PDA

View Full Version : has anyone read mein kampf

roosterjuicer
05-05-2009, 03:30 PM
has anyone here read it?

i think its interesting and important to read stuff written by important people in history both good and bad. I read fidel castro's book "history will absolve me" not too long ago and it was just a horrible read. One of the most poorly written books ive read, i dont know if it was cause of the translation maybe it flowed better in spanish or if castro is just a poor writer. it was a somewhat interesting, but I was wondering if mein kampf is a little bit easier to get through or is it pretty bad too?

blingbling
05-05-2009, 03:38 PM
there are so many more important things that could be read than mein kampf

Rockefella
05-05-2009, 04:04 PM
there are so many more important things that could be read than mein kampf

If he said he enjoys reading books by important people, Adolf Hitler is pretty damn near the top of the totem pole.

cmcpokey
05-05-2009, 07:15 PM
i have read snippets of it, and found it to be really awful. he struggled to maintain cohesiveness and just rambled.

roosterjuicer
05-05-2009, 07:25 PM
i have read snippets of it, and found it to be really awful. he struggled to maintain cohesiveness and just rambled.

thats kinda how castros book was too.

henk4
05-05-2009, 10:56 PM
just a question.
Why do you bring up "Mein Kampf" after you have read Castro's book? Do you think those two are in any way comparable?
You could also have asked for Mao's book or for the great novel by th alte Sapermurat Turkmenbashi, but from all other options you chose Hitler, why?
And for your information, I have a pre-war version of the book, but I never read it.
(and please reply to the question, and don't play it down as a typical "henk" reaction)

ScionDriver
05-05-2009, 11:33 PM
My dad said he read it in college and found it really boring. I have heard that from other places too, I guess it's just him rambling on and on and most sensible people find it stupid rather than some sort of truth of the world "bible" so to speak.

IBrake4Rainbows
05-06-2009, 02:22 AM
I've read excerpts and as CMC says, it's a rambling mess, for the most part.

Still, it's an important insight into one of the 20th centuries most talked about figures.

Birdman002
05-06-2009, 05:49 AM
i had the worst trouble reading that book
couldnt follow it deff couldnt understand it.
but if you like WW2 history and Hitler
deff read it.

SilverG35SportC
05-06-2009, 06:51 AM
I have never read Castro's or Hitler's book but I too have had friends read 'Mein Kampfe' and say it was quite poor. Neither holding up cohesiveness or intelligence.

Cyco
05-06-2009, 07:20 AM
I read it many years ago.

Appallingly poorly written. Very disjointed, 3 early chapters cover each main 'idea' (Living Space, Jews are evil and Germany can be great, again).

They are then repeated ad nauseam through the rest of the book until you can''t believe how anyone with this much time on their hands (he was in gaol) could not bother to get it proof read or well edited.

roosterjuicer
05-06-2009, 09:16 AM
thats what I was worried about. The book is like 24$ too! maybe ill just get a used one on amazon for a few cents.

Rockefella
05-06-2009, 09:51 AM
just a question.
Why do you bring up "Mein Kampf" after you have read Castro's book? Do you think those two are in any way comparable?
You could also have asked for Mao's book or for the great novel by th alte Sapermurat Turkmenbashi, but from all other options you chose Hitler, why?
And for your information, I have a pre-war version of the book, but I never read it.
(and please reply to the question, and don't play it down as a typical "henk" reaction)

You're just begging for another 10-page debate now, Henk.

ScionDriver
05-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I would say if you wanted to read histories important books, start with the people who influence the good and bad people: Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, Karl Marx, etc. Most of the people who carried out political philosophers ideas did it poorly (Mao, Lenin, Stalin).

LTSmash
05-07-2009, 11:22 AM
You could read My Life.

blingbling
05-09-2009, 04:59 AM
You're just begging for another 10-page debate now, Henk.great gift for any mother's day! :D

john14
05-10-2009, 08:40 AM
I haven't read Mein Kampf. Many Europeans are haunted by the fact that despite their best efforts, they were not able to stop Adolf Hitler and the Nazis from killing 6 million people and invading Poland and other countries. I'm sure many people tried to stop the holocaust and the invasions but that didn't stop 6 million people being brutally murdered and the fact 10s of millions of people died in World War 2.

cargirl1990
05-10-2009, 01:05 PM
why in the world and out of all the books in the world would you read " mein kampf ". Adolf Hitler was a crazy psycho maniac that had a inhumane way of killing innocent people. he was a racsist dictator who got what he want by killing, killing and did i not mention, KILLING! to me, it doesn't matter if this happened years ago, the affects on the survivors from Auschwitz is real ( or from other camps ), why feel sympathy for some crazy politian when you can feel sorry for those who had to suffer Hitler's reign the most. i love history but Hilter took it way too far. i'd say that he would be the worst politician ( and i mean worst as scary-worst ) in all of humanity.

Matra et Alpine
05-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Preciesly why everyone should read it.
A whole nation got carried away with his philosphy of German supermancy.

If we don't learn the lessons of history we are doomed to repeat them.

Some States-side hate-monger is threatening to sue the British government because he's banned from coming here. By reading Mein Kampf folks woudl understand why "freedom of speech" and publication is a slippery slope for some individuals.

f6fhellcat13
05-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Some States-side hate-monger is threatening to sue the British government because he's banned from coming here. By reading Mein Kampf folks woudl understand why "freedom of speech" and publication is a slippery slope for some individuals.

I've actually listened to Savage's talk show once or twice (a few years ago, but I doubt he's changed). Seemed like an arrogant nut, but didn't really seem worth the effort of banning him.
I think many other problems led to Hitler's rise than just his ability to publish and say what he wanted but, point taken.

Kitdy
05-10-2009, 01:56 PM
I haven't read Mein Kampf. Many Europeans are haunted by the fact that despite their best efforts, they were not able to stop Adolf Hitler and the Nazis from killing 6 million people and invading Poland and other countries. I'm sure many people tried to stop the holocaust and the invasions but that didn't stop 6 million people being brutally murdered and the fact 10s of millions of people died in World War 2.

More than 6 million died in Nazi extermination camps - 6 million were Jews, but something like 9 or 10 million total were killed. Couple that with many, many other civilian losses and all that died in the armed forces all under the Nazis watch and you have many millions of deaths.

cargirl1990
05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Preciesly why everyone should read it.
A whole nation got carried away with his philosphy of German supermancy.

If we don't learn the lessons of history we are doomed to repeat them.

didn't look at it like that. good point!