PDA

View Full Version : The Blackhawk Collection

cmcpokey
03-08-2009, 11:47 PM
The Blackhawk Museum is one of the more prominent car collections in the United States. Located in Danville, CA, they have a constantly shifting stock of Brass Era to Modern cars. There are several cars that are permanent in the museum, and quite a few more that are permanent in the collection, but travel to various concourses throughout the year.

I have regular access to the museum, visiting every month or 2, so I will be using this thread as a repository for miscellaneous cars that i don't want to start a specific thread for. I hope you all enjoy, and if you have any shots from this fantastic museum please feel free to add them.

BTW, I apologize in advance for the dodgy quality of the shots. The lighting is horrible, and there is a strict no tripod rule.

cmcpokey
03-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Bugatti Type 15, 1913

A development of the Type 13, this had a 1327cc 8 valve Inline 4 engine, producing approximately 15 horsepower. 1913 was the first year of the oval shaped grill that would eventually turn into the Horseshoe shaped grill we are all familiar with.

cmcpokey
03-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Alfa-Romeo 8C-2300 Figoni Tourer, 1933

This car was bodied by Joseph Figoni, famed french coachbuilder of Figoni et Falaschi fame. This is one of a small number of Alfas built by Figoni, who had also bodied the 8C-2300 that won the 1932 Le Mans 24 hour race. These cars do not carry the traditional build plate found on other Figoni cars.

cmcpokey
03-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Packard Model 1609, Kellner Torpedo Cabriolet, 1938

This car is a case of an older coachbuilt car having been stripped of its body and placed on a new chassis. This body was most likely built on a Renault from the mid-20s, then put on the new Packard chassis in 1938. This chassis contains the 473 cubic inch Packard V-12, producing 175 horsepower, and is also adorned with a Lalique crystal hood ornament.

cmcpokey
03-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Lagonda V-12 Drophead Coupe, 1939

A proper Lagonda.

Producing 180 horsepower, this cars 273 cubic inch V-12 was designed by W.O. Bentley

cmcpokey
03-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Maserati 5000 GT

cmcpokey
03-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Ferrari 195 Sport Touring Berlinetta, 1950

This is the only car built in this configuration from the factory.

Carozzeria Touring of Milan bodied 30 166 Sports for Ferrari, with only 5 being in the berlinetta form. Of these 5, 4 were fitted originally with the 166 engine but later upgraded to the 195 engine, whereas this car only ever had the 195.

This car raced in the 1950 Le Mans 24 hour race, and took 1st in class and 7th overall in the 1950 Sebring 12 hour race. A stunning car in person, and the photos can not capture the depth of its blue paint. Also, due to the blue, it is nearly impossible to get a photo to turn out.

Ferrer
03-09-2009, 02:09 AM
Excellent cars, excellent thread.

A proper Lagonda.
Indeed. :)

LeonOfTheDead
03-09-2009, 05:34 AM
you managed to take some excellent shots despite the setting. :)
thanks for sharing cmc!

cmcpokey
03-09-2009, 08:48 AM
thanks... and more to come.

Dodge Firearrow II, 1954

Concept car designed bi Virgil Exner and built by Ghia in Turin. This car is build on a stock 119 inch Dodge chassis with a 241 cubic inch, 150 horsepower, Red Ram Hemi. This car traveled around the country, being a feature at all major American car shows in 1954.

cmcpokey
03-09-2009, 08:54 AM
Dodge Firearrow IV, 1954

This car was also designed by Virgil Exner and built by Ghia on a stock chassis and engine. This car was a much more production ready car than the II, with a roof, actual storage spaces, and a windshield designed to be functional.

The interior is my favorite part, with styling out of a 50s Drive-in Cafe.

cmcpokey
03-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Dodge Firebomb, 1955

Another Exner design, this was the prototype for the Dual Ghia. It was introduced to the motoring press at Grosse Point Yacht Club on 28 June 1955. After the cars completion Gene Casaroll, owner of Dual Motor Company, purchased the design and rights to the car and entered it into limited production. This car was also built by Ghia in Turin, and featured a 331 cubic inch Dodge Hemi, as opposed to the Chrysler engine in the production Dual Ghia.

cmcpokey
03-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Porsche 959 Prototype, 1983
From the Shigeru Harada collection of Tokyo

This is the only remaining example of the three 959 prototypes. The other two were destroyed in required crash tests. This car remained in Dr. Porsche's personal collection until 1990 when he sold it to a Japanese collector, and it has remained in Japanese hands ever since.

