PDA

View Full Version : Official: Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SuperVeloce.

lightweight
03-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Press Release at

2009 Lamborghini Murcielago LP 670-4 SuperVeloce - Top Speed (http://www.topspeed.com/cars/lamborghini/2009-lamborghini-murcielago-lp-670-4-superveloce-ar71248.html)

Ferrer
03-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Four wheel drive = fail.

And that's the end as far as I'm concerned.

bruxell
03-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Four wheel drive = fail.

And that's the end as far as I'm concerned.

Four wheel drive, paddle-shift... It's not exactly the way to go about building a lightweight special, even by German standards. On the plus side, it looks fab and will probably go very fast. I do however wish that we could go back to the days when photoshopped sketches were distinguishable from photoshopped photos...

blingbling
03-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Four wheel drive = fail.predictably said from a country of temperate climate

Ferrer
03-02-2009, 02:34 PM
predictably said from a country of temperate climate
Because you buy a lightweight Lambo to drive it in the snow.

blingbling
03-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Because you buy a lightweight Lambo to drive it in the snow.uhhh, this is how you want to play?

if i have a lightweight lambo, and love driving, and its a cold february day in toronto, i am going to take it out.

im not an idiot thats going to go "hey look there is a pile of snow, i have a lambo, its 4WD, i am going into it", but the fact that on these streets may have random unexpected patches of ice, the extra wheels being driven would make me feel more comfortable.

your lack of first hand experience in dealing with toronto-like weather really shows. you don't take the snow or whatever head-on so don't make it sound like that is what i implied, because it isn't. it is having it on the side that may be of use to some people.

Ferrer
03-02-2009, 02:55 PM
I still can't understand why the possibility of meeting with ice or slippery conditions in the road would make you want four wheel drive in a supercar.

teatako
03-02-2009, 02:58 PM
uhhh, this is how you want to play?

if i have a lightweight lambo, and love driving, and its a cold february day in toronto, i am going to take it out.

im not an idiot thats going to go "hey look there is a pile of snow, i have a lambo, its 4WD, i am going into it", but the fact that on these streets may have random unexpected patches of ice, the extra wheels being driven would make me feel more comfortable.

your lack of first hand experience in dealing with toronto-like weather really shows. you don't take the snow or whatever head-on so don't make it sound like that is what i implied, because it isn't. it is having it on the side that may be of use to some people.

I´m about to drop a bomb here, but I have my flame suit on:

4WD is an evolutionary remanent. It is no longer needed at all in this day and age where electronic driver´s aids have matured so much.

You can have a snow mode in a Ferrari - why not in this?

Soloracer
03-02-2009, 03:23 PM
who cares if its four wheel drive, its gonna be much faster then the standard car and most people and magazines say it drives like its rear wheel anyway...

Ferrer
03-02-2009, 03:41 PM
I´m about to drop a bomb here, but I have my flame suit on:

4WD is an evolutionary remanent. It is no longer needed at all in this day and age where electronic driver´s aids have matured so much.

You can have a snow mode in a Ferrari - why not in this?
And even so, what really makes a difference are appropiate tires. Furthermore in a sportscar or a supercar I can't see any advantages to having four wheel drive. If anything it adds unnecessary weight and complexity.

And also this is a Lamborghini. Lamborghinis shouldn't be tame and controlled. They should scare you to death.

NicFromLA
03-02-2009, 03:44 PM
First off, I agree with the principle stated by James May: The winner is all of us who get to look at it or put a poster of it on our walls, the loser is the guy who's stuck driving it and has to pay for that 'privilege.'

In terms of AWD, most engineers say that unless you have all-season or winter tires, AWD doesn't do much in bad weather. I know a few people who live in the Northeast who have second sets of wheels for their Carrera 4s and 911 Turbos. I wonder how much an extra set of wheels for this car costs?

f6fhellcat13
03-02-2009, 05:27 PM
I have to agree with Ferrer, I was hoping this would be the LPXYZ-2.
Here in temperate climes there is not need for the extra weight, and I figure that a Lambo driver can afford another car. Not only that, but I feel like it negates the purpose of a supercar to have all the mollycoddling features that an old-world-order supercar would never have.
Maybe times have changed. If so, **** the times.

:p

culver
03-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Can the name be any longer?

lightweight
03-02-2009, 06:11 PM
the car's design language is split into two:

On the one hand I see the original lines of the car and as an add-on I see the Reventon-style front intakes along with the similarlt styled engine cover.

