

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 10:04 AM
2008 Pininfarina Sintesi

Revo
01-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Leonardo Fioravanti is a genius.

Great thread, thanks Leon.

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Brilliant Leon, Thank you so much, i was hoping to see a C2, i allways liked it better than the M12.

I like the C2 too, the M12 was a little of a disappointment, and the golden windows prevented me from seeing the interior too (which actually seemed like those from a standard BMW of those years, nothing special)

Leonardo Fioravanti is a genius.

Great thread, thanks Leon.

and you are both welcome:)

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 10:53 AM
2008 IDEA Institute ERA

Roadster for the pleasure of drivign in full freedom

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 10:56 AM
2008 IDEA Institute ERA

Mix of curved and smooth lines with sharp, energetic strokes. Inside, the tubular structures underline the sporty spirit

LeonOfTheDead
01-21-2009, 11:01 AM
2008 IDEA Institute ERA

LeonOfTheDead
01-22-2009, 07:14 AM
1992 Italdesign Machimoto

The courage to astound.
It seems a game, a sign of the will to live. Seven seat leisure vehicle on chassis designed by Italdesign, and fiberglass bodywork.

Engine and mechanics: VW Golf GTi

One-off model

Although marginal in market terms, the theme of the spider is recurrent in car design and has inspired fascinating creative contributions. Of course, an open-top sports car is only half a car, but its pure nature is the closest to a dream. The tradition was strong in the 1950s, grew in the 1960s and 1970s, to then fade until the 1990s. The ideas from Turin have focused for a century not only on form but brought out the all-round quality of an unrivalled experience: driving in the open air.

LeonOfTheDead
01-22-2009, 07:21 AM
1973 Rogliatti & Michelotti Lem

Ahead of the times and modern.

A true journalist, Gianni Rogliatti in 1973 proposed an electric propulsed car with tires disposed in a rhomboidal layout. A monocoque in aluminium sheets glued and riveted, the engine is controlled by a chopper, 48 volt lead batteries.
Michelotti's haute couture completes the work.

LeonOfTheDead
01-22-2009, 07:27 AM
1976 Michelotti Vettura Urbana

A magic game.
First city car with sliding doors. Four seat one box car, 26 cm shorter than the Fiat 126 of which it uses the mechanics.

LeonOfTheDead
01-22-2009, 07:34 AM
1992 Italdesign Biga

The city car.
Hybrid powertrain: electric engine with an auxiliary diesel engine.
Available for renting at the beginning of the town center, an electronic card registers the time of usage. It can hold four passengers and the driver, stroller or wheelchairs.
Inox steel chassis.

LeonOfTheDead
01-22-2009, 07:40 AM
1973 Fiat X1/23

Electric citycar.
Propelled by innovative Yardney batteries with nickel and zinc instead of the usual lead-acid batteries, with twice the capacity.

LeonOfTheDead
01-22-2009, 07:48 AM
1993 Fiat Down Town

Urban Commuter Car
In response to the Zev specifications (zero emissions), three seater with a central driving position. the electric motors drive the rear wheels of which they act as the hubs. Sodium-sulphur battery weighing 165 kg.

LeonOfTheDead
01-22-2009, 07:55 AM
1999 Pininfarina Metrocubo

Ecologic and versatile
An exceptional result of compactness and flexibility melted together in a citycar.
Electric system longitudinal mounted as powertrain. Aluminium chassis.

LeonOfTheDead
01-22-2009, 08:20 AM
1999 Fiat Ecobasic

Explore all the limits of the sustainability.
Minimal environmental impact traction, robotic gearbox, less than 3L/100 km of diesel. It weights only 750 kg, and has a Cx of 0,28.
Interiors in ecological recycled or natural materials.

LeonOfTheDead
01-22-2009, 08:29 AM
2000 Bertone Slim

Two seat in a tandem disposition, for a better urban mobility.
Large only 1100 mm, it occupies only half of a parking space. Cockpit of aeronautical derivation, fiberglass body. The engine is a two cylinder positioned at the rear, an electrical unit available as option.

LeonOfTheDead
01-22-2009, 08:34 AM
2004 Pininfarina Nido

Style and engineering for the safety.
Frontal area deformable, safety central rigid cell, sliding upon two central rails. Two shock absorbers in honeycomb, for dissipating the energy of a pedestrian impact.

Awarded with the Compasso d'Oro by ADI in 2008

LeonOfTheDead
01-23-2009, 08:14 AM
2007 IED Beon

Exciting hybrid.
A Brilliant, thrusting version to make the hybrid appealing. Designed by 19 Master in Transportation Design students at the IED, Instituto Europeo di Design of Turin and exhibited at the 2007 Geneva Motor Show.
Model produced by CECOMP.

