PDA

View Full Version : Kia Forte

Kitdy
06-18-2009, 02:30 PM
I was surprised that there wasn't a thread on this. I just read a largely positive review from Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/16/first-drive-2010-kia-forte-a-compelling-new-compact-sedan-optio/) and was wondering what you guys thought of t his new car and Kia's new look and image.

I think this is a pretty good looking car with great potential - it is cheaper than it's competition I believe and it seems to be powerful and offers a 5- or 6-speed manual which is cool for a car like this (even if the 6-speed isn't that great).

Attached are just a few pictures.

What are your thoughts?

Ferrer
06-18-2009, 02:34 PM
I think the exterior looks very good, modern and even a bit premium (has an Audi feel to it). The interior doesn't seem as successful, though.

All in all a competent small saloon it seems.

digitalcraft
06-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Very Honda Civic looking.

f6fhellcat13
06-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Aside from blatantly copying the Civic's styling, this ain't a bad looking car.
The only car that I can think of that this will compete with is the Nissan Versa/Tiida, as I believe that the Civic and Corolla are pretty much untouchable by a Korean car in the mind of most buyers. How does it compare to the Fit/jazz, also?
I got a vanilla/good impression form the review, but unfortunately Korea still needs to make an otherwise blockbusting car to get respectable sales.
However, it is nice to see that Kia isn't lagging too far behind Hyundai.

dydzi
06-18-2009, 03:44 PM
it also drives very well

mclaren_crazy
06-18-2009, 05:01 PM
amazing ad campaign here

Rasmus
06-18-2009, 05:30 PM
Could only be more "inspired" if it had been Chinese.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/06/kia.forte.40a_opt.jpg

http://gadgetophilia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/honda-civic-hybrid-2008-picture.jpg

For an econobox it's not bad.

demonrunning07
06-18-2009, 06:36 PM

That's the first thing I thought when I looked at it.

Spastik_Roach
06-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Certainly a total revolution compared to my mates 2001 Kia Rio....just as Hyundai did we're now seeing Kia move into the mainstream. Prices will inevitably rise which might alienate some of its past customers though. One interesting thing to note though is my mate thrashes the guts out of his Rio and it just keeps on going. Which isn't a bad sign at all really...

Rockefella
06-18-2009, 07:31 PM
They stole the headlights off the new NA Civic but I like it.

cargirl1990
06-18-2009, 10:22 PM

totally. but i like the Forte.

Aside from blatantly copying the Civic's styling, this ain't a bad looking car.
The only car that I can think of that this will compete with is the Nissan Versa/Tiida, as I believe that the Civic and Corolla are pretty much untouchable by a Korean car in the mind of most buyers. How does it compare to the Fit/jazz, also?
I got a vanilla/good impression form the review, but unfortunately Korea still needs to make an otherwise blockbusting car to get respectable sales.
However, it is nice to see that Kia isn't lagging too far behind Hyundai.

Hyundia makes Kia, did you know that? im just asking thats all. :)

That's the first thing I thought when I looked at it.

i know, it looks like a Civic.

They stole the headlights off the new NA Civic but I like it.

totally.

f6fhellcat13
06-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Hyundia makes Kia, did you know that? im just asking thats all. :)

Had no idea. Thanks for the info.:)
Still, Kia does seem to be lagging behind Hyundai in terms of product.

cargirl1990
06-18-2009, 10:31 PM

thats very true. the Hyundia Sonata and its Kia twin seem to have a major sibling rivalry. the Hyundia is a better car and almost everything even though they are twins. what the Kia lacks is mostly the nice interior and what not that the Hyundia doesn' t lack in. i see alot of potential in Hyundia's. im practically in love with those cars! ( i know, im wierd ). but! they only Kia i'd actually drive would be the Kia Soul. it looks so neat.

Ferrer
06-18-2009, 10:34 PM
That's because they are positioned as the cheap version of Hyundai, while Hyundai is the main brand of the group.

cargirl1990
06-18-2009, 10:36 PM
That's because they are positioned as the cheap version of Hyundai, while Hyundai is the main brand of the group.

oh yeah... that two! :) ^

f6fhellcat13
06-18-2009, 10:40 PM

I guess that make sense now that the brands have diverged somewhat, but back when they were making the same pile of shit in a slightly different shape is what gets me. They've been together since '98 and for like 6 of those years, at least, they've made equally cheap equally shitty cars. That's GM/BL/FIAT level of sales cannibalization.

4wheelsonline
06-19-2009, 12:57 AM
thats very true. the Hyundia Sonata and its Kia twin seem to have a major sibling rivalry. the Hyundia is a better car and almost everything even though they are twins. what the Kia lacks is mostly the nice interior and what not that the Hyundia doesn' t lack in. i see alot of potential in Hyundia's. im practically in love with those cars! ( i know, im wierd ). but! they only Kia i'd actually drive would be the Kia Soul. it looks so neat.

Kia is still doing their best to rival Hyundai but Hyundai is more advance in making cars. :p

digitalcraft
06-20-2009, 01:27 AM
I imagine that they'll keep Kia as the more affordable option. Direct competition with your own brand isn't a great idea. Or maybe they're going off the American Auto Industry model, who knows.

cargirl1990
06-20-2009, 09:14 PM
and the purpose of Kia's existence is what? i donno other than the fact that its a cheaper brand compared to the main brand, Hyundia. i'd kill it while its young now and come up with another brand.

Ferrer
06-21-2009, 02:53 AM
and the purpose of Kia's existence is what? i donno other than the fact that its a cheaper brand compared to the main brand, Hyundia. i'd kill it while its young now and come up with another brand.
The purpose of Kia is exactly the one you said, being cheaper, simpler Hyundais.

LeonOfTheDead
06-21-2009, 03:07 AM

Kia Motors has been founded in 1944
Hyundai Motor Company has been founded in 1967

Rasmus
06-21-2009, 07:15 AM

You have much to learn, young one :)

I was actually going to post this, but instead I got a giggle out of it. Grazie mille di cuore.

LeonOfTheDead
06-21-2009, 07:38 AM

I was actually going to post this, but instead I got a giggle out of it. Grazie mille di cuore.

you're welcome mate, and good Italian too (just a bit too romantic :p)

Rasmus
06-21-2009, 07:45 AM
you're welcome mate, and good Italian too (just a bit too romantic :p)

Heeheehee, I know, but I only know enough to convince the ladies.

LeonOfTheDead
06-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Heeheehee, I know, but I only know enough to convince the ladies.

That's fine then, even if the best way to convince ladies is to convince them you don't know their language good enough to express yourself as you would like. :D

cargirl1990
06-21-2009, 09:39 PM
Kia is still doing their best to rival Hyundai but Hyundai is more advance in making cars. :p

The purpose of Kia is exactly the one you said, being cheaper, simpler Hyundais.

i know! but i always thought that Hyundia's were cheap, affordable, i guess, reliable ( well now they are ), cars to offer to the public. i thought that Kia's were just doing the same thing as Hyundai and thought to just get rid of them.

whoa, didn't know that! :)

yeah, i know i have alot to learn.:o;):)