PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe...Surprisingly Good?

PRC777
05-28-2009, 10:32 AM
The test drivers of CNET.com rated the Genesis coupe 4 out of 5 stars for its "excellent handling and a powerful, efficient engine" and " a very affordable price" (base MSRP: a "low" $29,500). Honestly, do you guys think that the Genesis coupe can stand up with sports cars such as the Evo X or maybe an Impreza?
And what about Hyundai's "rep"? Do you think the Genesis is enough for us car enthusiasts give Hyundai a little respect after their debut with both the Genesis Coupe and sedan?

At first, I thought this car would be just another Tiburon, for better or for worse. :cool:

Here's the link for the Genesis Review:
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Coupe/Hatchback reviews - CNET Reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com/coupe-hatchback/2010-hyundai-genesis-coupe/4505-10867_7-33657319.html?tag=smallCarouselArea.4)

mclaren_crazy
05-28-2009, 11:12 AM
I never even thought about the EVO X or Impreza being its competition. I see it as a lighter, better handling, more fuel efficient and less expensive alternative to a mustang coupe

RacingManiac
05-28-2009, 11:12 AM
I have my personal prejudice against Korean cars, but if the Sedan was good, I don't see why the Coupe wouldn't be....besides, other than the 2nd gen Tiburon, the coupes have been good looking cars to start with....

As an aside though, CNET is not what I'd consider as automotive authority....

digitalcraft
05-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Anyone have any insight as to why they did go with the same name for two different cars?

LeonOfTheDead
05-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Anyone have any insight as to why they did go with the same name for two different cars?

They aren't the only, Mercedes-Benz E Sedan VS E Coupe, just as a recent example.

Rockefella
05-28-2009, 11:51 AM

I think the Genesis embodies Hyundai's idea of a revolution. Making that name into their premiere sedan and coupe will probably lead to new models in the future, if you get what I'm trying to say here. I wouldn't be surprised if they ditched models like the Accent and Sonata in the future for something new.

f6fhellcat13
05-28-2009, 12:03 PM
I'll admit that the Genesis is a good car, and a great step forward for Hyundai, but there's something about it that would make me go Mustang. I don't know if it's the average/ugly styling or its Koreaness that make me think that, but I do.
About that last point; I can intellectually accept that there are good Korean cars (and Aveos ain't 'em, Fiz), but I have yet to get over the immediate gut-feeling Oh-god-it's-a-Hyundai part.

Ferrer
05-28-2009, 12:09 PM
do you guys think that the Genesis coupe can stand up with sports cars such as the Evo X or maybe an Impreza?
Since they aren't sportscars, not very well probably. Very different kind of car.

I want it to come to Europe.

cmcpokey
05-28-2009, 12:25 PM
had it been out a year ago, there might have been one in my driveway.

if fits in a very neglected gap. the $30k, rwd, non-american, 2 door, 4 seater sportscar. pretty much the rx-8, 135i, bare bones G37.... and im out. exactly what i was looking for, and exactly what i got, but i had to go used to get what i wanted for a good price.

RacingManiac
05-28-2009, 01:01 PM
nowadays I'd be looking a 370Z....

Bob
05-28-2009, 01:06 PM
I took a look at one around here and was really impressed. The 3.8 maybe a mustang competitor yeah, but look at the 2.0 turbo- 22,000 and you get a rwd, manual car with a solid engine and imo, wonderful interior. seats are incredibly good too. and that engine has easy potential to be tuned as far as you want to take it...

Ferrer
05-28-2009, 01:24 PM
nowadays I'd be looking a 370Z....
But if you need 4 seats the Z won't do.

switters78
05-28-2009, 01:43 PM

Also BMW 3-Series and Infiniti G37...:)

On paper it seems like a good car and as cmcpokey said, it's filling a desirable gap occupied by few, but I'm definitely one that's always had a stigma about Korean cars, as I always buy German. But as already mentioned, this could be a turning point for them, and I'd certainly give one a test drive to see what's up. I see a silver one drive by my house every few days, and it's not bad looking. I don't like the typical Asian car angry face though. It would be nice to see car designers realize that aggression is not the only way to convey a competitive spirit...

cmcpokey
05-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Also BMW 3-Series and Infiniti G37...:)

On paper it seems like a good car and as cmcpokey said, it's filling a desirable gap occupied by few, but I'm definitely one that's always had a stigma about Korean cars, as I always buy German. But as already mentioned, this could be a turning point for them, and I'd certainly give one a test drive to see what's up. I see a silver one drive by my house every few days, and it's not bad looking. I don't like the typical Asian car angry face though. It would be nice to see car designers realize that aggression is not the only way to convey a competitive spirit...

i agree with everything you said, just let me play counterpoint.

