PDA

View Full Version : Racing experience days.

VtecMini
05-15-2004, 11:53 AM
I was at one of those racing experience days today. I wasn't driving, but a few of my friends and I went down just to have a look at the cars and watch the driving, cos it was free entry. We saw some nice cars, a pair of 360 spyders, a 550 maranello, an M12 GTO, a Mk1 E type, a pair of 328s and a testarossa.

As I was wandering round, I picked up a leaflet with the prices on and It wasn't as costly as i'd imagined. The pick of the lot for me was Porsche one, with a warm up in a "hot hatch" (presumably one of the focus RS that were loitering around the back) 4 laps in a boxster, then some tutoring and then a blast around in a 911. It caught my eye because it's only £195 and it seemed a bit more on the sensible side. (Don't fancy stepping straight into an M12 somehow...)

So basically to get to the point, I really fancy it, but I'm not a particularly skilled driver, I've never been on a track but I've got a pretty good understanding of a racing line.

Has anyone else tried one of these?

Would they recommend them?

Is there perhaps a better first step into track driving?

Matra et Alpine
05-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Is there perhaps a better first step into track driving?
Yes.yes,yes.

First you get honest instruction and evaluation from an experienced race driver - usually local club races.
You will learn the best lines, how to control weight transfer, braking and throttle control and how that affects the handling and lap times of the car.
I was lucky to spend about an hour on track with Tim Harvey in my car and he took nearly 10 seconds off my lap times by modifying my driving style to better suit the track and the car.

Second, you get to tear up in a fast track-prepared saloon

Third, you get out in a seriously hot car.

If you like it, you can then consider extended packages - most tracks have 1 and 2 day courses. You get your face known at the track. You maybe can consider going for license.

AND it's all great fun ( unless you've a prat on your track day and then they ruin it for everyone ).

Personally I think one day like that should be compulsory to get your driving license. But then, I'm biased at what a track and professional driver can teach :)

PS: Don't try to go too fast or one of 2 things happen. The worst is you go off and damage something. Alternatively they'll black flag you and curtail your on-track time ( happened to me :( )