PDA

View Full Version : Francophiles Rejoice... The DS is Back

cmcpokey
02-02-2009, 11:06 PM
According to Jalopnik Citroen will be bringing back the DS as a premium luxury model set. Details will follow in the coming weeks apparently.

Citroen will be unveiling three new DS-series cars for the near-luxury segment in the near future, with the small 2011 Citroen DS3 debuting at the Geneva Motor Show.

As part of its 90th anniversary, Citroen will announce plans for the revival of it's legendary DS range, starting with the DS3, to be unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show in March and set for sale in the middle of 2010. The mid-segment 2012 Citron DS4 will follow, going on sale in the beginning of 2011. The top-of the-line 2011 DS5 will follow at the end of the same year.

Details on the plans for this more expensive set of cars will be revealed on Wednesday, but we all know what should be involved - fancy suspensions. There's literally nothing telling us it'll be included, but we would absolutely plotz if Citroen announced they'd be using the amazing Bose electromagnetic suspension system as a modern version of the hyrdropneumatic suspension system. A grease monkey can hope, right? We'll be waiting on the edges of our seats for the formal announcement on Wednesday.

2011 Citroen DS: Citroen Bringing DSexyBack In Geneva (http://jalopnik.com/5144724/2011-citroen-ds-citroen-bringing-dsexyback-in-geneva)

f6fhellcat13
02-02-2009, 11:22 PM
It takes balls to do this. Hope it succeeds.
I'm suprised that they are hoping for that mangetorheological(sp?:p) suspension instead of gas.
I guess I'm nervously exited.

Ferrer
02-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Too early to say... but I don't have good feelings.

clutch-monkey
02-03-2009, 12:31 AM
i think it will end up too conventional compared to the original, but one can hope.

Spastik_Roach
02-03-2009, 12:41 AM
I really, really, really hope they got the design right on this.

crisis
02-03-2009, 01:21 AM
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/do-not-want.jpg
Then or now.:p

Rockefella
02-03-2009, 01:35 AM
Would be cool to see similar levels of innovation. Otherwise I honestly couldn't care less.

henk4
02-03-2009, 01:58 AM
First, the real DS was never gone, so it cannot be back, and second the words "DS" are likely to be used for marketing purposes. If they really have balls they will go against the current tendency and fit all models with hydro suspension, rather than gradually reducing its availability like they are doing now.

LeonOfTheDead
02-03-2009, 04:46 AM
I don't know why, but I have the feeling they would just move upmarket the the C3, C4 and C5 models, give them a new name, and a new price. or maybe not.
in both cases, it's just marketing, and unfortunately nothing more.

IBrake4Rainbows
02-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Pretty much unless it's some sort of futuristic piece of technology that makes people go "WTF thats awesome/strange/get it out of my face" and not a styling exercise then all will be well.

$10 says it will have conventional suspension & be based on some Peugeot Platform.

Leo_Ant
02-03-2009, 05:26 AM
They will never reproduce the same level of innovation the original one introduced, but still it takes the balls to do it and, in the end, this might turn out to be a good idea. French premium cars should be missed. The cherry on top of the cake would be a Facel-Vega revival, but that's off topic, I know...

Ferrer
02-03-2009, 05:31 AM
They will never reproduce the same level of innovation the original one introduced, but still it takes the balls to do it and, in the end, this might turn out to be a good idea. French premium cars should be missed. The cherry on top of the cake would be a Facel-Vega revival, but that's off topic, I know...
And it is sad, because there used to be quite a tradition of expensive luxury french cars and now there aren't any. Well, except maybe the C6.

(And please don't mention Bugatti. Just don't)

LeonOfTheDead
02-03-2009, 05:40 AM
And it is sad, because there used to be quite a tradition of expensive luxury french cars and now there aren't any. Well, except maybe the C6.

(And please don't mention Bugatti. Just don't)

what about the 607?! or the overpriced C8??:D

coolieman1220
02-03-2009, 06:23 AM
the car scarface was supposed to blow up!

dydzi
02-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Too early to say... but I don't have good feelings.

why not? citroen recently makes great designs... C6, then C5, and now C3 picasso which i shall say is one of the best pieces of french design i have seen in years... i'm glad citroen is back on making controversial yet attractive cars and that's what they're best at

Ferrer
02-03-2009, 08:09 AM
why not? citroen recently makes great designs... C6, then C5, and now C3 picasso which i shall say is one of the best pieces of french design i have seen in years... i'm glad citroen is back on making controversial yet attractive cars and that's what they're best at
Because it smells of cheap marketing ripoff.

LeonOfTheDead
02-03-2009, 08:45 AM
and I don't think the new C5 is that good looking or interesting.
it reminds me the prev gen Mondeo, big, squared, german-ish.

kennyknoxville
02-03-2009, 12:10 PM
you got that right

NSXType-R
02-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Never really warmed up to the DS, although it certainly is an interesting automobile. Maybe this will bring the old DS innovation to a new generation, and eventually bring Citroens across the pond? Nothing wrong with diversification. I will remain optimistic.

f6fhellcat13
02-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Never really warmed up to the DS, although it certainly is an interesting automobile. Maybe this will bring the old DS innovation to a new generation, and eventually bring Citroens across the pond? Nothing wrong with diversification. I will remain optimistic.
In that case I hope it doesn't get made. I hope to own a DS someday, and I don't need a new model coming to our shores and inflating the prices of the old cars in some Mini-esque wave of nostalgia.

