PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari 599XX (and Evoluzione) 2010-2011

nopassn
03-03-2009, 05:30 AM
599XX

While based on the 599 GTB Fiorano with the same transaxle layout and engine type, this prototype is an extreme track car. Ferrari's engineers have carried out extensive work on the engine's combustion chambers and inlet and exhaust tracts. These modifications, combined with the fact that internal attrition has been reduced and the maximum revs have been boosted to 9,000 rpm, helped achieve the target power output of 700 hp at 9,000 rpm. Particular attention was also paid to cutting the weight of the engine unit components. This was achieved both by optimising forms - as in the new crankshaft - and adopting exclusive materials, as in the carbon-fibre used for the intake plenums. A new gearbox shift strategy cuts overall gearchange times to 60 ms.

The 599XX is characterised by an innovative electronic concept called the "High Performance Dynamic Concept" which has been designed to get the maximum performance from the car by managing the combination of the car's mechanical limits with the potential of its electronic controls. The mechanical and electronic systems work together to get the maximum performance from the car under extreme high performance driving, for consistent lap times. The sporty handling has been improved thanks to the adoption of second generation SCM suspension system. Track usage is also made easier thanks to the new "virtual car engineer", a screen in the car that provides a real-time indication of the vehicle's efficiency.

The 599XX's aerodynamics were honed in numerous wind tunnel test sessions with the result that the car now boasts 280 kg of downforce at 200 km/h (630 kg at 300 km/h). The front underside of the body is completely faired-in and the vents that channel hot air from the engine bay have been moved to the bonnet.

The "Actiflow" system increases downforce and/or cuts drag depending on the car's trim cornering conditions, courtesy of the use of a porous material in the diffuser and two fans in the boot which channel the air flow from under the car out through two grilles next to the tail-lights. Winglets have been added to the rear buttresses to increase downforce. while synthetic jets have also been incorporated into the rear of the car to control and smooth the air flow and to reduce drag.
Ferrari's engineers have also used F1-derived "doughnuts" which partly cover the brake discs and wheel rim. These have the dual function of improving both aerodynamics and brake cooling.

In terms of the bodywork, composites and carbon-fibre have been widely used and the engineers drew on their experience in working with aluminium to reach the weight target. The development of increasingly high-performance materials has also benefited the carbon-ceramic material braking system. The brake pads are now made from carbon-fibre which means that the calipers are smaller whilst guaranteeing the same efficiency. The new racing carbon ceramic braking system also delivers shorter braking distances and is generally more efficient due to the weight saving.

The 599XX comes with slick tyres (29/67 R19 Front and 31/71 R19 Rear) specifically developed to maximise stability in cornering and increase lateral acceleration. They are fitted to 19 x 11J wheel rims at the front and 19 x 12J at the rear.

switters78
03-03-2009, 05:57 AM
This thing is sick...

It makes me glad that Ferrari is making cars like this, while Lambo, Aston and Porsche (whom I all like, by the way) are compromising with sedans.

Ferrari's not for everyone, but there's only one...

LeonOfTheDead
03-03-2009, 08:40 AM
I posted the news somewhere else, but this thread will have much more views, so here is the update:
this, obviously, is the 599 version of the Fxx car, so it's merely a laboratory, or a toy, for the track, which a handful of rich customers will buy.
at the moment Ferrari is working also on another two projects based on the 599 car:
-the restyling (nothing exteriorly impressive, a la 550 and 575M)
-the Light version.

Now, for those of you familiar with Ferrari's codenames, Light was the designation of the car lately known as the 430 Scuderia, so expect a Scuderia version even of the 599.

For as regards a proper racing version of the 599, I'm not pretty sure of its existence anymore, since the car I knew as the race version, turned out being this, the 599XX (codename 599XX, not F141XX).

For as regards the GraTurismo, there will be both a Cup car and a GT4 car.
Tests are proceeding well so far on the only prototype.

W.R.
03-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Hmmm, looks a little "rich boy wants to be a tuner" if you ask me, but then again, nobody was, and damn, I wish I was friends with the CEO. I thought side exit exhaust pipes behind the front wheels would have been the order of the day, though.

