PDA

View Full Version : Desert-Motors Magazine

pat_ernzen
06-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Hopefully there won't be any issues with me posting this here...

Desert-Motors Magazine :: May/June 2009 (http://mag.desert-motors.com/)

Check it out, let me know what you think, pass it on, etc. The more readers, the better for many reasons... so if you know anyone that might think it's kinda cool, please send it to them. If you know another forum that might get a kick out of it, please post it there. I'd really like this to become something cool and something I can continue to do for free, but without a substantial amount of downloads/reads, it's never going to happen. Thanks!

Rockefella
06-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I don't have a problem with it, it's not as if you're a new member and your first post is a link to a magazine. I actually like that you posted it, I'm a fan of your photography. Good luck Pat.

pat_ernzen
06-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks, man. I appreciate it. :)

Niko_Fx
06-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Great stuff, very well put together. Photos are superb as well.

cmcpokey
06-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I don't have a problem with it, it's not as if you're a new member and your first post is a link to a magazine. I actually like that you posted it, I'm a fan of your photography. Good luck Pat.
this

Great stuff, very well put together. Photos are superb as well.

this as well

Roentgen
06-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Nice pics and very professional too! Keep it up!

Rasmus
06-01-2009, 08:17 PM
I would gladly pay for a big format print/mag.

Spreading the word on a few forums.

clutch-monkey
06-01-2009, 08:17 PM
love the shots and the scenery. LOVE the 935
the 246 GT shoot is in there somewhere, yes?

henk4
06-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Perhaps including a link to UCP would be in order?;)

LeonOfTheDead
06-02-2009, 04:54 AM
I check DM every now and then, the shots are always special.

cargirl1990
06-02-2009, 12:00 PM
thats something that i definalty have to check into! another car reading reference is always welcomed by me!

#1 Mustang Fan
06-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Looks like you've done a good job there. Photos are great, very nicely brought together and looks professional. Good luck to you.

pat_ernzen
06-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Thanks a lot for the kind words, everyone. I'm glad to hear you like it and I appreciate the encouragement.

I would gladly pay for a big format print/mag.
Spreading the word on a few forums.
I've actually had quite a bit of interest in print copies of the magazine, so I'm looking into that. I was planning on printing a handful anyway, so I'm going to see if I'll be able to offer them at a price people are willing to pay. And thanks for reposting it elsewhere. :)

love the shots and the scenery. LOVE the 935
the 246 GT shoot is in there somewhere, yes?
Thanks. In the magazine, or on the site? They're on the site here:
Desert-Motors.com :: Automotive Photography - Phoenix, Arizona - 1977 Porsche DP935 Turbo (http://desert-motors.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=158)
Desert-Motors.com :: Automotive Photography - Phoenix, Arizona - 1971 Dino 246 GT (http://desert-motors.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=101)

henk4
06-03-2009, 01:38 AM
Just wondering, did you ignore my remark on purpose?

clutch-monkey
06-03-2009, 02:06 AM
thanks pat, do you have any specs on that 935 btw?

pat_ernzen
06-03-2009, 02:38 AM
Just wondering, did you ignore my remark on purpose?
No, not really. It's not like I was trying to insult you or anything. And I don't know if you were serious, but where do you mean? On the site, or in the magazine?

thanks pat, do you have any specs on that 935 btw?
A buddy of mine owns it, but he's never told me a whole lot about it (I've never asked) and I don't know much about it. :(

henk4
06-03-2009, 02:49 AM
No, not really. It's not like I was trying to insult you or anything. And I don't know if you were serious, but where do you mean? On the site, or in the magazine?

up to you, wherever it is appropriate, why not on both;)

Sledgehammer
06-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Im not able to download the magazine, gets to 50% and stalls. It seems im the only one with this problem though. :(

LeonOfTheDead
06-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Im not able to download the magazine, gets to 50% and stalls. It seems im the only one with this problem though. :(

I had to try various times, using DownTheAll, but eventually I succeeded.

Fumacher
06-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Class A work Pat! That is truly some of the best photography I have ever seen!

pat_ernzen
06-04-2009, 06:30 PM

I had to try various times, using DownTheAll, but eventually I succeeded.
That's not good... I had one other person report a similar problem, but he said he just tried again later and it worked fine. Sometimes I really dislike my hosting company.

Class A work Pat! That is truly some of the best photography I have ever seen!
Thanks, I appreciate that. :)

pat_ernzen
06-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Alright, so a few questions.

What kind of cars would you most like to see in the next issue? Either car types, makes or models. Any input is appreciated. I'm going to try to keep it pretty broad again and currently have two cars lined up, one British and one Italian and both right around 2000.

What do you think of the non-article features? I'd like to have another featured user photo, but I don't really have any new users to feature at this point. :( How about the car guessing thing? Kinda fun/interesting, or not really worth the time? It doesn't take a ton of work, but if no one really cares about it, it just takes up space. How about something like "best driving music"? I know it's been done to death, but I thought I'd try to make it more obscure music, not any lame stuff like Steppenwolf, taking suggestions from people online and adding some of my own. I'd also link it all up to some site online where you could listen to/buy all of them, like Amazon or something.

