PDA

View Full Version : Share your videos now

Wouter Melissen
05-12-2004, 03:47 AM
Good morning,

As of this week we have enabled the uploading of small video clips as attachments. The maximum size of the videos is 2 mb, due to bandwidth limitations.
As with images, we would like you to share your own unique material, not just videos found elsewhere on the internet, not in the least bit because of copyright concerns.
Enjoy the new feature!

Wouter Melissen

PS: any problems, see post http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65139&postcount=7 for instructions to fix it.

drakkie
05-12-2004, 06:30 AM
Dankje man, ik zal er zeker een paar opzetten/downloaden of whatever ermee doen. Vraagje: welke straat woon je in ??

stratos
05-12-2004, 06:39 AM
Can you speak english?? :mad: :mad:

thats one good idea Darkphenix ..... i dont start to speak portuguese with darkphenix in the midle of one trhead .... :mad:

If you want to speak that language create one trhead .... :mad:

Wouter Melissen
05-12-2004, 07:01 AM
Dankje man, ik zal er zeker een paar opzetten/downloaden of whatever ermee doen. Vraagje: welke straat woon je in ??

Keerweer.

Cotterik
05-12-2004, 10:02 AM
What he meant to say was : " loook i washed for supper! "

p.s ta very much Wouter :D

DarkPhenix
05-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Sorry drakkie and wouter by my arrogance :(

Matra et Alpine
05-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Good morning,
Enjoy the new feature!

The computer industry has failed dismally to standardise on video file formats and encoding/decoding, so there can be 'opportunities' :(

Some simple guidance and trouble-shooting .......

If you click on the video attachment it will open your default media player either in a new window, in the same window or in a different application.

You can also right-click on the attachment link and chose to Save the file to your local disk.

That's the easy bit, what about if something goes wrong :(

If you don't see the video, hear the audio or both then a few steps to go through.
First, check if other videos on UCP and on your disk work. If they do it's worth asking the poster about the format. This one file may have been encoded badly !
If that's not the answer then, save the file to local disk and run it from there by double-clicking on the file.
If that works, then it's your browser mappings and you need to check the client file mappings - with so many possible browsers, there isn't a simple one-step answer. You just need to fix them.
If that doesn't work, then it is either your file settings or the installed codecs used to decode the video. The simplest solution to these ( and it works for the above too ) is to just upgrade to the latest Quicktime and Windows Media Player. By default this will reinstall new codecs and reset all your file and browser mappings :)
You can get these at http://www.apple.com/quicktime/products/qt/ and http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player.aspx
The good news is they are FREE :)

If that still doesn't work then the sad news is you're in a difficult place :(

However, we're here to help :)
As I'd pushed to get it in UCP, I feel it's my duty to provide some support for non-computer folks to help them enjoy the "Video Vault of UCP",

So post here or PM me the following info :-
- what file and what's wrong
- the outcome of trying ALL the solutions posted above
- your computer type
- Operating system and version number
- browser and version number
- media player and version number
- video board and driver version numbers
- any other installed video/graphics packages ( ther are known clashes between packages )
and I'll get back to you as soon as I can and try to work a solution.

Creating them .......
For anyone wanting to convert videos to fit in the 2Mb limit then for Windows use the MovieMaker application that comes with XP. For others you'll need to find a suitable package. Many are available and some of the freeware are reasonable. Watch out what format you use to encode and pick one of the common ones, otherwise everyone has to install a new codec and you may not be loved for that :) The latest .mov and .wmv coding are pretty much on a par with the best. PM me if anyone wants advice.

DarkPhenix
05-12-2004, 01:11 PM
Tks by the help... :)

DasModell
05-12-2004, 01:15 PM
i recomand Mplayer . for linux . but i have a version that can be used under windows(don;t know how) wich combined with a Windows/Total Commander is a very useful tool . for playing different video formats