PDA

View Full Version : Seat Ibiza (Mk IV) 2008-

Revo
04-02-2008, 08:46 AM
SEAT’S STUNNING NEW IBIZA BREAKS COVER

Today, 2nd April, the covers come off the most important new model in Spanish car maker SEAT’s recent history with the unveiling of the all-new Ibiza five-door supermini.

The newcomer’s dramatic debut, at the firm’s Martorell HQ near Barcelona, marks the start of a major product offensive from the ambitious Spanish brand which will, over the coming months, also see the debut of further Ibiza variants, as well as striking new saloon and estate contenders in the upper medium segment.

All-new from the wheels up, and designed to reinforce SEAT’s position as a leader in the supermini sector, the bigger, better new Ibiza five-door has a range of ‘big car’ features to match its sharp styling.

The work of renowned ex-Lamborghini stylist Luc Donckerwolke, the new car offers a variety of class-leading options such as the availability of a new seven-speed DSG automatic/sequential manual gearbox, Hill Hold Assist, front fog lights with side illumination (cornering) function and combined AUX-IN/USB connectivity for all manner of music devices.

Longer than the current model – the new Ibiza breasts the tape at 4.05 m, versus the existing car’s 3.97 m – it’s markedly more capacious, too, with improved rear seat legroom and a significantly larger and more practical boot space which, at 292 litres with rear seats in place, is comfortably the largest in the supermini class.

Sitting on a new version of the renowned Ibiza ‘Agile Chassis’, with wider front and rear tracks (30 mm and 33 mm respectively) the new car looks and feels even more ‘planted’, and delivers both a composed ride and class-leading, sporty handling.

Debuting with a range of potent, proven powerplants, the Ibiza five-door promises both strong performance and outstanding economy. Beneath the bonnet, this front-wheel drive motor will initially offer three petrol engine options: either a characterful 1.2-litre three cylinder 70 PS; flexible 1.4-litre 85 PS four cylinder or sporty 1.6-litre four cylinder 102 PS.

All three come mated as standard to a sweet-shifting five-speed manual gearbox, and all have undergone engineering modifications to ensure emissions fall comfortably below 160 g/km.

SEAT’s success in offering sporty yet frugal diesel cars naturally means a raft of sophisticated direct-injection TDI Ibiza five-doors will debut in due course, too.

Safety and security have both been key considerations in the development of the new car, with the likes of new head and thorax-focused front side airbags, and the extensive availability of ESP and TCS.

Welcoming the unveiling of the new car, Head of SEAT UK Peter Wyhinny said: ‘The debut of the spectacular new Ibiza is the clearest sign yet that SEAT is serious about putting enviable quality and state-of-the-art technology alongside sporting ‘auto emoción’ as the cornerstones of the Brand.

‘With the debut of this distinctive and clearly design-led five-door we are embarking on a major development of the SEAT range, with plenty more to come in the months ahead!’

(ends)

source: newspress.co.uk

LeonOfTheDead
04-02-2008, 08:53 AM
even if i wasn't expecting nothing extraordinary, i am quite disappointed.

the lateral view remember me something about hyunday i30, the rear has a little touch of fiat bravo, while the headlights seem to come froma lexus is. i don't even like the interior, except maybe for the steering wheel. am i the only to see a "bravo" touch even here?!:confused:
i am expecting some of you guys telling me it is based on a bravo at this point...:p

Revo
04-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Seat Ibiza #2

Ferrer
04-02-2008, 08:59 AM
It's not the best looking car in the world and it has its faults but I quite like it. I do agree the interior looks a lot like the latest Fiat products, especially reminding me of the Delta.

P.S. In the media site they are available in higher res, Revo. ;)

LeonOfTheDead
04-02-2008, 09:07 AM

they are huge, but with a slow resolution, a pics 5200x3000 and more should be bigger than 2,2 mb...i have some pics of the 8C with 4000x3000 or similar, but their dimensions are something like 20 mb...

in the 7th pic from the press site it remembers me of the old fiat palio !!!
i guess i have some problems...:D

Revo
04-02-2008, 09:08 AM
Yes, I know that. But there is a thing called "max filesize" here...;)

MCarN
04-02-2008, 12:14 PM
I like this one more than any of the previous ones with its agressive front and distinctive shape. I added some info too along with some images including the predecessors:

New SEAT IBIZA Breaks Cover « MotorCar News (http://motorcarnews.wordpress.com/2008/04/02/new-seat-ibiza-breaks-cover/)

http://i25.tinypic.com/213hgrc.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/118k4k2.jpg

LeonOfTheDead
04-02-2008, 01:19 PM
I like this one more than any of the previous ones with its agressive front and distinctive shape.

i do prefer the first ibiza, more personal and aggressive, for a seat ibiza of course...;)
i still remember the engine badged by porsche (just for the injection system...:D)...

Auxin
04-02-2008, 02:07 PM
I think it looks quite good overall but im not too sure about a couple of things. The two distinct lines on the side dont blend and from the side it looks a bit like the mazda 2 to me, (look at the shape of the windows). The interior may look like its been copied but it still looks modern and practical.

