PDA

View Full Version : Mt Cootha Classic

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 02:49 AM
This is a hillclimb held by the historic racing car club, and the first time the event has been held since 1932.

The location is within spitting distance of the CBD - makes a nice backdrop. Roughly 200 cars entered, with several hundred being turned away due to time constraints (event was held over the weekend). Some of them were run in the event the last time it was held..

i couldn't be everywhere at once so i missed out on some interesting cars, maybe a larger UCP presence next year is in order ;)

next year i'll probably just spectate, it was fun to do it this year but quite a long time between runs due to the amount of competitors.

unfortunately most of my shots on the first day were marred by a smudge on the lens, and then on the second day i decided to get clever with the camera settings... :rolleyes:

first batch of shots with an interesting fiat, somke datsuns and jim richard's in his GT2 - second shot he has the mayor on board haha

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 03:00 AM
some of the display cars were nice, the RX-7 getting a suitable garnish..

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 03:13 AM
some shots i got from a vantage point, a few of the older vehicles and some upstart in a 911..

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 03:24 AM
the camaro had some fun...the sidecars were crazy.

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 03:34 AM
a couple of top down shots as the cars looped around the hilltop, some hilarious open wheeler drop tank..thing.. and a mint exige that was out front

whiteballz
06-01-2009, 03:38 AM
Good shots sam, that wanker in the porsche needs better wheels though.

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 03:41 AM
they had some hilarious sprintcars - run on methanol, have to be pushed to start, short wheelbase, 1 gear, built to go sideways..steer with the throttle.
also a bolwell nagari (wish the barriers were lower there :( )

whiteballz
06-01-2009, 03:44 AM
I'll have to come up next year, Looks like a brilliant lineup of cars!

Come down for the fathers day classics @ eastern creek!

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 03:54 AM
Good shots sam, that wanker in the porsche needs better wheels though.
pity simmons is shut down*... and i can't afford BBS, lol

some crazy kawasaki bike i think, the bikes were a display parade (you could tell who had the priceless ones..) but some of them didn't let that hold them back..
i have quite a lot of bike pics but they were taken hastily, will add them at the end of the thread

*FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU-

henk4
06-01-2009, 04:03 AM
any more info on the Cooper T51? Owner/Driver/Chassis?

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 04:05 AM
I'll have to come up next year, Looks like a brilliant lineup of cars!

Come down for the fathers day classics @ eastern creek!

yeah, i'd reccomend it. i found a spot where you're 2-3 metres from the cars as they come down the hill, and it's just over a weekend.
i dunno about eastern creek just yet will let you know closer

Datsun comes a cropper! only minor damage to the panel thankfully.

a couple of hillclimb specials - the black one is a rotary powered, there is a similar white one with a supercharged rotary. the tires on these are ridiculously soft - like foam, can sink a finger two joints into them it seems like.

and also.. one of the most ludicrous cars of the day. a suzki mighty boy with a 6.0L V8.

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 04:08 AM
any more info on the Cooper T51? Owner/Driver/Chassis?

which car is that henk? car no. 133? i had a quick look over the programme and all i've found is a cooper climax Mk 3

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 04:16 AM
another mental car..a morris with a 13B turbo
a mini clubman GT, very aggressive car when it went around
mustang - this one had 500hp and weighed 1200kg!
a couple more older vehicles.

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 04:25 AM
a few BMW 2002's, some lotus racer (low! top that, quiggs), another ludicrously engined morris (V8), and a falcon GT.

edit: dunno what the yellow car in pic 2 is, looks like an e type that ran into a wall. interesting.
edit2: it's a Rochdale Olympic

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 04:38 AM
i followed the track on the other side, looking down on to it.
you can see on one spot i was very close,~2-3 metres from the cars. had to fiddle with the camera to get them on film, but stuffed up the settings i think..

ballast
06-01-2009, 04:48 AM
hi all
was there on sunday between dad and myself took 400 photo's haven't got all of them on the comp yet:eek:

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 04:53 AM
pic1: pooowwwaaa!
pic2: man i'm still here

also, a lotus elan S2?? a tvr, and a karmann ghia

charged
06-01-2009, 04:54 AM
edit: dunno what the yellow car in pic 2 is, looks like an e type that ran into a wall. interesting.