Reason
03-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Ferrari 599XX #1

Reason
03-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Ferrari 599XX #2

Reason
03-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Ferrari 599XX #3

Reason
03-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Ferrari 599XX #4

Reason
03-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Ferrari 599XX #5

LeonOfTheDead
03-04-2009, 07:18 AM
last update: Ferrari isn't working on a racing 599, the car I knew as the GT version is this one, sorry for the fuzz.
Even the racing version of the upcoming F142 (or F430 replacement) is still only on paper.
GranTurismo Trofeo/GT4 progressing well, with a limited budget though (thanks Fiat).

Ferrer
03-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks Fiat they are still alive.

Cutting back the racing budget in the current economic conditions does make sense.

LeonOfTheDead
03-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks Fiat they are still alive.

Cutting back the racing budget in the current economic conditions does make sense.

half yes and half no.
yes, Fiat saved Maserati, trough Ferrari.
yes, cutting on racing programs is a good way to save a lot of money.
no, spending just a few of money on a race car is simply a waste, it won't be competitive (considering the GT4 championship, not the one model series) and therefore it won't be a good ad, if not an ad at all.
I would say how much money they are allow to spend on the design of the prototype, but it's a too sensible information. Surely, you would be like this: :eek::eek::eek: for how much it's a small figure.

Ferrer
03-04-2009, 08:03 AM
Well yes, but I doubt many potential Maserati owners know about the FIA GT4 championship. Heck, even I don't! Therefore it doesn't make much marketing sense to invest a large amount of money into the GT4 GranTurismo.

On the other hand, investing little money they have the chance to say that Maserati is racing, as well as have something for the (few) gentlemen drivers that want to race a Maserati. And that's good for marketing.

LeonOfTheDead
03-04-2009, 08:12 AM
Well yes, but I doubt many potential Maserati owners know about the FIA GT4 championship. Heck, even I don't! Therefore it doesn't make much marketing sense to invest a large amount of money into the GT4 GranTurismo.

On the other hand, investing little money they have the chance to say that Maserati is racing, as well as have something for the (few) gentlemen drivers that want to race a Maserati. And that's good for marketing.

the Trofeo should be enough for that.
consider that in GT4 cars like the KTM and the Donkevoort are racing (and winning, only the KTM though), so building a GT4 version of the GranTurismo is completely senseless.
incredibly, they already raised some orders from a couple of teams, but I don't know for which kind of usage. as I said, such a big and heavy car is hopeless against those small and light rockets. Save the money, focus on the Trofeo and invest them on a road version of it, which they are doing or are considering doing at the very least ( road version of the Trofeo I mean).

Ferrer
03-04-2009, 08:17 AM
the Trofeo should be enough for that.
consider that in GT4 cars like the KTM and the Donkevoort are racing (and winning, only the KTM though), so building a GT4 version of the GranTurismo is completely senseless.
incredibly, they already raised some orders from a couple of teams, but I don't know for which kind of usage. as I said, such a big and heavy car is hopeless against those small and light rockets. Save the money, focus on the Trofeo and invest them on a road version of it, which they are doing or are considering doing at the very least ( road version of the Trofeo I mean).
I think you've already answered yourself. :)

(And I doubt the GT4 car will be much different from the Trofeo)

enzotwinturbo
03-04-2009, 08:39 AM
pure track star

LeonOfTheDead
03-04-2009, 08:43 AM
I think you've already answered yourself. :)

(And I doubt the GT4 car will be much different from the Trofeo)

well, It should, better for them. ;)

LeonOfTheDead
03-04-2009, 09:12 AM
Damn, I forgot to say: there is a small chance the Scuderia version of the 599 will bring back the "GTO" moniker.

Dino Scuderia
03-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Damn, I forgot to say: there is a small chance the Scuderia version of the 599 will bring back the "GTO" moniker.

Or maybe Vanderstink has already killed that notion.

LeonOfTheDead
03-05-2009, 04:53 AM
I'm here to destroy my reputation (do I have one?!):

yes, there is a racing version of the 599 under development.
don't know its stage, don't know if it's progressing, don't know which category, don't know anything, but it exists.

