PDA

View Full Version : wheel donut?

04-26-2009, 01:23 PM
What's a wheel donut?
the 599XX has got them, what do they do?

mclaren_crazy
04-26-2009, 01:44 PM
We call the spare tire a donut

Matra et Alpine
04-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Ferrari's engineers have also used F1-derived "doughnuts" which partly cover the brake discs and wheel rim. These have the dual function of improving both aerodynamics and brake cooling .........
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/03/25-ferrari-599xx-live.jpg

04-26-2009, 05:00 PM
thanks
they're spelled donut on the 599XX

coolieman1220
04-26-2009, 05:28 PM
i wonder if they prevent brake dust?

Matra et Alpine
04-27-2009, 02:47 AM
thanks
they're spelled donut on the 599XX
599XX (http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sport%20Cars/Sport_Prototype/Pages/Article_599XX_Ginevra.aspx)
... so for English speakers they have made it clear to spell it the English way.

Granted that in Italian they say " (detti "wheel donuts")"

Am happy to call them donuts if we use all the other Italian terms.
otherwise, looks like Ferrari want them to be doughnuts :)

i wonder if they prevent brake dust?
Should do as the point is to dirent air IN the wheel and then exit with higher velocity. However carbon dust is a bitch as it electrostatically sticks to everything it can find :(

Dino Scuderia
04-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Ferrari brakes are made by Brembo but there isn't anything on their site regarding the Donut. It might be a Ferrari exclusive item.

Matra et Alpine
04-27-2009, 06:22 AM
The doughnut is robably not part of the brake package.
More likely the wheel package OR Ferrari themselves.

Dino Scuderia
04-27-2009, 06:31 AM
Could well be Ferrari's part....but printing 'Wheel Donut' on it does not sound like something Ferrari would do....that sounds like a name chosen for marketing the item itself.

LeonOfTheDead
04-27-2009, 06:47 AM
Could well be Ferrari's part....but printing 'Wheel Donut' on it does not sound like something Ferrari would do....that sounds like a name chosen for marketing the item itself.

giving names to parts is always being an excellent marketing move. Like promoting Corvette's engine codes, among others.

Matra et Alpine
04-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Well they didn't really "name" them more they explained them ?

Online translation of the Italian is
"Finally, were introduced screens of inspiration F1 (these "wheel donuts") that partially carenano disks brakes and the circle with the dual function improve both the aerodynamics that cooling. "

Leon, maybe you can do a better job for us ? :)

LeonOfTheDead
04-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Well they didn't really "name" them more they explained them ?

Online translation of the Italian is
"Finally, were introduced screens of inspiration F1 (these "wheel donuts") that partially carenano disks brakes and the circle with the dual function improve both the aerodynamics that cooling. "

Leon, maybe you can do a better job for us ? :)

give me the original Italian quote!

Matra et Alpine
04-27-2009, 03:02 PM
It's on the Ferrari page that I gave the link for when I forst quoted donuts/doughnuts ...
599XX (http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sport%20Cars/Sport_Prototype/Pages/Article_599XX_Ginevra.aspx)

"Infine, sono stati introdotti schermi di ispirazione F1 (detti "wheel donuts") che carenano parzialmente i dischi freni e il cerchio con la duplice funzione di migliorare sia l'aerodinamica che il raffreddamento. "

LeonOfTheDead
04-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Italian version from their site:
"Infine, sono stati introdotti schermi di ispirazione F1 (detti "wheel donuts") che carenano parzialmente i dischi freni e il cerchio con la duplice funzione di migliorare sia l'aerodinamica che il raffreddamento."

English from their site:
"Ferrari's engineers have also used F1-derived 'doughnuts', which partly cover the brake discs and wheel rim. These have the dual functions of improving aerodynamics and cooling the brakes."

My personal translation:
"F1 inspired screens have been introduced (called "wheel donuts") which partially cover the brake disc and the rims with the dual function of increasing both aerodynamic and cooling".

There is a little mess about those two worlds as if "wheel donuts" was the Italian for the English word "doughnuts".
In the rest of the sentence they just explain what they are, that we already know from F1 races, just these are on the inside of the rims.

"wheel donut" is written on them in the released pictures and those taken at Geneva, so probably they actually gave them the name "wheel donut" while they are usually refered to as "doughnuts" in general automotive/racing language. :confused:

Matra et Alpine
04-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks Leon.
Am off to write ot Mr Montezumela to complain and have him correct it from now on.
Using the bloody American-English :(

hmmm which leads me to a digression......
ok so US = donut .... please guys tell me what do you make bread out of ?
and what do you mux to make "donuts" ??
:):):)

Rockefella
04-27-2009, 03:23 PM
ok so US = donut .... please guys tell me what do you make bread out of ?
and what do you mux to make "donuts" ??
:):):)

Do.

LeonOfTheDead
04-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Mr Montezumela

Call him Luca Cordero di Montezemolo or he won't listen to you ;).

Matra et Alpine
04-27-2009, 03:36 PM
^^^^^^^^^^ ROFL ..... too much Mexico in the news today !!!!