Ferrer
04-02-2008, 03:06 PM
i do prefer the first ibiza, more personal and aggressive, for a seat ibiza of course...;)
i still remember the engine badged by porsche (just for the injection system...:D)...
Ah yes, I still remember a family friend had a Malaga 1.5i, which was the top of the range first gen booted Ibiza.

What a great car... ;)

LeonOfTheDead
04-03-2008, 02:42 AM
Ah yes, I still remember a family friend had a Malaga 1.5i, which was the top of the range first gen booted Ibiza.

What a great car... ;)

my bro owned one of those ibiza...the ony good things about it were it was relatively lightweight, the rims were quite good looking for that time, and the sound from an almost destroyed exhaust pipe.... ;) :D

Ferrer
04-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Seat Ibiza Mk IV #3

Ferrer
04-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Seat Ibiza Mk IV #4

Ferrer
06-16-2008, 03:09 AM
Martorell, 03-06-2008

NEW SEAT IBIZA SPORTCOUPE

Sporty with the personality of a coupé

New, sportier coupé body
New seven-speed DSG gearbox, a first in this segment
Addition of the 80 hp 1.4 and 90 hp 1.9 TDI engines

Without a doubt, the arrival of the new SEAT Ibiza SportCoupe raises the bar of sportiness on its newest model, combining impressive, vanguard exterior design with exceptional dynamic qualities and a wide range of engine choices, which now includes the efficient 80 hp 1.4 and 90 hp 1.9 Diesel versions. Besides, with a seven-speed DSG gearbox making its debut in this segment, the Ibiza range features a novelty that provides it with greater response and excellent driving comfort.

The deep-rooted SEAT sports concept is maximised in the Ibiza SportCoupe thanks to its compact coupé body, with a length of 4.034 metres and mere 1.428 metre height to match its temperament, lending the car agility and comfort both in the city and on the motorway. Likewise, the new VW Group platform designed for this segment also favours the dynamic qualities of the new SEAT Ibiza SC.

Design, quality and precision quality are three of the elements that distinguish the brand’s new model highlighting the new “Arrow Design” concept characterised by a lower positioning of the headlights and radiator grille for a sportier look.

Painstaking interior and exterior detailing on the new Ibiza SC include the dashboard, the instrument panel, ventilation nozzles and central console, which houses the audio equipment and Bluetooth connection which can be accessed via controls located on the steering column.

DSG gearbox for the first time in this segment

The new SEAT Ibiza SportCoupe is equipped with the new seven-speed DSG gearbox on its 105 hp 1.6 version for the first time in this segment, placing the brand’s new car in an enviable position compared to its rivals. The new Ibiza’s inherent sportiness combines with the comfort and reliability of one of the most efficient automatic transmissions on the market.

With shorter first and second gears and a smaller gear ratio, this new, twin-clutch automatic transmission provides the Ibiza with greater acceleration. Besides, this system produces remarkable fuel consumption, since the seventh gear is ideal for long motoring trips.

Agile, seductive and extroverted, the new Ibiza SportCoupe will be manufactured exclusively at SEAT’s Martorell factory near Barcelona and will be available in three trim levels – Reference, Stylance and Sport, with an outstanding standard equipment list from the entry-level model. In the near future, the model’s ecological ECOMOTIVE, FR and Cupra versions will also make their appearance.

Spastik_Roach
06-16-2008, 03:56 AM
Its not a bloody coupe!

Honestly these days...sedans are coupes...hatchbacks are coupes..4wd's are coupes....its bullshit!

Rockefella
06-16-2008, 03:58 AM
Its not a bloody coupe!

Honestly these days...sedans are coupes...hatchbacks are coupes..4wd's are coupes....its bullshit!

Yahsrsly. The branding of cars is getting quite silly. Soon the Hummer will be badged as a motorcycle.

Ferrer
06-16-2008, 04:11 AM
Its not a bloody coupe!

Worse when it's called the Ibiza SC, because it ain't superchager either...

faksta
06-16-2008, 04:13 AM
Not fair! It's not coupe!!

Hah..and to the above mentioned..thanks to VW it didn't call Passat CC a 4-door coupe...

LeonOfTheDead
06-16-2008, 05:32 AM
Not fair! It's not coupe!!

Hah..and to the above mentioned..thanks to VW it didn't call Passat CC a 4-door coupe...

didn't they?!

I saw the 5-doors Ibiza last week...pretty ugly, and the headlights are really too little for such a big bonnet

ruim20
06-16-2008, 06:24 AM
So an Ibiza 3doors is now called a coupe. nice! Also that 80hp 1.4 is the real sporty engine that the car nedeed! woo woo 80bhp!

I didn't like the new gen Ibiza either, the last one was much better looking, this really doesn't make it for me.

Ferrer
06-16-2008, 07:29 AM
didn't they?!

I saw the 5-doors Ibiza last week...pretty ugly, and the headlights are really too little for such a big bonnet
AFAIK, yes they do. However Volkswagen have really outdone themselves on this occasion. Calling CC a fixed head 4 door saloon when everyone knows it stands for Coupe-Cabriolet... :rolleyes:

faksta
06-16-2008, 07:49 AM
They didn't explain what does it mean. And they didn't call it a coupe, at least during an official presentation.