Rochdale Owners' Club: Olympic (http://www.rochdale-owners-club.co.uk/olympic.htm)

Its owned by Neil editor and founder of race magazine ,great mag for motorsport enthusiasts, no neons, bling or screamer pipes :)

Race Magazine - Home (http://www.racemagazine.com.au/)

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 04:54 AM
hi all
was there on sunday between dad and myself took 400 photo's haven't got all of them on the comp yet:eek:

throw 'em up in this thread if you want mate
i'll definately go again next year.

ballast
06-01-2009, 05:00 AM
having some probs uploading the photo's

whiteballz
06-01-2009, 05:03 AM
theres that weird porsche again.

I swear I know a midget that drives a car JUST like that one! I've even washed it.. :confused:

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 05:19 AM
cheers for the shot ballast :D

a volvo 144, a prince GTR, lotus europa, another fiat X1/9 (but not a prototipe this time), a nice '59 vette, the very fast pinepac mustang.

edit: lol whiteballz :p

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 05:33 AM
a few pics from the paddock...the XJS is very nice.
also the exhaust manifolds in pic 3 seem wierd, how they protrude forward.
the black ferrari was also very nice (not sure on name)

ballast
06-01-2009, 05:35 AM
some more i hope as for that porker steal some wheels if you can't aford some:D

Ferrer
06-01-2009, 05:38 AM
the black ferrari was also very nice (not sure on name)
365 gtc/4. :)

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 05:44 AM
thanks ferrer
it didn't run a great time, but sounded very nice..
my last pics! hope you enjoyed.
i'll put up what bike pics i can salvage tomorrow if anyone wants them.

edit: that mini's engine and carb setup. i need it.

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 06:01 AM
Rochdale Owners' Club: Olympic (http://www.rochdale-owners-club.co.uk/olympic.htm)

Its owned by Neil editor and founder of race magazine ,great mag for motorsport enthusiasts, no neons, bling or screamer pipes :)

Race Magazine - Home (http://www.racemagazine.com.au/)

thanks charged, just saw it in the programme. there were two of them :)

faksta
06-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Is a car on picture after Bolwell a Monza (dark red #159 coupe)?

charged
06-01-2009, 05:50 PM
thanks charged, just saw it in the programme. there were two of them :)

I think it was only only one Neil co entered the car with Bill Sherwood Bill Sherwood's Index Page (http://www.billzilla.org/). Bill was helping Neil set up the car.

Matra et Alpine
06-01-2009, 06:36 PM
also the exhaust manifolds in pic 3 seem wierd, how they protrude forward.
See that quite often in kit cars with a V8 squeezed in and pushed as far back as possible.
No room to run proper branch manifolds between the engine and body and no room underneath due to low ride height.
So get all the branching for flow sorted out and then just lead two "simple pipes" to the rear.

re the 911 alloys. If I'm looking at the correct ones, they are the right ones for the 911 model 964RS or RSR or summat. Friend competes one in local calssic races. Thems the alloys Porsche (ruf?) put on them. Will check next time at track.

