PDA

View Full Version : Superformance Corvette Grand Sport

carreragt10
05-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Superformance Corvette Grand Sport

THE CORVETTE® GRAND SPORT HISTORY

In 1962, with the blessing of Chevrolet’s senior management, Zora Arkus-Duntov initiated a program to create a competitive road racer based on the newly designed Corvette C-2 Stingray™.

Duntov’s objective was to use the element of surprise to unleash 125 high horsepower, superior handling race cars to the international road racing community. He based his racer on the footprint of a street capable/legal car.

The Corvette Grand Sport racer eventually qualified as a GT production car within the realms governing international rules and regulations. However, on hearing of Duntov’s plan to make the racer available to independent road racers, albeit without the official G.M. endorsement, G.M. executives stopped the program with immediate effect.

At this point in time, only 5 corvettes had been completed. General Motors instructed Duntov to destroy all the prototypes. However, miraculously, all the prototypes escaped destruction. Elusively, these rare Corvette Grand Sports were to establish their place in automobile racing history, via responsible and passionate private racers. The heritage of the Corvette Grand Sport was thereby preserved for future generations.

PRESENTLY

The original Corvette Grand Sports are all privately owned or held within private collections. These racers are extremely high in value and are jealously coveted. Their value is determined by an element of mystique, the mystery of the unknown… Had this rarity been tested, who knows what might have been?

The opportunity to own and share in the Corvette Grand Sport experience is now finally within your grasp… Superformance and Duntov Motor Company have painstakingly reproduced the chassis, body parts and all accessories needed to replicate this extraordinary car.

YES… The SUPERFORMANCE CORVETTE GRAND SPORT coupe or roadster can now be yours. This spectacular dream street car will be offered as a complete TKM [turn key minus] unit, awaiting your personal choice of engine and transmission. Technical originality will be observed with discipline and precision.

Engines:

ENGINES and TRANSMISSIONS
The Corvette Grand Sport originally raced with several different engines with Muncie 4 speed Manual transmissions. In its racing debut early in 1963, the car sported a production 360 HP, 327 CID fuel injected motor and a “stock” appearance. The most serious factory engine was a 377 cubic inch displacement, all-aluminum small block with four Weber sidedraft carburetors, rated 550 hp (410 kW) at 6400 rpm.

ENGINE OPTIONS
Through our GMPP partner a variety of GM crate engine options from small to big blocks are available.

CONSTRUCTION
Factory built and assembled by one of the world’s largest specialty car manufacturers, you will be assured of the same quality, continuity and attention to detail offered in every Superformance product.

• Original fiberglass fabricated body parts allowing for weight reduction
• Tubular steel frame construction
• Chassis situated on 15” X 8” front and 15” X 10” real knock off wheels and Goodyear tires.
• Original interior replica… Featuring custom upholstered seats, interior carpeting, lap type seat belts, a wood rim steering wheel and original style shifter.

EXCLUSIONS: engine, transmission, or driveshaft.

http://www.superformancedistribution.com/Corvette.pdf

carreragt10
05-15-2009, 11:48 AM
Superformance Corvette Grand Sport #02

cmcpokey
05-15-2009, 12:03 PM
i approve of this message.

Ferrer
05-15-2009, 12:13 PM
So correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't use a Corvette as a base, it's a whole new car?

LeonOfTheDead
05-15-2009, 12:15 PM
So correct me if I'm wrong, but this doesn't use a Corvette as a base, it's a whole new car?

yup, a genuine replica it seems.

Dino Scuderia
05-15-2009, 12:22 PM

You can see all Superformance cars here:

Superformance | Home (http://www.superformance.com/)

cmcpokey
05-15-2009, 12:28 PM
thats kinda what they do. build nearly exact replicas from scratch. and they generally do very good work as well.

carreragt10
05-15-2009, 12:51 PM
It is a great builder of South Africa makes great reproductions of classic sports 60 :cool:

W.R.
05-16-2009, 02:35 AM
550 bhp? nice.... Very well done replicas too.

carreragt10
08-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Superformance Corvette Grand Sport #03

cargirl1990
08-20-2009, 09:17 PM
for pennies a day, you can contribute to the Marney's First Car Foundation.

pimento
08-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I imagine you're going to need a little more than mere pennies there, Marney.

cargirl1990
08-20-2009, 10:41 PM
its so purdy though!! it may be a replica, but its so beautiful!!

Ferrer
11-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Superformance Corvette Grand Sport #4

Ferrer
11-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Superformance Corvette Grand Sport #5

Ferrer
11-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Superformance Corvette Grand Sport #6

Ferrer
11-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Superformance Corvette Grand Sport #7