Pando
06-18-2008, 12:22 AM
So soon those will flood the Spanish streets then, Ferrer? ;) I have to say I was surprised when I saw the market share Seat holds in its home country.

Ferrer
06-18-2008, 12:28 AM
So soon those will flood the Spanish streets then, Ferrer? ;) I have to say I was surprised when I saw the market share Seat holds in its home country.
They dropped 37% last month in terms of sales. But well then you look at the Toledo and everything becomes clear. :)

But yes this will soon be everywhere here.

Pando
06-18-2008, 12:34 AM
They dropped 37% last month in terms of sales. But well then you look at the Toledo and everything becomes clear. :)

But yes this will soon be everywhere here.I think SEAT's should be priced everywhere as in Spain, when they have the same price as their VAG brothers and sisters it's not surprising that they are quite a peculiar choice in many countries.

Ecnelis
09-02-2008, 06:59 AM
Brand new Seat Ibiza Ecomotive

AT THE UPCOMING PARIS MOTOR SHOW

The Ibiza range grows with addition of the CUPRA and ECOMOTIVE

180 hp 1.4 TSI twin-turbo engine for the CUPRA
7-speed DSG gearbox with steering wheel shift-paddles
Ibiza ECOMOTIVE, only 99 g/km of CO2

Less than six months after its launch, the new Ibiza range has expanded with the arrival of two new versions that combine distinct sports character with the commitment to environmental sustainability.

ruim20
09-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Thoose are the specs of the Cupra, the Automotive version must be something like the 1.9TDI 105bhp, 5 speed manual, Special tyres, longer gear ratios and reduced weight.

Wich i think is the only one worth buying.

Ferrer
09-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Thoose are the specs of the Cupra, the Automotive version must be something like the 1.9TDI 105bhp, 5 speed manual, Special tyres, longer gear ratios and reduced weight.

Wich i think is the only one worth buying.
It seems they share the press release, the 99g/km figures is from the Ecomotive.

And actually it has the (noisiy and harsh, but suprisingly quite performing) 1.4-litre 3 cyl diesel with 80bhp and the usual changes as you said.

In my opinion though, the "Ecomotive pack" should be standard on all Ibizas.

ruim20
09-03-2008, 01:59 AM
It seems they share the press release, the 99g/km figures is from the Ecomotive.

And actually it has the (noisiy and harsh, but suprisingly quite performing) 1.4-litre 3 cyl diesel with 80bhp and the usual changes as you said.

In my opinion though, the "Ecomotive pack" should be standard on all Ibizas.

Hm, the 1.4 then, thank you for the correction. :)

Ferrer
09-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Seat Ibiza SportCoupé #2

Ferrer
09-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Seat Ibiza SportCoupé #3

Ferrer
04-16-2009, 10:30 AM
New Ibiza FR – decidedly sporty

The new FR version of the Ibiza introduces several novelties compared with the previous model, which all combine to provide a more intense driving experience. First of all, the brand’s new car is equipped with the efficient 150 hp twin charger 1.4 TSI engine. Thanks to its latest generation technology, this engine provides greater elasticity, brilliant performance and lower fuel consumption figures and emissions levels, and fully complies with EU-5 legislation on the subject.

The Ibiza FR’s powerful engine is mated to a seven-speed DSG gearbox with steering wheel shift paddles. As on the CUPRA version, the gearbox has been developed with sportier software than on the 1.6 model of the Ibiza range.

Furthermore, the addition of the XDS system provides greater driving comfort and safety. This electronic system works together with ESP and functions as a self-blocking mechanism. It improves the car’s performance when traction is lost by braking the wheel that loses grip.

The new design of the Ibiza FR highlights its sporty looks on the inside as well as on the exterior, with new bumpers that lend a more aggressive appearance, featuring front honeycomb slats and a chrome surround on the central grille in combination with the Arrow Design concept. Other tell-tale exterior elements on the FR are silver coloured door mirrors, specific 17 inch rims or the twin tailpipe to one side.

The interior also conveys the car’s racing nature with a specific instrument display that carries the FR logo, a new steering wheel with built-in DSG shift paddles and the seat design, whose upholstery also heavily contributes to its sporty looks.

As far as standard equipment goes, SEAT’s new car is further equipped with ESP, TCS + EBA, ABS, Hill Hold Control, low tyre pressure warning, driver and passenger airbags, head-chest airbag, trip computer, cruise control, climate control, CD radio with MP3 + 6 speakers + Aux-in connection, sports suspension and cornering foglights, among other elements.

Ferrer
04-16-2009, 10:32 AM
I hate small cars with sporting pretensions that are only available with automatic gearboxes.

LeonOfTheDead
04-16-2009, 10:44 AM
I hate small cars with sporting pretensions that are only available with automatic gearboxes.

that's not an auto ;)
it's a manual for incompetent drivers :D

as an option, I generally don't mind the availability of different gearboxes or engines. In this case, it's just wrong, I prefer 1.000 € off the price.

teatako
04-16-2009, 10:47 AM
The fine people at SEAT probably do, too. But they gotta make a buck.

Clivey
04-17-2009, 04:26 PM
It's too big, it's too heavy, it looks ugly and it probably won't handle spectacularly, either.