i also would have preferred a euro car, but the options arent really there. i didnt want a bmw for reasons not to be outlined here. MB is a bit too pompous and not really a sportscar (and i couldnt afford a C63), and audi? no, just no. so that sent me to the land of the rising sun, and found the G35 to be an outstanding, if not a bit rough around the edges, car. so while the europeans do a decent job, the japanese really have this field locked up. and since having driven a 135i, i still prefer my G.

as far as the styling is concerned, toyota (non-lexus) doesnt go for the really angry look, and all of their cars look a bit blah. or awful if you prefer. the japanese brands dont have the design language that goes back decades, so they are still trying to piece it together. i think infiniti is the only one that has a very consolidated theme among all of its models, and they arent very aggressive. so i think as the brands mature they will start to subdue and become more consolidated. but i think it is also what the japanese consumers are after, and so thats why they look that way.

Ferrer
05-28-2009, 03:39 PM
i didnt want a bmw for reasons not to be outlined here.
I'm sorry but, why?

LeonOfTheDead
05-28-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm sorry but, why?

they are Nazis, didn't you know?!
stupidly kidding

cmcpokey
05-28-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm sorry but, why?

my whole curse thing... BMWs scare the hell out of me. i am generally afraid for my life when im in them. the driving of the 135 a few weeks ago was very nerve wracking.

EVO10 FQ-400
05-28-2009, 05:26 PM
mmm no thanks its a Hyundai sorry.

blingbling
05-28-2009, 05:36 PM
I have my personal prejudice against Korean carslike the prejudice north americans had when japan started to export here? you need to grow up asap

digitalcraft
05-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Hyundai no longer have a bad reputation for durability, I don't have a problem with it. My only (small) complaint is its not my favorite looking car. It's not bad, but it's not awesome. I'm glad Hyundai is doing well though, and I think they deserve this car and the sedan version to sell well.

(I still liked the styling of the Tiburon 2nd gen better)

Oh by the way, I was doing some reading and the genesis is not the replacement for the Tiburon.
New Car Reviews : R.I.P. Hyundai Tiburon: 1997-2008 (http://www.autotropolis.com/cs/blogs/jro/archive/2008/04/18/Hyundai-Tiburon_3A00_-1997_2D00_2008.aspx)

According to wikipedia there will be a new tiburon someday, and probably still front wheel 1.6-2.0 liter turbo.

Roentgen
05-28-2009, 06:57 PM
It probably is a big step for the Korean car market, probably very good car too. But it's so ugly I don't think I ever want to even see one.

NicFromLA
05-28-2009, 07:54 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I like a car with a little racing in it's pedigree.

Ferrer
05-28-2009, 10:48 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I like a car with a little racing in it's pedigree.
These days it's difficult to find an affordable car with proper racing pedigree.

clutch-monkey
05-29-2009, 12:26 AM

i'm sure it will get entered in something.. and the 2.0L turbo engine is from mitsubishi.

switters78
05-29-2009, 01:30 AM
the japanese brands dont have the design language that goes back decades, so they are still trying to piece it together. i think infiniti is the only one that has a very consolidated theme among all of its models, and they arent very aggressive. so i think as the brands mature they will start to subdue and become more consolidated. but i think it is also what the japanese consumers are after, and so thats why they look that way.

I think that's certainly part of it, although I can think of some classic Japanese models that were designed very nicely (Mazda Cosmos, Toyota 2000GT, Datsun 240Z to name a few). I think perhaps the reason for the appeal of aggressive looking cars could also be tied to population numbers in general. It seems that aggressive behavior in nature occurs most frequently in densely populated areas where animals have to defend territory, fight for food, mates, etc. I think as the world population grows (and Japan is very densely populated!) a more aggressive mentality is slowly seeping into human culture, which would naturally find its way into not only automobiles but other aspects of culture as well.

That said, I agree that the Asian companies lack the lengthy heritage of, say, Mercedes-Benz, and thus the maturity, so it'll be interesting to see where they go as time progresses. However, a company like MB had the fortune of developing when the world wasn't quite as fast-paced as it is today. I think it's going to be more difficult for modern companies to find their stride than it was for an automaker 50-100 years ago, because there's more competition and less time and space to prove oneself before public desires change again. Back then it wasn't necessary to reinvent the wheel every 5 years just to stay in the game, but times have changed and I think a lot of brands get confused trying to stay on top of what people want instead of focusing on their ideal, and I definitely notice this more with the Japanese marques since, as you said, they don't have the history to draw from.

I've always liked the G35s...a buddy of mine has one...Infiniti has one of Japan's more cohesive design identities for sure, although they too seem to be getting a little angry lately :D

LeonOfTheDead
05-29-2009, 03:10 AM

Let them start from somewhere though.
And no, drifting ain't racing.