As much as I like the Reventon angular influence, I must say that the car is divided between these styles.

On the plus-side, I am sure that the Murcielago replacement will feature this influence from the onset of the design process, so I don't think that it will be an add-on.

Equinox
03-02-2009, 07:04 PM
I do like the style. I prefer the look of the older supercars, but I can appreciate the new 'look' as well. (We don't really have a choice anyways:) )

The 4WD has it's goods and bads. But I am not getting into that.

I do agree about the name though. These new designers etc. Are getting crazy with their name choices. Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 SuperVeloce - is a tongue full. Pretty soon, it will take up a whole paragraph to say these new names. The next one should be called.. "2009 Lamborghini Murcielago LM-V12-680-6-abcdefghijklmnop- superduper, you wish you had this car, 300-ZX-Michelin-XC90." :)

ruim20
03-03-2009, 03:20 AM
Well, the 4wd is a let down, just another evolution of the Murc, a shame, i was really hoping for a mad true Lambo rwd, do you guys think it will still happen, or is this an Audi discipline factor?

Ferrer
03-03-2009, 03:25 AM
As long as the germans are in charge I doubt it'll happen.

It just would be too exciting for them.

IBrake4Rainbows
03-03-2009, 03:57 AM
I cannot believe such a vehicle, with such power, styling and the Prancing bull badge, is considered boring by you people.

Seriously, get some perspective.

It's all relative, I suppose ;)

F1_Master
03-03-2009, 07:32 AM
Well, the 4wd is a let down, just another evolution of the Murc, a shame, i was really hoping for a mad true Lambo rwd, do you guys think it will still happen, or is this an Audi discipline factor?
This is rumored to be the last actual Murcielago model being built, so I find it unlikely we'll see another. Right now, the R-GT is about as close you'll get to a RWD Lamborghini from the factory.

However, as someone else mentioned, these cars already drive as if they were RWD, so I don't see the big issue. They're still capable of scaring the crap out of you; I remember seeing a man pass out at the track right after he told the driver to push it as much as possible.

Four wheel drive, paddle-shift... It's not exactly the way to go about building a lightweight special, even by German standards. On the plus side, it looks fab and will probably go very fast. I do however wish that we could go back to the days when photoshopped sketches were distinguishable from photoshopped photos...
There is a 6-speed option.

Pando
03-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I know a few people who live in the Northeast who have second sets of wheels for their Carrera 4s and 911 Turbos.I can't think of anyone I know of in a country with proper winters that *don't* have two sets of tires in a car that they use year around. In fact in the Nordic countries, it's the law.

Here on UCP we've had the AWD debates over and over again, and I'm still a firm believer that yes, AWD can help significantly in slippery conditions.

HOWEVER

I've never heard anyone would consider these things when buying a quarter mil super car. Who's ever even seen an (Italian, 911 don't count) super car driven in the snow by it's owner?

And if yes, I'd assume that the speeds were quite close to crawling.

When it's winter all you need for fun is a functioning handbrake and/or RWD, not a 600bhp+ monster.

So, I'll give you a € for every person that buys this car because AWD is better in cold temperatures.

capone
03-04-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm very disappointed with Lambo's at the moment. They have brought out too many variations of the same car. This includes the Gallardo in which I've lost count.

If you believe the goss that the Murcielago will be replaced with a "replacement" model shortly, what's the point in buying this one?

I'm sure this car will drive like a dream but too many variations of the same car is not the way to go IMO. I'd rather have Lambo come out with a "replacement" model.

RacingManiac
03-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Wouldn't this be continuing the trend of every Lambo model in the last 20+ years? How long has Diablo been around, or how long as Countach been around? They used to have just one car...

Don't see how that's different from their "usual practice"....

Ferrer
03-04-2009, 03:09 PM
And bringing the most performing car at the end of the life cycle isn't unusual either.

f6fhellcat13
03-04-2009, 05:22 PM
I've never heard anyone would consider these things when buying a quarter mil super car. Who's ever even seen an (Italian, 911 don't count) super car driven in the snow by it's owner?

And if yes, I'd assume that the speeds were quite close to crawling.

When it's winter all you need for fun is a functioning handbrake and/or RWD, not a 600bhp+ monster.