(The old one looked a million, billion times better)

Discuss.

M_M
04-18-2009, 05:30 AM
Discuss.

The old one aged in a ridicously fast way - it looked good when it was first presented.
This at least looks decent compared to the Cupra version - which makes me almost laugh. I'll wait for some reviews on its road abilities.

Ferrer
04-18-2009, 05:33 AM
It's too big, it's too heavy, it looks ugly and it probably won't handle spectacularly, either.

(The old one looked a million, billion times better)

Discuss.
The standard cars are lighter than the previous gen Ibiza, so this will probably be lighter too.

Clivey
04-19-2009, 12:57 AM
The standard cars are lighter than the previous gen Ibiza, so this will probably be lighter too.

It needs to be a lot lighter - the old one weighed-in at 1,154kg. That makes my car look comparatively light (1,280kg).

I know it's not the heaviest of "superminis", but still - they shouldn't really be weighing in at 1,100-1,200kgs.

Ferrer
05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
NEW SEAT IBIZA BOCANEGRA
A true collector’s edition

• Spectacular exterior design and unmistakable front end
• Significant interior modifications to further heighten exclusivity
• Equipped with engines found on the FR and CUPRA

SEAT created an icon with the SEAT 1200 SPORT “Bocanegra”. More than 30 years later, the Spanish brand has reverted to the same exclusive nomenclature to create the new SEAT Ibiza Bocanegra, a vehicle whose innovative design language, especially centred around its characteristic front end, oozes character and sportiness. It instantly becomes, without a doubt, a true collector’s edition.

But its exclusive exterior design is not its only strength – the interior has also been modified compared to the rest of the models in the range to create an even more sporty passenger compartment filled with distinctive detailing. The new SEAT Ibiza Bocanegra will be equipped with either the 150 or 180 hp twin charged 1.4 TSI engine found on the FR and the CUPRA versions.

Unique, exclusive silhouette

The new Ibiza Bocanegra has very clearly been created to provide a thrilling driving experience. Its new exterior design, whose masterful lines appeared on the SportCoupé “Bocanegra” prototype presented at the 2008 Geneva Motor Show, puts SEAT’s new vehicle firmly in the spotlight. This is indeed a unique version aimed at customers who want an exclusive Ibiza.

The main characteristic of the new Ibiza Bocanegra is found on the front of the car. As its name suggests, the black volume at the front is reminiscent of a mask, which strengthens the stylishness of SEAT’s new model.

The top half of the front on the Ibiza Bocanegra is emphasised by completely black double headlights and the central grille with its honeycomb mesh and black surround, including innovative air vents at the base. The bumper combines black with the body colour, while a broad grille beneath that takes care of cooling the engine. The fog lights are built into the bumper, which is bigger at the bottom and over the wheel arches, and its muscular volume contributes toward the car’s unmistakably sporty appearance.

Other elements that combine perfectly to further add to the Ibiza Bocanegra’s image are the door mirrors with their black housing, the sunroof and the attractive 17 inch “Sira” rims which, on the CUPRA version, feature a brake assembly with AP-Racing callipers, and low profile 215/40 R17 tyres.

The rear of the vehicle also features honeycomb mesh on the side grids, an impressive spoiler, chunky wheel arches and a tinted window. But what really identifies the personality of the car is the “Bocanegra” badge centred on the hatch door, a characteristic trait of SEAT’s most exclusive versions.

The sporty body colours available on the new Ibiza Bocanegra are Dakota Red and Candy White, and both clearly highlight all the stunning design differences found on the model.

Highly personalised, ergonomic passenger compartment

Building on the sporty interior of the FR and CUPRA versions, several significant modifications have been made to the passenger compartment of the SEAT Ibiza Bocanegra, much to the delight of discerning customers.

As is usual on SEAT’s sportiest models, the first things that get your attention on the Ibiza Bocanegra are the seats, which are upholstered with specific fabric made up of rhomboids stitched together in red to generate a definitively sporty look.

The upper part of the seats sport the logo that identifies this version - a capital “B” stitched in red - and the sporty Ibiza range models feature comfortable, ergonomic seats that provide the driver with the highest level of safety.

Another eye-catching element in the interior is the three-spoke steering wheel, which is flattened at the base, sports a capital “B” for Bocanegra in aluminium in the middle of the vertical spoke and the seven-speed DSG shift paddles at the ends of the horizontal spokes for easier gear changes without releasing the steering wheel; whereas the DSG gear gaiter has red stitching to match the seats.

Different shades of black prevail in the interior, especially Brillante Black on areas of the dashboard soft-pad, the door panels and the central tunnel; or Carbono Black on the steps, the lower A pillars, the wheel arches and the specific floor mats, which also have red borders.

The Bocanegra logo on the instrument panel distinguishes it from the FR and CUPRA versions. Furthermore, the binnacle hood and radio casing feature Carbono Black, and the brake and accelerator pedals boast aluminium trim.

1.4 TSI engine and XDS system

The new Ibiza Bocanegra is equipped with the twin charged 1.4 TSI engine, either in its 150 or 180 hp version. This new generation engine is powerful and reliable, and guarantees brilliant performance levels and reduced consumption figures.