The car looks very good in person, although the cover on the steering wheel hub is missing. It is parked next to a 1967 911 S race car, which may get a post later on. It was an excellent juxtaposition of old, and not-quite-as-old. both stunning cars in their own right.

cmcpokey
03-09-2009, 09:13 AM
959 Prototype #2

NSXType-R
03-09-2009, 12:07 PM
The Blackhawk Museum is one of the more prominent car collections in the United States. Located in Danville, CA, they have a constantly shifting stock of Brass Era to Modern cars. There are several cars that are permanent in the museum, and quite a few more that are permanent in the collection, but travel to various concourses throughout the year.

I have regular access to the museum, visiting every month or 2, so I will be using this thread as a repository for miscellaneous cars that i don't want to start a specific thread for. I hope you all enjoy, and if you have any shots from this fantastic museum please feel free to add them.

BTW, I apologize in advance for the dodgy quality of the shots. The lighting is horrible, and there is a strict no tripod rule.

Very cool. What lens(es?) were you using? I will be getting the 35mm 1.8 when it comes out at J and R. Did you up the ISO as well? How about monopods?

cmcpokey
03-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Very cool. What lens(es?) were you using? I will be getting the 35mm 1.8 when it comes out at J and R. Did you up the ISO as well? How about monopods?

sigma 18-50, crap lens. need a new one. iso was 800 for a few, but 1600 for most shots. no monopods allowed either.

cmcpokey
03-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Maserati Ghibli

cmcpokey
05-17-2009, 01:55 PM
1934 Delage D8SS (1 of 1)

An evolution of the 4 Liter, straight 8, D8 engine, the SS had 145 horsepower. This car was bodied by Fernandez and Darrin in Paris for the wife of a wealthy Parisian aristocrat. She was known to regularly repaint her car to match different clothing, and the current color was one of her favorites.

Additionally, it is fitted with a crystal Lalique hood ornament, complete with a light underneath, so peacock head would glow as she drove down the Champs-Élysées.

cmcpokey
05-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Delage D8SS Cont.

clutch-monkey
05-17-2009, 06:23 PM
do these get driven on occaison?
some very interesting vehicles, pokey.

cmcpokey
05-17-2009, 06:38 PM
do these get driven on occaison?
some very interesting vehicles, pokey.

some do, some dont. lots of the collection is taken to various concourses throughout the country, others are permanent display vehicles. im pretty sure the hispano hasn't been out of the museum for a long time. its a shame too, because some of these are very stunning cars.

NSXType-R
05-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Just curious, but does Jay Leno have any cars in this collection?

cmcpokey
05-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Just curious, but does Jay Leno have any cars in this collection?

i dont know... for the most part it is a private collection. but there are cars that visit for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. it is possible that leno has cars displayed there occasionally, but i have never seen one.

Kitdy
05-17-2009, 11:13 PM
It is always a shame when you see these beautiful cars not being used for what they were designed for I think. A car in a museum is alright for a while, but it'd also be nice if they were out on the road.

Ferrer
05-18-2009, 01:36 AM
Indeed, having them on display is nice, but they should be driven from time to time.

NSXType-R
05-18-2009, 06:37 AM
i dont know... for the most part it is a private collection. but there are cars that visit for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. it is possible that leno has cars displayed there occasionally, but i have never seen one.

I see. I brought it up because I watch his website's videos, and he always drives his cars.

It is always a shame when you see these beautiful cars not being used for what they were designed for I think. A car in a museum is alright for a while, but it'd also be nice if they were out on the road.

Indeed, having them on display is nice, but they should be driven from time to time.

Yeah, I understand.

Jay Leno always laments that its' almost a double edged sword- the value of the cars saved them from destruction (if they were neglected, etc.), which allowed him to save a couple Deusenbergs, but because of that value some of their new owners are afraid of driving it.

Peloton25
08-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Interesting thread - it's not often you find discussions about the Blackhawk on the web.

I am curious how long you've been visiting the museum and if perhaps you might have been there in the 2001-2002 time frame? During that time period, they had a McLaren F1 road car on display. The car was black and had been fitted with the High Downforce Kit giving it the look of an F1 GTR or LM.

