PDA

View Full Version : BMW 5-Series (F07) Gran Turismo 2009-2017

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 07:31 AM
• BMW is once again defining a brand-new segment in the automobile market. The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo combines elegance, space, comfort and variability in truly unique style. As an attractive, future-oriented extension of the BMW 5 Series, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is quite unparalleled worldwide in the upper middle segment, combining the characteristic features of a prestige saloon, a modern, highly versatile Sports Activity Vehicle, and a classic Gran Turismo in brand-new, unprecedented style.

• Through its body design, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo combines the proportions so typical of a BMW, an elegantly stretched silhouette and a coupé-like roofline, as well as four doors with frameless windows to create one complete, harmonious unit. The front view of the car animates powerful dynamism through the sheer presence of the upright BMW kidney grille, large air intakes and dual round headlights slanted back at an attractive angle. For the first time the daytime driving light function is provided by corona rings with LED technology. Boasting clear-cut horizontal lines, the rear end comes with that characteristic look of width, power and muscle further enhanced by L-shaped rear light clusters with homogenously illuminated rows of lights in LED technology.

• The luxurious and, for a car with this kind of coupé-like silhouette, surprisingly generous and variable interior gives both the driver and passengers a spontaneous feeling of comfort and well-being. This superior feeling is further enhanced by comfortable entry to the car, the slightly elevated seating position, the large window areas, the optional panorama glass roof, as well as exquisite materials and supreme quality of finish.

• Flexibly adjustable, the interior of the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo enables the driver and passengers to vary the generous space inside the car as they wish to their individual, personal requirements. In their standard position, the rear seats offer the passengers the same kind of legroom as in the BMW 7 Series combined with the same headroom as in the BMW X5. In this configuration, luggage capacity is already an ample 440 litres or 15.4 cu ft. Thanks to the partition behind the rear seats, the passenger and luggage compartments are separated acoustically and in terms of climate conditions from one another like in a saloon. When required, the rear seats may be moved individually to the front by up to 100 millimetres or almost 4", with legroom still remaining the same as in the BMW 5 Series Saloon and an increase in luggage capacity to 590 litres or 20.7 cu ft. And after folding down the rear-seat backrests together with the partition, finally, luggage space increases to its maximum capacity of 1,700 litres or 59.5 cu ft.

• Offering unique functionality, the two-piece tailgate on the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo provides exceptional variability and maximum comfort in loading the luggage compartment. Opening the small, sedan-like luggage compartment lid beneath the rear window, with the tailgate as such remaining closed, the driver and passengers are able to conveniently load the rear compartment without causing any unpleasant noise, draughts or changes in temperature within the passenger compartment. To load large and bulky objects, on the other hand, all they have to do is open the large tailgate for maximum convenience.

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 07:36 AM
BMW 5 Series GT #2

RacingManiac
05-22-2009, 07:40 AM
X6 lowered? lol

IMO the new facia looks even worse than the old one....and I never liked the current 5 series as a whole, even the M5....

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 07:40 AM
BMW 5 Series GT #3

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 07:47 AM
BMW 5 Series GT #4

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 07:53 AM
BMW 5 Series GT #5

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 07:57 AM
BMW 5 Series GT #6

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 08:01 AM
BMW 5 Series GT #7

LeonOfTheDead
05-22-2009, 08:05 AM
BMW 5 Series GT #4

lol, pics 5 and 6 are probably there to show as the double open of the boot is pointless and will probably never used.
I like the possibility of having a large opening and but also the option to to open just the truck without let cold/hot air entering the cockpit.
Unfortunately for it, the Skoda Superb can count on a much larger opening in this configuration.

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 08:05 AM
BMW 5 Series GT #8

RacingManiac
05-22-2009, 08:10 AM
lol, pics 5 and 6 are probably there to show as the double open of the boot is pointless and will probably never used.
I like the possibility of having a large opening and but also the option to to open just the truck without let cold/hot air entering the cockpit.
Unfortunately for it, the Skoda Superb can count on a much larger opening in this configuration.

