PDA

View Full Version : Edo Competition Ferrari California

Ecnelis
06-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Edo Competition Ferrari California #1

edo competition California Spider

something really special …
… edo competition presents the California Spider with fine accessories

The Ferrari 599, 612 and 430 have had offspring. The open two-seater, dubbed the California Spider, with its retractable aluminum hard top is the new entry level model among the sports car offerings from Maranello. Having been introduced to the world at the Paris Motor Show last October, the California Spider can now be admired on our roads, too.

For those who wish to further personalize the appearance and performance of this exceptional sports car, edo competition is now offering very special accessories.

Newly-developed wheel/tire sets in 20 and 21 inches are guaranteed to draw amazed looks from passers-by. The wheels are available in several attractive designs. Customers can also opt for a lowered ride height or the addition of a sport suspension system. The sport suspension is adjustable in both compression and rebound damping, allowing for a custom tailored ride for cruising, spirited driving, or competition.

To make sure the performance of a vehicle as special as the California is up to par in all aspects, edo competition also offers custom ECU recalibration. After reprogramming the production ECU, the 8-cylinder engine now generates 367 kW (500HP) and 369 ft-lb of torque at 5,200 rpm. In addition to the recalibrated electronics edo competition can install a newly-developed high performance exhaust system featuring adjustable butterfly valves and custom designed high flow catalytic converters with a 200 cell per square inch metal core.

This well-matched combination enables the engine to develop its new-found power in an impressive manner. The treatment also provides a torque increase that is particularly noticeable in everyday driving. As a result, the performance figures of the edo California Spider are improved as well: It can accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in a phenomenal 3.9 seconds and the top speed is an impressive 315 km/h (196 mph).

As with all edo competition models, we set no limit to our customers’ imaginations. Special interiors or lavish leather upholstery, individual requests are accommodated and executed with quality.

All modifications are carried out exclusively at edo competition Motorsport GmbH in Ahlen.

Ecnelis
06-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Edo Competition Ferrari California #2

Ecnelis
06-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Edo Competition Ferrari California #3

Ecnelis
06-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Edo Competition Ferrari California #4

NicFromLA
06-18-2009, 04:35 PM
First of all, the California costs more than the F430 coupe, so it's not "the entry level model". Second, the people who ordered those cars are going to be PISSED when they find out turners are already getting cars to chop up before most customers have theirs.

demonrunning07
06-18-2009, 06:41 PM
I still can't say anything good about this car

Spastik_Roach
06-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Coming soon in a hip hop video near you...

NSXType-R
06-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Facepalm.

Roentgen
06-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Nothing has changed, in terms of look, other than the wheels?

clutch-monkey
06-18-2009, 10:16 PM
those wheels are huge
and yet the brakes barely fit under them
something is wrong here..

Ferrer
06-18-2009, 10:35 PM
those wheels are huge
A lot, rather than something I'd say...

Wouter Melissen
06-18-2009, 10:39 PM
First of all, the California costs more than the F430 coupe, so it's not "the entry level model". Second, the people who ordered those cars are going to be PISSED when they find out turners are already getting cars to chop up before most customers have theirs.

It's not so much tuners getting the cars but the first owners sending their car over to the tuners. There is little Ferrari can do about that.

f6fhellcat13
06-18-2009, 10:43 PM
It's not so much tuners getting the cars but the first owners sending their car over to the tuners. There is little Ferrari can do about that.

I assume Ferrari keeps pretty close tabs on their customers. If they see somebody tuning a Ferrari they could refuse them in the future. Probably'd piss a lotta people off, but if they're worried about pure blood, it's one of the few things I can think for them to do.

cargirl1990
06-18-2009, 10:44 PM
I still can't say anything good about this car

Coming soon in a hip hop video near you...

Facepalm.

those wheels are huge

i agree.

Ferrer
06-18-2009, 10:45 PM
I assume Ferrari keeps pretty close tabs on their customers. If they see somebody tuning a Ferrari they could refuse them in the future. Probably'd piss a lotta people off, but if they're worried about pure blood, it's one of the few things I can think for them to do.
If they were worried about such a thing they wouldn't have made the California in the first place.

f6fhellcat13
06-18-2009, 10:53 PM
If they were worried about such a thing they wouldn't have made the California in the first place.
Was about to edit my post to similar effect.

So, I suppose, this is the California's calling. Big reeims, gold-plated fart cans, and a big sound system; coming to a California to you.
"Eureka!"