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Is a car on picture after Bolwell a Monza (dark red #159 coupe)?
the camera car? that's a JWF milano GT :)

See that quite often in kit cars with a V8 squeezed in and pushed as far back as possible.
No room to run proper branch manifolds between the engine and body and no room underneath due to low ride height.
So get all the branching for flow sorted out and then just lead two "simple pipes" to the rear.
okay. the lack of space is partially due to the narrow width of the body?

re the 911 alloys. If I'm looking at the correct ones, they are the right ones for the 911 model 964RS or RSR or summat. Friend competes one in local calssic races. Thems the alloys Porsche (ruf?) put on them. Will check next time at track.
yes, i think people just refer to them as 'cup' style wheels. very cheap to pick up, got them for $1100 AUD (..including bridgestone potenza RE55S tires)
the issue i have with them is i think due to the spacing on the brakes in the 964, the offset is kinda ugly - the 'face' is pushed out, there's no lip like the fuch's. i can't help but wonder that the wieght of the central hub/part doesn't help either, as it wouldn't be so long if the face was recessed.
getting fuch's in the correct size is expensive it seems (well maybe not considering the alternative is now BBS)

i added some of the bike pics, not pictured i think but present was a buell or something to that effect? the guy next to me said they had a harley engine but shoprt wheelbase, and was bound to lift the wheel when it came through

ballast
06-02-2009, 03:03 AM
bit late on the brakes mate:eek::cool::D

clutch-monkey
06-02-2009, 03:09 AM
curses i thought no-one would catch that

LOL

that was my spin/lock up at the hair pin yes? i got asked if i'd stopped for a photo opportunity :p stopped 6 inches from the barrier :eek:

LotusLocost
06-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Nice photos Sam!
Really interesting to see all the nice cars participating! I would sure like to race a x1/9 prototipo.. It's a replica yeah?
And thank god you didn't hit that barrier :D

clutch-monkey
06-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Nice photos Sam!
Really interesting to see all the nice cars participating! I would sure like to race a x1/9 prototipo.. It's a replica yeah?
i'll check when i get home if it's a replica, it should mention it in the programme :) engine note was...aggressive:D
edit: hmmm the rudimentary online entry list only says fiat abarth X1/9

And thank god you didn't hit that barrier :D
yeah after just spending the money for the front lip and oil cooler, was a little worried.. i think dad had a close call on his run too and a few others hit the barriers, which made me feel better :o

ballast
06-02-2009, 11:20 PM
rokemrobin.spaces.live[/URL]
dad posted all the photo's from the weekend here feel free to have a look
(he doesn't get around to well anymore so there all from the hairpin)
enjoy

whiteballz
06-02-2009, 11:35 PM
I bet that was a brown trousers moment dude..

IBrake4Rainbows
06-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Roflcopter.

Off to the right of that picture, of course, is a 15 year old schoolgirl with a "Come Hither" look.

whiteballz
06-03-2009, 01:26 AM
sig worthy.

faksta
06-03-2009, 01:40 AM
the camera car? that's a JWF milano GT :)

Oh, yes, Milano of course, not Monza :o

clutch-monkey
06-03-2009, 02:05 AM
I bet that was a brown trousers moment dude..

Roflcopter.
Off to the right of that picture, of course, is a 15 year old schoolgirl with a "Come Hither" look.
LOL :p

yeah i had no idea what it was til i read the programme lol. i'm hoping to find the footage he took with that camera mount, but i suspect he'll be charging for it..

nota
06-03-2009, 04:33 AM
Old hillclimb pic of 1966 Milano (179cid Holden I-6 OHV)

[EDIT] 1964 Milano GT pictured in 1966

clutch-monkey
06-03-2009, 04:37 AM
how many were made nota? i don't seem to see any except for events like these

whiteballz
06-03-2009, 04:40 AM
Looks brilliant

mr.scruffy
06-03-2009, 04:51 PM
This is my newly imported TVR Tuscan Challenge, with the AJP TVR Speed Eight engine. If you look closely the engine is so far back the exhaust has to go forward to get the length. Have a look at underbonnet pics of the speed twelve

nota
06-03-2009, 11:58 PM
how many were made nota? i don't seem to see any except for events like these
Mate it seems about 30 Milano GT built with 8 drivers remaining

JWF Fibreglass Industries built a lot of kit-car bodies through the late fifties and early sixties. Most popular were the Milanos, which initially came as open cars, but were joined later by the Milano GT model as well.

