PDA

View Full Version : General Photography Competition #176

zeppelin
02-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Congratulations to Sauc3 for winning competition #175!

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachments/photography/296287d1234332303-general-photography-competition-175-_mg_8962bw.jpg

Rules (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/863226-post149.html)

• The deadline is Sunday 11:59 PM EST
• The photograph can contain any non-automotive image (other than adulterous material)
• The proposed picture must be your own and not found on the net.
• The photograph must be attached using the UCP system. Any picture not attached using the UCP system will not be in the voting thread.
• Your image may be up to 800 pixels wide or tall.
• Photograph may contain post-processing editing
• It is preferred that you state enhancements made, but not necessary.
• The photograph must be taken no earlier than three months before start date
• Each photographer cannot vote for himself, they must vote for the others.
• Any users who enter and vote for themselves automatically receive a 2 week penalty from the competition and all votes previously given to his/her photo are removed.
• The entry must contain the following information in the same order :

User name
Subject matter/photo title
Date taken
Camera Type | additional information you feel important

Standings 2009

Soloracer: 2
-
basman007: 1 / Timothy (in VA): 1 / IBrake4Rainbows: 1 / Sauc3: 1

Hey, sorry guys, my computer's hard drive is on its last legs and my computer barely runs. I may not be around much this week, but I'll get the threads up to the best of my abilities. If I need a cover, I'll try to PM whoever may be interested. Thanks.

scottie300z
02-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Scottie300z
Embers
at my house
Jan 10
Canon Sx100 IS

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=297223&stc=1&d=1235017585

pat_ernzen
02-19-2009, 01:35 AM
pat_ernzen
Grays
December 9th, 2008
Canon 20D w/ Tamron 18-200mm f3.5-6.3*
@ f7.1, 38mm, 1/500, ISO-400

*Again, definitely wouldn't suggest this lens, haha.

IBrake4Rainbows
02-19-2009, 02:47 AM
IBrake4Rainbows
Tiger, Tiger
Canon EOS 400d
December, 2008.
Colour Adjustment, Crop.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=297226&stc=1&d=1235036794

drakkie
02-19-2009, 02:51 AM
Drakkie
"The last chapter"
Pentax K100D Super + 18-55mm
Zalencentrum Rustburgh, Rotterdam
Union meeting with bad news

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=297227&stc=1&d=1235078273

Rockefella
02-19-2009, 03:09 AM
In difficulty, say the word and the task shall be fulfilled.

G_13191
02-19-2009, 03:35 AM
G_13191
Fun any one??
09/02/2009
Nikon D60
Sigma 18-200, ISO200 F16 @4sec
not much done. corrected the perspective, burn tool, and high pass filter to give extra sharpness..

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=297230&stc=1&d=1235039718

70cuda88
02-19-2009, 11:20 AM
G_13191
Fun any one??
09/02/2009
Nikon D60
Sigma 18-200, ISO200 F16 @4sec
not much done. corrected the perspective, burn tool, and high pass filter to give extra sharpness..

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=297230&stc=1&d=1235039718

Is that a ferris wheel? If not what sort of ride is that.

NSXType-R
02-19-2009, 04:21 PM

It probably is the ferris wheel. He probably took a long exposure so it looks like it's going at 2 million miles an hour. :p

Nice shot by the way. Tripod shot for sure?

cmcpokey
02-19-2009, 04:37 PM
It probably is the ferris wheel. He probably took a long exposure so it looks like it's going at 2 million miles an hour. :p

4 second exposure.. its in his info

zeppelin
02-19-2009, 04:49 PM
It's the Spinning Wheel of Death Ride. Don't go on a full stomach.

pat_ernzen
02-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Could still be hand held. :p

NSXType-R
02-19-2009, 05:30 PM

Yup, I skimmed past the info part.

nopassn
02-19-2009, 06:37 PM
nopassn
Tiger/Thank Christ for the cage
1/31/2009
Nikon D2x | shot with the 70-200 2.8 VR, cropped, contrast, USM

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=297678&d=1235093873

G_13191
02-19-2009, 07:40 PM
yep it is

perfecto. and a thank you.

:)

Could still be hand held. :p
:eek:impossible, at least for me.