NicFromLA
06-18-2009, 11:56 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself.

henk4
06-19-2009, 12:17 AM
I couldn't have said it better myself.
plus, for (much) later,(and in the unlikely case that some rapper did not already hang it around a tree) this car will not receive a Classiche Certificate...

switters78
06-19-2009, 12:45 PM
plus, for (much) later,(and in the unlikely case that some rapper did not already hang it around a tree) this car will not receive a Classiche Certificate...

I find it hard to believe that people who have their Ferraris tuned in this fashion would even be able to tell the difference in performance much before they hung it around a tree...obviously it's just a status thing. I wonder if the guy even drove the car before he decided it needed to be "tuned"?

faksta
06-19-2009, 01:13 PM
With everything said I'd like to say that Edo Competition are among those 'good guys'. They got my respect after making an even more decent car from MC12.

Kitdy
06-19-2009, 01:54 PM
With everything said I'd like to say that Edo Competition are among those 'good guys'. They got my respect after making an even more decent car from MC12.

There's no such thing as a good tuner.

f6fhellcat13
06-19-2009, 02:04 PM
See, now that is simply untrue and stupid.
Abarth, Alpine, Yenko, and others.
Sure most tuners are shit, but that is a pretty grievous oversimplification and generalization.

Kitdy
06-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Sure most tuners are shit, but that is a pretty grievous oversimplification and generalization.

You are correct I retract that and replace it with there's no such thing as a good modern tuner.

Ferrer
06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
You are correct I retract that and replace it with there's no such thing as a good modern tuner.
Alpina is acceptable.

DesmoRob
06-19-2009, 03:46 PM
First of all, the California costs more than the F430 coupe, so it's not "the entry level model"

I was always under the impression that this was supposed to be the entry level model. If its not, what then is the point of the car? They may as well have just chopped the roof off the 599 :confused:, rather than bring out a whole new car.

LeonOfTheDead
06-19-2009, 04:36 PM

They loose the warranty, just Stola and Novitec are allowed to tune Ferraris being also technical partners involved in the design.

Those with a function as that mentioned above.
So basically a lot of the German ones, but I consider them "good" only when they are designing the real thing, then when they sold some Cayenne/Touareg/Q7/whatever-based abomination, they loose all my "appreciation".

Alpina is registered as a car maker, not as a tuner.
Abarth was a brand, now it's a badge.

KFL's modified Maseratis are pretty sick though.

cargirl1990
06-19-2009, 09:34 PM
new school Ferrari will NEVER beat old school Ferrari.

Sledgehammer
06-19-2009, 09:45 PM
new school Ferrari will NEVER beat old school Ferrari.

Im going to go ahead and, disagree with that statement. Just what will an old school Ferrari beat a new school Ferrari at? The only thing that it will always be is old school. People can always argue looks, comfort, sex appeal, and whatnots. A sweeping statement like that makes me smirk at the broadness of it. A similar statement is lthat "The 1.8t NeVAR lOOsis"

cargirl1990
06-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Im going to go ahead and, disagree with that statement. Just what will an old school Ferrari beat a new school Ferrari at? The only thing that it will always be is old school. People can always argue looks, comfort, sex appeal, and whatnots. A sweeping statement like that makes me smirk at the broadness of it. A similar statement is lthat "The 1.8t NeVAR lOOsis"

im into old school Ferrari's. the new ones just aren't very appealing to me anymore. BUT i also like Ferrari's from the 80's and 90's as well. its ok to disagree with someone. everybody is entitled to their own opinion. :)

faksta
06-20-2009, 12:57 AM

Hey, they didn't even touch it from the outside but made it free of 'small Enzo' complexes. They've made what Ferrari didn't allow to make from the very beginning.

Ferrer
06-20-2009, 02:56 AM
I was always under the impression that this was supposed to be the entry level model. If its not, what then is the point of the car? They may as well have just chopped the roof off the 599 :confused:, rather than bring out a whole new car.
To appeal at blondes who can't drive.

LeonOfTheDead
06-20-2009, 03:26 AM

The 599 has some integrity issues regarding the roof, we are not going to see a production version of a open top 599, maybe just a limited edition a la Superamerica.