Other standard equipment on the Ibiza Bocanegra is the XDS system, which combines with ESP and TCS and functions as a self-blocking differential without the need for any additional mechanical elements. The system anticipates traction loss to the wheels and limits tractive force to the wheel expected to lose grip, preventing the inside wheel from skidding, especially around curves, and the car from understeering.

Both the Ibiza FR Bocanegra and Ibiza CUPRA Bocanegra include equipment that is identical to the standard versions: ESP, TCS + EBA, ABS, Hill Hold Assist, low tyre pressure warning, driver and passenger airbag, head-chest airbag, trip computer, cruise control, climate control, CD radio with MP3 + 6 speakers + Aux-in connection, sports suspension and cornering foglights are just some of the features.

The new SEAT Ibiza Bocanegra features unique styling and personality, combining a distinctively innovative design with large doses of exhilarating vitality, values that SEAT applies to all its models, but with even more new meaning on the Ibiza Bocanegra.

A look at the past

The design of the new Ibiza Bocanegra that SEAT is presenting at the Barcelona Motor Show is reminiscent of the first SEAT SportCoupé launched, the 1200 SPORT/SPORT 1430 “Bocanegra”. Even though more than 30 years separate the launch of the two models, both feature innovative styling and magnificent performance figures, and both ooze character and sportiness. The following are the main characteristics of the first “Bocanegra”.

• The launch of the SEAT 1200 SPORT in 1975 was a milestone in the Spanish brand’s history since it was the first model to be wholly-developed at the SEAT Technical Centre in Martorell.
• The model was called “Bocanegra” for its characteristic front end with integrated plastic bumpers. It featured a two-door body, four-speed gearbox and 67 hp 1.2 engine that gave the 1200 SPORT “Bocanegra” a top speed of 157 km/h.
• The design language of the SEAT 1200 SPORT was groundbreaking from any angle, characterised by sharp straight lines at a time when rounded contours were fashionable. Its interior design was also ahead of its time, and included a control panel made from a single piece.
• The main qualities of the SEAT 1200 SPORT “Bocanegra” were its innovative design, excellent performance and recognised stability.
• The range was later extended with the addition of the SEAT SPORT 1430, whose 77 hp delivered a top speed of 164 km/h. Equipped with the engine found on the SEAT 1430, this model was barely different on the outside or the inside compared to the 1200 SPORT version.
• Production of the SEAT 1200 SPORT began in 1976 and stopped in 1979 (with a total of 11,619 units sold), while the SEAT SPORT 1430 went on the market a year later in 1977 (7,713 units sold). In total, sales of both models reached 19,332 units, which were made exclusively in the Spanish market.

Ferrer
05-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Seat Ibiza Bocanegra #2

f6fhellcat13
05-07-2009, 11:56 AM
I don't like the Bangle-esque "personality" creases.
More of a general question; in all these >100hp/L turbo hatches, how is the lag?

Ferrer
05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
More of a general question; in all these >100hp/L turbo hatches, how is the lag?
This is turbocharged and supercharged so there's probably no lag at all.

LeonOfTheDead
05-07-2009, 12:05 PM

very low if not inexistent, thanks to the dual charging: supercharger at low rpm, and turbocharger at higher.
The supercharger doesn't create as much lag as a turbocharger, since it's directly powered by the engine itself, ti only require some power, which seems as a bad point, but it rewards you with a lot more power. Basically no lag, but its problem is the low efficiency at higher rpm, or more specifically, after the rpm of maximum power. In this area the power released by the engine decrease very quickly with the rpm getting higher, and the supercharger would absorb too many of them, without giving much advantages anymore.
So that's why here it's only used at low rpm.
On the other hand, a turbocharger requires a flux of high temperature and pressure exhaust gas, something of which you are short of at low rpm.
A variable geometry turbine (997 Turbo the only application on a petrol engine atm) reduces this problem, allowing the turbine to work with less pressure, giving less power but without the lag.
So at high rpm you have all the pressure you need, and you can engage the turbo only once the pressure is high enough. At that point, the supercharger can be disengaged, and you have all the power you need.

f6fhellcat13
05-07-2009, 12:27 PM

Ah, stupid of me for not reading the press release fully. :o
Do people think twincharging is the way of the future?
I have read that superchargers are inefficient in terms of heat and engine power used compared with turboes.

Also, a variation of the original question, in turboed (but not supercharged) hatches which don't have expensive VTG, how is the lag?

digitalcraft
05-07-2009, 01:13 PM
I like all of it except the gimmicky front. I think that styling has been taken about as far as it can go; this is nearly a parody, and when something gets parodied you know it is dead as a fashion.

LeonOfTheDead
05-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Ah, stupid of me for not reading the press release fully. :o
Do people think twincharging is the way of the future?
I have read that superchargers are inefficient in terms of heat and engine power used compared with turboes.

Also, a variation of the original question, in turboed (but not supercharged) hatches which don't have expensive VTG, how is the lag?

The Delta S4 rallying in the Group B had the supercharger+turbocharger 20 years before of the VAG group, so it's not really the way of the future but something that can help creating more efficient (and complex) engines.