It's the Spinning Wheel of Death Ride. Don't go on a full stomach.
i can only see it, cant even think about riding it...:(

NSXType-R
02-19-2009, 08:02 PM
yep it is

perfecto. and a thank you.

:)

:eek:impossible, at least for me.

i can only see it, cant even think about riding it...:(

No problem. Handholding a 4 second exposure is really hard, unless your arms and the rest of your body is concrete, but propping the camera up against something might make it more doable. But still hard.

Niko_Fx
02-19-2009, 08:05 PM
nopassn
Thank Christ for the cage

Why? he seems harmless...

pat_ernzen
02-19-2009, 10:30 PM
No problem. Handholding a 4 second exposure is really hard, unless your arms and the rest of your body is concrete, but propping the camera up against something might make it more doable. But still hard.
Yeah, I was joking. I don't think anyone could get a hand held 4s exposure to be sharp unless rigamortis had set in.

drakkie
02-20-2009, 02:49 AM
Yeah, I was joking. I don't think anyone could get a hand held 4s exposure to be sharp unless rigamortis had set in.

Maybe leaning against a solid thing, pole, balcony edge, whatever, can help get these shots by hand. Still it'd be a tall order!:rolleyes:

G_13191
02-20-2009, 06:40 AM
actully i have a few hand held too.. but you cant compare those with the tripod one.

drakkie, it is good to prop ur self and all that, but still even the slightest move just ruins everything. i have blurred photo WITH the tripod, coz of the slight motion the camera has when i click the shutter release button...:(

cmcpokey
02-20-2009, 09:19 AM
actully i have a few hand held too.. but you cant compare those with the tripod one.

drakkie, it is good to prop ur self and all that, but still even the slightest move just ruins everything. i have blurred photo WITH the tripod, coz of the slight motion the camera has when i click the shutter release button...:(

i dont have a remote, so in that situation i use the timer. hit the button, then 4 seconds later it snaps. not the fastest method, but effective.

pat_ernzen
02-20-2009, 11:14 AM
i dont have a remote, so in that situation i use the timer. hit the button, then 4 seconds later it snaps. not the fastest method, but effective.
I got a (cheap) wired remote pretty much exclusively for this reason. Unfortunately, it died after just a couple uses. Guess I have to spring for an actual Canon remote.

I don't know what kind of camera you use, but as for using the timer, at least with Canon, there are settings that change it to a 2 second timer (time+mirror lockup) on the older models and a shorter timer mode on the newer models, which is very nice. Though, if it's only 4s, then it sounds like you might already be using a similar method as Canon's normal self timer is 10s.

cmcpokey
02-20-2009, 12:53 PM
I got a (cheap) wired remote pretty much exclusively for this reason. Unfortunately, it died after just a couple uses. Guess I have to spring for an actual Canon remote.

I don't know what kind of camera you use, but as for using the timer, at least with Canon, there are settings that change it to a 2 second timer (time+mirror lockup) on the older models and a shorter timer mode on the newer models, which is very nice. Though, if it's only 4s, then it sounds like you might already be using a similar method as Canon's normal self timer is 10s.

i have a nikon d80. it can be adjusted pretty easily, but i generally keep the 4 second so in case i forget to reset it before doing a shot with me in it. one of these days i'll spring for an actual wireless remote. they arent that expensive, but with as few pics as ive been taking lately, i cant see the point. summer needs to get here in a hurry so i can be bothered to go out and shoot some. i really want a new wide angle lens though, tired of the sigma 18-50 that i have been using for 2 years.

NSXType-R
02-20-2009, 02:56 PM

Yeah, I get your point.

The Nikon remote is actually really cheap. $20. But again, I do have a really cheap tripod, but how often will I be lugging a tripod? More importantly, how often then will I be using my remote? I have a timer as well. Really versatile actually. Has many settings.

i have a nikon d80. it can be adjusted pretty easily, but i generally keep the 4 second so in case i forget to reset it before doing a shot with me in it. one of these days i'll spring for an actual wireless remote. they arent that expensive, but with as few pics as ive been taking lately, i cant see the point. summer needs to get here in a hurry so i can be bothered to go out and shoot some. i really want a new wide angle lens though, tired of the sigma 18-50 that i have been using for 2 years.