02-03-2009, 06:57 PM
i'd like to see a car as innovative as the original DS was, but this just sounds like another mediocre car named after a historical namesake to promote sales...

Wenkel
02-04-2009, 05:38 AM
Can't anyone find any images of the prototype or even artistic renderings of the car so I can have an idea of how the new car might look like?

Ferrer
02-04-2009, 05:47 AM
Can't anyone find any images of the prototype or even artistic renderings of the car so I can have an idea of how the new car might look like?
AFAIK there are no drwaings or prototypes or anything yet.

teatako
02-04-2009, 08:13 AM
AFAIK there are no drwaings or prototypes or anything yet.

Mercifully, may I add :)

Ferrer
02-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Quite disappointing if I'm honest.

Let's see if the spec sheet can solve that (altough I doubt it...).

teatako
02-05-2009, 11:47 AM

Et c´est quoi, cette horreur? la nouvelle DS? :confused::eek::(

ruim20
02-05-2009, 11:51 AM

Disppointing is an understatment...

Miserable design whatever the name was, being the new DS only makes it sadder.

Shame on you Citroen! :(

crisis
02-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Mercifully, may I add :)

what he said! :D

Spastik_Roach
02-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Surely thats not an official one? please tell me its a sick joke! It bears no relevance or resemblance or anything to the old DS! ahh god! its a sick joke!!

LeonOfTheDead
02-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Surely thats not an official one? please tell me its a sick joke! It bears no relevance or resemblance or anything to the old DS! ahh god! its a sick joke!!

Citroën DS INSIDE (http://www.dsinside.citroen.com/)

Spastik_Roach
02-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Its not a sick joke...

Pando
02-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Huh never knew the DS was an SUV.

LeonOfTheDead
05-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Official Citroën DS Inside Concept Car website (http://www.dsinside.citroen.com/uk/?reveal=ok)
pics and "video", you gotta hate flash sites.

the car is showing up its interior, and it's nice. period.
I'm getting used to the car itself, I may even like it, but the question remain: DS who?!
I don't see, neither they underline, something worth the reviving of the moniker. Yeah, it looks good, it's fancy, it's definitely french, and so on...why not to call it C3 or D3 or whatever else?
I don't see the relationship as I didn't see it when it was revealed some months ago.
Am I the only?
Some Citroen-fetishist (looking at you Pieter...:)) may have something more to say with a better background...

henk4
05-28-2009, 05:00 AM
no comment as I could not open anything. Is there hydropneumatic stuff anywhere?

LeonOfTheDead
05-28-2009, 05:06 AM
no comment as I could not open anything. Is there hydropneumatic stuff anywhere?

Not mentioned. They don't mention anything apart from "the roof shealthed with leather is matching the monogram developed specifically for the DS INSIDE".

The link doesn't work? It should...

EDIT:attached print screen image
Can't download/attach the video though, .swf

henk4
05-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Not mentioned. They don't mention anything apart from "the roof shealthed with leather is matching the monogram developed specifically for the DS INSIDE".

The link doesn't work? It should...

I am supposed to download the latest version of flash player, when I do that and then want to install it, Adobe asks me to shut down Firefox. No way.

Ferrer
05-28-2009, 08:48 AM
I have two problems with that. One the aforementioned problem with the name.

And two, why would Citroën have two cars in each segment, basically competing with each other?

LeonOfTheDead
05-28-2009, 08:51 AM
I have two problems with that. One the aforementioned problem with the name.

And two, why would Citroën have two cars in each segment, basically competing with each other?

this is going to be probably much mroe expensive than the C3, so a direct fighter for the Mini.

Ferrer
05-28-2009, 08:53 AM
this is going to be probably much mroe expensive than the C3, so a direct fighter for the Mini.
But what's the point of selling both as Citroëns?

It will be confusing, and they can even cannibalise each other sales.

LeonOfTheDead
05-28-2009, 08:55 AM
But what's the point of selling both as Citroëns?

It will be confusing, and they can even cannibalise each other sales.

That depends on the price's difference.
Also, the standard C3 could go, no one said this is going to be a new model and not a replacement.

Rockefella
05-28-2009, 11:41 AM
http://www.nightbiscuit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/sort_of_want.jpg

IBrake4Rainbows
05-29-2009, 06:48 AM
What rockedimijad said. without the weight of history this is a fairly nice premium hatchback, with a very production ready interior.

Ferrer
05-29-2009, 07:40 AM
95% ready actually, according to Citroën themselves.

LeonOfTheDead
05-29-2009, 08:18 AM
95% ready actually, according to Citroën themselves.

remove the leather on the roof and it's done.

IBrake4Rainbows
06-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Simply replace the leather with another form of material - Vinyl perhaps?