I didn't read much complain about the turbocharged 2.0 liters from VAG or Renault, and even the smaller 1.4 T-Jet in the 180 bhp step from Fiat is still manageable when it comes to lag.
I must admit I like a reasonable lag, it makes things more interesting, and add a bit of character to the engine. At least, I like it in my dad's Alfa 156 JTD (105 bhp).

I'm not aware of technical issues related to superchargers rather than turbochargers if not those explained above, regarding the lower efficiency of a supercharger at low rpm, despite the turbocharger always needing a certain level of pressure in the exhaust to work properly.

05-07-2009, 02:29 PM
i like it

teatako
05-07-2009, 07:15 PM
That "black mouth" styling was how the original Bocanegra concept (which ended up being the new Ibiza) was designed, amirite?

The design really comes alive with that black plastic front piece, you can tell it was conceived the way it was in the concept car. Shame they couldn´t convince the higher-ups.

So, is

Ferrer
05-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Bad.

And it isn't interesting. On the other hand you can use the lever between the seats.

LeonOfTheDead
05-08-2009, 03:04 AM
Bad.

And it isn't interesting. On the other hand you can use the lever between the seats.

A Megane R26 isn't that bad, lag or not.
And I prefer Fiats' JTD before they went VTG

Ferrer
05-08-2009, 03:12 AM
A Megane R26 isn't that bad, lag or not.
And I prefer Fiats' JTD before they went VTG
The Bimmer does have a VGT, doesn't it?

Even so there's a quite a lot of lag. Below 1500rpm there's nothing and it's not until 2000rpm that you begin to gain some speed.

LeonOfTheDead
05-08-2009, 03:34 AM
The Bimmer does have a VGT, doesn't it?

Even so there's a quite a lot of lag. Below 1500rpm there's nothing and it's not until 2000rpm that you begin to gain some speed.

I was thinking about petrol engines. Remember that diesel engines have a lag also due to the fuel (it takes a longer time tor each the detonation conditions than petrol reaching the burning conditions), the cycle and the heavier parts.

Basically the 1.9 of the Croma has a similar behavior, but it fits the car. On the other hand I prefer the less powerful unit of the Stilo, more linear in the answers and even "honest", while the VGT always seems to be going to deliver tons of trust or nothing more than a whistle.
On the 156 it was even better: the even larger lag resulted in eighties-styled kick when the turbo was engaging. I liked it.

Ferrer
05-08-2009, 03:40 AM
Basically the 1.9 of the Croma has a similar behavior, but it fits the car. On the other hand I prefer the less powerful unit of the Stilo, more linear in the answers and even "honest", while the VGT always seems to be going to deliver tons of trust or nothing more than a whistle.
On the 156 it was even better: the even larger lag resulted in eighties-styled kick when the turbo was engaging. I liked it.
You should buy a Saab 99 Turbo... :)

On the other hand the 335i was excellent.

LeonOfTheDead
05-08-2009, 04:42 AM
You should buy a Saab 99 Turbo... :)

On the other hand the 335i was excellent.

I should buy a 037 ;)

The 335i it's a twin turbo and a petrol car, so definitely a better situation:)

Jack_Bauer
05-09-2009, 04:48 AM
Speaking as someone who has just put an order in for a new Seat Ibiza, and who now takes more of an interest in all things Seat, I really like it. Apparently in the UK the 'Bocanegra' will not be a distinct model, just an optional styling pack for the FR and Cupra models when they eventually arrive here. Sadly my car won't look anywhere near as jazzy as this, but nevermind! :p

Ferrer
05-09-2009, 05:02 AM
Speaking as someone who has just put an order in for a new Seat Ibiza, and who now takes more of an interest in all things Seat, I really like it. Apparently in the UK the 'Bocanegra' will not be a distinct model, just an optional styling pack for the FR and Cupra models when they eventually arrive here. Sadly my car won't look anywhere near as jazzy as this, but nevermind! :p
As everywhere else, this is just a styling pack.

I like the new Ibiza quite a lot. And glad to see you take interest in somethin Catalan(ish). :)

Jack_Bauer
05-09-2009, 07:18 AM
As everywhere else, this is just a styling pack.

I like the new Ibiza quite a lot. And glad to see you take interest in somethin Catalan(ish). :)

I wasn't really remotely interested in ordering any kind of Seat. I don't think I'd seen a single new Ibiza on the road at that point. I was all but ready to sign on the dotted line for a new Fiesta Econetic, and I only wandered into the Seat dealership because it was across the road and thought it couldn't hurt to have a quick look. I was really pleasantly surprised by the new Ibiza; styling looks decent in the flesh, interior isn't too bad and pretty well specced, and it seemed a fair bit bigger and more grown-up than the Fiesta (particularly in regards to trunk space).

I then discovered they have their own new 'Ecomotion' model which gets the exact same economy and emissions figures, has cheaper insurance, a bigger boot and (most importantly) cost about £1500 LESS than the Ford! I'm sure the Fiesta drives a little bit better, and is probably a slightly better all round package, but the Seat looks a real bargain in comparison. So I have a nice red 5-door Ibiza Ecomotion due to leave the factory in Spain early next week to be shipped over to Blighty. I'm quite excited, I've never had a proper new car before! :p

LeonOfTheDead
05-09-2009, 08:06 AM
I personally don't like the Ibiza styling, but it's still a huge improvement. If JB says the interiors are ok (never liked the plastics), I guess is a go.