These bodies found their way onto a whole range of chassis, were powered by many different engines, were used on both road and track. But JWF changed course and no longer built sports car bodies as other business proved more profitable.
Bolly Blog: Another Milano GT 179 (http://wwwbollyblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/another-milano-gt-179.html)

What the hell is a JWF Milano GT? (http://drivingphilosopher.blogspot.com/2009/04/what-hell-is-jwf-milano-gt.html)

The chassis was specific for this car (built by Nota) and the fiberglass body uses design elements of contemporary Ferraris. You may also see a small Cobra Daytona in it. And it's really small, about 3.5 m long, 1.4 m wide - it's small by any standard.

Typical engine choices included MG and of course the Holden I-6 in both versions. I've seen a pic of one Milano GT fitted with a Slant-Six Valiant, mounted vertically. Also Zephyr.

Btw the final JWF was the very attractive Milano GT2. Two 'works' GT2 built in 1970 for JWF owners to have fun and good success in Class-level racing, and one more subsequent for a total of three. GT2 looks different to GT, its styling inspiration was for 'something like a Lola GT' with traces of GT40 influence, but long nosed and with aft-sited cabin to suit the mechanicals. GT2 featured an unlikey combo of Matich SR3-inspired tube chassis and Holden HR front-end, diff, brakes and 179 tri-carb engine.

clutch-monkey
06-04-2009, 12:03 AM
thanks for the info nota :) i'd love to see a modern remake of one..

faksta
06-04-2009, 12:17 AM
YouTube - Milano GT MKI AT WINTON HISTORICS 2009

How did I do that? ^ :D

nota
06-04-2009, 12:25 AM
How did you do that so quickly :eek:

whiteballz
06-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Love the idle note :drool:

tyke
06-04-2009, 03:55 AM
ballast has got that url a bit wrong. It should be Robbie's Racing Pics - Windows Live (http://rokemrobin.spaces.live.com)

nota
06-04-2009, 04:16 AM
Love the idle note :drool:
Sounds very similar to my T-bucket with the hot Holden-engine, couldn't get that to hold its idle below 1500 rpm. Though a lot different to my lime green XU-1 with the Bathurst cam, its 1100 rpm idle was a lopey 'bloop .. bloop .. bloop' with the car visibly rocking side-to-side with every engine pulse :D great stuff!

faksta
06-04-2009, 06:29 AM
How did you do that so quickly :eek:

What's strange with a quickness? I have just entered an URL to YouTube and nothing more. I wasn't intending to embed it :rolleyes:

TonyS
06-04-2009, 07:17 AM
Hi all,
I am having problems downloading photos at the moment, can someone e-mail to
[email protected] any photos of the Rochdale Olympic so I can place them
on the Rochdale Owners Club: History (http://www.rochdale-owners-club.co.uk) website.
Kind regards
Tony

Rochdale Olympic on the hillclimb.

YouTube - Mt Coot-tha hillclimb

Download problem now ok, thanks to Rokem for photos, but if anyone else has Olympic photos please send.
Kind regards
Tony.
ps This is my car 902 DUF http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=rochdale+olympic&s=rec

HELP ME LOOK FOR LOST ROCHDALE OLYMPICS
www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/topics/327716/Rochdale_Olympic_help_needed#Post327716

nota
06-04-2009, 10:28 AM
What's strange with a quickness? I have just entered an URL to YouTube and nothing more. I wasn't intending to embed it :rolleyes:
This youtube shares the same pics as the ones in the link I had just posted less than 20 minutes earlier. And it opens with the exact same Milano pic which I posted for you yesterday - you're welcome btw. So I assumed, quite reasonably I think, that it wasn't coincidence and that you had quickly assembled together a compilation video of those pics with some existing footage. No I hadn't checked through youtube and hence didn't realise that a clip already existed featuring these same Milano pics.

In short, a relatively innocent albeit well meaning mistake on my part, ok?