Wonder why they didn't go with the traditional route of a opening hatch window....you only need the low loading deck height when you are loading big heavy stuff, and in which case you would opening the whole hatch. For grocery and stuff you would open the window. Instead of opening the lower portion and you had to bend over to do that in this configuration...

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 08:11 AM
BMW 5 Series GT #9

LeonOfTheDead
05-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Wonder why they didn't go with the traditional route of a opening hatch window....you only need the low loading deck height when you are loading big heavy stuff, and in which case you would opening the whole hatch. For grocery and stuff you would open the window. Instead of opening the lower portion and you had to bend over to do that in this configuration...

the only reason why I would considering it is the possibility to open the trunk without "opening" the interior too, as in SUVs or hatches.
With such a small opening though, it's pointless.

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 08:15 AM
BMW 5 Series GT #10

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 08:16 AM
BMW 5 Series GT #11

cargirl1990
05-22-2009, 09:05 AM
me likes! thats ALL im going to say.

Cotterik
05-22-2009, 09:29 AM
i am absolutely not kidding when i say that my stomach got a nasty churn when i first saw this car. genuinely. its revolting and unecessary. in such economically challenging times why take the risk and invest in a car that doesnt even fit in any particular market?

cargirl1990
05-22-2009, 09:32 AM
i am absolutely not kidding when i say that my stomach got a nasty churn when i first saw this car. genuinely. its revolting and unecessary. in such economically challenging times why take the risk and invest in a car that doesnt even fit in any particular market?

you have a point there... :(

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Precisely because they are challenging.

digitalcraft
05-22-2009, 10:01 AM
A 5 door is a new market segment? Wut?

f6fhellcat13
05-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Precisely because they are challenging.

I don't really thing they're gonna hit the jackpot with this one, though.:rolleyes:
I would have rather seen them put that Gina concept into production that this, at least that had a few slightly interesting aspects, though admittedly was just as dumb as a 5 "GT".

LeonOfTheDead
05-22-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't really thing they're gonna hit the jackpot with this one, though.:rolleyes:
I would have rather seen them put that Gina concept into production that this, at least that had a few slightly interesting aspects, though admittedly was just as dumb as a 5 "GT".

I think this could sell well. 50/60 years old business man who drives a lot and needs a taller car/seat because his back starts hurting.
buy an MPV.

The GINA should have been a sort of preview for the new Z4. After having seen the Z4 in the flesh, I thought it was a poitless TT designed as an SLK with a Z4 style.
Give me the GINA.

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 11:03 AM
I think this could sell well. 50/60 years old business man who drives a lot and needs a taller car/seat because his back starts hurting.
buy an MPV.
He likes a bit of performance too.

f6fhellcat13
05-22-2009, 11:05 AM
buy an MPV.

If he drives a lot, there are several other German brands that would cater to his softer-suspended needs. He could also still, if he so desired, have massive amounts of power and what have you.
By MPV, do you mean R Klasse? ;)

LeonOfTheDead
05-22-2009, 11:19 AM
He likes a bit of performance too.

correction: he likes speeding on the motorway.

I honestly never saw a 5 series driven hard and properly on a real road, just 530d Estate doing 200 km/h on the motorway or X5 doing 100 km/h in the downtown. Actually, I saw just a few BMWs (or other sporty cars) properly driven.

LeonOfTheDead
05-22-2009, 11:21 AM
If he drives a lot, there are several other German brands that would cater to his softer-suspended needs. He could also still, if he so desired, have massive amounts of power and what have you.
By MPV, do you mean R Klasse? ;)

Both yes.:D
BMW is cool though. 90% of 1 Series are purchased by morons as much as A3. There are some Alberts here and there purchasing the 1 Series, or the Mini, for what it can do, but unfortunately they are a minority.