Ferrer
05-09-2009, 08:11 AM
And apparently the Ecomotion doesn't drive bad at all, compared to other green versions.

Congratulations on your new car, JB. :)

Ferrer
05-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Seat Ibiza FR #2

Ferrer
09-30-2009, 10:10 AM
Seat Ibiza FR #3

Ferrer
09-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Seat Ibiza FR #4

Ferrer
09-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Seat Ibiza FR #5

Ferrer
09-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Seat Ibiza FR #6

Ferrer
09-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Seat Ibiza Bocanegra #3

Ferrer
09-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Seat Ibiza Bocanegra #4

Ferrer
09-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Seat Ibiza Bocanegra #5

Ferrer
02-03-2010, 05:07 PM
SEAT Ibiza ST – compact dynamics with great usability

• Sporty estate is the third model in the Ibiza line-up
• Expressive design with plenty of load capacity
• Dynamic driving fun with high safety levels
• Six efficient engines, new 1.2 TDI and 1.2 TSI

With a World Premiere at the Geneva Motorshow, SEAT is pushing forward with its product offensive – the Ibiza ST is the third model to join the successful Spanish line-up. The compact estate car is the perfect vehicle for a youthful and sporty lifestyle, bringing together the brand’s most powerful characteristics – it is emotional and well-designed, it is dynamic and efficient, it is easy to use and financially attainable. SEAT will deliver the Ibiza ST in six modern engine variants and with a broad palette of equipment and technologies. Market launch is planned for early summer.

The stylists at SEAT Design have taken the highly functional concept of the Ibiza ST and clad it in the Spanish brand’s unique design language. Despite the estate layout and generous load capacity, it retains the youthful, sporty character of the Ibiza range. The roofline stretches rearwards, the rear overhang is integrated perfectly into the overall design and the tight span of its flanks lends tautness to its proportions. The front end bears the hallmark SEAT “arrow design”; with the rear end receiving a new look courtesy of the split rear light clusters.

With a length of 4.23 metres, the Ibiza ST is no less than 18 centimetres longer than the Ibiza. This creates ample load capacity to satisfy all the requirements of a sporty and mobile lifestyle. The base capacity of 430 litres is already comparatively generous, and can be increased in stages by folding the split rear seat. Engineers paid particularly close attention to the optimal width and low height of the load opening. Overall, the bodyshell is finished to the high levels of precision and stiffness characteristic of all SEAT models.

The interior of the Ibiza ST is impressively spacious, with an accomplished and high quality character. The designers and engineers paid close attention to the tiniest detail; every single element is functional, practical to use and meticulously crafted, as evidenced by the high material quality and tight tolerances. The cockpit feels taut. Circular air vents, a short gear stick – the emotional character expressed by the design of the Ibiza ST is clearly evident in the interior, too.

Sporty dynamics with a high degree of efficiency is par for the course for every SEAT. The basis for this is delivered by state-of-the-art engines, with the Ibiza ST offering a choice of three petrol and three TDI units with common-rail injection. Four of the six engines operate with direct injection and turbocharging. They span an output range of between 51 and 77 kW (70 to 105 hp). Particular highlights include the exceptionally efficient 1.2 TDI and 1.2 TSI.

Another guarantee of agility and dynamics comes from the precise and safe running gear. Together with the excellent equipment of the three model lines Reference, Style and Sport, as well as the broad range of hi-tech optional equipment – such as the dual-clutch transmission – this makes the Ibiza ST the one to beat in the small estate car segment. Especially as excellent value for money is an integral part of the youthful character that defines this kind of SEAT.

aiasib
02-03-2010, 05:40 PM
Bangle, is that you?

Ferrer
02-04-2010, 05:33 AM
The new 143 hp SEAT Ibiza FR 2.0 TDI CR

• New Diesel version, the most powerful in its segment
• This Ibiza platform is mated with the 2.0 TDI engine for the first time
• Only 119 g/km of emissions with excellent performance levels

The SEAT Ibiza FR has extended its engine line-up with the arrival of the 143 hp (105 kW) 2.0 TDI variant equipped with common rail technology and DPF particulate filter, making the Ibiza the first VW Group model to mount the 2.0 TDI engine on this platform, which by the way is the most powerful Diesel in its segment.

With these credentials the new Ibiza FR TDI is a full-fledged sporty vehicle, but at the same time committed to environmental sustainability. Its emissions level of 119 g/km is unique on a car of this nature, and is a considerable reduction by 20% compared to the previous FR version equipped with the 130 hp 1.9 TDI engine. Thanks to this low figure, buyers in Spain are exempt from paying registration tax.

Brilliant performance

Fitted with the new 2.0 TDI CR engine, the new Ibiza FR delivers performance levels to match its distinctly sporty set-up. Top speed is 210 km/h, 0 to 100 km/h acceleration is 8.2 seconds and in-gear acceleration is equally swift. But these figures do not imply greater consumption; on the contrary, the new Ibiza FR registers an average figure of only 4.6 litres for every 100 km, and naturally fully complies with EU-5 emissions legislation.