Oh, and :rolleyes: to you to.

faksta
06-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Ah, I understand you now :)
I've had a couple shots of Milano somewhere too. I'll post them later if I find them.

clutch-monkey
06-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi all,
I am having problems downloading photos at the moment, can someone e-mail to
[email protected] any photos of the Rochdale Olympic so I can place them
on the Rochdale Owners Club: History (http://www.rochdale-owners-club.co.uk) website.
Kind regards
Tony

YouTube - Mt Coot-tha hillclimb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFAZ50jb3h0)

now that you have posted you shouldn't have any issue accessing the photo's tony :)
thanks for the vid!

clutch-monkey
06-05-2009, 05:10 PM
for further pics, there is a great slideshow here:
Motorsport Photography (http://motorsportphotography.ifp3.com/#/gallery/hrcc-cootha-classic-2009/)

faksta
06-09-2009, 05:28 AM
As promised. Source - oldracephotos.com

rpmag
07-23-2009, 04:02 AM
It was a great weekend and some great images there too!
Neil Roshier
Race Magazine

clutch-monkey
07-23-2009, 04:22 AM
rpmag;
were you competitor or spectator? if you have any extra photo's feel free to add them to this thread :)

rpmag
07-23-2009, 04:36 AM
I was one of the drivers of the Rochdale Olympic...the slower driver in fact.
I'm impressed by some of the images on this thread. If any of the photographers are interested I'd be more than happy to publish a couple in Race Magazine.

clutch-monkey
07-23-2009, 04:48 AM
you can publish any of my pics if you think they're good enough :D

nice car the olympic, any additional info or pictures of it?

rpmag
07-23-2009, 05:01 AM
Thanks, I'll try to take you up on that. Any particular place to download them from.
Info on the Olympic...what do you want to know? The basics are weight around 780kg, 2lt Fiat twin cam engine of around 150bhp.
It was taken to the even untuned, untested and was bolted together the night before! Toes was set by eye 30 minutes before the first run and this was the cars first event. The poor preparation was caused by lack of time when magazine production intruded into the car building time...damn thing work! Considering the lack of preparation we were lucky to get through the event with no mechanical problems at all and we had a great time. One week later I found the timing was 10 deg retarded, so there is more potential there. All in all it was good, Bill came 6th or 7th in class, not that this really means anything given the variety in the class. By the time I got back to Vic it was a 4500km round trip!

clutch-monkey
07-23-2009, 05:07 AM
Thanks, I'll try to take you up on that. Any particular place to download them from.
if you click on the 'go advanced' tab next to the 'post reply' at the bottom of the page, it will take you the advanced reply page, on which if you click 'manage attachments' you can upload pics directly to this site.

Info on the Olympic...what do you want to know? The basics are weight around 780kg, 2lt Fiat twin cam engine of around 150bhp.
It was taken to the even untuned, untested and was bolted together the night before! Toes was set by eye 30 minutes before the first run and this was the cars first event.
car's first event, foreign track, first time the event was held in 70 years...
no pressure :D
it is an interesting car, one which i admit did not know existed before the event :ocongrats on the result and surviving the big trip.

rpmag
07-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Oh there was pressure alright! Anyway just kept to the plan of running the car, which was not to try hard and simply have a good time! Also forget that the paint was unfinished and it was untrimmed...in a field of stunning cars. I was asked a couple of times when I was going to start work on it!
There are two Olympics in the country and around 120 still surviving in the world, so not common. It gets a lot of attention on the road, some of which is welcome!
Do you have high res versions of your images?

clutch-monkey
07-23-2009, 05:18 AM
was definately an interesting field of cars doubt i'll be able to get back in next year once word gets around.
unfortunately that's as hi res as it gets, i'm a rank amateur with photography - only do it so others can see the cars and the events really :)

rpmag
07-23-2009, 05:24 AM
OK thanks, will see what they are like downloaded.