The California on the other hand is the basis of the new F151 (aka 612's replacement) and of the next Maserati Quattroporte.

clutch-monkey
06-20-2009, 03:58 AM

no, i think the issue is not even modern tuners. it's just that group you always see making press releases for new pointless cars.
you know the gang, mansory/hammann/novitec etc

2ndclasscitizen
06-20-2009, 04:50 AM
There's plenty of good tuners, they just get drowned out by the crowds of horrible bodykit and wheel sellers who throw on some new cans and chip they bought in and call themselves a tuner.

NicFromLA
06-20-2009, 03:14 PM

The California is a GT car, while the F430 and, theoretically the 430 Spyder are sports cars. I say "theoretically" because I've never seen a 430 Spyder driven in LA with any speed or seriousness.

NicFromLA
06-20-2009, 03:20 PM

Question: Who is the bigger poser? The moderately talented driver driving a California moderately fast, or the 430 Spyder driver driving up and down Rodeo Drive at 5 MPH with the top down trying to get girls to give him their number?

LeonOfTheDead
06-20-2009, 03:24 PM
F430 Spider please. :)

Ferrer
06-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Question: Who is the bigger poser? The moderately talented driver driving a California moderately fast, or the 430 Spyder driver driving up and down Rodeo Drive at 5 MPH with the top down trying to get girls to give him their number?
I doubt the talented driver will care about the California in the first place.

LeonOfTheDead
06-20-2009, 03:46 PM

regardless of my talent, I would.
And I would also fix the roof as I don't care about driving an open top but I like its style.

Ferrer
06-20-2009, 03:48 PM
regardless of my talent, I would.
And I would also fix the roof as I don't care about driving an open top but I like its style.
I wouldn't.

If I wanted a proper sportscar, there are other better options even within the Ferrari range. And if I wanted a grand tourer I'd have a Maserati GranTurismo.

The California is nothing more than Ferrari's Cayenne.

LeonOfTheDead
06-20-2009, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't.

If I wanted a proper sportscar, there are other better options even within the Ferrari range. And if I wanted a grand tourer I'd have a Maserati GranTurismo.

I didn't say I wanted a proper sportscar, or a grand tourer, I just like the California, and if I had those money I'd probably go for one pf it and for other cars too.

Saying it's like a Cayenne it's just a huge hyperbole.
if it was someone else saying it, I'd said it was just a BS.
I seriously don't see what's wrong with it as not being a real Ferrari.
what is a real Ferrari?!

a lightweight mid engined car?
a front engined V12 car?
a 2+2 grand tourer?
a bare bone barchetta?
a F1 adapted to the road?
a 2+2 with a folding hard top?

all of them, and none if you like.
Now it can be heavy (find a lightweight similar car then), it may be bad looking which isn't a point for saying it's a proper *whatever brand here* or not, it may be designed for women, which I'm very happy about this as they will stop buying silly AMG SUVs perhaps, it may be "easier" to drive, which is just a sign of the damn times, but it isn't something Ferrari has never done before.

My only problems with the California are the lack of a coupe version, the design of the central monitor which is quite cheap imo, and the two rear seats which are simply embarrassing (if you didn't saw those of a 911 recently).
Other than that, just personal opinions.

But while a car like a Cayenne is done just because VW and Audi exist, and just to raise money at an indecent level, the California is a pure Ferrari which will help developing other cars as the F151 and possibly the next 599, without doing what is cool at the moment, but what would sell as a Ferrari.
I don't recall the presence of a trend about nearly-200.000 € fast car with a folding hard top as there was (and still is) one about large and stupidly over engined fake off-roaders.

Ferrer
06-20-2009, 04:15 PM
The problem with it, in my opinion, hasn't got anything to do with the ability of the car itself or the mechanical specifications or any of that.

See what Ferrari stands for in my view are cars for the drivers. In the same way that Toyotas are meant to be cheap reliable appliances. This hasn't be desgined with the driver in mind. And therefore it can't be a proper Ferrari in the same way that the Cayenne shouldn't be a Porsche.

This was designed to broaden the appeal of Ferrari, to include customers that hadn't previously thought of Ferrari as a possible alternative for their car, because they were too hard, too focused, too uncomfortable, too temperamental. Which why it's big, and has a folding metal roof and it's slightly overweight. It's V8 was desgined to have more torque, not more revs.

Which is why this is in my opinion not a good Ferrari, which doesn't mean it can't be a good car. This is Ferrari making selling more cars and making more money. Nothing else. This is, therefore, exactly like Porsche making the Cayenne.