LeonOfTheDead
01-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Some scale mock ups from IED.

teatako
01-23-2009, 09:04 AM
z0mg a Hummer in the BG! Brix were shat. Was that a modeling exercise ?

LeonOfTheDead
01-23-2009, 11:09 AM
some text from the exhibition

Designers

Working in manufacturers or coachbuilders' style centers or with their own independent organization, they have dedicated their lives to designing, engineering, assisting and co-ordinating the phases that lead to the creation of new production models or advanced research one-offs. They are well known in the industry but not to the general public. It is always risky attributing the paternity of a car to a single person because the path that leads from the first pencil sketch, from the initial concept to the ca on the road or the sand at a Car Show is complex and ends up including an infinite series of contributions and conditions. Nonetheless, there are cases of construction lines, masses and insights born on impulse that are conserved and defended right up to the launch day. Here are some of the most important "backroom directors" from the Turin area. We thank them for having fed our four-wheeled dreams.

Tom Tjaarda
The American in love with Turin
Born in Detroit in 1934, he graduated in architecture at the University of Michigan in 1958. A meeting with Luigi Segre, the director of Ghia, convinced him to head for Italy. For the coatchbuilder he proposed a very daring design, the Selene II, of 1959. In Turin he worked with Gabetti A Isola architecture studio for the exhibition of the Centenary of Italian Reunification and designed the monorail cabin.
He worked for five as a car designer at Pininfarina until 1965, then at OSI Fergal. He substituted Giugiaro as head of the Ghia Style Office in 1968 and stayed here until 1977. His most renowned creations are from this period: the De Tomaso Pantera and the Fiesta model chosen for production by Lee Iacocca out of all the proposals made by Ford Style Centers. Appointed by Fiat in 1978 as Director of the Advanced Design Studio, he moved in 1982 to the new Rayton Fissore Style Center in Cherasco (which worked with Seat and Chrysler and was ahead of the times of SUVs with the Magnum). In 1984 he opened his own independent studio and is still working on Americans' projects among which an electric Mustang for the Mexican firm HSTI.

Aldo Sessano
In his father's footsteps
Sessano was born in Turin on 9 October 1931. Bron into the trade, his father Luigi was a designer and die-maker. He joined Fiat Pubblicazioni Tecniche in 1950 and in 1956 moved to the Centro Stile where he worked on cars and tractors alongside the young Giugiaro then an apprentice. In 1966 he designed the cab of a Pegaso and worked with Pio Manzù on Piaggio's cars and light vehicle models. He left Fiat in 1968 and designed his Mongho, on a Fiat 500 base at the Turin Show. He expanded his work in product design, especially in the field of household appliances. From 1971 to 1976 he worked for Volvo and Renault and for Inducar on the 1200 sports coupè produced by Seat, a company he worked for years as a consultant. He designed a cab interior with modular dashboard sectors for Scania. From 1977 to 2002 continuously for 25 years, he worked with Mitsubishi on dozens projects: Lancer, Galant, Diamante, 2nd and 3rd gen Pajero etc.

Filippo Sapino
Ford's Turin provocateur
Bron in Turin in 1940, he entered Ghia as a designer at the age if 19. He left in 1967 for Pininfarina where he was involved in designing the Ferrari 512 S (1969). This aggressive looking car was only 982 mm high. In 1969 he moved to Bruino as head of the italian Style Center of the Ford Motor Company. In 1973 Ford bought up Ghia and united the two design studios. He was first appointed Design Manager and in 1976 General Director. He remained at Ford till he was 60, during which time he contributed to raising appreciation of the flair, creativity and handcrafting skills of this district, despite acting within the environment of a multinational company. The two Turin-based styling centers acted as Ford's think-tanks and were used by the American parent as the antenna and research laboratory for the European and world markets. The centers produced many proposals that contributed to the birth of the final models as the Ford Granada , Pinto, Escort and the innovative, for its aerodynamic, Sierra. After Sapino's direction also excellent concept cars saw the lights of international Shows, as the Ghia Focus, Lagonda Vignale and the Streetka built by Pininfarina.

Paolo Martin
The expressionism of form beyond content
Paolo Martin was born in Turin in 1943. In 1960 he began an apprenticeship in the studio directed by Giovanni Michelotti. The six years he spent at the Pininfarina Style Center, with positions of responsibility, were decisive. During this time the Grugliasco company produced designs for the Sigma GP, Alfa Romeo 33 Roadster, Ferrari 512 Modulo, Rolls Royce Camargue, Lancia Beta Montecarlo and Fiat 130 Coupè. In 1973 Martin moved to Ghia as director of the Style Center where he was in charge, among other projects, for the design of Benelli motorcycles and the Moto Guzzi 850 Le Mans and 1000 California, marques that belonged to Alejandro De Tomaso who was the owner of Ghia. Martin turned freelance in 1976, and worked on projects for cars, motorbikes, boats and industrial design products. In his studio in Cassino he realised full-scale wooden models of a concept car for Bugatti and 1:10 scale models of the Sigma GP that attest his manual skills. He has an archive of more than 1000 drawings that offer witness of his creative research.