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 11:37 AM
correction: he likes speeding on the motorway.

I honestly never saw a 5 series driven hard and properly on a real road, just 530d Estate doing 200 km/h on the motorway or X5 doing 100 km/h in the downtown. Actually, I saw just a few BMWs (or other sporty cars) properly driven.
Well isn't that the point of this (and a grand tourer)? To travel at high speeds in supreme comfort.

This isn't a sportscar, nor it will behave like one. It's just a fast mile eater. I like for that, not because it can give me the ultimate thrill in a mountain road. If I had to choose a car for this it certainly wouldn't be this one.

Revo
05-22-2009, 11:39 AM
This makes 5-series appealing again. Grrreat!

Nevermind the fancy PR talk, this is a direct competitor to Mercedes CLS-class and other so-called 4dr coupes. There is a market.

...90% of 1 Series are purchased by morons as much as A3....
What kind of statistics is that? Leon-statistics?

cargirl1990
05-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Both yes.:D
BMW is cool though. 90% of 1 Series are purchased by morons as much as A3. There are some Alberts here and there purchasing the 1 Series, or the Mini, for what it can do, but unfortunately they are a minority.

are you referring to albertans as people who are stupid enough to buy Mini's, 1 Series's and A3's. im just curious. :)

Ferrer
05-22-2009, 11:48 AM
are you referring to albertans as people who are stupid enough to buy Mini's, 1 Series's and A3's. im just curious. :)
I'm Albert.

And please do put Audi and my name in the same sentence. Just don't.

cargirl1990
05-22-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm Albert.

And please do put Audi and my name in the same sentence. Just don't.

im sorry!!!!! i feel like an idiot!
( and i ain't tellin nobody my real name! )

LeonOfTheDead
05-22-2009, 12:53 PM
This makes 5-series appealing again. Grrreat!

Nevermind the fancy PR talk, this is a direct competitor to Mercedes CLS-class and other so-called 4dr coupes. There is a market.

What kind of statistics is that? Leon-statistics?

Just observing who drives those cars on the roads.
I know you, as Ferrer, owns a 1 Series, and that's fine with me.
But I mainly see morons in them, as Cayenne owners are usually tasteless people, or Continental GTs owners are completely different from Boorkland/Azure/Arnage owners and such.

It's not a problem with the car, but with the status symbol people and the brands put over them.

Like, an Elise mk1 owner 10 years ago was a real enthusiast. Now an Elise owner could be the ultimate duchebag pretending to be an enthusiast, since Lotus is cool again, and people but it and other cars/products just for it.

Or even Macs. I purchased one for my father and we both like it, I wanted something more user friedly and bugs-free, especially considering he is very good at messing with a computer.
But on the other hand a lot of people buy Macs just because they are white, cool and because...it's cute!

Roentgen
05-22-2009, 05:13 PM
It's ugly, it's pointless, and I'm sure it'll be expensive. WHY OH WHY OH WHY??!! T_T

Black Edition
05-22-2009, 05:28 PM
i like the previous 5-series better

LTSmash
05-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Remember when BMW made a car back in the day called the E30 M3?

05-22-2009, 07:37 PM
i don't really mind the idea of a slightly taller fastback, but BMW's execution needs quite a bit of work

clutch-monkey
05-22-2009, 08:40 PM
that's a huge ass
headlights look better, but that lower grille doesn't suit..

Street_Dreamer
05-23-2009, 05:19 AM
Headlights are lovely.
Everything else sucks; revolting car.

LeonOfTheDead
05-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Remember when BMW made a car back in the day called the E30 M3?

I saw one a year ago.
BMW has quite changed.

cargirl1990
05-23-2009, 01:56 PM
I saw one a year ago.
BMW has quite changed.

thats because Chris Bangle is crazy talented. i like his style. :D

LeonOfTheDead
05-23-2009, 02:18 PM
thats because Chris Bangle is crazy talented. i like his style. :D

it isn't that the E30 (M3 or not) was a good looking car, it was definitely purer than a modern M3 E92.

