PDA

View Full Version : road surface

whiteballz
05-12-2004, 04:52 AM
i was just wondering, what the road quality is like in other countries, iver heard spain/ and that general reigon's are pretty horrendous... australian roads are fairly well maintained, (near canberra sydney, the highways are good) but i was wondering about other countries.. do tell...

grip:
smoothness:
ability for cars to have a hot go: :D

drakkie
05-12-2004, 06:32 AM
It is very good here , specially on the highway :p .

Wouter Melissen
05-12-2004, 07:03 AM
It is very good here , specially on the highway :p .

You must have never driven a Minin on the highway then!

byronleehk
05-12-2004, 10:12 AM
I was in Hong Kong about 15 years ago and most of the roads were a 4-5 (from a scale of 1-10 & 10 being the best), and they were narrow...really narrow with lots of people walking around you (and I do mean around you).

The streets here in Alhambra, Monterey Park (California, USA) are OK, most of them ranked 6-7.

DarkPhenix
05-12-2004, 10:26 AM
Here in Portugal the roads are very good on the cities, but in the north or interior of the countrie.... :(

A road in the north of portugal:

Coventrysucks
05-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Most of the roads in the UK aren't great, especially when compared to the rest of North Europe. :)

Matra et Alpine
05-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Most of the roads in the UK aren't great, especially when compared to the rest of North Europe. :)
It's down to the traffic they're now taking.

Come up into the Scottish Highlands and there are roads that are SUPERB and probably haven't been touched or repaired for 20 years !!

Check out these 2 roads. The original twisty is lower in the valley and the more recent road ( 25+ years ) is the straighter one with the truicks on it.
Get to go have fun on the twisties with hardly anyone else around :)

UK CARS
05-12-2004, 01:27 PM
It's down to the traffic they're now taking.

Come up into the Scottish Highlands and there are roads that are SUPERB and probably haven't been touched or repaired for 20 years !!

Check out these 2 roads. The original twisty is lower in the valley and the more recent road ( 25+ years ) is the straighter one with the truicks on it.
Get to go have fun on the twisties with hardly anyone else around :)

ever driven on the hard knot pass??

its like the italian job......... :rolleyes:

the lake district...starts near esdale, very high up...thin wavy roads with high drops...!!!!!! scary :eek:

ZerK
05-12-2004, 01:38 PM
ever driven on the hard knot pass??

its like the italian job......... :rolleyes:

the lake district...starts near esdale, very high up...thin wavy roads with high drops...!!!!!! scary :eek:

Yep, been over the Hardknot pass a few times. Great fun, even from the back seat :D Wonderful scenery too...

UK CARS
05-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Yep, been over the Hardknot pass a few times. Great fun, even from the back seat :D Wonderful scenery too...

yeah great fun....

but when you get to a cliff edge like on the pic below, when another cars coming towards you, you have to go around the car scraping past it on the edge of the drop!!!! :eek: :D

on my pics it looks pretty flat..but believe people its not, when you get higher then its life or death!!! hehehe :p

carlover
05-12-2004, 01:55 PM
USA's roads seem to be fine... :)

johnnynumfiv
05-12-2004, 01:58 PM
All the roads in the US are good, well maintained and usually always a standard width, untill you get out into the country, they are dirt roads and really old roads.

cls12vg30
05-12-2004, 02:30 PM
yeah standard width except for some of the streets in rapidly-growing cities like Raleigh, where they make 6-lane roads out of 4-lane roads but don't have room to widen it enough, so the lanes are 6.5 feet wide. Scary at rush hour, especially if there's an SUV next to you.

GT500
05-12-2004, 04:57 PM
where I live it's horridly bumpy. However, as soon as you hit the state border line, the roads suddenly become smooth. CA just has bad roads or something i guess...

Matra et Alpine
05-12-2004, 05:02 PM
where I live it's horridly bumpy. However, as soon as you hit the state border line, the roads suddenly become smooth. CA just has bad roads or something i guess...
I'd driven down Half Moon Bay and also on the road north out of SF. I'd have said they were both great roads.
Was a few years go now :)

Sweeney921
05-12-2004, 05:32 PM
the east coast of USA has really nice roads. there's only some spots that have bad patches, but they (the government) has been filling them in recently

GT500
05-12-2004, 07:11 PM
I'd driven down Half Moon Bay and also on the road north out of SF. I'd have said they were both great roads.
Was a few years go now :)

Smooth?! In CA?! :eek:

Are you serious?!
Okay, 99.9% of roads here in CA are really bumpy. ;)

Niko_Fx
05-12-2004, 07:20 PM
Roads in Venezuela SUCK. The government won't do anything at all to fix them, the monkey that we have as a president raises the petroleum prices and puts all the money in his pocket cause no one sees improvement in the country.

Just so you have an idea, one of my best friends has an Alfa Romeo 146 TI, he had it with low profile tires/rims and after 7 exploted tires due to freaking holes in the streets he switched back to his old rims with thick tires (well he also drives like a crazy mother******)

Here in Boca Raton the streets are perfect, no holes AT ALL and no ups and downs (No mountains in FL)

cls12vg30
05-12-2004, 10:01 PM
From my experience up and down the east coast of the U.S., throughout the Appalachian Mountains, Great Lakes region, and a tiny bit in California, the roads in most of the U.S. are pretty good. The Interstate System is of course very well cared for, and most of the old U.S. Routes are as well. Surface streets vary from place to place. Where I used to live in Buffalo there were pretty bad because of the climate, the endless freeze/thaw cycles, snowplows, and road salt really tore up the roads bad. Here in North Carolina the streets are much better.