Dino Scuderia
03-05-2009, 05:11 AM
You do have a reputation but we don't know its stage, don't know if it's progressing, don't know which category, don't know anything, but it exists.;)

LeonOfTheDead
03-05-2009, 05:18 AM
You do have a reputation but we don't know its stage, don't know if it's progressing, don't know which category, don't know anything, but it exists.;)

I'll bring some more info as soon as I will get them :p

Ferrer
03-05-2009, 05:19 AM
I'll bring some more info as soon as I will get them :p
About the car or your reputation? :D

LeonOfTheDead
03-05-2009, 05:22 AM
About the car or your reputation? :D

the reputation of course, I need a fourth level security password to have access to the files about it ;)

Dino Scuderia
03-05-2009, 05:27 AM
There is a rumor of a Ferrari hybrid race car...or that a hybrid power plant has been tested in the 599xx.

Heard anything on that?

LeonOfTheDead
03-05-2009, 05:53 AM
There is a rumor of a Ferrari hybrid race car...or that a hybrid power plant has been tested in the 599xx.

Heard anything on that?

nope, and I actually doubt it.
simply because Magneti Marelli is still developing its hybrid system so it wouldn't make any sense.
at the very best they just put it on a random 599 they had laying around (more than what you would expect) and see what happens.to my knowledge, they didn't, but I will check.

Kitdy
03-05-2009, 08:14 AM
the reputation of course, I need a fourth level security password to have access to the files about it ;)

How do you get access to all this stuff? Your buddy?

LeonOfTheDead
03-17-2009, 06:55 AM

Heard anything on that?

sorry for the late answer
So, it's true they "tested" something in a 599 mule. I think it was a Kers system or something similar but still very basic. It wasn't something specifically designed or developed before, just a "let's see if it fits" experiment.
Don't expect the upcoming F142 to adopt a kers system.

Errata corrige: the 599XX codename is actually 141XX

How do you get access to all this stuff? Your buddy?

yep, aka deepthroat :D.

Ferrer
03-17-2009, 08:07 AM
Forgive me for asking this, but is Kers like BMW's Efficient Dynamics, or is it different?

LeonOfTheDead
03-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Forgive me for asking this, but is Kers like BMW's Efficient Dynamics, or is it different?

correct me if I'm wrong.

BMW's system just collect energy to power electrical auxiliary systems, such A/C, sat nav and the likes.
Ferrari's system should be, afaik and considering what they declared, a sort of kers, or even something like the system used in a Prius: you collect energy to power the car itself, not the auxiliaries.

you have a better mileage/emissions in both cases, but I would say the later is even better for this reason:

with the Efficient Dynamics, you use the energy you managed to recover to power auxiliary systems, but you can only guess how much power they are going to require. therefore the engine is still supposed to power them, but in a variable ratio, which goes from zero, in case the power recovered is enough, to a certain quantity, which could even be the maximal one if you don't have recovered energy anymore.

adopting the same power you recovered to power directly the car would lead the engine to power the auxiliaries in every moment, but in a more constant way, knowing which is both the minimal power those system can require and the maximal too. In this way you can design the parts in a better and more precise way, and avoid variations of loads, which aren't generally a good thing in first place.

cmcpokey
03-17-2009, 08:19 AM

its just a fancy name for a hybrid. using regenerative braking to power ancillaries. In F1 guise they will have additional motors and be able to use it for a maximum amount of time per lap.

Ferrer
03-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks chaps. :)

LeonOfTheDead
03-19-2009, 08:25 AM
GT4 European Cup - Team News (http://www.gt4cup.com/newsitem.php?key=122) proof

wrong thread I know

Dino Scuderia
07-27-2009, 05:31 AM
599xx update.....gawd it's sexy.

Looks 10 times better without the black roof.

Ferrari 599XX testing at Maranello - Worldcarfans (http://www.worldcarfans.com/109072420655/ferrari-599xx-testing-at-maranello)

LeonOfTheDead
07-27-2009, 05:57 AM
I happen to like quite a lot the new front end.

Dino Scuderia
01-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Here's one in a different color, finally.

Dino Scuderia
02-03-2010, 03:47 PM
7 of them turned loose for shakedown at Valencia....Massa on hand for PR.

wwgkd
02-03-2010, 09:07 PM
7 of them turned loose for shakedown at Valencia....Massa on hand for PR.

Front brakes look like they're glowing red, but I thought the ceramic rotors didn't do that? :confused:

Dino Scuderia
02-11-2010, 05:29 AM
A couple beneath the skin shots from Autocar.UK.

Dino Scuderia
02-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Here's a tasty vid to go with it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHjeW37Nrpk

NSXType-R
02-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Here's a tasty vid to go with it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHjeW37Nrpk

Is it just me or does it seem like he wasn't even pushing it at all?