Ferrer
05-23-2009, 02:50 PM
it isn't that the E30 (M3 or not) was a good looking car, it was definitely purer than a modern M3 E92.
You need to drive a Z4M Coupé.

LeonOfTheDead
05-23-2009, 03:01 PM
You need to drive a Z4M Coupé.

I'm sure that's a good car, I like it.
I just can't like the new M3 E92. Too powerful, too big, too heavy.
And butt-ugly.

Ferrer
05-23-2009, 03:03 PM
And butt-ugly.
And then there's the 335i.

LeonOfTheDead
05-23-2009, 03:04 PM
And then there's the 335i.

it's still too big being a 3 Series. More precisely it looks bigger and heavier than what it really is. And the butt is still ugly.
The 1 Series Coupe was supposed to be the solution, but it isn't that much smaller or lighter, or even cheaper. And it's even uglier.

Ferrer
05-23-2009, 03:09 PM
it's still too big being a 3 Series. More precisely it looks bigger and heavier than what it really is. And the butt is still ugly.
The 1 Series Coupe was supposed to be the solution, but it isn't that much smaller or lighter, or even cheaper. And it's even uglier.
Possibly but if you want a brilliant drive and need some practicality or can't afford to have a dedicated weekend toy you can't do much better than a BMW.

LeonOfTheDead
05-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Possibly but if you want a brilliant drive and need some practicality or can't afford to have a dedicated weekend toy you can't do much better than a BMW.

Sure.
As a daily performing drive it's the best choice you have.
I just think they are a bit too...Mercedes-Benz-anided, if you understand me.
Like, a Civic Type R stayed pretty loyal to its philosophy, despite the whole segmetn moving to turbocharged engines, and so the Clio RS.
BMW became too comfortable, too equipped with various gizmos, too large.
Despite being the best option, I think they could be a bit better than what they are now.
But it's a general problem, it regards also Alfa Romeos, Ferraris, Porsches.
It's the usual problem of customers wanting everything from the same car.
It's the SUV-flu.

clutch-monkey
05-23-2009, 03:35 PM
And butt-ugly.

i dunno it makes a pretty good substitute for the old M5 imo

Ferrer
05-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Sure.
As a daily performing drive it's the best choice you have.
I just think they are a bit too...Mercedes-Benz-anided, if you understand me.
Like, a Civic Type R stayed pretty loyal to its philosophy, despite the whole segmetn moving to turbocharged engines, and so the Clio RS.
BMW became too comfortable, too equipped with various gizmos, too large.
Despite being the best option, I think they could be a bit better than what they are now.
But it's a general problem, it regards also Alfa Romeos, Ferraris, Porsches.
It's the usual problem of customers wanting everything from the same car.
It's the SUV-flu.
I agree with you, current Bimmers aren't what they used to. In fact current cars aren't what they used to be full stop.

However look at what has Alfa done. Back in the E30 days they had the 75. That was a thoroughbred. Now we have the 159 which is a posh Vectra with a Holden engine. Or look at Lancia, they had the Delta Integrale and now the best you can have a streched Bravo which looks like a van and has an automatic. Porsche Cayenne or Porsche 928? And so it goes on...

On that basis BMWs aren't that bad. You could even consider them quite good bearing in mind the circumstances.

The problem is the budget. At the lower end of the scale you've got to be selective on what you want.

f6fhellcat13
05-23-2009, 03:41 PM
And butt-ugly.

I agree.
Also, I think it's a shame when a car outgrows its engine configuration, especially if it is one as nice as the BMW straight 6.
I guess I am a bit of a hypocrite though, as I wouldn't have complained when the M3 went from 4 cylinders to 6.
Having not driven the E90-93, so all your armchair expert warnings should be going off, I think the 3 Series is as large as it can get while still maintaining the nimbleness and crisp handling it's so famous for.
And, of course, if Chris Bangle and friends worked for Ivan the Terrible he wouldn't have gouged their eyes out, he would've used those keep-eyes-open things and cemented them to the floor of a showroom so they'd be forced to endlessly look at their designs.

