PDA

View Full Version : Bathurst 1000 here till 2024

fpv_gtho
05-13-2004, 12:22 AM
AVESCO Announces Most Significant Deal In Bathurst History

Release Date: 13/05/2004

The long-term future of one of the world’s most prestigious motor racing events, the Bathurst 1000, has been assured through a 20-year deal between the Australian Vee Eight Supercar Company (AVESCO) and the Bathurst City Council.

AVESCO Chairman Tony Cochrane and Bathurst City Council Mayor Kath Knowles signed the deal at the historic Mount Panorama circuit today. From next year, AVESCO Events will promote and manage the race for the ensuing 10 years with an option to continue for a further decade.

It comes hot on the heels of Federal Treasurer Peter Costello announcing that the Commonwealth Government had allocated $10 million in Tuesday’s budget to complete the works at Mount Panorama to make the circuit truly world class and a tourism hub.

The Bathurst event ranks alongside the Melbourne Cup on the world sporting stage.

“This is the most significant deal in the history of the Bob Jane T-Marts Bathurst 1000 and AVESCO,” Mr Cochrane said.

“Bathurst will be added to a growing list of events that AVESCO will promote, a list that now includes Symmons Plains in Tasmania announced last week and the final round of the Championship at Eastern Creek.

“AVESCO Events is now a major component of the V8 Supercar Championship Series and will become a major revenue source for our teams.

“Additionally we are going to China next June and constantly looking to other venues both at home and overseas as the appeal of our sport grows more significantly every year.

“I am equally delighted that the Federal Government has also responded to the hundreds of thousands of Motorsport fans in this country. I would welcome Prime Minister John Howard as the Grand Marshall at our Bathurst 1000 events.”

Cr Knowles acknowledged that the deal would ensure that Bathurst remains the passion of a nation. It coincides with $22.5 million in improvements to the track and facilities.

“The significant investment made by the people of Bathurst and the State Government into the future development of Mount Panorama has paid off,” Cr Knowles said.

“Race teams, sponsors and other key stakeholders can see that the serious commitment being made to bring the race facilities up to a standard that more accurately reflects the reputation of this world class event.”

Cr Knowles said that work on the refurbishments was a fortnight ahead of schedule. The first stage includes 36 pit garages, a new control tower, media centre and corporate suites.

“It will be ready by October,” Cr Knowles said. “There are also many benefits for spectators by improving vantage points around the track with the 170,000 tonnes of earth being moved from pit lane to build mounds at various key points on the circuit.”

MT PANORAMA REDEVELOPMENT - FACT SHEET - May 2004

Current redevelopment plans include a budget of $12.5 million including $10 million from State Government and Council funds.

The result will be:

• New pit complex approx with 368m x 15m deep bays at ground level - approx four times size of old pit bays. Features three phase power, communications, secured back and front, new amenities
• Second level will feature corporate suites with sloped windows, outside viewing areas.
• State-of-the-art unique four storey race control and admin tower
• 400 new campsites created in Pit Paddock
• Upgraded paddock area including staged levelling of the whole area to provide transporter access directly to the rear of the pits and vastly improved underground drainage, sewer, water, power and communications.
• New spectator mounds to be built in The Chase, Hell Corner, McPhillamy Park Sulman & Reid Parks and Pit Straight to provide better viewing of the race action.
• Wider pit lane by 3m
• Three new 2 storey amenities blocks at the rear of the complex for female, male and disable members of the public
• Three storey lift
• The roof is capable of accommodating, additional corporate viewing/hospitality and the big screens at race time

The $10 million in Commonwealth funding will enable:

• Completion of media centre and podium
• Improvements to overtrack pedestrian access
• Provision of all-year round tourist entrance to complex
• Construction of first floor access ramp
• Extension of corporate/all year round function rooms
• Demolition of remaining antiquated buildings at the start of pit straight, as all functions can be transferred to the new building
• Upgrading of the top of the mount to provide year round tourist facilities and new amenities for race goers
• Commencement of preliminary stages of drawcard tourist attraction development on top of mount (will enable involvement by private sector)
• Commencement of preliminary stages of Harris Park and grandstand, function room redevelopment, (will enable involvement by private sector)

motorsportnerd
05-13-2004, 05:21 PM
Saw the news. It is good news.
Don't know I'd rely on AVESCO still been around in 20 years time though.
Twenty years is a long time in racing. The Bathurst 1000 has changed a lot in the last twenty years, and will change equally dramatically in the next twenty years. Twenty years from now, the Bathurst 1000 may not even be for V8s (yeah, I know, thats scarilege - but don't count on V8s being there for ever).
Anyway, it secures the immediate future the Bathurst 1000. And whatever happens to AVESCO long term, the Bathurst 1000 will continue in one form or another as long as there are cars and motor racing.

Matra et Alpine
05-13-2004, 05:22 PM
The good news is it gives me 20 years to get my arse in gear and get sown to see it - and blag a bed from our Aussie UCPers :)

fpv_gtho
05-14-2004, 03:31 AM
yes well just dont leave it till 2023 before you make your way out to Bathurst :p

well i think as long as theres motorsport in australia theres going to be racing at Bathurst, whether its the 1000 dies out and the 24hr race becomes the main event or the V8 Supercars turn into Turbo6 racing or something, who really knows, but the vast majority of australians wont let go of the race without a damned good fight

motorsportnerd
05-14-2004, 04:46 AM
but the vast majority of australians wont let go of the race without a damned good fight

You're right there - that's why AVESCO's Tony Cochrane was talking a load of crap with his threat to take the race overseas....

Now that the Bathurst 1000 is going ahead this year, lets hope the Bathurst 24 hour can be saved.

Falcon500
05-14-2004, 05:17 AM
The good news is it gives me 20 years to get my arse in gear and get sown to see it - and blag a bed from our Aussie UCPers :)
Well Matra If I have some where to live your welcome to it...downside i live in canberra quite a distance from Bathurst...prehaps 20 year planning and we could camp at the 1000 and then come back for the 24 hour race...of course i think itll be good todo the same in pommy land...impress me withyourmost protigious race :) not a fan of pommy touring cars but itll still be fun :)

fpv_gtho
05-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Well Falc, whilst you'd be a good 4 hours away from Bathurst, its only a hour and a half's drive west for me :p

Matra et Alpine
05-14-2004, 09:06 AM
Well Matra If I have some where to live your welcome to it...downside i live in canberra quite a distance from Bathurst...prehaps 20 year planning and we could camp at the 1000 and then come back for the 24 hour race...of course i think itll be good todo the same in pommy land...impress me withyourmost protigious race :) not a fan of pommy touring cars but itll still be fun :)
THe BTCC lost their way for a few years, maybe getting back to decent cars and araces, but all the real characters have gone :(
First would be NorthWest 200 in Ireland - the most awesome massed start motorbike road race in the world and one of the best 'crack' the world over :)
Then over to Scotland for BTCC at Knockhill.
GT cars at Donnington
Isle of Man TT week - motorbikes again, but a great week-long party :)
Something at Oulton park, then Brands the following week.
6 weeks in the UK. Done deal :)
Oh and for the mega-rich could fit in F1 at boring Silverstone if you must !!

PS: Liking some of the Aussie tracks in Toca Race Driver 2. Maybe I need to do a similar length stint down-under and get a few parties in as well :)