Sounds amazing, looks angry.

Dino Scuderia
02-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like he wasn't even pushing it at all?

Sounds amazing, looks angry.

If you read the Autocar article the tester says:

"Yes, the electronics in this car are specifically intended as performance parts, not safety features. Switch them off and you will not be able to lap a circuit as fast as you can with them on, not even if your name is Fernando Alonso. You might just be able to match the system for a couple of corners if you fluke the perfect sequence of brake, turn-in, balance power, apply throttle at the exit.

But over an entire lap, no; the electronics will win every time. This is not the case with any of the company’s production cars, all of which are quicker with their TC and stability systems switched off."

NSXType-R
02-11-2010, 07:27 PM
If you read the Autocar article the tester says:

"Yes, the electronics in this car are specifically intended as performance parts, not safety features. Switch them off and you will not be able to lap a circuit as fast as you can with them on, not even if your name is Fernando Alonso. You might just be able to match the system for a couple of corners if you fluke the perfect sequence of brake, turn-in, balance power, apply throttle at the exit.

But over an entire lap, no; the electronics will win every time. This is not the case with any of the company’s production cars, all of which are quicker with their TC and stability systems switched off."

That's some weird electronic system. So does the system "know" what track you're on and how the track looks like and cuts power whenever it wants?

So pretty much it knows when you should be pushing all out and when you should be braking, steering etc. and unless you're doing it all properly it won't give power to you?

Am I getting this right?

That sounds like HAL 3000.

Dino Scuderia
02-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Still way more exciting than a hybrid GT3.

Gaben
02-12-2010, 07:55 AM
this is a great car !

f6fhellcat13
02-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Surely a hybrid that a mere human can drive is more interesting than some normal-ICE automaton.

RacingManiac
02-12-2010, 02:48 PM

Not if the hybrid GT3 can do brake and drive torque vectoring....

Dino Scuderia
02-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Not if the hybrid GT3 can do brake and drive torque vectoring....

Vector, Victor.

Ferrer
02-12-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm sorry chaps but neither is exciting. Unless you are a nerd in a white coat with big glasses that doesn't know what a woman is.

Kitdy
02-12-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm sorry chaps but neither is exciting. Unless you are a nerd in a white coat with big glasses that doesn't know what a woman is.

What if you are homosexual/asexual?

Also, the 599XX is kinda cool, but the lame thing about it is it doesn't actually - you know - race against other cars.

The hybrid GT3 bothers me but I guess that's where racing is going, so in a way, props to Porsche for jumping ahead of the curve.

NSXType-R
02-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah, the whole traction control automation thingy is really scary.

Driver- Man, I really really want to slide the rear out in this corner...

599XX- "I'm sorry, I can't let you do that."

Driver- ....."WTF...?"

I mean, doesn't that suck the fun out of, you know, everything?

Dino Scuderia
02-13-2010, 05:31 AM
Yeah, the whole traction control automation thingy is really scary.

Driver- Man, I really really want to slide the rear out in this corner...

599XX- "I'm sorry, I can't let you do that."

Driver- ....."WTF...?"

I mean, doesn't that suck the fun out of, you know, everything?

You can see in the video that it isn't like that...he drifted on corner exit a couple times.

And you can turn certain systems off...you just won't be as fast.

LeonOfTheDead
02-14-2010, 08:32 AM
What if you are homosexual/asexual?

Also, the 599XX is kinda cool, but the lame thing about it is it doesn't actually - you know - race against other cars.

The hybrid GT3 bothers me but I guess that's where racing is going, so in a way, props to Porsche for jumping ahead of the curve.

props to Williams actually.
Porsche is once again a market whore.

Dino Scuderia
04-13-2010, 04:18 AM
The Corse Cliente garage.

Dino Scuderia
04-13-2010, 04:20 AM
Corse Cliente garage #2

Dino Scuderia
04-13-2010, 04:22 AM
Corse Cliente garage #3

Dino Scuderia
04-14-2010, 04:10 AM
Miller Motorsports Park USA debut #1

Dino Scuderia
04-14-2010, 04:13 AM
Miller Motorsports Park USA debut #2

Dino Scuderia
04-14-2010, 04:14 AM
Miller Motorsports Park USA debut #3

Dino Scuderia
04-14-2010, 04:17 AM
Miller Motorsports Park USA debut #4

xers
04-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Thank you dino for sharing this, the corse cliente garage is amazing!