IBrake4Rainbows
05-24-2009, 12:11 AM
Obesity, it seems, has affected the Germans.

TVR IS KING
05-24-2009, 05:44 AM
X6 lowered? lol

That's what hit me.
I love BMW. They make great looking cars. I don't even mind the X6, it just looks like a sporty X5, even if there isn't really a market for it. And hey...who's ever turned down a twin-charged V8? Shit!
But this is all wrong. Every line and angle on it looks wrong.

Kitdy
05-23-2011, 12:18 PM
I am glad to report that in America at least, this car is selling terribly. 2XXX sales per year when BMW was targeting 4,000-8,000.

Glad to see that Ferrer once again, has it all wrong.

Except for Audis... But he bought one.

So he is wrong yet again.

NSXType-R
05-23-2011, 12:20 PM
I am glad to report that in America at least, this car is selling terribly. 2XXX sales per year when BMW was targeting 4,000-8,000.

Glad to see that Ferrer once again, has it all wrong.

Except for Audis... But he bought one.

So he is wrong yet again.

Yay!

Can they let it die now? Or do they need to make a 3 series GT to really see how badly it would sell?

Kitdy
05-23-2011, 12:33 PM
Yay!

Can they let it die now? Or do they need to make a 3 series GT to really see how badly it would sell?

There are plans for the 3GT too, yeah? Let's hope that fails as well!

Woo!

Ferrer
05-23-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm used to being wrong, so it's not a problem.

On the other hand if the photocopier hadn't been stuck at 150%...

The concept can be right, the execution is what fails.

Or maybe I'm wrong again.

Who knows.

EDIT From the spy pics looks like like they sent the machine to Xerox before designing the 3er GT.

NSXType-R
05-24-2011, 08:47 AM
There are plans for the 3GT too, yeah? Let's hope that fails as well!

Woo!

Just a wild guess. I don't think they would lose money on it, they can just ship the cars over to China. Plenty of people are willing to buy them there.

Why is it that the 5 Series GT would do so badly while the X6 does so well? The proportions are just about the same in terms of looks- the only thing the 5 series is missing is 4WD. Maybe that's the reason! :D

(Needs to be a SUV to sell in the USA.)

Now all BMW really needs to make are more wagons.

It's odd that Cadillac is crazy enough to make a wagon while Honda and BMW aren't doing much. I miss the 70's Civic wagon.

thebrochureman
05-24-2011, 09:36 AM
I havnt seen many 5 Series GT in the UK, must be selling terrible in the UK as well. The X6 and 5 Series GT are to BMW which i realy don't like.

ScionDriver
05-24-2011, 09:47 AM
I believe I've only seen 1 or 2 GTs since they came out. Hopefully it will die soon enough. Each of the times I have seen one, when I saw it from behind I thought "What is that?" because I had completely forgotten about it b/c it's so awful and then I saw the front and was like "Oh yeah, that horrible BMW GT. Why would you buy that?"

Ferrer
05-24-2011, 09:57 AM
Why is it that the 5 Series GT would do so badly while the X6 does so well? The proportions are just about the same in terms of looks- the only thing the 5 series is missing is 4WD. Maybe that's the reason! :D
The 5er GT can actually be had in four wheel drive guise.

It's odd that Cadillac is crazy enough to make a wagon while Honda and BMW aren't doing much. I miss the 70's Civic wagon.
That's because Cadillac wants to appear in Commie Yuro's buying radar.

Even if it won't.

Ferrer
05-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Big in China #12

Ferrer
05-19-2013, 02:56 PM
Big in China #13

Ferrer
05-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Big in China #14

Ferrer
05-19-2013, 03:18 PM