LeonOfTheDead
06-20-2009, 04:27 PM
The problem with it, in my opinion, hasn't got anything to do with the ability of the car itself or the mechanical specifications or any of that.

See what Ferrari stands for in my view are cars for the drivers. In the same way that Toyotas are meant to be cheap reliable appliances. This hasn't be desgined with the driver in mind. And therefore it can't be a proper Ferrari in the same way that the Cayenne shouldn't be a Porsche.

This was designed to broaden the appeal of Ferrari, to include customers that hadn't previously thought of Ferrari as a possible alternative for their car, because they were too hard, too focused, too uncomfortable, too temperamental. Which why it's big, and has a folding metal roof and it's slightly overweight. It's V8 was desgined to have more torque, not more revs.

Which is why this is in my opinion not a good Ferrari, which doesn't mean it can't be a good car. This is Ferrari making selling more cars and making more money. Nothing else. This is, therefore, exactly like Porsche making the Cayenne.

Even an Enzo is done just to make more money though.
Or better, the 612 Sessanta, which with just 60 units, managed to get 4 Million € more than with 60 standard 612s.

Regarding the California not being designed with drivers in mind, I think it's the exact opposite, it's just that you have to consider not you or me, but the actual Ferrari customer.
He buys a car just because of what it is, not for what it can do or for what he will ask to the car, if not occasionally in front of a club to conquer the usual hot blond.

They buy a 599 just to has the best thing on the market to reach their homes, or to got to work in downtown, looking cool as much as possible.
Then the 599 burns and everyone wonder why.
Because it wasn't used as it should have.

Then there are those buying an F430, or even a 599, and pretend that just because of what they own they are excellent drivers. You already know wreckedexotics.com, so you even know as the story ends.

For all of these customers, an easier to drive and more comfortable car just makes a huge sense. This, or an SL63.

Regarding the engine, the direct injection was used in this car firstly since they knew the car could have been an hot selling model, so it would have helped paying back the investment.
In this way the system is now already tested enough for an extremer application on the F142.
In order to do things completely safely, the engine is a bit less powerful, something people are used to when they get "green" stuff on their engines.
So if you have to calm down the engine a bit, here is the opportunity to have a bit more torque, or better, a more constant torque over the revs range.
And so is the DSG gearbox, the chassis, the electronics and so on.

The car may have been advertised as a markerting product, but it's actually an engineering and production product.

Also, regarding it's behavior, they were so happy about the behavior while developing it I'd definitely contest its not being a driver car.

Ferrer
06-20-2009, 04:32 PM
They buy a 599 just to has the best thing on the market to reach their homes, or to got to work in downtown, looking cool as much as possible.
Then the 599 burns and everyone wonder why.
Because it wasn't used as it should have.

Then there are those buying an F430, or even a 599, and pretend that just because of what they own they are excellent drivers. You already know wreckedexotics.com, so you even know as the story ends.
Well that's exactly what a Ferrari should do. And that's why Ferrari is what it is now.

The California... well the California is something else.

LeonOfTheDead
06-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Well that's exactly what a Ferrari should do. And that's why Ferrari is what it is now.

If all Ferrari burn or kill you, then there is no market/need for any kind of Ferrari. Giving them a brake it's just a sensible decision.
It's still better looking, even considering its time, than the Mondials, which were basically the same kind of car and which didn't kill Ferrari, its image, or modified the customers significantly toward twats, morons, and douches.

Kitdy
06-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Were not the old Superamericas GT's/Cruisers? Wouter said somewhere that the California did fit in Ferrari's tradition and I think that it might.

How much of a sportscar were the old 250s? Were they not at least in part GT?

LeonOfTheDead
06-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Were not the old Superamericas GT's/Cruisers? Wouter said somewhere that the California did fit in Ferrari's tradition and I think that it might.

How much of a sportscar were the old 250s? Were they not at least in part GT?

definition are always debatable in this field.
I could still quote the 250 GT Lusso as a tremendously fast car which didn't completely sacrifice the comfort and quality of the ride.
Or even the original California which was a completely different car compared to the modern one. On the other hand, I think they both fit the idea of an open top fast car, each at its own time.

2ndclasscitizen
06-21-2009, 04:33 AM

I wouldn't.

And I wonder why I hardly ever bother coming here anymore.

Kitdy
06-21-2009, 01:34 PM
And I wonder why I hardly ever bother coming here anymore.

A bit harsh, don't you think? The man has his view.