So, I'll give you a € for every person that buys this car because AWD is better in cold temperatures.

YouTube - Fifth Gear Maserati MC12 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCm31-SqIjk)

I don't accept payment in Euros, please pay me 1.0 x 10^10 Zimbabwean Dollars.

2ndclasscitizen
03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
I cannot believe such a vehicle, with such power, styling and the Prancing bull badge, is considered boring by you people.

Seriously, get some perspective.

It's all relative, I suppose ;)

I'm with Reginald on this one.

rfhphoto73
03-04-2009, 07:37 PM
since I will never drive one i could careless if its awd. i just think it looks cool. :)

cmcpokey
03-04-2009, 09:36 PM
since I will never drive one i could careless if its awd. i just think it looks cool. :)

well stated.

LTSmash
03-04-2009, 10:33 PM
I side with Ferrer on all issues.

I mentioned this in an other thread regaurding the car but I'll say it again... someone tell Lamborghini to go back to making hardcore Diablo's.

Ferrer
03-05-2009, 01:45 AM
well stated.
What if we get to drive one? :)

LeonOfTheDead
03-05-2009, 04:37 AM
Wouldn't this be continuing the trend of every Lambo model in the last 20+ years? How long has Diablo been around, or how long as Countach been around? They used to have just one car...

Don't see how that's different from their "usual practice"....

rumors want the car replaced in a couple of years though.

P4g4nite
03-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Wow, before I read this thread I thought, naively, Lamborghini has refined it's Murci again and brought more speed, more extreme looks and more excitement.

But now I can totally understand how they are just pissing in my cornflakes. This is nothing but a re badged A6 Quattro.

Pando
03-05-2009, 01:29 PM
YouTube - Fifth Gear Maserati MC12 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCm31-SqIjk)

I don't accept payment in Euros, please pay me 1.0 x 10^10 Zimbabwean Dollars.I was thinking about that report when I wrote my post actually.

Still, don't think anyone of us was there and I don't think there are many of us who've ever seen anything remotely similar in real life.

But as I said in my post, the € I'd be paying out was for people making the choice to buy the cars based on the driven wheels in regard to cold weather.

Rasmus
03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
I can't think of anyone I know of in a country with proper winters that *don't* have two sets of tires in a car that they use year around. In fact in the Nordic countries, it's the law.

Not true. Not in Denmark. However, most people do switch from all-year/summer tires to dedicated winter tires. When I had the E46 I didn't.

Anyway, even around these parts there's still quite a few people chosing the X 3-series over the regular RWD one. I know it's far from a supercar, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually gave an AWD supercar a second thought simply because it was AWD.

As a matter of fact, a Danish acquaintance of mine currently living in Sweden opted for an AWD Gallardo over an F430 amongst other things because he didn't want to garage it over the winter. The customer base for supercars are actually more diverse than one might initially think. It's not always just about the passion.

I'm just saying it happens.

Pando
03-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Not true. Not in Denmark. However, most people do switch from all-year/summer tires to dedicated winter tires. When I had the E46 I didn't.You Danes... well it is in Finland, Sweden and ... Fred? and from what I've read at least in parts of Canada too.

In Finland winter tires are obligatory three months of the year regardless of the weather and can/need be used throughout the year when the weather calls for it.

Even in Germany they've enforced a law to use winter tires in vaguely explained "wintry conditions", I'm surprised to hear it isn't in DK.

Anyway, even around these parts there's still quite a few people chosing the X 3-series over the regular RWD one. I know it's far from a supercar, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually gave an AWD supercar a second thought simply because it was AWD.
That, to me, is perfectly understandable.

IMO it also explains why Audis are so popular in the North. I know personally people choosing RS Audi's in front of its rivals because of their AWD for winter driving. But even those are a world apart from the Italian supercars.

But...

As a matter of fact, a Danish acquaintance of mine currently living in Sweden opted for an AWD Gallardo over an F430 amongst other things because he didn't want to garage it over the winter. The customer base for supercars are actually more diverse than one might initially think. It's not always just about the passion.

I'm just saying it happens....apparently there are always exceptions. 1-0, give me his bank account #.

...although seeing he has the finance to ruin a Gallardo by driving it in the winter, I don't really think he needs my €.

LotusLocost
03-05-2009, 02:41 PM
You Danes... well it is in Finland, Sweden and ... Fred?

Yes..