Unfortunately very few photos have surfaced from the time the F1 was there on display, and many are poor in quality due to the low light levels and 'no tripod' rule that you mentioned.

I always figure that it doesn't hurt to ask so that's what I am doing. If not, no big deal and thanks anyway. :)

>8^)
ER

cmcpokey
08-15-2009, 07:22 AM
Interesting thread - it's not often you find discussions about the Blackhawk on the web.

I am curious how long you've been visiting the museum and if perhaps you might have been there in the 2001-2002 time frame? During that time period, they had a McLaren F1 road car on display. The car was black and had been fitted with the High Downforce Kit giving it the look of an F1 GTR or LM.

Unfortunately very few photos have surfaced from the time the F1 was there on display, and many are poor in quality due to the low light levels and 'no tripod' rule that you mentioned.

I always figure that it doesn't hurt to ask so that's what I am doing. If not, no big deal and thanks anyway. :)

>8^)
ER

ive only been going there the last few years. once in 2007, and regularly in the last half of 2008 and 2009. they havent had the McLaren there, and sadly I still havent seen one.

Peloton25
08-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Well it was worth a try. Thanks for the reply.

There is at least one F1 in Monterey this weekend - a silver road car. The owner said it would be at the Quail on Friday. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a red road car in the paddock at the Historics today and there could always be others that will show up in photos later.

They are rather elusive cars, but hopefully you will cross paths with one eventually.

>8^)
ER

cmcpokey
08-15-2009, 12:20 PM
posting from the press room at the historics... i havent seen an F1, doesnt mean one isnt here. The fearless leaders do have some shots of it at the quail, but I was covering Concorso, so none there, (but a lot of tasty other stuff). There is a lot of cool non-racing stuff in the paddock here, including a Veyron, EB110, and Enzo. I'll look for the F1.

henk4
08-15-2009, 06:52 PM
posting from the press room at the historics... i havent seen an F1, doesnt mean one isnt here. The fearless leaders do have some shots of it at the quail, but I was covering Concorso, so none there, (but a lot of tasty other stuff). There is a lot of cool non-racing stuff in the paddock here, including a Veyron, EB110, and Enzo. I'll look for the F1.

There was one F1 in the paddock of the Historics, a Williams FW07....(there was a McLaren F1 at Quail)

cmcpokey
08-15-2009, 06:59 PM
There was one F1 in the paddock of the Historics, a Williams FW07....(there was a McLaren F1 at Quail)

i didnt see that. damn. im amazed you are back to the hotel already. traffic sucked.

henk4
08-15-2009, 07:17 PM
i didnt see that. damn. im amazed you are back to the hotel already. traffic sucked.
it took about 20 minutes to get out of the Salinas gate and that was it.

cargirl1990
08-15-2009, 09:29 PM
i envy you cmc.... good pictures though!

henk4
08-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Well it was worth a try. Thanks for the reply.

There is at least one F1 in Monterey this weekend - a silver road car. The owner said it would be at the Quail on Friday. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a red road car in the paddock at the Historics today and there could always be others that will show up in photos later.

They are rather elusive cars, but hopefully you will cross paths with one eventually.

>8^)
ER
Hi Erik, good to see you drop in from time to time. The silver F1 was at Quail, and I think you will be able to confirm that it is the same car that was in the Pebble Tour a number of years ago....
I could not find one in the paddock of the Historics, and I did my rounds there today. If needed my feet will testify.

Peloton25
08-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Glad to hear you are having fun Pieter! :D

I should be up there too. I was going to make a run up tomorrow for Pebble Beach at least, but even that isn't going to happen now. Probably next year... :(

Anyway, yes - same F1 from 2005, chassis #068. Different owner now - this time from Boston. He will have his new Bertone Mantide on display at Pebble tomorrow - hopefully you'll get a chance to speak to him there. He seems like a great guy and a serious car enthusiast.

They actually drove the Mantide across the USA to get it to Monterey, and the F1 covered a lot of the ground as well under its own power, sometimes ducking into the trailer to keep it under the yearly mileage limitation that our laws impose. The owner's Scud Spider 16M and Ferrari 612 came along as well. :cool:

>8^)
ER