LTSmash
04-17-2010, 12:59 AM
You know I almost went to that event. I believe it was during a Challenge race. They were supposed to have a few older Ferrari F1 cars hit the track too if I remember the advertisement correctly.

Too bad I missed out. :(

SCUDERIA-FERRARI
05-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Breaking the 7 minute mark at the ring...

SCUDERIA-FERRARI
05-13-2010, 01:07 PM
more from valencia

SCUDERIA-FERRARI
05-13-2010, 01:09 PM
homestead ferrari challenge 1

SCUDERIA-FERRARI
05-13-2010, 01:12 PM
homestead ferrari challenge 2

SCUDERIA-FERRARI
05-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Vallelunga testing

Ecnelis
11-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Ferrari 599XX Evo

Bologna, 1st December 2011 – The 36th edition of the Bologna Motor Show provides the venue for the unveiling of an evolution of the extreme, non-homologated sports berlinetta, the 599XX. Ferrari has introduced a package of performance-enhancing technical features available to clients participating in the track-based research and development programme for the 2012-2013 seasons.

Already the fruit of the very finest Ferrari road car and Formula 1-derived technology, the 599XX now features improved chassis dynamics thanks to an active aerodynamic package integrated with the vehicles’ electronic control systems, and the adoption of new Pirelli tyres. The car is also more powerful than before (750 CV) and weighs 35 kg less.

The key to the aero package is the active rear wing design which represents a new aerodynamic concept called ‘opening gap’. The wing features two flaps, with profiles similar to those used in Formula 1, which rotate electronically to adjust the downforce between the front and rear axles in relation to vehicle speed and the manoeuvre being effected. The result of this concept is better performance in cornering.

The 599XX active rear wing is actuated automatically according to specific parameters which are integrated with the car’s other control functions (ESP, ABS, SCM and F1-Trac). As a result of this integration, all the electronic controls have been suitably recalibrated. The ‘opening gap’ system logic is based on the following parameters:

- steering wheel angle
- longitudinal acceleration
- lateral acceleration
- vehicle speed

The new aerodynamics package for the 599XX also includes a modified front splitter and a new rear diffuser featuring a larger surface area and redesigned fences and foot-plates. Total downforce at 200 km/h is boosted to 330 kg when the flaps are open and 440 kg in the closed configuration.

The adoption of side exhausts allowed the engineers to increase engine power by 20 CV to 750 CV (again at 9000 rpm), while maximum torque has been increased to 700 Nm. When combined with a final gear ratio that’s slightly shorter to improve acceleration on technical, medium- to high-speed tracks, the result is that the car laps Fiorano in just 1’15”.

The Ferrari stand at the Bologna Motor Show is devoted entirely to its racing activities and features the 458 Challenge, the mid-rear V8 berlinetta derived from the 458 Italia and Ferrari’s fifth model for its single-make championship. This series, now in its 19th year, will span three continents – Europe, North America and Asia-Pacific.

Also on the stand is the 458 Italia GT2 fielded by AF Corse. This is the car that won the Drivers’ and Teams’ title in the Le Mans Series and the Teams’ title in the Intercontinental Le Mans Cup, and also contributed to Ferrari’s taking the Manufacturers’ title in the respective championships. The line-up of track-only Prancing Horse models is completed by the 458 Italia GT3 which made a superb FIA GT3 debut by winning the Drivers’ title, and the FXX, Ferrari’s “laboratory” car and one of the most technologically advanced non-competitive models in the world.

On December 3rd, the Show hosts three events featuring the Prancing Horse, two of which will see no less than 16 cars from the Italian and European Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli series taking part in the traditional end-of-year challenge.

The extensive programme planned for the competition arena will culminate in the traditional Scuderia Ferrari salute with an exhibition of the F10, the single-seater with which Ferrari competed in the 2010 Formula 1 season. The car will have a very special guest driver on this occasion: Giancarlo Fisichella.

Dino Scuderia
11-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Here's some real pics.

Duell
05-02-2013, 01:56 PM
599xx Evoluzione :D

jcp123
05-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Nice.

Duell
04-28-2020, 12:50 PM
Another 599XX :D