PDA

View Full Version : F20

Kitdy
02-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Saw this on another forum and thought I'd share as I think it's pretty interesting.

F20 is a new series proposed by the newly formed Japanese Motorsport Industry Association in which all the cars share the same monocoque, and have to comply to overall length, width, and height restrictions and use the same tire. There is no restriction on engine size however all cars must run through a 20 mm restrictor.

More info here. (http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/people/299729/dome-proposes-wild-new-sportscar-championship.html#comments)

Some cars pics below, both open wheeled and closed wheeled.

This is a really cool idea to me.

pimento
02-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Nice idea, but I have the feeling that they'll all decide on what is the best engine for the job and all use same thing. I like the idea of the multiple body styles though. Until they all decide which one is best and all use the same thing..

f6fhellcat13
02-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Nice idea, but I have the feeling that they'll all decide on what is the best engine for the job and all use same thing. I like the idea of the multiple body styles though. Until they all decide which one is best and all use the same thing..
You stole the words out of my mouth.
If, however, they find a way to make sure that everything is different and changing and fluid it would be quite awesome.

Kitdy
02-07-2009, 11:37 PM
You stole the words out of my mouth.
If, however, they find a way to make sure that everything is different and changing and fluid it would be quite awesome.

You stole the words out of my mouth. Fluidity and year by year evolution could be cool.

Shotgun pumped up LS9 in the weird teardrop one.

Or crate 502.

Or supercharged microblock a la Caterham Levante or Atom 500.

Or original 426 Hemi.

Or recent F1 Cossie redlinign at 21,000 rpm.

Cyco
02-07-2009, 11:51 PM
There is no restriction on engine size however all cars must run through a 20 mm restrictor.

You stole the words out of my mouth. Fluidity and year by year evolution could be cool.

Shotgun pumped up LS9 in the weird teardrop one.

Or crate 502.

Or supercharged microblock a la Caterham Levante or Atom 500.

Or original 426 Hemi.

Or recent F1 Cossie redlinign at 21,000 rpm.

These engines are not compatible with this restrictor size.

f6fhellcat13
02-07-2009, 11:59 PM
About how much power could an engine get through a 20 mm restrictor?

Kitdy
02-08-2009, 12:05 AM
These engines are not compatible with this restrictor size.

Humour - you failed to get it.

Cyco
02-08-2009, 01:01 AM
Humour - you failed to present it.

Ferrer
02-08-2009, 02:33 AM
Either that or perhaps different tracks favour different settings, therefore cars will still be different, because what goes well in one track doesn't in another.

In any case it looks like a good idea.

LeonOfTheDead
02-08-2009, 03:04 AM
it's an evolution of the Dallara Formulino idea, same car in different body/aero settings.
Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/photos/dallara-formulino/)

it could be cool, but I'm not sure if they are going to fight each other with different bodies in the same race/league, but I would like that, as in the nineties when, officially, a GT car or an LMP could fight each other for the overall win at Le Mans.

faksta
02-08-2009, 05:41 AM
Different body styles look like the Interserie (does it run today?). I doubt everyone will finally use the same body type/engine, because each of them should have its own advantages and trackbacks. The idea is great, I'd like to follow the series.

fpv_gtho
02-08-2009, 06:22 AM
I like the idea of the open wheeler and closed wheeler, but that Batmobile wannabe looks a bit weird.

W.R.
02-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Hmmm, why not just re-introduce group C rules?: Dimension restrictions, free engine choice, AND a maximum fuel use limit to keep the greenies appeased. What could be better?

Bob
02-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Hmmm, why not just re-introduce group C rules?: Dimension restrictions, free engine choice, AND a maximum fuel use limit to keep the greenies appeased. What could be better?

With group C rules i wouldn't be surprised to see every car in the field with over 1000 hp. then you get the problems with aero wakes, cars too fast and dangerous, have to put the crowd a mile away from the track, no passing, complete domination by big budget teams...

On the other hand pushing through a 20mm restrictor, the cars wil be limited to approximately 100 horsepower

RacingManiac
02-08-2009, 10:13 AM
This is nothing new, ALMS/IMSA already have 2 classes running in the similar vein. The Formula Mazda car and the IMSA Lite car shares all the chassis/powertrain bits but one runs closed wheel and the other open.....I kinda doubt the idea of having all the configuration races at the same time, but madder things have been done in Japan....

Kitdy
02-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Humour - you failed to present it.

Touché.

W.R.
02-09-2009, 03:03 AM
With group C rules i wouldn't be surprised to see every car in the field with over 1000 hp. then you get the problems with aero wakes, cars too fast and dangerous, have to put the crowd a mile away from the track, no passing, complete domination by big budget teams...

On the other hand pushing through a 20mm restrictor, the cars wil be limited to approximately 100 horsepower

Not every car would have 1000 hp. Fuel restrictions would see to that. And it's not cars that are dangerous, it's how they are driven that can be dangerous. Fuel restriction classes are what we need at the moment to enable companies and teams to engineer new technologies and techniques to create more efficient cars. Not that I care for all that bollocks: if it were up to me, group 7 rules would be reinstated somewhere, and seriously, 100bhp???? who would pay to see that? Boules is a faster sport.

Wouter Melissen
02-09-2009, 03:25 AM

This sounds like a fantastic and sensible idea at first. However it would also make for very tedious racing. I'd rather watch two cars and drivers race at the top of their game pushing the cars and themselves to the absolute limit. With fuel restriction, the chances are that most drivers will drive very conservatively and never very spectacularly. It is often forgotten but that is also what happened in many of the Group C and GTP races.

forager
02-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Well Kitdy, A 7+ litre, 20 mm restrictor. Tuning exercise to say the least. But with todays light weight body panels. They might get the suckers to run comparible lap times. Aero drag vs. weight. different Tracks. It's been done before. Any attempt at humour is worth the effort:)