It's looking like I'll have some new article types, including some tech articles and a "local enthusiast bio" or something like that. So there should be a little more variety in the next one, but I really want to get as much feedback as I can so that I can try to provide what people actually want to see. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: And I meant to mention that I'm trying to get a bike of some sort. Possibly a rare Ducati or crazy custom of something like that.

clutch-monkey
06-07-2009, 05:20 PM
bike is a good idea :)
i like the user's photo idea, where users can submit photo's and the ones you like you can feature on the main page.

pat_ernzen
06-11-2009, 01:29 AM
bike is a good idea :)
i like the user's photo idea, where users can submit photo's and the ones you like you can feature on the main page.
I have at least one bike for the next issue. Pretty cool/special bike from the '70s. I potentially have a nearly unlimited source of bikes now, so bikes should definitely be a regular thing.

The problem with the featured user photos is that it requires users uploading photos, which really just isn't happening. I've had very, very little local community involvement on the site, unfortunately. But hopefully that'll increase some day.

I uploaded all the other photos of the Grabercars La Bala prototype that was in the magazine.

Desert-Motors.com :: Automotive Photography - Phoenix, Arizona - Grabercars La Bala Prototype (http://desert-motors.com/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=219)

faksta
06-11-2009, 02:15 AM
Pat, the magazine is great. Both the photographic material and the stories.
Regarding cars to be desired, I think it would be great to see some obscure cars, for me personally it would be awesome to see something from rarely seen etceterinis.
'Guess the car' feature is also quite interesting, I just didn't realise where to put the answers.

pat_ernzen
06-11-2009, 02:43 AM
Pat, the magazine is great. Both the photographic material and the stories.
Regarding cars to be desired, I think it would be great to see some obscure cars, for me personally it would be awesome to see something from rarely seen etceterinis.
'Guess the car' feature is also quite interesting, I just didn't realise where to put the answers.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm trying to find some more obscure stuff. The bike I have lined up is relatively obscure, I think. At the very least, quite rare. The other cars I have lined up or in mind are all pretty well known, though. I might be able to find some cool, obscure, classic stuff. At least, I hope I can. I know plenty of people with plenty of cars, it's just a matter of finding people willing and actually getting it done.

There's really not anywhere to insert answers, it's more just for fun. If you click on that page in the magazine, it should link you to a page with all the answers/full images. The "Guess the Car" feature is something I personally like, so I'm glad to hear that you at least sort of like it. I guess I just need to make it operate a little smoother. Would it be something you'd be interested in seeing in the next issue as well then?

Thanks for the input/feedback. I really do appreciate it.

pat_ernzen
07-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Here's a "teaser shot" for a feature car that will be in the the next issue, due out around the end of this month. By the start of next week, I'll hopefully have most of the shoots for the issue finished. It's been kind of rough getting shoots done with a lot of people leaving the valley for the summer and the 110+*f weather making those who stayed a little hesitant to go bring their cars out for the shoot. But I should have some cool stuff regardless.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=309910&stc=1&d=1247077275

I don't think this car will be TOO hard to figure out, but I'm curious how many people will recognize it.

NSXType-R
07-08-2009, 03:37 PM
Nope. I don't recognize it. I don't think it's a road vehicle though, the mirror is on the roof...?

ErWin76
07-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Could be Ultima GTR.

Matra et Alpine
07-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I was thinking ErWin76 was spot on ... EXCEPT ..... the side window looks open.
That line across it :( Also the curve at the top isnt' obvious enough.
The GTR doesn't open it's windows ... hence why there's a vent in it .... the height of it made me think Can AM, but I think they all were wing mounted mirrors.
Has me stumped.... looking forward to finding out.

pat_ernzen
07-08-2009, 06:21 PM
It is, in fact an Ultima GTR. The window isn't open, but he does have vinyl "shades" (basically) running across the top of the side glass to block a little extra sun (always a concern out here in the desert). Only in Ultima in Arizona I believe (and that's what he said as well).

Matra et Alpine
07-08-2009, 06:27 PM
^^^ hah .. What confused me was it looked "darker" at the bottom ... I'm guessing it's a polarisation effect.
GTR cockpit is pretty claustraphobic .... can't imagein what it's like in Arixzone temps :)

pat_ernzen
07-08-2009, 06:55 PM
^^^ hah .. What confused me was it looked "darker" at the bottom ... I'm guessing it's a polarisation effect.
GTR cockpit is pretty claustraphobic .... can't imagein what it's like in Arixzone temps :)
Ahh, looking at it again, I see what you mean. That line just above the vent is actually a fence running parallel to the road. The motion blur just kind of hides anything but the horizontal bar across the top (you can make out the vertical bars in the darker areas). And the temps weren't that bad, despite the 100+*f weather. Though, by the time I'd gotten in it the sun had pretty much set (as you can see) and I was only in it for a short while.

NSXType-R
07-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Could be Ultima GTR.

It is, in fact an Ultima GTR. The window isn't open, but he does have vinyl "shades" (basically) running across the top of the side glass to block a little extra sun (always a concern out here in the desert). Only in Ultima in Arizona I believe (and that's what he said as well).

Ah, I didn't think that it was going to be a production car. But I don't know enough about kit cars to know it was an Ultima. You learn something new everyday.