Enrico Fumia
A promise kept
Enrico Fumia was born in 1948 and at the age of 16 won the Bertone "Grifo d'Oro Prize" in the junior category. In 1970 he began to work with the studio belonging to Revelli di Beaumont. In 1976 he graduated in aeronautic engineering at Turin Polytechnic with a thesis on automobile aerodynamics following researches he carried out in the Pininfarina wind tunnel. He joined Pininfarina Studi & Ricerche in 1976 and six years later was made Director of Models and Prototypes. In 1988 he was promoted to Director of project and Design Development and a year later to General Vice Director of Pininfarina S&R. In 1991 he moved to Fiat Auto as Director of the Lancia Style Center and in 1998 was made Director of Diversified Design. He opened his own design studio in 2002, which since 2002 has been known as Fumia Design Associati, Sviluppo ed Engineering. The most important programmes to have been produced under his style directions were the Lancia Y, Alfa Romeo GTV, Lancia Lybra and Alfa Romeo 164.

Aldo Brovarone
60 years of cretive drive
Born in Vigliano Biellese in 1926, after experience in Argentina he returned with Carlo Dusion (Cisitalia) to Turin in 1952. He met Battista Pinin Farina in 1953. Following a rapid apprenticeship, the Alfa Romeo Superflow (1956) and the Ferrari Superamerica Superfast II of 1960 were created from a model of his. His masterpiece remains the Ferrari Dino Berlinetta Speciale taken to Paris in 1965, a design that was a prelude to the Dino 206 and 246 road versions. The 1975 Alfa Romeo Eagle was his last car fair prototype. He worked on the creation of many mass-production cars including the Peugeot 504 and the Lancia Gamma Couoé. After retiring (1988) he lost none of his enthusiasm, he collaborated with Roberto Stola (1996 Fiat Dedica and Abarth Monotipo exhibited at the last edition of the Salone di Torino, in 1998) and today with Alfredo Stola's Studiotorino (RK Spyder). As a hobby he drafts illustrated postcards that depict historical subjects, airplanes, cars and often imaginary period advertisements.

LeonOfTheDead
01-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Now, I posted all I have worth being posted, apart from some random images and stuff.
first image, what's that? it was a picture/rendering on the wall, no info or something, my Guess is it has something to do with Brovarone, iirc.
second pic, a huge wall poster of the B.A.T. series from Bertone. Definitely worth being stolen.

LeonOfTheDead
01-23-2009, 11:41 AM
this is some material in the area where, my guess, a couple of Pininfarina/Ferrari concepts/one-offs were exhibited, but not at the time of my visit or of swisscarsightings.

here it is.

A dream world cannot be pictured without depicting many of the Ferrari protorypes designed by Pininfarina. For example, the 375 MM, mysterious dream car of 1954 that ended up in the hands of film director Roberto Rossellini, certainly one of the four streamlined Superfast models designed almost one after the other, between 1556 and 1962. And the "red Dino" of 1965, a sinuous gem by Aldo Brovarone and the "yellow Dino", a 1967 evolution by Paolo Martin. To conclude, the 512 S, the streamlined, fluid wedge of 1969 by Filippo Sapino. It would have been wonderful to exhibit them here: some have disappeared, the others are so precious that they are kept well hidden. Cars yesterday, cultural heritage today. It is a pity that themselves have left Turin and Italy forever.

And now I think the thread is really over.

faksta
01-26-2009, 01:01 PM
I nominate this thread for the 'Report of the month', if anyone still remembers such a thing...

Ristpea
01-27-2009, 07:13 AM
I nominate this thread for the 'Report of the month', if anyone still remembers such a thing...
Same words!
Fantastico!

LeonOfTheDead
01-27-2009, 09:16 AM

it never started afaik, but I wouldn't mind ;):D

Same words!
Fantastico!

thank you both.:)

faksta
01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
it never started afaik, but I wouldn't mind ;):D

I remember there was such an idea, so I guess here's a great moment to start.

JorisP
01-03-2010, 02:58 AM
Those pics are absolutely awesome, Leon. As was this exposition! Thanks a mil!

LeonOfTheDead
01-03-2010, 03:50 AM
Those pics are absolutely awesome, Leon. As was this exposition! Thanks a mil!

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed them :)