Careful work has been done to the new Ibiza FR TDI chassis and suspension ratings in order to tap its power potential, resulting in effective performance to match the model’s sporty philosophy. Much of the merit goes to the electronic XDS system, which works as a self-blocking mechanism to provide constant traction capacity.

Exclusive exterior styling

The same as with the petrol version, the new SEAT Ibiza FR will be available in the SC and five-door body styling, and in both choices its design features set it apart from the rest of the range. The new FR version features specific bumpers, front honeycomb grilles, with a chrome frame surrounding the one in the centre, the characteristic Arrow Design, silver colour door mirrors, 215/40 tyres on specific 17 inch wheel rims, and a twin lateral tailpipe.

The interior also conveys the car’s racing nature with shiny black inserts on certain dashboard elements such as the instrument panel binnacle hood or the ventilation nozzle bezels. Other contributing elements to its sporty looks are a specific instrument display that carries the FR logo, the sporty steering wheel design and the seat design, whose contours and stitched upholstery are different than on the rest of the range and sport the FR logo on the backrests of the front seats.

Available throughout the official SEAT sales network, the new Ibiza FR TDI signals a considerable evolution in terms of performance, noise levels and driving comfort compared to the previous Ibiza FR equipped with the 130 hp 1.9 TDI pump injector engine.

Fully equipped and available in Bocanegra trim

The SEAT Ibiza FR features an outstanding equipment line-up. Standard equipment includes countless active and passive safety devices, comfort elements and others that contribute to enhancing the model’s sportiness.

The Spanish brand’s new car features the following standard elements – ESP, TCS + EBA, XDS, ABS, low tyre pressure warning, driver + passenger airbag, head-thorax airbag, passenger airbag disconnection, fasten seatbelt warning, rear window side Isofix anchoring points + Top Tether preparation, cruise control, specific suspension ratings, silver colour electric heated door mirrors, 17 inch Cosmos Silver alloy ‘Aera’ wheels and 215/40 tyres, double headlights, cornering fog lights, tinted rear passenger windows and rear window, anti-theft radio aerial, spare tyre, climate control, height and reach adjustable steering column, specific leather steering wheel and gear knob with FR logo, specific sport seats with FR logo on front seat backrests, height adjustable driver and passenger seats, “Easy entry” access from passenger seat (SC version), split folding rear seat, central console with 2+1 cup holders and socket, 3 rear height adjustable headrests, boot light, Hill Hold Assist, audio equipment with MP3 + Aux-in + 6 speakers, radio and telephone controls on steering column, trip computer, front power one-touch anti-trap windows, rear power windows (5-door version) and remote controlled central locking.

Similar to the petrol version, the new FR TDI is also available with the stunning Bocanegra trim, only associated with the SC body, which features distinctively unique styling on both the interior and exterior.

Attractive optional equipment line-up

The FR version features an attractive list of optional elements that completes the list of standard equipment.

SEAT’s new vehicle can come equipped with the Carbono package, which enhances the exclusiveness of the interior with an instrument panel binnacle hood, steering wheel spokes and radio casing with a carbon fibre finish.

An interesting optional comfort element on the Ibiza FR is the storage package, which provides drawers beneath the front seats, a front armrest and storage nets in the boot.

There is also a technical package, which includes parking sensor, rain sensing wipers, Coming Home and anti-dazzle rear-view mirror, and the Winter package, with heated wiper nozzles and headlight wipers.

Another novelty recently introduced on the Ibiza range is the possibility of adding leather upholstery to the sporty seats, an optional element that is not only available on the Spanish brand’s two sportiest models, but on the Style and Sport trims as well.

Furthermore, the Ibiza FR is available with the new adaptor for the new generation of portable Tom Tom navigators, which joins the current adaptor to plug in the Tom Tom One V4 navigator.

Finally, the new Ibiza FR is equipped with 215/40 tyres on 17 inch Cosmos Silver ‘Aera’ alloy rims as standard, and optionally in Titanium colour.

The following elements round off the list of optional equipment -- front and rear head airbags + side airbags, volumetric alarm, panoramic sunroof, heated front seats, bi-xenon headlights + AFS + headlight washers, iPod compatible USB port, USB port + Bluetooth connection, metallic paint, Emoción red paint and Custom color paint.

Ferrer
02-04-2010, 05:39 AM
Seat Ibiza FR #8

Ferrer
02-04-2010, 05:47 AM
Seat Ibiza FR #9

Ferrer
02-04-2010, 05:53 AM
Seat Ibiza FR #10

Ferrer
02-04-2010, 05:58 AM
Seat Ibiza FR #11

Ferrer
02-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Seat Ibiza FR #12

VOGUE_MAN
02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I have a soft spot for Seats and nice looking wagons so I quite like it but I wonder about the 1.2 TDI in a car that's not really that small.

Dino Scuderia
02-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Bangle, is that you?

Bangle goes to Korea design school and comes back with this.

Ferrer
03-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Seat Ibiza ST #2

Ferrer
05-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Seat Ibiza ST #3

Ferrer
05-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Seat Ibiza ST #4

Ferrer
05-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Seat Ibiza ST #5