I think that's certainly part of it, although I can think of some classic Japanese models that were designed very nicely (Mazda Cosmos, Toyota 2000GT, Datsun 240Z to name a few). I think perhaps the reason for the appeal of aggressive looking cars could also be tied to population numbers in general. It seems that aggressive behavior in nature occurs most frequently in densely populated areas where animals have to defend territory, fight for food, mates, etc. I think as the world population grows (and Japan is very densely populated!) a more aggressive mentality is slowly seeping into human culture, which would naturally find its way into not only automobiles but other aspects of culture as well.

That said, I agree that the Asian companies lack the lengthy heritage of, say, Mercedes-Benz, and thus the maturity, so it'll be interesting to see where they go as time progresses. However, a company like MB had the fortune of developing when the world wasn't quite as fast-paced as it is today. I think it's going to be more difficult for modern companies to find their stride than it was for an automaker 50-100 years ago, because there's more competition and less time and space to prove oneself before public desires change again. Back then it wasn't necessary to reinvent the wheel every 5 years just to stay in the game, but times have changed and I think a lot of brands get confused trying to stay on top of what people want instead of focusing on their ideal, and I definitely notice this more with the Japanese marques since, as you said, they don't have the history to draw from.

I've always liked the G35s...a buddy of mine has one...Infiniti has one of Japan's more cohesive design identities for sure, although they too seem to be getting a little angry lately :D

Do you know how old Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Nissan are?
Only Mitsubishi (Motors) is 39 years old, desptie the first Mitsubishi Company being enstablished 139 tears ago, and Subaru is 55 year old.

It's not just something related to the time since their foundation, its something about global market, social behavior, their own cultures and of the markets they want to enter, and much more.

Ferrer
05-29-2009, 04:29 AM
Do you know how old Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Nissan are?
Only Mitsubishi (Motors) is 39 years old, desptie the first Mitsubishi Company being enstablished 139 tears ago, and Subaru is 55 year old.

It's not just something related to the time since their foundation, its something about global market, social behavior, their own cultures and of the markets they want to enter, and much more.
And Audi has managed to forge a strong identity in just 40-odd years.

I agree with Damiano basically. Look at the covers of their car magazines. For us it's a mess, but a japanese person is able to single out every detail and enjoy it, while we prefer a simpler and more cohesive package.

LeonOfTheDead
05-29-2009, 05:03 AM
And Audi has managed to forge a strong identity in just 40-odd years.

I agree with Damiano basically. Look at the covers of their car magazines. For us it's a mess, but a japanese person is able to single out every detail and enjoy it, while we prefer a simpler and more cohesive package.

or look at a Mustang, and then look at the 500. not saying I wouldn't drive a Mustang, or that an American wouldn't like a 500 (both old and new probably), but there is a reason why the Mustang wasn't designed in Turin or the 500 in Michigan.

NicFromLA
05-29-2009, 06:16 AM
These days it's difficult to find an affordable car with proper racing pedigree.

If not the model, at least the marque. Honda and Toyota have F1 histories, Nissan races the Z, Minis rally, Fiat 500s rally, etc.

Ferrer
05-29-2009, 06:23 AM
If not the model, at least the marque. Honda and Toyota have F1 histories, Nissan races the Z, Minis rally, Fiat 500s rally, etc.
Hyundai used to have a works rally team.

LeonOfTheDead
05-29-2009, 06:26 AM

Don't know if I would count on Toyota's F1 heritage :rolleyes:

IBrake4Rainbows
05-29-2009, 06:53 AM
The Hyundai Genesis, by all accounts, is a decent vehicle for the price, that has the ability to satisfy the average consumer & enthusiast alike.

I just don't like the way it looks (shrug).

switters78
05-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Do you know how old Toyota, Honda, Mazda and Nissan are?Only Mitsubishi (Motors) is 39 years old, desptie the first Mitsubishi Company being enstablished 139 tears ago, and Subaru is 55 year old.

Ok, I stand corrected on the history. :) I still think population has something to do with it, although I'm sure Japanese culture brings unique aspects to the auto industry. Even if you look at some old Japanese cars, they don't have the angry face many cars today have. I think it's interesting that a country that embraces religions like Shinto and Buddhism can express such aggressive vernacular in their designs.

...and I've drifted off topic as usual...:D

cargirl1990
05-29-2009, 10:19 AM
i think the car looks excellent. i just read a review in Car and Driver where they pitted the Genesis against the Camaro.

digitalcraft
05-29-2009, 06:53 PM
http://images.clipartof.com/thumbnails/11963-Asian-Samurai-Warrior-Mask-Clipart-Illustration.jpg

Asian cars, especially this one.