Yeah, I agree. The 18-135 is a great all around lens (not night time or indoor, of course), but I really want a different lens. That 35mm DX prime seems like a nice purchase.

I noticed that a nice way to get better low light pictures is to use wear you camera strap, pull it tight towards your waist, set your timer to the shortest interval timer, and take pictures that way. I've gotten okay results from a photo shoot inside a museum. Obviously, it'll be from a pretty low angle, but it works.

drakkie
02-20-2009, 03:54 PM

To prevent the movement is really really hard indeed. However i did take a few on the old Fuji S5600 a year or 3-4 ago, around the time I started this competition, with about 5-10s exposure times, leaning against a beam of the apartment building we were in. Sorry, too tired to even bother to find them.Dunno but I must have been very lucky then as a few turned out pretty nice.

In recent years I have taken barely no night shots, but even with tripod it can be difficult (i prefer industrial shots nowadays, aka windy and cold docks/quays/beaches, etcetera). Even a 5s exposure with tripod is difficult in these conditions!

I don't mean to prop myself(i am a lousy photographer, what makes me stand apart from the rest is the knowledge about my subjects and maybe my passion for it (port of rotterdam)), i'm just stating that in perfect conditions, it is possible but not easy ;)

Rasmus
02-20-2009, 04:06 PM

+1 to the above. If I don't have the wired remote with me, I just use the 2 sec shutter delay on my 40D. Works well enough for me.

That said, if astronomy's your thing where light is incredibly scarce, the stars are pinpoint tiny, and you're shooting bulb, you'll be much better off by locking the mirror so its movement won't disturb the camera.

NSXType-R
02-20-2009, 06:39 PM
+1 to the above. If I don't have the wired remote with me, I just use the 2 sec shutter delay on my 40D. Works well enough for me.

That said, if astronomy's your thing where light is incredibly scarce, the stars are pinpoint tiny, and you're shooting bulb, you'll be much better off by locking the mirror so its movement won't disturb the camera.

I don't think the Nikons have mirror lock up anymore. At least I know my D40 doesn't have it.

Rasmus
02-20-2009, 07:02 PM
I don't think the Nikons have mirror lock up anymore. At least I know my D40 doesn't have it.

Nikon added mirror lock-up going from the D50 to the D40. It's in the Setup menu.

NSXType-R
02-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Nikon added mirror lock-up going from the D50 to the D40. It's in the Setup menu.

Yes, but isn't it for exposing the sensor for cleaning only? It won't help you with photography at all.

Rasmus
02-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Yes, but isn't it for exposing the sensor for cleaning only? It won't help you with photography at all.

I see, it is indeed only for cleaning. It is the D200/300 that have true MLU, as well as the 400ms exposure delay. The D80/90 only have the exposure delay option. Supposedly it works best with exposures of in between 1 sec and 1/60th of a sec, because of the duration of the mirror vibration.

You learn something new every day. Thanks for helping clearing that up! :)

NSXType-R
02-20-2009, 08:49 PM
I see, it is indeed only for cleaning. It is the D200/300 that have true MLU, as well as the 400ms exposure delay. The D80/90 only have the exposure delay option. Supposedly it works best with exposures of in between 1 sec and 1/60th of a sec, because of the duration of the mirror vibration.

You learn something new every day. Thanks for helping clearing that up! :)

How about the D3 and D700? No mirror lock up too?

Yup, no problem. I'm happy that I know my camera quite well now. Plus, the D40 also has one thing that beats even the $8,000 D3x. It's flash sync is 1/500th of a second. That's faster than any current Nikon DSLR! It is quite useful. I've yet to screw up a photo using flash. Other than the fact that it's missing the screw drive autofocus, I love every last bit of my D40. Can't wait to eventually get the 35mm F1.8! It's only $200! But, I plan to get the SB-600 flash first when it starts to get phased out. It will be cheaper then.

Timothy (in VA)
02-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Timothy (in VA)
Arches
January 27, 2009
Sony DSC-S500

EDIT: Right at the deadline, hah! I really shouldn't have kept putting this off.