KFA-R
05-30-2009, 01:15 AM
I saw it at the top gear live thingy in Sydney and wondered if it was good enough to have the brembo's it had strapped to it...

switters78
05-30-2009, 05:44 PM
http://images.clipartof.com/thumbnails/11963-Asian-Samurai-Warrior-Mask-Clipart-Illustration.jpg

Asian cars, especially this one.

Yes...

jump15vc
05-31-2009, 09:15 PM
i saw a new genesis coupe outside a dealership in red bull racing prep, maybe theyre taking it racing for realz?

Kitdy
05-31-2009, 09:57 PM
The red bull one I think is for Rhys Millen for drifting.

NSXType-R
06-01-2009, 02:54 PM
I've been seeing them a lot lately, and it seems to be a nice combination of everything nice.

My issue is, when will we start seeing the ricers pick this car up?

Buen
06-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Spec wise it dosen't seem to lack anything really.

I don't think they are to bad quality wise. A friend of mine has a Hyundai Getz and it has anything you would expect from a car, and it seems well put together.

As some other people said, I don't really love the looks. I mean, it look okay, sorta average, it dosen't look good tho.

2ndclasscitizen
06-02-2009, 08:34 AM

Toyota holds, or at least held, the record for most successful touring car with the 16v 4AGE Corolla, and has a big rally history.

Rockefella
06-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Hyundai used to have a works rally team.

I have the ****ing official Hyundai Rally Team shirt. That's how fresh I am

cargirl1990
06-02-2009, 10:22 PM
I have the ****ing official Hyundai Rally Team shirt. That's how fresh I am

i think Hyundia is going to kick everybodies arse in the auto industry. their cathing up pretty fast if you think about it.

Rockefella
06-03-2009, 12:14 AM
i think Hyundia is going to kick everybodies arse in the auto industry. their cathing up pretty fast if you think about it.

I realised a few years back, I just didn't think it would happen this fast.

4wheelsonline
06-03-2009, 01:54 AM
The test drivers of CNET.com rated the Genesis coupe 4 out of 5 stars for its "excellent handling and a powerful, efficient engine" and " a very affordable price" (base MSRP: a "low" $29,500). Honestly, do you guys think that the Genesis coupe can stand up with sports cars such as the Evo X or maybe an Impreza?
And what about Hyundai's "rep"? Do you think the Genesis is enough for us car enthusiasts give Hyundai a little respect after their debut with both the Genesis Coupe and sedan?

At first, I thought this car would be just another Tiburon, for better or for worse. :cool:

Here's the link for the Genesis Review:
2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Coupe/Hatchback reviews - CNET Reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com/coupe-hatchback/2010-hyundai-genesis-coupe/4505-10867_7-33657319.html?tag=smallCarouselArea.4)

Here's additional info about the car:

Hyundai stuck to its promise of aggressive pricing, making the V6 model of the car the least expensive 300 horsepower coupe in the world. The four-cylinder model has a starting price of just $22,000. That will buy you the most basic configuration, equipped with a 210-horsepower, 2.0-liter turbocharged engine. If you're looking for some more power, you'll have to pony up $25,000 for the the 306-horsepower, 3.8-liter, V6 engine model.

clutch-monkey
06-03-2009, 01:57 AM
i find it amusing that it's hyundai that beat nissan to an affordable, RWD turbocharged coupe..

Ferrer
06-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Here's additional info about the car:

Hyundai stuck to its promise of aggressive pricing, making the V6 model of the car the least expensive 300 horsepower coupe in the world. The four-cylinder model has a starting price of just $22,000. That will buy you the most basic configuration, equipped with a 210-horsepower, 2.0-liter turbocharged engine. If you're looking for some more power, you'll have to pony up $25,000 for the the 306-horsepower, 3.8-liter, V6 engine model.
The V6 Camaro actually starts at $23,040.

LeonOfTheDead
06-03-2009, 05:24 AM
The V6 Camaro actually starts at $23,040.

and you also get some free wheel weights.

mister_playboy
06-03-2009, 05:59 AM
The turbo four could use another 20 or 30 bhp, given the weight of the car. I think that would still leave enough difference in power for the V6 to be appealing. The two model appeal to different demographics, anyway.

This car seem very promising and I hope it is successful.

2ndclasscitizen
06-03-2009, 08:01 AM
It'd be piss easy to get 20-30hp more out of it, re-mapping the ECU would nearly do that on it's own.

cargirl1990
06-03-2009, 09:09 AM
I realised a few years back, I just didn't think it would happen this fast.

i think many car enthusiasts have realized that Hyundia is going to sometime or later run the big boys out of the game and beat them at their own game and make them eat their words. i hope that made sense. :D